Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

AKaholic #: 177161
Default Hydroponics

One of the skills I wanted to learn in retirement is Hydro/Auqaponics. I began researching hydroponics a few weeks ago, and have the concept down pretty good. I think I have settled on a design, and wanted to run it by yall to see what you think.

This is the design I'm leaning towards, with a few modifications. (Skip to 9:15 to see the full design)

My problem with that design is it does appear very movable. I need to be able to easily take it down and move it to the garage when the 9 months of growing season is over here.

So, I looked at this one also:

My issue with that setup is its size. It would be very hard to grow full sized tomato and squash with that setup. I'm hoping I can come up with a system more like the first video, but a little more mobile.

So, have any of you filers got any experience in the hydroponics? Its a damn share cody33 isnt here cause I would almost guarantee he did lol!
I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts... Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.
lastlaugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

Just found this one. Almost exactly what I'm looking for:

I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts... Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
IanMor

AKaholic #: 643

"asking for a friend" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
AKfiles is a slightly retarded and magical place. Learn to love it's non-perfect-ness
IanMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
ol okie
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171009

Oh yeah!!!
Old 06-03-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
akinnepa
Tastes Like Bacon

AKaholic #: 41923

One of my produce purveyors does hydroponics. I tried it with PVC and modded used k cups. It works great for lettuce and greens that have a short maturity time. Tomatoes and squash I didn't have much luck with beyond getting them started and about three inches tall.
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

-Calvin Coolidge
akinnepa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

I'm looking to grow basic food items (lettuce, bell peppers, squash, tomatoes, etc), but would also like to try strawberries, blueberries, cucumbers, and other things. Not into the wacky backy tho Ian!
Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
akinnepa
Tastes Like Bacon

AKaholic #: 41923

Start with the intention to transplant into the ground for summer. Run a cycle of lettuce when the space is open in the pods. If you want to try tomatoes till maturity in hydro try one called patio princess.
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

-Calvin Coolidge
akinnepa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:30 PM   #8
PermaAK
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 188710

The wife has a Tower Garden that’s an aeroponic design. Works pretty good and is easy to move. Ours had the options to make it taller and the trellis thing.

http://www.towergarden.com
Old 06-04-2018, 02:00 AM   #9
AlphaTango4
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164926

I've been contemplating doing a setup with fish and micro greens. Some folks in my area are converting over to this system completely and selling off their farm land. Profit per acre is stupid high.

My friends know how to reach me. I'm out.
AlphaTango4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #10
uao85
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158002

Been thinking on the topic myself lately as my wife and I talk about landscaping and edible plant options in our backyard.

stage 1 will be a monterey oak and a peach tree. The acorns will be edible after a wash or two, and the peaches will obviously provide some fruit. The area I am in is actually pretty ideal for peaches. Later on I would like to get some blackberry bushes. Blueberries in this area are hit and miss. But the hydroponics would be perfect for some small pepper plants, tomatoes, strawberries and leafy greens.
uao85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
HKaltwasser

AKaholic #: 55056

I have 20 years in Hydroponics and Bioponics. If you ant to grow tomatoes, use the airator bucket system. I've had a lot of good yields with them. I've built my own systems too.

Basically it's a basket that sits in a 5 gallon bucket. You install a kit that runs about 20.00$ that has some tubing. Line the basket with a fiber mesh, fill with clay pellets and plant your seedling started in rockwool directly in the clay pellets. You hook up a fish air pump and it forces air down into the bucket, forcing the grow solution to drip from the ring that surrounds the seedling. These are cheapest best results I ever got. The system above looks good for herbs.

Get a PH meter and a TDS, both very necessary for a high yield hydroponic garden. It's fun building and tweeking your system.

I was real close to going commercial for a while and still may. Good luck.
HKaltwasser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #12
HKaltwasser

Bucket good for bell peppers too.

I always felt like aquaponics was a waste of time but a neat concept. The point of hydroponics is to make everything readily available to the plant so you get maximum yield in the shortest time as possible.

Here's some small past ones.

Here's the bucket system.

Last edited by HKaltwasser; 06-04-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #13
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKaltwasser View Post
Bucket good for bell peppers too.

I always felt like aquaponics was a waste of time but a neat concept. The point of hydroponics is to make everything readily available to the plant so you get maximum yield in the shortest time as possible.

Here's some small past ones.

Here's the bucket system.

Good looking setups! It's great to have someone as experienced as yourself on here. I'll be PMing you tons of questions!

I order a lot of my stuff from Amazon and am waiting on the big brown truck to deliver it tomorrow
Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #14
HKaltwasser

Fire away. It's pretty addictive/fun once you have a few good harvests and learn how to tweak formulas and methods to achieve optimal yields. Hopefully I can help out and thanks for the kind words.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:22 AM   #15
AlphaTango4
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164926

I really want to grow some peppers up here but the kind I like won't bloom in our mild Summers.

