Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 04-28-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Crazig

AKaholic #: 194977
Default correct military scope for AK.

I recently sold a military 4x24 SVD scope & mounting rail, because it wouldn't fit my AK that has the typical WASR 10 scope rail on the rifle.
I have read that I need a scope with a SIMONOV 400 meter range finding reticle - to be best matched with 7.62X39 ammo.
I am looking at buying a BELOMO POSP 4x24B (Simonov 400m reticle) to fit my WASR 10 rail.

Any thoughts or recommendations ?
Crazig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
Hyrb

AKaholic #: 176058

There really is no one "correct" scope. Considering how many folks have used the AK in how many conflicts there have been many different types of optics actually used in combat and many more just... used.

The POSP type glass is a pretty ubiquitous scope class used on many different variants and made in a couple of different factories. The nice thing about BELOMO for starting out is that they are still making them today ans the prices are lower than many other options. The 400 meter reticule is correct.

Be careful as their are some really poor quality Chinese fakes out there!
Hyrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
MyGrassIsBlue05
Grey Man

AKaholic #: 47658

I have a 6x POSP with the 400m reticle that works well on my Saiga 5.45x39.
Locks up tight without issue. I prefer the basic 1x optics though (PK01-VS, Obzor, Rakurs, Kobra), and rarely use my POSP.
"We had badly underestimated the degree to which materialism had corrupted our fellow citizens, as well as the extent to which their feelings could be manipulated by the mass media. As long as the government is able to keep the economy somehow gasping and wheezing along, the people can be conditioned to accept any outrage." - Earl Turner
MyGrassIsBlue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
jeeab

AKaholic #: 176595

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but here's what I know about POSPs.

As far as I know, the SVD rail should be "universal" but still not lock up the best on AKMs. (??) You can always change out the bottom mount of the scope though by buying a new part from Kalinka.

When I first got my POSP (4x24b [will have to double check]) I literally had to use a rubber mallet to get it on my side rail of the Wasr. It scuffed up some paint off the rail, but oh well. After working it several times it should loosen up some. Make sure when putting it on and taking it off, that you move it by pushing or pulling on the rail piece rather than up near the scope and accidentally torque it. These scopes are probably too tough to get hurt by it, but it makes it damn near impossible to take off if you don't grab the right spot.

While the 4x24b has the correct reticle for 7.62x39, I don't believe it has the "dial to range feature", I know that mine got pretty close as 450 Meters if I set the elevation to 4.5, but misses the paper if I set the elevation to "3" at 300m etc. This isn't a deal breaker for me because I didn't know this was even a potential POSP feature until years after using the scope, (though it would be neat to have).
Hopefully, someone with better knowledge can chime in to say which POSP has that dial feature. (or if whoever I read this from was BSing).

Either way. I agree with MyGrassIsBlue, I prefer 1x optics on it and the POSP is currently collecting dust. It's a nice scope, I just have a lot of scoped guns already.
jeeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
Crazig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeab View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but here's what I know about POSPs.

As far as I know, the SVD rail should be "universal" but still not lock up the best on AKMs. (??) You can always change out the bottom mount of the scope though by buying a new part from Kalinka....

As I said, I'm looking to buy a Belomo 4x24B scope, & would have it already if my savings reached critical mass. What would you take for those POSP scopes you're not using ? Also have trade goods...

As to the SVD scopes: they have a 1 piece frame, & MUST have van SVD mounting plate. To work on an AK 47 the plate would need to be almost at the top of the receiver - interfering with internals. The SVDs have a skinny elongated receiver - usually with the mount milled into the cast receiver. I didn't have a plate on my SA2000M FEG, I added a WASR10 rail to accept the taller legged POSP 4x24B - Just need to get one....

Either way. I agree with MyGrassIsBlue, I prefer 1x optics on it and the POSP is currently collecting dust. It's a nice scope, I just have a lot of scoped guns already.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #6
Ak-a-Holic
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175160

Pk-Venezuela, pk-01vs are my favorite 1x optic and your basic 4x4 posp with the AA battery attachment are my go-too’s

^^^ all optics run on AA batteries too
Ak-a-Holic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
jeeab

AKaholic #: 176595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak-a-Holic View Post
Pk-Venezuela, pk-01vs are my favorite 1x optic and your basic 4x4 posp with the AA battery attachment are my go-too’s

