Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 09-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #4446
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
So do folks think that $700 Colt is GTG?

Anything to be wary of if it is indeed a cancelled foreign mil contract?

That's a plus isn't it vis a vis collectibility?
Its a Colt LE 6920 - as close as you can get to a USGI M4 ,what more is there to say ?
Yes , i bought on should have bought 2.
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #4447
smithy72
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
Other than the fact Colt makes them, what so special about them over other quality AR that cost less? Other than it being a Colt, why are they even worth the $700 they're asking?
Colt is the "gold standard" of duty grade ARs . If you cant understand that,
i guess you think a DDI AK is "just as good as" a Polytech or an Arsenal,etc.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #4448
praxidike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy72 View Post
I guess you were too busy being a not so smart ass to actually read what I asked. Okay, what components or features does this Colt have that makes it better than other Mil Spec ARs on the market? I know Colt's history pertaining to ARs and that they make them for military and L.E., other than that, what makes them worth the premium? I'm not talking shit about Colt ARs, I'm simply asking a question.... I'm not an expert on ARs.

Oh and American AKs aren't comparable quality, material, and reliability wise to the imported AKs. AR15s made by various companies are more comparable, so your analogy made no sense to begin with.

Last edited by praxidike; 09-23-2018 at 11:55 AM.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #4449
TheCapn

AKaholic #: 192473

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy72 View Post
Maybe you could explain to the gentleman why you believe that Colt ARs are the "gold standard" instead of critizing him for asking a question. Because I believe the exact opposite. In the last decade the AR market has grown exponentially with new, quality manufacturers popping up everywhere.

For the longest time, Colt was the only real game in town because they held the government contract. That is no longer the case now that FN holds the contract. I don't doubt it is a proven, quality rifle, but at the end of the day you can get MORE rifle for the same amount of money without paying a premium for the brand name recognition.
TheCapn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #4450
Jabes0623
UNDOCUMENTED

AKaholic #: 173872

I’m genuinely curious where you can get a better, factory complete, rifle than a Colt LE6920 for less than $700?

And no I don’t mean, the no furniture model, I don’t mean the $789 model. I mean exactly what I said. Please show me a factory complete rifle that’s of better quality than the Colt 6920 for less than $700 shipped.

I’m not looking to get involved in the argument here, I truly want to know if there’s a better, cheaper, option out there.
The American Dream has become a death sentence of drudgery, consumerism, and fatalism: a garage sale where the best of the human spirit is bartered away for comfort, obedience and trinkets. It's unequivocally absurd.
Jabes0623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #4451
TheCapn

AKaholic #: 192473

By no means am I trying to argue that this particular sale on that FDE 6920 isn't a good deal, far from it. If you aren't worried about the FDE color, than this is an excellent deal, much like the Mexican Defense Force rollmarked 6920s that were selling at the same price w/ magpul furniture over a year or so ago. But these rare sales are the exception to the rule when it comes to 6920s. The standard black 6920 has been lingering in the mid 800 to low 900 price range. At these price points that is where I feel other manufacturers are able to offer more rifle for the money, for example w/ midlength rifle systems. That is the basis of my argument.

Now with all that said, I'm going to return to my status as a forum lurker. This thread is for great deals and I don't want to muddy it up with my opinions. Shout out to 4mula for all the hard work he puts in to this thread.
TheCapn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #4452
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapn View Post
By no means am I trying to argue that this particular sale on that FDE 6920 isn't a good deal, far from it. If you aren't worried about the FDE color, than this is an excellent deal, much like the Mexican Defense Force rollmarked 6920s that were selling at the same price w/ magpul furniture over a year or so ago. But these rare sales are the exception to the rule when it comes to 6920s. The standard black 6920 has been lingering in the mid 800 to low 900 price range. At these price points that is where I feel other manufacturers are able to offer more rifle for the money, for example w/ midlength rifle systems. That is the basis of my argument.

