Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 06-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #246
Str8liner
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174699

So you guys weight lifting what do you recommend for supplements? I am down about 30-35 lbs the last few months by cutting out carbs and sugars and have been exercising 4 to 5 times a week, but I cant really get anywhere in the strength department. Never been very strong in the first place. Started eating more protein the last few weeks but cant really tell a difference. Sure isn't as easy as it used to be since I am pushing 50.
Str8liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #247
wade2big

AKaholic #: 188836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8liner View Post
So you guys weight lifting what do you recommend for supplements? I am down about 30-35 lbs the last few months by cutting out carbs and sugars and have been exercising 4 to 5 times a week, but I cant really get anywhere in the strength department. Never been very strong in the first place. Started eating more protein the last few weeks but cant really tell a difference. Sure isn't as easy as it used to be since I am pushing 50.
If you are dropping weight (fatloss), you won't be able to make appreciable strength gains. If you want to gain any kind of strength you must eat for it. Get lean first and maintain your new weight for a few months then slowly add some REAL food back in the mix. Do it right and you can gain some strength and some lean mass without putting on the bad stuff. Don't worry about supplements. Save your money and use it to buy quality whole foods.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #248
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174643

Quote:
Nothing, really. Maybe some caffeine pills from walmart for pre-workout. They really help out on the very early AM workouts when I don't have time to sip coffee. If you really want, some bulk creatine monohydrate. Your diet should have everything you need unless you're in a major caloric deficit. Coconut oil is a good "supplement" if you want to consider it that. I don't even do protein powder anymore, but I will do Quest bars if I'm on a road trip or flying somewhere.

I used to do it all, now I pretty much do none of it. I even used to formulate a lot of supps. Mostly a waste of money.
IrishCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #249
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post
Unless you just really want a bike or want to use it for transportation, I highly recommend a Concept2 rower. I've had mine for a little over a year and I would never give it up. Absolutely amazing.
I enjoy the outdoors and I was built for riding the shit out of a bike. I can do rowing on my Chuck Norris machine if I feel like it.

The next Miss America will be David Hogg- Owen Benjamin.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #250
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade2big View Post
If you are dropping weight (fatloss), you won't be able to make appreciable strength gains. If you want to gain any kind of strength you must eat for it. Get lean first and maintain your new weight for a few months then slowly add some REAL food back in the mix. Do it right and you can gain some strength and some lean mass without putting on the bad stuff. Don't worry about supplements. Save your money and use it to buy quality whole foods.
I definitely wouldn't say you can't gain strength on a caloric deficit, but mass is more difficult. Science has really evolved in this department and most people now agree it's more than just calorie in / calorie out like they used to think.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #251
wade2big

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't say you can't gain strength on a caloric deficit, but mass is more difficult. Science has really evolved in this department and most people now agree it's more than just calorie in / calorie out like they used to think.
That's why I said appreciable strength in my last post. You can get somewhat stronger on a calorie deficit maybe. You will do even better on maintenance calorie diet and better yet on a calorie surplus diet. And I agree it has more to do with calorie in vs calorie out. That's why I eat a ketogenic diet and reap the benefit's. Lean and mean. I would post a pic of my results but don't want to look like an ass.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #252
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
Cutting back the alcohol and sticking to occasional wine or cider and milder beers you will drop a lot.

I ran home from my mechanics when I dropped my truck off today, It was about a mile to mile and a half, boots, weatherproof pants, 90 degree heat with 100% humidity, it was a good workout, recovered way faster than I thought, so I am gonna hit it again in a little bit for another mile to mile and a half.

I need to get a bike.
I have added a "cheat" day where I get a "bad" meal and some drinks. It's usually Saturdays, as a family cookout, or stopping by a local dive for a burger, etc tends to happen on Saturday.

As for the bike. It was hers, and being prego, she's neglected it for the past months. I also have a kid cart to pull behind it. I can thow my 45lb son in there (It doubles as time spent with him and I get exercise). Eventually I could probably pile some more weight in there to intensify the workout.