^^^ all optics run on AA batteries too
Crazy, I didnt know this was a thing. Since my Posp runs on two lr44's or one 1/3n, could I just get an adapter and swap the led to a 1.5v one? These 1/3n's are hard to find in store so I would love to use AAs
jeeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #8
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

The SVD rail is not universal, it's designed for the SVD rail on the rifle

There is a variation of the SVD clamp that swaps the mounting method and can be used on AK pattern rifles. It's called a universal mount and is used on a number of military and civilian optics

Read here more here

http://russianoptics.net/Concepts.html

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Crazig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Zen View Post
The SVD rail is not universal, it's designed for the SVD rail on the rifle

There is a variation of the SVD clamp that swaps the mounting method and can be used on AK pattern rifles. It's called a universal mount and is used on a number of military and civilian optics

Read here more here

http://russianoptics.net/Concepts.html
ALL the SVD scopes (I piece mounting system) I've seen don't have long enough legs for the scope to clear the AK dust cover.
I have seen some that have 4 screws on the clasp portion - but I would only buy a scope that is already correct & ready to mount. Changing part fitments on foreign products can be a can of worms. Just look for the POSP scopes with longer legs & your needed clasp - already together. Probably same price as SVD type, & more likely to fit.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:45 AM   #10
Ak-a-Holic
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175160

https://kalinkaoptics.com/posp-1-5v-aa-battery-cap.html
These are what you’re looking for. I’m trying to find a link with one in stock. They frequent eBay often for 15-30 bucks. You can also the cold weather attachment for extreme cold weather application. TX-Zen has chimes in! He is the man for optics questions. Look at his website for awesome info!
Ak-a-Holic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #11
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazig View Post
I recently sold a military 4x24 SVD scope & mounting rail, because it wouldn't fit my AK that has the typical WASR 10 scope rail on the rifle.
I have read that I need a scope with a SIMONOV 400 meter range finding reticle - to be best matched with 7.62X39 ammo.
I am looking at buying a BELOMO POSP 4x24B (Simonov 400m reticle) to fit my WASR 10 rail.

Any thoughts or recommendations ?
I wouldn’t buy anything more than cheap red dot on Wasr, if you need magnification - prizm or 1-6x from Primary Arms is great option. Watch Robski on youtube.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
euphrates
Red List All Star

AKaholic #: 177426

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeab View Post
I literally had to use a rubber mallet to get it on my side rail of the Wasr.
Dude you can adjust the tension on the clamping bracket if it doesnt fit
euphrates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
hakentt

AKaholic #: 13228

Quote:
this is the correct setup

So many people are so ignorant about these scopes, I've seen so many of these scopes damaged because people lack common technical sense, badly adjusted scopes and broken clamps
hakentt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #14
Crazig

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
this is the correct setup

So many people are so ignorant about these scopes, I've seen so many of these scopes damaged because people lack common technical sense, badly adjusted scopes and broken clamps
Agreed completely. Just today ordered a BELOMO POSP 4x24B scope. Must be my lucky day because the Georgia "SAIGA-12" outfit on Ebay, had just put it on sale today for $256. It is the brother of the one in your photo.
They have 4 more at that price.
I also have a small 2x24 scope in the same style side mount, I will try out.
Thanks for bringing that to every ones attention. My first try turned out to be an SVD scope that didn't fit - got my money out of it.. Think I'm good now.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:19 AM   #15
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183128

Quote:
Agreed completely. Just today ordered a BELOMO POSP 4x24B scope. Must be my lucky day because the Georgia "SAIGA-12" outfit on Ebay, had just put it on sale today for $256. It is the brother of the one in your photo.
They have 4 more at that price.
I also have a small 2x24 scope in the same style side mount, I will try out.
Thanks for bringing that to every ones attention. My first try turned out to be an SVD scope that didn't fit - got my money out of it.. Think I'm good now.
And what is that?
Something different then what was addressed in another thread?
SVD POSP scope will not fit AK, swapping mount will make it fit, common sense for the most part.
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #16
Crazig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon&AlcoholDistributor View Post
And what is that?
Something different then what was addressed in another thread?
SVD POSP scope will not fit AK, swapping mount will make it fit, common sense for the most part.
That's what I said...

