Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #876
rcm1201

AKaholic #: 165990

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
I just started mining ethereum because I do research in that area for work and it inspired me to contribute to updating he ledger via the mining process.

I can't stand when my 25-30 year old peers talk about trading ethereum because their friend said to get in at 90$ a coin and now it's 333$ a coin. What they don't know is any rely in any crypto currency is very hard to explain why it happened.

I feel like it's hard to have your finger on the pulse of these crypto currencies to trade in and out of them.

Anyone else fuck around with Bitcoin zcash ethereum monero or something else?

I have no doubt the market cap of crypto currencies will rise long term, but I am not confident at all which currencies will win. I like ethereum and monero due to their architecture but I don't think they have an economic moat that makes them safe.
I learned about Ethereum back in May. I was putting $3000-$4000 a month into stocks but decided to throw $5,000 into some Ether for shits back then. Went from $70 to $400 ($350 currently). I'm selling my initial investment's worth of $5,000 and letting the rest ride for fun
rcm1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #877
LinaRibo

AKaholic #: 192970

Quote:
I can't stand when my 25-30 year old peers talk about trading ethereum because their friend said to get in at 90$ a coin and now it's 333$ a coin. What they don't know is any rely in any crypto currency is very hard to explain why it happened.

I feel like it's hard to have your finger on the pulse of these crypto currencies to trade in and out of them.

Anyone else fuck around with Bitcoin zcash ethereum monero or something else?
Blockchain methods sunk in past, I realised it after my college mates invested in bitcoins - not that successfully. I try collective investment funds. The short scheme:
the fund appoints a management company (fund managers)
investors make a capital contribution to the fund
fund managers purchase properties with the money from investors
fund managers generate profits and direct them to the fund
profits from lease and/or resale of property are distributed among the investors in the fund proportionately to their share (it's from an article)
I believe it's a nice option of investment for those who saved amount of money to 30 y.o.

Last edited by LinaRibo; 06-17-2017 at 03:30 PM.
LinaRibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #878
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard

AKaholic #: 173872

Kroger is getting crushed by Amazon's acquisition of Whole Foods.

Anyone buying?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #879
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

AKaholic #: 5952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes0623 View Post

Anyone buying?
KR went down hard the day before the announcement on a really shitty earnings report.
So it was a double whammy.

They're not done going down yet so I'm staying well clear but I'll be watching it.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 PM   #880
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarhead View Post
KR went down hard the day before the announcement on a really shitty earnings report.
So it was a double whammy.

They're not done going down yet so I'm staying well clear but I'll be watching it.
Top line growth was solid. The CEO blames the sharp decrease in net income for the quarter on price matching competitors on milk & eggs. Add to that the fact that when you include fuel sales same store sales grew 1.6%.

IMHO a little bad news in a market not used to any combined with Amazon acquiring WHF has created a nice opportunity for a buy & hold. The 2.15% dividend is a nice bonus.

I'd be a lot more comfortable buying in the $17-$18 range but I'd always prefer to shave an extra 15-20% off of every stock I'm considering buying lol.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #881
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

Quote:
Top line growth was solid. The CEO blames the sharp decrease in net income for the quarter on price matching competitors on milk & eggs. Add to that the fact that when you include fuel sales same store sales grew 1.6%.

IMHO a little bad news in a market not used to any combined with Amazon acquiring WHF has created a nice opportunity for a buy & hold. The 2.15% dividend is a nice bonus.

I'd be a lot more comfortable buying in the $17-$18 range but I'd always prefer to shave an extra 15-20% off of every stock I'm considering buying lol.
More likely you'll be buying in the 10-12 range.

Stock is totally broken.

Investors are nowhere near finished fleeing from it.

I wouldn't touch it at all for now.

YMMV, of course and it's your money.
That's just MO on it and worth less than you paid for it.

FL remains a vastly better deal IMO and is just about the only thing I'm seeing in the whole SP500 worth buying for now.
Even that doesn't appear to be done going down so I wouldn't recommend buying that one right now either.
I have been but doing so carefully and incrementally.
Hasn't bottomed yet.

However, it's a lot closer to its bottom than KR is.

Again, just MO.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 AM   #882
hinkak

AKaholic #: 184602

hinkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #883
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard

Thanks for the sounding board Doc. Probably getting out over my skis a little looking for opportunities in a market with precious few.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #884
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

Quote:
Thanks for the sounding board Doc. Probably getting out over my skis a little looking for opportunities in a market with precious few.
Yeah, very few, if any, at the moment.