Attaining a bench and some weights locally motivated me as well. Being able to train at home is positive for me. My son loves it in the garage and outside, I get to work out in the garage, get to keep an eye on him, and he gets to spend time to with me. Also, like I mentioned before, he's seeing good habits. He's seeing me push myself.
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #253
barnbred
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164399

Its amazing how quickly you can lose weight when you eat healthy foods and minimal exercise. Ive had alot of luck with Paleo diet, 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weights a day. Throw in a long hike or bike on weekends.
barnbred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #254
wade2big

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
I have added a "cheat" day where I get a "bad" meal and some drinks. It's usually Saturdays, as a family cookout, or stopping by a local dive for a burger, etc tends to happen on Saturday.

As for the bike. It was hers, and being prego, she's neglected it for the past months. I also have a kid cart to pull behind it. I can thow my 45lb son in there (It doubles as time spent with him and I get exercise). Eventually I could probably pile some more weight in there to intensify the workout.

Attaining a bench and some weights locally motivated me as well. Being able to train at home is positive for me. My son loves it in the garage and outside, I get to work out in the garage, get to keep an eye on him, and he gets to spend time to with me. Also, like I mentioned before, he's seeing good habits. He's seeing me push myself.
I do one meal a week as a "cheat meal" but I don't look at it that way. It is only cheating if it isn't part of the plan. In your case you make a day of it but as long as you are getting results or maintaining depending on your goals it is perfectly fine to make it part of you lifestyle. Thinking of it this way takes the negative feelings and the guilt away because in reality the plan was never deviated from. Make sense. Hope so.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #255
Ammosexual
It's sexual

AKaholic #: 188374

Went out to Knob Creek last weekend to get a little range practice in after work. When they called the cease-fire I decided to take my target out to the 300yrd mark.

Being a 30yr old man, I figured it wouldn't be an issue. So I jogged it out there so I didn't hold everyone up for too long. Once I got out there I could barely stay standing I was so winded.

I almost decided to lay down in the taller grass and take my chances with the lead.

That being said, I realized I need to do something.

Im going to get my gym membership going again this weekend and start weeing myself off all the crap I eat.

This thread will be a big help!!
Ammosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #256
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
I do one meal a week as a "cheat meal" but I don't look at it that way. It is only cheating if it isn't part of the plan. In your case you make a day of it but as long as you are getting results or maintaining depending on your goals it is perfectly fine to make it part of you lifestyle. Thinking of it this way takes the negative feelings and the guilt away because in reality the plan was never deviated from. Make sense. Hope so.
Not so much a whole day.

It's just a meal (usually a lunch) and a few beverages.

It makes sense though. It is why I plan it in though, so it only happens once a week.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #257
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

^^^^^^^^

Pistachios and organic whole milk kefir is my daily cheat.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #258
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Nothing, really. Maybe some caffeine pills from walmart for pre-workout. They really help out on the very early AM workouts when I don't have time to sip coffee. If you really want, some bulk creatine monohydrate. Your diet should have everything you need unless you're in a major caloric deficit. Coconut oil is a good "supplement" if you want to consider it that. I don't even do protein powder anymore, but I will do Quest bars if I'm on a road trip or flying somewhere.

I used to do it all, now I pretty much do none of it. I even used to formulate a lot of supps. Mostly a waste of money.
You don't do protein shakes to supplement your protein intake ???

Now you've piqued my curiousity, how are you getting your 1-1.5 grams per lb of body weight to grow ???
That's always been the equation I lived by to grow......just curious. It's pretty difficult to eat that much protein without supplementing for me.

I'm not a pro bodybuilder or anything but I maintained my weight @ 200lbs and I'm trying to even cut down more to 185 and then go back up.
It's hard to take in all that much protein for me without a supplement several times.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #259
wade2big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post

Now you've piqued my curiousity, how are you getting your 1-1.5 grams per lb of body weight to grow ???
That's always been the equation I lived by to grow......just curious. It's pretty difficult to eat that much protein without supplementing for me.