Now with all that said, I'm going to return to my status as a forum lurker. This thread is for great deals and I don't want to muddy it up with my opinions. Shout out to 4mula for all the hard work he puts in to this thread.
Ditto.. 4mula has cost me and saved me a lot of money. I used a couple of posted discount codes, and I purchased a couple of the posted deals...
Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM   #4453
smithy72
Contributor

Quote:
I guess you were too busy being a not so smart ass to actually read what I asked. Okay, what components or features does this Colt have that makes it better than other Mil Spec ARs on the market? I know Colt's history pertaining to ARs and that they make them for military and L.E., other than that, what makes them worth the premium? I'm not talking shit about Colt ARs, I'm simply asking a question.... I'm not an expert on ARs.

Oh and American AKs aren't comparable quality, material, and reliability wise to the imported AKs. AR15s made by various companies are more comparable, so your analogy made no sense to begin with.
Ok, thought you were being sarcastic. Deal with the guns every day so it does seem a very basic question.
Quality and type of all materials ,heat treatment ,MPI testing ,proper chrome lining of BCG and barrel,
manufacturing and Q&A processes ,to name a short list ,these guns are truly "Mil Spec" because they have the TDP from Uncle Sam.
If you want more detail than this i can lay it out, but suffice to say they dont charge more for the "name".
In the current market theses are really mid price range guns that are an absolute bargain.
As far as the AK comparison, its dead on ,if you think a 300-500. AR by whoever are even close to a Colt you have a lot to learn.
Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM   #4454
smithy72
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapn View Post
Maybe you could explain to the gentleman why you believe that Colt ARs are the "gold standard" instead of critizing him for asking a question. Because I believe the exact opposite. In the last decade the AR market has grown exponentially with new, quality manufacturers popping up everywhere.

For the longest time, Colt was the only real game in town because they held the government contract. That is no longer the case now that FN holds the contract. I don't doubt it is a proven, quality rifle, but at the end of the day you can get MORE rifle for the same amount of money without paying a premium for the brand name recognition.
No you really cant ,there is no name brand premium here,just real world performance you can stake your life on.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM   #4455
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

the $700 colt is a very solid deal, although I'd rather take the $625 OEM1's from last year and put my own furniture on it.

best deal on a 6920 was from Whittaker Guns, $587 out the door (with $14 shipping) for an OEM1 with an entire magpul hydro dipped furniture set. No rear flip up sight, but for $587 I wasn't about to bitch. (they sold out in about an hour, and I only LUCKED into seeing it while they were still in stock)

one thing I will say though, when Colt 6920s break the $750 price range (in this market) then they start becoming less and less desirable when you can piece together a BCM with a toolcraft bolt for just a TEENSY bit more and gain the advantages of the middy gas system, better fit and finish, and customer service that doesn't consider customer service just HAVING someone to answer the phone

Last edited by wormraper; Yesterday at 08:21 AM.
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM   #4456
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
the $700 colt is a very solid deal, although I'd rather take the $625 OEM1's from last year and put my own furniture on it.

best deal on a 6920 was from Whittaker Guns, $587 out the door (with $14 shipping) for an OEM1 with an entire magpul hydro dipped furniture set. No rear flip up sight, but for $587 I wasn't about to bitch. (they sold out in about an hour, and I only LUCKED into seeing it while they were still in stock)

one thing I will say though, when Colt 6920s break the $750 price range (in this market) then they start becoming less and less desirable when you can piece together a BCM with a toolcraft bolt for just a TEENSY bit more and gain the advantages of the middy gas system, better fit and finish, and customer service that doesn't consider customer service just HAVING someone to answer the phone
That's what I was getting at. Granted, as far as I know, there aren't many great $700 complete factory builds, but at todays AR component prices, why is the Colt such a great deal?

I hate to have regrets several years from now for passing up a great deal. From what I know now, Im not seeing what all the fuss is about. Everyone just keeps saying that they are the "standard" and that they are so much better without explaining what they offer over something I can build for around $200 or so less...

My way of thinking right now is I could have two complete PSA rifles or pistols in the same or different calibers for the price of one Colt. Or I can build an AR with a larue trigger, Toolcraft bolt, CHF barrel, a $45 Aero lower, and whatever furniture I desire for the same price or less.