I had a mount my old SVD scope would fit, but fastening high enough would have interfered with rails etc. I got a great deal on that SVD scope, but even if I could have welded the rail on it still would have been an uncomfortably close fit & just wrong. fortunately got my money out of it.
I thought that is what the discussion was about. MY SVD scope had no way to change clasps - IT WAS ONE PEICE & was way to short - only made to fit SVD.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #17
Henry Stevens

AKaholic #: 195633

I have an AR but did research AK scopes around the world in major armies. To make a long story short most armies just use a mild prism. I believe the Russians now issue a 2.8 power prism similar to an ACOG but without the fiber optic. They use tritium but it only comes on in dim light or at night. For daytime use it is the black etched reticle.

I did watch Bobski's video (AK Operations Union 47-74) where he and a couple other Russian guys reviewed the Primary Optics 3X and 5X ACSS reticle prism for AKs. They liked it very much. Their review is on the Primary Optics site.
Henry Stevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #18
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor
Curio & Relic

Quote:
That's what I said...

I had a mount my old SVD scope would fit, but fastening high enough would have interfered with rails etc. I got a great deal on that SVD scope, but even if I could have welded the rail on it still would have been an uncomfortably close fit & just wrong. fortunately got my money out of it.
I thought that is what the discussion was about. MY SVD scope had no way to change clasps - IT WAS ONE PEICE & was way to short - only made to fit SVD.
On POSP scopes that have SVD mount, all you need to do is get this and that scope will work on AK just fine.
https://kalinkaoptics.com/firearm-ac...swappable.html
(POSP with SVD mount version wouldn't even get close to mounting on AK so I don't understand what's all the confusion is about).
I've done it a few times and it works like it's suppose to, again very simple stuff.
This was an SVD rail mount scope, replaced lower with Kalinka one and it works on AK and Veprs without any issues.

There is no one piece POSP SVD scope that you can't change the lower. Unless it's Chinese counterfeit junk.

Last edited by Bacon&AlcoholDistributor; 05-07-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #19
Crazig

No cornfusion - on the scope you show above - the clasp portion IS changeable with the 4 screws. The SVD scope I had was ALL ONE PEICE, no 4 screws & very short legs. It was different than the scope in your picture.
It was completely un-usable on AK.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #20
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor
Curio & Relic

Quote:
No cornfusion - on the scope you show above - the clasp portion IS changeable with the 4 screws. The SVD scope I had was ALL ONE PEICE, no 4 screws & very short legs. It was different than the scope in your picture.
It was completely un-usable on AK.
What you had was a Chinese cheap copy as it was not made be Zenit (BeLOMO) or NPZ.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #21
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Stevens View Post
I have an AR but did research AK scopes around the world in major armies. To make a long story short most armies just use a mild prism. I believe the Russians now issue a 2.8 power prism similar to an ACOG but without the fiber optic. They use tritium but it only comes on in dim light or at night. For daytime use it is the black etched reticle.

I did watch Bobski's video (AK Operations Union 47-74) where he and a couple other Russian guys reviewed the Primary Optics 3X and 5X ACSS reticle prism for AKs. They liked it very much. Their review is on the Primary Optics site.
Go here
http://russianoptics.net

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #22
Crazig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon&AlcoholDistributor View Post
What you had was a Chinese cheap copy as it was not made be Zenit (BeLOMO) or NPZ.
I don't think everything Chinese is junk. Everybody makes various price range goods. The old scope had great bright optics, lit rangefinder reticle, diopter. It was for NDM Chinese dragunov. Id have kept it if it fit - or could have been made to fit an AK.

But since I'm no authority, & you say its junk - OK. I got my $$ back out of it, & bought the BELOMO 4x24B on sale.

I'll post pix when I get it
Old 05-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #23
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I don't think everything Chinese is junk. Everybody makes various price range goods. The old scope had great bright optics, lit rangefinder reticle, diopter. It was for NDM Chinese dragunov. Id have kept it if it fit - or could have been made to fit an AK.

But since I'm no authority, & you say its junk - OK. I got my $$ back out of it, & bought the BELOMO 4x24B on sale.

I'll post pix when I get it
Chinese military made and make some good stuff. Chinese Type-JJJ (or Type-1985) scope for Type-79 and Type-85 rifles also have lowers that are removable as they were basically copies of Soviet PSO-1.

Commercial products that are made in China under reputable company's supervision are usually good products.
Commercial products or knock-offs that are made by Chinese without any supervision are junk and the scope you had was just that, it was made by a their own company and for Airsoft toys.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #24
Henry Stevens

AKaholic #: 195633

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Zen View Post
It is a bigger selection than I ever imagined.
Henry Stevens is online now   Reply With Quote