I'm not a pro bodybuilder or anything but I maintained my weight @ 200lbs and I'm trying to even cut down more to 185 and then go back up.
It's hard to take in all that much protein for me without a supplement several times.
I know you didnt ask me but I will give my 2cents. I take no supplements either. Eat whole foods in the right amounts depending on your goals and don't worry about macros. It just makes something that isn't complicated complicated. Most of that stuff just like "eat six times a day" is just marketing to sell supplements. Two to three meals a day are plenty. If you are trying to add mass and dont have a huge appetite then maybe four meals.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #260
Pig

AKaholic #: 190870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 View Post
Does anyone else here use an ab-wheel or do ab rollouts? Whoever came up with that exercise is an asshole.

Ab wheel will seem like its for girls after you do the same movement on rings lowered down to the right level. (I say rings, but you could use any sort of suspension setup)

But I do like the wheel too, have the one that allows you to put your feet into straps to do pike ups, and hamstring work as well...a good piece of equipment.

Another addition, make a Bulgarian bag, (cheap to DIY, but if you must buy, buy right,avoid the cheap bags on line) If you have the weight right, "spins" will leave you feeling like you were in a fight...or they did for me when I started using a heavier bag ~48lbs. My upper core, under pecs felt as if they had been someones punching bag. Another good piece of equipment.
Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #261
Metatron

AKaholic #: 179696

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDave View Post
I would expect that the "voice of God" would know that the hops in beer, a female plant structure, converts testosterone into estrogen.

It was a disappointing truth for someone who enjoys good beer, but consuming a food that was working against my fitness goals no longer had place in my life.

Cider, wine, or a bit of hard alcohol from time to time if you absolutely CANNOT live without it, but the best objective when looking to kick start a period of health is to put it aside for the time being.

A sober mind is a sharp mind, especially when it comes to making healthy eating and exercise choices.

-Dave
I'm totally kidding, sort of. I would like to stress the importance of endurance training. How far can you walk? How far with a pack? How far with a pack and no water? These are the most important questions to know about yourself.
Metatron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #262
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:

Greek Yogurt is good shit, I buy the kroger brands.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #263
Str8liner
Veteran Member

Quote:
That is the first thing I noticed when I started dieting. I was making decent gains lifting and when I cut the junk food, general over eating and sugar out I hit a wall and have actually regressed a bit from heavier stuff like my bench. I stopped trying to lift heavy with fewer reps and the last few weeks I have been going lighter with high reps. I want to cut 10-15 more lbs then I will have to start counting calories and protein intake and see what I need to eat to maintain weight and gain strength I guess. It really is a lot harder to balance and maintain it than it is just to cut back and lose I think.

Quote:

I tried some Creatine when I first started lifting but that was before I started dieting. Didn't seem to make much of a difference but since I am dieting now maybe it will. I have been buying the Pure Protein bars at Walmart and eating one of them in between meals and sometimes after a workout. Will give the coconut oil a try. I read somewhere else on the net about it being good for heart health and weight loss.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #264
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
That is the first thing I noticed when I started dieting. I was making decent gains lifting and when I cut the junk food, general over eating and sugar out I hit a wall and have actually regressed a bit from heavier stuff like my bench. I stopped trying to lift heavy with fewer reps and the last few weeks I have been going lighter with high reps. I want to cut 10-15 more lbs then I will have to start counting calories and protein intake and see what I need to eat to maintain weight and gain strength I guess. It really is a lot harder to balance and maintain it than it is just to cut back and lose I think.

I tried some Creatine when I first started lifting but that was before I started dieting. Didn't seem to make much of a difference but since I am dieting now maybe it will. I have been buying the Pure Protein bars at Walmart and eating one of them in between meals and sometimes after a workout. Will give the coconut oil a try. I read somewhere else on the net about it being good for heart health and weight loss.
Hershel Walker is a beast without doing a ton of heavy lifting, he mostly does excessive bodyweight exercises.

http://sealgrinderpt.com/navy-seal-w...-workout.html/

This is more in line of what I am going to start doing. Not with that sort of intensity but this style routine.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #265
Str8liner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
Hershel Walker is a beast without doing a ton of heavy lifting, he mostly does excessive bodyweight exercises.

http://sealgrinderpt.com/navy-seal-w...-workout.html/

This is more in line of what I am going to start doing. Not with that sort of intensity but this style routine.
2000 push ups and 3000 sit ups?

