Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
redcoyote

AKaholic #: 195862
Default Venezuelan pk-a opinions

Is this sight the only ak red dot that is centered and not offset? Trying to decide if I want to go this route or take my MRO off my larue mount and get an rs regulate. Obviously the mro is lighter, smaller, probably better but the pka is different and cool.
redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

There are several that centered PK01-VS, the Rakurs and the Obzor to name a few.
The Venezuela is a very good RD but here is my experience with it.
I have one that is excellent, well built and works like a charm. So I decided to get another. That one wasn’t so good. To be more exact, it was just as good as the other except when you looked through the optic with the illumination off right in the middle, where you would expect to see the red dot you could clearly see the reflection of the illuminator diode. It was a perfect rectangle and mirror image of the diode. When you turned the illumination on in bright light it wasn’t too much of an issue but still visible and distracting. In lower light on lower illumination settings it would obscure the target and became so distracting to the point that it would most likely throw off your point of impact. It was very prominent but made the sight rather useless. The other one I have is completely void of this issue.
The defective one was returned. I am contemplating another but I do not want to get another with that same issue.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #3
redcoyote

AKaholic #: 195862

Did you buy it from Kalinka? Would be nice to have a warranty just in case. The PK01-VS looks like a nice option as well.
redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #4
ddnc
Curio & Relic

I got mine from Atlantic as they I think, get them from Kalinka. They looked at it and agreed with what I told them but this is why I hesitate.
When they looked at them they also examined all the ones they had in stock, as I was just interested in a replacement and he said they were all like that. So they just gave me a refund and sent their remaining stock back.
Here is the thing about the Venezuela model. They are a military overrun product, so it’s claimed. Were they rejected by the Venezuelan military because of this issue, ie too many had this defect?? Like I said, I have one that is completely without issue and I’m sure there are many others that have not had this issue and would like another but I would have to look through it before acceptance. If it did not exhibit this I’d take one in a heartbeat.
I do have the PK-01VS and it very nice as well, no issues with them.
It is an interesting deal all the way around.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
CKxx

AKaholic #: 17672

I recently purchased one on a whim at a gunshow. I'm going to finally shoot it this weekend. I haven't noticed this reflection issue yet, but I guess I wasn't looking for it either. I'll report back.
CKxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
There are several that centered PK01-VS, the Rakurs and the Obzor to name a few.
The Venezuela is a very good RD but here is my experience with it.
I have one that is excellent, well built and works like a charm. So I decided to get another. That one wasnít so good. To be more exact, it was just as good as the other except when you looked through the optic with the illumination off right in the middle, where you would expect to see the red dot you could clearly see the reflection of the illuminator diode. It was a perfect rectangle and mirror image of the diode. When you turned the illumination on in bright light it wasnít too much of an issue but still visible and distracting. In lower light on lower illumination settings it would obscure the target and became so distracting to the point that it would most likely throw off your point of impact. It was very prominent but made the sight rather useless. The other one I have is completely void of this issue.
The defective one was returned. I am contemplating another but I do not want to get another with that same issue.
I've heard of this with PK06 and have seen it first hand on my own PK06 too, but not with PK01 Venezuela. Thanks for posting about it

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #7
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Zen View Post
I've heard of this with PK06 and have seen it first hand on my own PK06 too, but not with PK01 Venezuela. Thanks for posting about it
Electronically, it’s probably the same components. As reflex sights they do reflect the image emitted from the diode but if the angle of the lens is off you get that ghost image.
I really want another Venezuela but don’t want the hassle of getting one, finding out it has the same defect and the hassle of returning it and the possibility of the seller saying there is nothing wrong with it.

Update.
Kalinka confirmed that all these exhibit this and they don’t see it as a defect. They also said it only occurs when the illumination is too bright for the ambient surroundings.
Sorry but I call BS as the one I have DOES NOT have this and it matters not about the illumination setting. Furthermore, it is MOST notable when the illumination is OFF!
I’m glad the one I have is void of this defect and for those also that don’t have it but I now believe these were rejects by the Venezuelan military and kept the ones with this.
Kalinka also did not address if I could return one if it had this so I won’t be getting one unless I can handle it first. Buyer beware.

Last edited by ddnc; 06-01-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
MontanaGrant
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 139659

I just purchased one from kalinka a short time ago and it doesn't have this defect. At least not enough where I notice it.

I'm happy with my PLA Venezuela. Haven't had a chance to run it hard but my impressions are good
MontanaGrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
CKxx

AKaholic #: 17672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
Electronically, itís probably the same components. As reflex sights they do reflect the image emitted from the diode but if the angle of the lens is off you get that ghost image.
I really want another Venezuela but donít want the hassle of getting one, finding out it has the same defect and the hassle of returning it and the possibility of the seller saying there is nothing wrong with it.

Update.
Kalinka confirmed that all these exhibit this and they donít see it as a defect. They also said it only occurs when the illumination is too bright for the ambient surroundings.
Sorry but I call BS as the one I have DOES NOT have this and it matters not about the illumination setting. Furthermore, it is MOST notable when the illumination is OFF!
Iím glad the one I have is void of this defect and for those also that donít have it but I now believe these were rejects by the Venezuelan military and kept the ones with this.
Kalinka also did not address if I could return one if it had this so I wonít be getting one unless I can handle it first. Buyer beware.
I you talking about the pka Venezuela model? If so, I disagree. I have two Aimpoints, a Burris fastfire, and a couple other cheap dots and I don't see what anyone is taking about regarding the pka Venezuela.
CKxx is online now   Reply With Quote