Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > RKBA and Legal

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
fgw_in_fla
Up Your Nose With a Rubber Hose
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165386
Default Florida Guys - WE GOT IT!!!

Even if you're not a resident, send Gov. Scott and email asking him to sign this bill:

The critical self-defense bill/burden of proof bill has not yet reached the Governor's desk but already prosecutors and anti-gun organizations are lobbying the Governor to veto SB-128 Burden of Proof.

SB-128 Burden of Proof by Sen. Rob Bradley and Rep. Bobby Payne restores the presumption of innocence in self-defense cases by putting the burden of proof BACK ON THE STATE where it belongs.

Please use the following email address to contact the Governor and ask him to Please Sign SB-128 Burden of Proof.

Rick.Scott@eog.myflorida.com

Edited Info:
Early yesterday evening, Friday, June 9th, Governor Rick Scott SIGNED INTO LAW the two critically important self-defense bills we have been urging him to sign.

One, SB-128 Burden of Proof by Sen. Rob Bradley and Rep. Bobby Payne restores the presumption of innocence in self-defense cases by putting the burden of proof BACK ON THE STATE where it belongs. SB-128 took effect IMMEDIATELY.

When prosecutors and judges use procedures to circumvent the rights of law-abiding people and the will of the Legislature, it cannot be tolerated.

Procedures do not have the weight of law and now the Legislature and the Governor have erased these abusive procedures in self-defense cases and have legislatively made sure these self-defense rights are reinstated. Pending cases should have the retroactive benefit of the Legislature and the Governor erasing these malicious procedures.

The second, SB-1052 Justifiable Use of Force by Sen. David Simmons and Rep. Cord Byrd corrects a 2014 drafting error (by a member of the House Criminal Justice Committee Staff) resulting in a requirement that citizens be under attack in their own homes before exercising self-defense and in some circumstances imposing a duty to retreat from your home before exercising self-defense.

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit

Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 06-10-2017 at 09:17 PM.
fgw_in_fla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
cubanb

AKaholic #: 173896

sent
cubanb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #3
fgw_in_fla
Up Your Nose With a Rubber Hose
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165386

Looks like Gov. Rick did us righteous

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit
fgw_in_fla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #4
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

The first and only State so far to put the burden of proof on the prosecutors, rather than the defense. Huge...big move. Need other States to follow suit. PA especially.

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."

Education beats propaganda!
Renov8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #5
AKGator

AKaholic #: 188909

Great news, a win for freedom and our republic.
AKGator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Originally the pre-trial hearing rules didn't make much sense.

They required the defendant to testify and present their defense BEFORE the trial.

Zimmerman's lawyer waived the hearing as he thought it didn't apply.

If the defendant is found to have initiated the confrontation, then the case goes to trial.

This may have been the reason for waiving the hearing, or because it would have required Zimmerman to present his defense case BEFORE the trial.

Waiving the pre-trial hearing did work out for Zimmerman.

With the new rules, the prosecution has to show to a judge at a pre-trial hearing why the case should go to trial.

The defendant could have been legally defending himself, but if he is found to have initiated the confrontation, he can still stand trial.

That doesn't mean he wasn't legally defending himself, but the judge can't find so if the defendant initiated the confrontation.

It helps make the pre-trial hearing make a bit more sense.

Some defendants may still want to waive the pre-trial hearing.

Zimmerman had the option of driving away.

He followed Martin.

He likely wouldn't have had success at the pre-trial hearing to not go to trial.

He would have had to testify and present his defense BEFORE the trial.

Even if he had followed, threatened, assaulted or confronted Martin, when Martin is slamming his head against the concrete, he can still legally defend himself.

His pre-trial hearing just wouldn't have been successful.

Last edited by allesennogwat; 06-12-2017 at 08:24 AM.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:02 AM   #7
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

Sometimes it is good to be a Floridian ! The first state to start the " Shall Issue " conceal carry permit system . The first state to create " stand your ground ' law , I think . And now this " burden of proof is on the state " in self-defense shootings . I think I'll stay put , here in Florida .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

AKaholic #: 157162

Now give us suppressors without the NFA bullshit!
Sublimeon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
Sometimes it is good to be a Floridian ! The first state to start the " Shall Issue " conceal carry permit system . The first state to create " stand your ground ' law , I think . And now this " burden of proof is on the state " in self-defense shootings . I think I'll stay put , here in Florida .
That's not just for shootings, but for anybody claiming self-defense.