It might be okay to buy some KR currently but leave yourself some room to buy in at a lower price point.

That's my approach to this anyhow.
I'm not buying any KR yet though.
Maybe in a week or two. We'll see where it goes.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #885
yuik

AKaholic #: 188386

Quote:

Anyone buying?
I really don't like Kroger or any grocery stores. The last win I had in this area was whitewave foods, I would buy an organic mid to small cap food producer if I could find one.

Or maybe Walmart.

But I think food will be the next oil, we are oversupplied and prices keep coming down and down. I am not sure what Krogers economic moat is, hence why I wouldn't be eager to buy.

I'm far from an expert on this area as you can rell
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #886
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard

Quote:
I really don't like Kroger or any grocery stores. The last win I had in this area was whitewave foods, I would buy an organic mid to small cap food producer if I could find one.

Or maybe Walmart.

But I think food will be the next oil, we are oversupplied and prices keep coming down and down. I am not sure what Krogers economic moat is, hence why I wouldn't be eager to buy.

I'm far from an expert on this area as you can rell
Kroger is the largest traditional grocery chain in America. No real moat but the competition is significantly smaller with the exception of Wal-Mart of course.

My thinking on it is that though the Amazon/Whole Foods acquisition shouldn't be ignored I don't believe it will have much of an impact on kroger in the short term. Obviously Internet ordered drone delivered groceries are the way of the future, I expect in the large cities they'll get it down to pizza delivery "30 mins or less" efficiency in the next 5-6 years. However for now their customer bases just don't overlap much either economically or geographically.

Also as I stated above their poor sales numbers may have been skewed by a short term milk & eggs price war with their competitors.

This obviously isn't a get rich quick play, nor am I a buyer at $22 (I was thinking sub $20). Should it dip into the high teens I think there's some value there. Median target price is $34.50.

I'll be keeping my eye on it & if it does dip into the teens I'm a buyer. Probably 150 shares in the high teens, 300 shares in the mid & if it does get down to the 10-12 range as Doc speculated 500 shares. That would put me at 950 shares at an average of $14-ish. Even if the median target price is off 20% that would leave me doubling my money plus the dividend over the next few years.

Edit to add: Or the whole thing goes tits up, the stock falls off the cliff I cling to hope until it hits $2.22 at which point I finally accept the inevitable sell & lose my ass. Lol

Last edited by Jabes0623; 06-19-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Jabes0623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #887
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

I don't see grocerices going the route of most AMZN's products.

Esp in the realm of meat and produce.
People will get really pissed when AMZN delivers a shitty head of lettuce or wilting celery.

So there is a moat but I'm not sure how wide it is.

KR bought Roundy's a year or two back. The Debt hung heavy on them and they seem to be having difficulty making the transition. Perhaps that is in part due to the supply chain. Not sure.

The entire retail industry is in jeopardy due to AMZN. At least that's the way everyone's treating it.
MO is that shoes and groceries have some protection so will get oversold.

I just don't think the sell off in KR is done yet. We'll see.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #888
bbguns44

AKaholic #: 6939

Short Tesla at above $400. It takes balls of steel but TSLA has major weakness & I am guessing the problems will show up in the 2nd half of the year. Stock should go above
$400 with the first delivery of the Model X in July.

AMZN is not going to do any better with groceries than they did with their smart phones.
bbguns44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #889
yuik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguns44 View Post
Short Tesla at above $400. It takes balls of steel but TSLA has major weakness & I am guessing the problems will show up in the 2nd half of the year. Stock should go above
$400 with the first delivery of the Model X in July.

AMZN is not going to do any better with groceries than they did with their smart phones.
What are teslas major problems?

Solar city looks like shit and they don't have cash. Anything else you can describe.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #890
yuik

Quote:
I don't see grocerices going the route of most AMZN's products.

Esp in the realm of meat and produce.
People will get really pissed when AMZN delivers a shitty head of lettuce or wilting celery.

So there is a moat but I'm not sure how wide it is.

KR bought Roundy's a year or two back. The Debt hung heavy on them and they seem to be having difficulty making the transition. Perhaps that is in part due to the supply chain. Not sure.

The entire retail industry is in jeopardy due to AMZN. At least that's the way everyone's treating it.
MO is that shoes and groceries have some protection so will get oversold.

