Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 06-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182153
Default NIB, unfired KelTec RFB for $1k cash?

18" barrel model, .308 bullpup

Would you do it?

When these first came out I remember drooling over them, and wanting one, but they were super expensive first few years, and you almost never saw them.

Can be had new pretty commonly for $1300-1400 now.
DesertGunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #2
nhm90
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166963

It looks neat, I probably wouldnt purchase one for this price point being described though.

If they're a $1300 firearm and you can score one $300 cheaper, sounds like a no brainer if its the firearm you have your eye on. If you want it, get it. When you let deals pass you by there is always an element of regret involved.
nhm90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
hoovdizzle

AKaholic #: 181475

Noooooooooo.

Kel tecs are still too risky. If they were charging $200 for most of their offerings I would think differently.

"Let the retards buy retarded rifles so at least they die faster if we go to war against retards" -Sabre5G
hoovdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:47 PM   #4
raggedwhole!
Banned

AKaholic #: 172787

I have not had positive experiences with a 300 and 400 dollar Keltec. I wouldn't spend a $1,000. My .02 cents.
raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #5
Make mine underfolded

AKaholic #: 6893

Had one when they first came out. Had a lot of misfeeds and other quirky issues. Read about welds breaking on other guns, and traded it for an Arsenal RPK-7.
Make mine underfolded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #6
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

Thanks for the input so far guys.

The Files is awesome, even with my late night post still got some good input.

Should have made it a poll; looks like so far 1 yes, 1 maybe/yes, and 3 no's.

My history with KelTec is I had a PMR-30. Was a fun range toy, and 99% reliable, but the mags were a pain (literally) to load, and 22 mag ammo costs as much as centerfire, and is not as fun to shoot, so I sold it.

I currently have the other KelTec bull pup, the RDB.
Mine has been 99% reliable, with only the occasional malfunction, about 500 rounds through it. Good minute of man accuracy, an excellent trigger and overall a really fun little rifle. Shooting it has renewed my interest in the RFB, which had waned after my initial interest when they started trickling out 5+ years ago.

That being said, from what I've read online, most of the negative feedback on them was from the initial releases of the rifle, mostly 2012-2014.

Keep the replies coming, fellas!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:16 AM   #7
praxidike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191101

Go for it!
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
wade2big

AKaholic #: 188836

Keltecs suck. They have great ideas. Just wait until someone ripps it off and builds it right. I have only handled a few keltecs but they all had major issues. My friends pistol started to have failure to feeds one day. Took the slide off and set it on the table. It woukd rock back and forth like a rockin chair. Bent slide. Keltec did fix the pistol and he sold it right after.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
JudgeandJury

AKaholic #: 180145

I wanted one bad until I handled one one day. It's was much heavier than I thought. That got me off the fence...
JudgeandJury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
akinnepa
Tastes Like Bacon

AKaholic #: 41923

My experience with Kel tecs is that with a break in period and some time to work through the bugs they are mostly reliable.

I've owned five models none of which are the one that you are looking at.

If this was a poll you could put me down for "maybe".
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

-Calvin Coolidge
akinnepa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

You guys are totally killing my KelTec boner...………………

My thinking was, at $1k, I could always get most, if not all of my money back if I tried it and decided it wasn't for me.

I would think even if I put 500 rounds through it, it would sell like hotcakes for $900-950.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #12
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Keep in mind the detractors have only experience with pistols and not the model you are interested in. Your experience with the RDB will mirror what you experience with the RFB or better. IMO.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

That's a damn good price. I don't have experience with their rifles. I had 2 of the PMR's and sold both due to issues even after the first one was sent back under recall. I like that Kel-Tec is very forward thinking with their designs, but I hate that they take a gen 2 to work out the issues with their guns. It seems a lot of manufacturers use the the public for QC. Sig especially comes to mind. If you like to be different than a standard black gun in 308, then I would give it a go. Especially if you're sitting on a stack of FAL mags like I am. Like you said, could always sell if you don't like it or trade for what you do want.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #14
akinnepa
Tastes Like Bacon

AKaholic #: 41923

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
Keep in mind the detractors have only experience with pistols and not the model you are interested in. Your experience with the RDB will mirror what you experience with the RFB or better. IMO.
I agree with this. And my experience has been with a 3AT, two P11s, a SU16, and sub 2000. All of this was over 10 years ago.

It's not that I had bad experience with them, it's more that my experience with them has been forgettable.

All but the sub 2000 have been trade fodder, if I remembered I had it, it would have been traded too.

That's why I'd say "maybe", if it works for you go for it. Personally, I'd lean more towards a FAL or M1A, because those spots are empty in my collection currently. Every time I get something that has a novelty factor it ends up with a few boxes of ammo through it and stuffed in the back of the safe till it goes through my head that I'm not using it, and sell or trade it down the road.

For the record the 3AT and P11 were traded towards a bolt action, the second P11 was on tool box duty in my garage till I moved, the SU16 got traded to a friend for a kryloned wasr and house brand 30-30, and the sub 2000 sits lonely and folded in the back of the safe.
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

-Calvin Coolidge
akinnepa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #15
Idratherbapickle
Banned

AKaholic #: 193120

I would stay away from the RFB unless they have a new gen that fixes the bugs from what Ive seen, but RDB is good to go. The barrel is thin and theres a lot of plastic and still made by keel-tec but hey it works.
Idratherbapickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #16
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Decided to pass.

I've got a ton of 308/762x51 ammo, but I don't have a FAL or any FAL mags (the RFB uses metric FAL mags), so I would have had to drop another $100 for a few mags also.

Too many uncertainties with this particular rifle, decided to skip it.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #17
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

idk, there is alot to be said about a bp 308 with a good trigger and is reliable when it comes to funtioning, in a way the rbd is kinda keltec's answer to the WA2000.
Happiness is a road, lined with the bones of those whom sold out America, for personal gain/profit. -Me
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me

i'm a anti-zionist: http://www.antizionism.org
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #18
Bakwa
Prophetic Marksman
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGunner View Post
Thanks for all the input, guys.

Decided to pass.

I've got a ton of 308/762x51 ammo, but I don't have a FAL or any FAL mags (the RFB uses metric FAL mags), so I would have had to drop another $100 for a few mags also.

Too many uncertainties with this particular rifle, decided to skip it.
Buy a nice IMBEL/IMBEL built FAL for that money and do some pushups. You'll be happier.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #19
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

I think you made a good decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakwa View Post
Buy a nice IMBEL/IMBEL built FAL for that money and do some pushups. You'll be happier.
Agreed on this! I have an STG 58 built on an IMBEL receiver. Sweet rifle!
Old 06-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #20
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

KELTEC QC,

Not really good, as is reflected on all their products.

Seems you have avoided an unnecessary gamble. At least only get it if it's NOT a 1.0 model...

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #21
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

My Grand-ma taught me if I don't have anything nice to say then I shouldn't say anything at all .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #22
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
My Grand-ma taught me if I don't have anything nice to say then I shouldn't say anything at all .
Well,

Thumper's Momma taught me that... And I didn't say anything about KELTEC's legs being wobbly....

panzertrupppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #23
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Watch the you tube video by guns gear and hank strange. If I remember right guns eith r had a few issues or pointed a few out. It was the 24" version. I have had mixed to bad things about reliability. It sucks because so many of their products are innovative and priced right, but Keltec just seems to be hit or miss
Old 06-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #24
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

ROFL there was a post between NHM and hoovdizzle that was happy with his rifle for hunting, etc.

I guess he folded to peer pressure once all the negative votes came out.

Whatever.