I'm hoping using a combination of hydro and a green house will do the trick.

Habens and jollys just aren't enough anymore. I want scorpions and reapers.

My friends know how to reach me. I'm out.
AlphaTango4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #16
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

I'm struggling here in South Texas heat. I got my setup (NFT and Dutch buckets) working, but the heat during the day is raising my nutrient temps to the high 90s. Even with the 27 gallon tank buried up to the lid,and shaded, it's still around 95 degrees during the day. Do you have any tips to keep the tank cool? I've started adding frozen water bottles to drop the temps, but I can't be there all day.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #17
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaTango4 View Post
I really want to grow some peppers up here but the kind I like won't bloom in our mild Summers.

I've never tried pepper but I'd be happy to grow some for you if you have seeds.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #18
HKaltwasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlaugh View Post
I'm struggling here in South Texas heat. I got my setup (NFT and Dutch buckets) working, but the heat during the day is raising my nutrient temps to the high 90s. Even with the 27 gallon tank buried up to the lid,and shaded, it's still around 95 degrees during the day. Do you have any tips to keep the tank cool? I've started adding frozen water bottles to drop the temps, but I can't be there all day.
Without adding a water chiller to the reservoir lines, you're fighting a losing battle. Unfortunately these systems take a little more cash to get to their optimal ability.

I'm sure you're dealing with evaporation that will constantly change your TDS readings and make it tough to stabilize if you have an open top reservoir. THe more water that evaporates, the higher your TDS reading climbs and can burn your plants if not monitored. Just reread, you have a sealed tank which helps with evaporation but not temps.

https://www.amazon.com/Active-Aqua-C...59033263&psc=1

Last edited by HKaltwasser; 06-15-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #19
HKaltwasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaTango4 View Post

Yep, using a good material that allows good sun transmission and using a CO2 generator that converts propane to Co2 will help with heat and Co2 to help boost growth. I have an extra one here in Texas but it doesn't help you there.

You can also add large rocks in the floor of your hot house that will retain heat, you'll have to research what's readily available in your area.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #20
KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE
Lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade.

AKaholic #: 164622

About 4 years ago, I was following Citizen Peng's aquaponics ventures on YouTube. I'm going to re-visit his channel & check-in on his progress since then...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Homo Qui Spectat Mortem.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xendrius
Youtube/Conspiritus 1-13, by: Xendrius. Full version available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVuR5Gljx2Q
Leonard Ulrich: NWO, Secret Societies, and Biblical Prophecy Vol. 1., by Leonard Ulrich http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZks...5&feature=plcp
KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #21
timmy59

AKaholic #: 178435

I have looked half heartedly into such myself and feel as though it is too labor intensive.. Also the price of start up is not cheap, While the produce of success is no doubt "as good" as you can eat we'll be going with a greenhouse with plants in dirt fertilized by our farm animals.. Have you seen the green houses that are formed with wood base and cattle panels ? My plan is 5 cattle panels for 250 inches.. I built a 8x8 chicken tractor with the panels and so par it is the cats meow.. Far lighter in weight than the 1st one I built.. There's a slew of cattle panel builds on youtube you might look into.. As with HKaltwasser, I'll pick up the blue 55 gallon barrels off CL split'em in 2 and probably plumb together running from top to bottom with 2 high as that's all the house will likely permit..
Old 06-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #22
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

Just wanted to upload some pics of my setup. More to come tomorrow, but this is my NFT system. Its supposed to be one of the harder hydroponic setups to master, but everything I have put into mine has seen explosive growth. My biggest issue has been seeding and cloning. I think I have those worked out also, now that I have a better grow light. I'm using Masterblend and General Hydroponics Fluro series nutrients.

I also have a DWC system going with tomatoes in it, and 2 dutch buckets, also with tomatoes. I'm still trying to learn what works best in what systems. I know DWC works great with tomatoes, Kratky works great with lettuce. So far, I have :
Lettuce - I have 2 heads in a Kratky system, and 3 heads in my NFT system
Bell peppers - all in NFT
tomatoes - 1 in DWC, 2 in Dutch buckets with perlite
cucumbers - 4 in NFT
watermelon - 4 in NFT

My brocolli and strawberry seeds wont seed to grow (weather too hot maybe). I also have several of everything listed above seeding right now in my grow tent. I found an old trampoline on the side of the road and had an idea to build a green house out of it. I'll post pics tomorrow of what I came up with.

If anyone is confused on the various types of hydroponics, I'll be happy to explain to the best of my knowledge.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #23
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

Still fighting the heat here. I lost all of my plants in the NFT system due to heat. 2 days ago it was 103 in the shade, and I had nutrient temps of 107. Killed everything but 2 watermelon plants.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:35 AM   #24
Kit Carson

AKaholic #: 195746

Cool setups!
Kit Carson is online now   Reply With Quote