I just don't think the sell off in KR is done yet. We'll see.
But why does Amazon need to "Amazon" Whole Foods.

They can throw in free milk and eggs to prime members to get them to come to the store at a loss to gain customers. They can spend their way to hurting everyone but maybe Walmart and Costco.

Not sure how Amazon can't just leave Whole Foods as it is and completely destroy their magins in order to put everyone but Costco and Walmart out of the food industry.

Also does this mean target is fucked? I would think yes but would love to hear why they have a chance. I personally really like target the stores never busy so it's easy to shop quickly.

Also in 8 years if we have a liberal tidal wave could there ever be a good argument to start breaking up Amazon with some anti trust legislation? I think no but what are your thoughts
Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #891
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

Quote:
But why does Amazon need to "Amazon" Whole Foods.

They can throw in free milk and eggs to prime members to get them to come to the store at a loss to gain customers. They can spend their way to hurting everyone but maybe Walmart and Costco.

Not sure how Amazon can't just leave Whole Foods as it is and completely destroy their magins in order to put everyone but Costco and Walmart out of the food industry.

Also does this mean target is fucked? I would think yes but would love to hear why they have a chance. I personally really like target the stores never busy so it's easy to shop quickly.

Also in 8 years if we have a liberal tidal wave could there ever be a good argument to start breaking up Amazon with some anti trust legislation? I think no but what are your thoughts
Not all brick and mortar retailers are going to die.

It is obviously going to be survival of the fittest.

I'm still flummoxed by the way no one else seems to really have their shit together in online sales though. I mean, WTF, how many years do you need to get your shit together?

Target has a loyal customer base....up to a point.

I own a little bit of KSS currently.
Also some SIG (Signet Jewelers)
Not a lot but I have small positions.

What I have been buying is FL and I bought more this AM on the open.
I've bought it 4 times now in the past few weeks since their earnings report missed EPS by 2 cents.
I do think FL is going to be fine, is well run and will do great in the 2nd half of the year.
Just MO though.
If it goes down more, I will buy more.

Last edited by drjarhead; 06-21-2017 at 05:25 PM.
drjarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #892
bbguns44

I am predicting near term problems with Tesla's new Model 3 production. They are skipping the traditional ramp up with soft tooling & skipping to production tooling immediately. I suspect they will discover problems & production tooling is expensive & slow to change. There's a reason for all traditional auto makers to do a ramp up with soft tooling first to check out the process first & it's not because everybody who have been making cars for decades are all idiots or lazy.

Tesla has a huge burn rate with the car production, solar city, & battery production.
It's all supported by Musk's charm. Once the spell wears off, it'll collapse to nothing.
Tesla has NO fundamental technical or business advantage. The only thing they do better is the wild ass proclamations.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #893
yuik

Quote:
Not all brick and mortar retailers are going to die.

It is obviously going to be survival of the fittest.

I'm still flummoxed by the way no one else seems to really have their shit together in online sales though. I mean, WTF, how many years do you need to get your shit together?

Target has a loyal customer base....up to a point.

I own a little bit of KSS currently.
Also some SIG (Signet Jewelers)
Not a lot but I have small positions.

What I have been buying is FL and I bought more this AM on the open.
I've bought it 4 times now in the past few weeks since their earnings report missed EPS by 2 cents.
I do think FL is going to be fine, is well run and will do great in the 2nd half of the year.
Just MO though.
If it goes down more, I will buy more.
I do think a shoe store can stay around with Amazon. Certain people love the hot new shoes and that's something to go in person and try on.

For foot locker, how do you determine when your hunch was wrong?

Some stocks that i remember selling at a loss were Twitter, Yelp, and maybe Ford way back.

I don't have a great benchmark because I just buy and hold. But typically I think could I use this money to buy someone else who has a better chance to grow right now.

How do you determine when your hunch or investment was wrong? I feel like my approach is not as concrete as it should be.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #894
yuik

Quote:
I am predicting near term problems with Tesla's new Model 3 production. They are skipping the traditional ramp up with soft tooling & skipping to production tooling immediately. I suspect they will discover problems & production tooling is expensive & slow to change. There's a reason for all traditional auto makers to do a ramp up with soft tooling first to check out the process first & it's not because everybody who have been making cars for decades are all idiots or lazy.

Tesla has a huge burn rate with the car production, solar city, & battery production.
It's all supported by Musk's charm. Once the spell wears off, it'll collapse to nothing.
Tesla has NO fundamental technical or business advantage. The only thing they do better is the wild ass proclamations.
Great insight I think you have some valid points.