Last edited by praxidike; Yesterday at 08:38 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #4457
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Gents, when it comes to mid tier brands and being able to buy one of their complete mil spec AR's, $700 is a price point hard to beat.
Last year Centerfire had Spikes ST15s on sale for $725 shipped. To me that was one hell of a deal and i bought several. Although i must say the ones i bought were all 'Middys'.
Many others also jumped on that sale.
Prax, Colts claim to fame is producing reliable mil spec rifles. Weather one believes thats worth the asking price is up to them.
As for asking questions or having a debate in this thread, IMO its a good thing as we all learn from them.
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM   #4458
brawny
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187460

Basically a concern for resale value determines your purchase. Other factors are brand recognition and bragging rights. Just as these factor into ak purchases, they drive ar purchases as well.
Oh and if resale value is a priority, whatever you do, save the box. Bitches love boxes
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Do you even agency, bro?
brawny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM   #4459
RobertFootball

AKaholic #: 193636

Go back and look at various threads on various sites between the years 2004-2012 before Sandy Hook. You couldn’t sniff a Colt or a Spikes for under $900. Now, granted, that was before the market got saturated with AR’s but the market will eventually work itself out and we will be back to paying over a grand for rifles that are currently $700-$750 right now. Please take my advice and buy now if you can because history proves these rifles will easily sell for $1000 or more again because they were selling at those prices for years before there ever was a “panic”.
RobertFootball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #4460
akma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 159266

$50 Anodized USA 7075-T6 AR lower and free shipping.
https://outdoorsportsusa.com/AR-15-8...BLACK-ANODIZED
2Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

When you live like Hell don't be surprised when the Devil holds your hand. Old Proverb
akma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #4461
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFootball View Post
Go back and look at various threads on various sites between the years 2004-2012 before Sandy Hook. You couldn’t sniff a Colt or a Spikes for under $900. Now, granted, that was before the market got saturated with AR’s but the market will eventually work itself out and we will be back to paying over a grand for rifles that are currently $700-$750 right now. Please take my advice and buy now if you can because history proves these rifles will easily sell for $1000 or more again because they were selling at those prices for years before there ever was a “panic”.
Theres alot of truth to what this man speaks.
Back in 1990 i bought my first AR, a Colt A2 HBAR Pre Ban. It cost just under $1000.
Even just several years back buying a Spikes ST15 for less than $950 was next to impossible.
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM   #4462
4mula
Curio & Relic

Barrett REC7 Gen II Flyweight 5.56 NATO 16" FDE Rifle - $1499 ($9.99 S/H on firearms)
https://www.eurooptic.com/BARRETT-RE...aign=avantlink
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #4463
4mula
Curio & Relic

Stag 15 M-LOK LEO 223/5.56 16" 30 Rd - $609.99 (Free S/H over $99)
https://www.stagarms.com/stag-15-m-l...8247_c1336452d
Old Today, 12:39 AM   #4464
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

AKaholic #: 177161

I spent years as a military armorer working on Colts, and Im not a big fan of them. But to lump a company like colt, who manufactures/forges/QCs everything in house, to an assembly company like spikes (or psa or BCM) who do nothing but assembly other companys parts isnt a fair comparison either.
I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts... Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.
lastlaugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:48 AM   #4465
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlaugh View Post
I spent years as a military armorer working on Colts, and Im not a big fan of them. But to lump a company like colt, who manufactures/forges/QCs everything in house, to an assembly company like spikes (or psa or BCM) who do nothing but assembly other companys parts isnt a fair comparison either.
LL, i lump Spikes in with Colt cause they are both so called 'mid tier companies'.
I own several Colts and Spikes.
IMO the Spikes are better builds.
Old Today, 02:45 AM   #4466
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlaugh View Post
I thought Colt has outsourced for parts, and PSA makes most of their parts in house now...
Old Today, 06:53 AM   #4467
Bakwa
Prophetic Marksman
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
LL, i lump Spikes in with Colt cause they are both so called 'mid tier companies'.
I own several Colts and Spikes.
IMO the Spikes are better builds.
I'm going to have to agree with Lastlaugh on this one. Regardless of how their quality seems to turn out on any given day [for either company], comparing Colt to an 'assembly company' isn't a good metric.

Quote:
I thought Colt has outsourced for parts, and PSA makes most of their parts in house now...
Colt 'has' contracted with other groups in the past to keep up with big contracts. This is not the norm, and without having to keep up with Gov contracts, I doubt they have any need for other peoples parts.
PSA on the other hand made their name off of being an assembly company. As to them making most of their stuff in house now, I have no idea, and I'd want some verification on that.