Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
Pitbull762

AKaholic #: 158161
Default VEPR Pioneer mount and questions

I own 2 pioneers, one in 223 and one in 762. Havent shot them yet, but they look great. Only problem was i had to modify the stock to fit the magazines in my 762 but now it works fine.

Anyways, the scope rail sits a little higher on the reciever and im curious what you guys are running for mounts. Theres one on kalinka but before i drop 400 on 2 of them i want to see if anyone has ran them before.

Also, the cap on the end just covers the threads right? I'm getting mixed answers some say that they have the built in brake but these look like no brake, like the one i have seen with the cuts in the barrel. and are they threaded 14x1?
Pitbull762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 160303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull762 View Post
I own 2 pioneers, one in 223 and one in 762. Havent shot them yet, but they look great. Only problem was i had to modify the stock to fit the magazines in my 762 but now it works fine.

Anyways, the scope rail sits a little higher on the reciever and im curious what you guys are running for mounts. Theres one on kalinka but before i drop 400 on 2 of them i want to see if anyone has ran them before.

Also, the cap on the end just covers the threads right? I'm getting mixed answers some say that they have the built in brake but these look like no brake, like the one i have seen with the cuts in the barrel. and are they threaded 14x1?

This is the problem with Fudded-out Veprs made to curry favor with slave states: they're really quirky and aren't supported well by the factory.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304310

A Saiga Sporter, if you can find one, is a better option for Commiefornia, and utilizes many standard AK parts & accessories / scope mounts.
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
MURICA

AKaholic #: 192256

Even more glad I traded the 5.45 one I had now. I love the look, stock, 20.5" barrel, but modification of mags (or the receiver for some :/) and challenges like this at every corner, forced me to go a new route.
MURICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
HectorEscaton

AKaholic #: 192144

With some mods, the Kalinka mount is good, but it basically needs to be custom fit to the rifle. I'm still working on mine.
HectorEscaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
Pitbull762

AKaholic #: 158161

Oh I have most Saiga calibers minus .410 but I don't know why I was really digging the pioneer look but now I'm starting to regret it. I mean, I know they're some what new but there's NO after market support. Starting to regretting getting both calibers haha plus the first thing I did when I got home was put my PSO from my s308 on there and it was as bad as trying to use the TIGR irons with the cheek rest up haha
Pitbull762 is offline   Reply With Quote