Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
TheKingCornchip

AKaholic #: 196519
Default Romanian AK finish

Hey everyone. So I was trying to track down what the proper finish is for my MD 65 after getting the rest of my components together to build the rifle. This send me down the rabbit hole...

Some believe the finish to be black oxide. After searching the forums for a bit I found someone mention perhaps the Romanians did parkerizing then bluing/black oxiding on top.

So which is it? I'm genuinely curious as to the process the Romanians used. Most other countries there seems to be a consensus on the finish and years that rifles were switched over. This is my first Romanian kit so any input from veteran builders or finishers would be very interesting.
TheKingCornchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor

AKaholic #: 73701

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingCornchip View Post
Hey everyone. So I was trying to track down what the proper finish is for my MD 65 after getting the rest of my components together to build the rifle. This send me down the rabbit hole...

Some believe the finish to be black oxide. After searching the forums for a bit I found someone mention perhaps the Romanians did parkerizing then bluing/black oxiding on top.

So which is it? I'm genuinely curious as to the process the Romanians used. Most other countries there seems to be a consensus on the finish and years that rifles were switched over. This is my first Romanian kit so any input from veteran builders or finishers would be very interesting.
My "guess" is what I bolded. It is a unique finish and I have no other explanation for it. There is definitely parkerizing on these rifles and it is very thin. Then there is the deep black available only from bluing.

Ing. Robert Forbus, International
Tools & Solutions For The Safe Disassembly & Assembly Of Your Kalashnikova Variant
Email - Robert.Forbus@robertforbus.com
Please do not use the PM system here to contact me!
Website - https://www.robertforbus.com

Tennessee Firearms Association member
Gun Owners of America member
N̶R̶A̶ ̶M̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ (that's right - those mofos sold us out)
Patriot Guard Rider

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge...Stupidity is a commitment to ignorance. The first is easily remedied with facts...The second cannot be fixed...
Rforbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
gvguns
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164344

Romanian rifles are black oxide finished after being media blasted, you can achieve the same results by media blasting your parts and have them hot blued. I've done this and found it matches up great.
gvguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvguns View Post
Romanian rifles are black oxide finished after being media blasted, you can achieve the same results by media blasting your parts and have them hot blued. I've done this and found it matches up great.
Perhaps some, a few, most, of course.

But I have an original PSL barrel on the desk tonight that will cause one to think otherwise. Merely touching the barrel with the supports of a steady rest wiped it clean and natural and smooth steel color appears- the "texture" is gone. And, the bearing pads of that particular steady rest are alloy 360 brass - soft stuff.

Tools & Solutions For The Safe Disassembly & Assembly Of Your Kalashnikova Variant

Patriot Guard Rider

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge...Stupidity is a commitment to ignorance. The first is easily remedied with facts...The second cannot be fixed...

Last edited by Rforbus; 07-11-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #5
TheKingCornchip

AKaholic #: 196519

Would you know how to achieve this finish? Is it as simple as parkerizing then going to get it hot blued afterwards?
TheKingCornchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingCornchip View Post
Would you know how to achieve this finish? Is it as simple as parkerizing then going to get it hot blued afterwards?
In the absence of being able to "prove" anything, we can agree that there is a texture present, and a rich color. If indeed Cugir uses a parkerizing formula it is one that leaves a very thin coating that easily rubs off. Fast and cheap comes to mind.

That being the case I would follow what OHVET describes regarding a media blast followed by hot blue. The end goal is correct appearance and doing these things will achieve the appearance with minimum effort and cost. The only item to control then is the type/size of media to achieve the correct appearance.

Patriot Guard Rider