Do you know anyone who works in auto? How did you know about the soft tooling concept.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #895
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

Quote:
I do think a shoe store can stay around with Amazon. Certain people love the hot new shoes and that's something to go in person and try on.

For foot locker, how do you determine when your hunch was wrong?

Some stocks that i remember selling at a loss were Twitter, Yelp, and maybe Ford way back.

I don't have a great benchmark because I just buy and hold. But typically I think could I use this money to buy someone else who has a better chance to grow right now.

How do you determine when your hunch or investment was wrong? I feel like my approach is not as concrete as it should be.
I'm usually wrong when I do that.
By the time I buy a stock, I've had plenty of time to check it out and watch the chart.
But I sometimes lose patience and sell at a loss just to GTFO of my position.

Almost always, the stock promptly climbs 10-20%.

C'est la vie.

I will still ditch a position if I don't see it working out for me but I try to be patient and watch the chart/technicals for an indication.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #896
bbguns44

"Do you know anyone who works in auto? How did you know about the soft tooling concept. "

I sold a Mosin PU sniper to a guy who works at Tesla. Unfortunately I don't have any close day to day insights. The soft tooling comes from the internet.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:07 AM   #897
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 181106

Cashed in some bitcoin (Coinbase) and put into another rental property. Added some T and VZ to the portfolio and still accumulating silver eagles via "dollar-cost-averaging". Not much firearms and ammo lately tho.

Feds are likely to make US investing in bitcoin more difficult via new "money laundering laws". her than Coinbase that leaves Kraken and Gemini as the only US sites for bitcoin (at least for now).

http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-06-1...forcement.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...74611351125202
Old 06-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #898
yuik

Quote:
"Do you know anyone who works in auto? How did you know about the soft tooling concept. "

I sold a Mosin PU sniper to a guy who works at Tesla. Unfortunately I don't have any close day to day insights. The soft tooling comes from the internet.
Still great knowledge new to me thanks for sharing.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #899
yuik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
Cashed in some bitcoin (Coinbase) and put into another rental property. Added some T and VZ to the portfolio and still accumulating silver eagles via "dollar-cost-averaging". Not much firearms and ammo lately tho.

Feds are likely to make US investing in bitcoin more difficult via new "money laundering laws". her than Coinbase that leaves Kraken and Gemini as the only US sites for bitcoin (at least for now).

http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-06-1...forcement.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...74611351125202

I really like your diversification plan.

I think after I get married 2-4 years (haven't proposed yet). I want to buy my first rental. For now i keep putting a portion of my money into reits which is the reminder / placeholder down payment to buy an actual rental.

My market is awful in NJ to cash flow due to high property taxes in everywhere that isn't a Class neighborhood. So I think I would do the philly suburbs or Chicago suburbs because my girlfriends parents live in Chicago and the numbers really make sense to cashflow and get over a 5% cap rate. Nj is awful the only place you will be lucky for a 5% cap rate is in Newark Nj and other dangerous areas, too many "investors" buy to only break even banking on appreciation being their "investment" I really don't like that strategy.

There's much better markets than philly or greater Chicago but I wanted somewhere that I visit often and am familiar with. Even though numbers look decent in say Kansas City and parts of midland Texas I would be hesitant to get involved with an area that I didn't have much experience in.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #900
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
Added some T and VZ to the portfolio
I'm also looking at both, esp T. Watching patiently. I don't think they've bottomed but probably getting close.

I have about 5 targets right now that if they come down a little more I'll be picking up on.

I sold small amounts of some biotech/pharma late last week.

There's some old tech that's looking relatively attractive and a couple of financials.

Lots of sector rotation going on. Seems to be the theme for the year.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #901
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard

yuik look into Columbus, OH. Wildly undervalued real estate for a city of its size & growing the way it is. I've got a contact there I can put you in touch with if you decide to leap. Of course you get 2nds
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #902
yuik

Quote:
yuik look into Columbus, OH. Wildly undervalued real estate for a city of its size & growing the way it is. I've got a contact there I can put you in touch with if you decide to leap. Of course you get 2nds
I will definitely post in here before I make the jump.

I still love the little effort of reits compared to actually dealing with tenants. But I have listened to about 100 bigger pocket podcasts and have 10-20 pages of notes on tips to transition to real physical buy and hold real estate. Just need to make the Jump when the time is right.