Aw hell no that aint happening. Might need a body bag before I hit 200 and 300 lol.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #266
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
2000 push ups and 3000 sit ups?

Aw hell no that aint happening. Might need a body bag before I hit 200 and 300 lol.
I know right, that dude is a freak. But it's a good basis to work off of, just not with near as many reps, not even close.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 AM   #267
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

Quote:

Just to kick it off, daily I have 1lb grass fed beef, 12-16 whole eggs, - That's about 160-175g just from that alone. I easily surpass 200-220g daily in protein. I weigh 160lbs. I don't do milk other than the kefir I mentioned, but I will do hard fermented cheeses. Pistachios at night. Coconut oil, avocado, bell peppers, chia seeds, spinach, pork sausage, uncured bacon. - That stuff makes up the bulk of my diet. I pretty much eat the same thing every day.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:24 AM   #268
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

WOW.....I'm a picky bastid, and I can't do the same food daily.

12-16 eggs a day, I can't eat that many eggs in a week. After the military I was so sick
of eggs, I couldn't eat them hardly ever anymore. If and when I do, it's 4 eggs in a bread sammich or loaded omelete.

I eat alot of beef, tuna, chicken, other fish, etc.
I have a kickass simple tuna recipe but it's also got it's drawbacks with the mercury content.

My wife always has one of the Costco or Sam's giant Greek yogurt containers we replace 2x a week.
Sams actually has some good stuff now with 2 tubs with 23grams of Protein each serving.
My little guy tears that up daily too.

I couldn't make it without my shakes. Loves my shakes. Even my kids wanna steal my shakes.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #269
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

When I used to do shakes I would do the Bodylogix vanilla protein with berries and spinach. Good stuff.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #270
TexasDave
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron View Post
I'm totally kidding, sort of. I would like to stress the importance of endurance training. How far can you walk? How far with a pack? How far with a pack and no water? These are the most important questions to know about yourself.
Sorry man, I misunderstood! I totally agree on the endurance aspect.

-Dave
TexasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #271
TexasDave
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156092

Quote:
Just to kick it off, daily I have 1lb grass fed beef, 12-16 whole eggs, - That's about 160-175g just from that alone. I easily surpass 200-220g daily in protein. I weigh 160lbs. I don't do milk other than the kefir I mentioned, but I will do hard fermented cheeses. Pistachios at night. Coconut oil, avocado, bell peppers, chia seeds, spinach, pork sausage, uncured bacon. - That stuff makes up the bulk of my diet. I pretty much eat the same thing every day.
Repetition is huge. Sounds like you've got yourself squared away diet wise. I am going to try and match your minimum of 12 a day. Right now I consume typically 6-8 eggs daily from the layers out back (I am getting around 25 a day from them and I sell whatever I don't eat).

I have been consuming raw milk from a jersey farm on the other side of town, but I haven't made it into keifer. My parents do so regularly, so perhaps taking it one step farther and consuming fermented raw milk might be a good idea for gut health. How much are you consuming daily?

How are you consuming the bell peppers and spinach? In an omelet or raw?

Thanks,

-Dave
TexasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:08 AM   #272
Hizzie
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 170989

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownmj View Post
does anyone have reccomendations on exercises for general shooting purposes? Id like to be able to steady a rifle and stand while shooting for a considerable amount of time.
Deadlifts, Squats, Front Squats, Klokov Presses, Cleans, Dips, Chins.

Your legs are the very foundation of your shooting stance. A strong core, low back and upper back will support a slung rifle and kit. A strong shoulder girdle and arms will help you stay steady. A strong grip helps with weapon control and recoil management.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:10 AM   #273
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDave View Post
Repetition is huge. Sounds like you've got yourself squared away diet wise. I am going to try and match your minimum of 12 a day. Right now I consume typically 6-8 eggs daily from the layers out back (I am getting around 25 a day from them and I sell whatever I don't eat).

I have been consuming raw milk from a jersey farm on the other side of town, but I haven't made it into keifer. My parents do so regularly, so perhaps taking it one step farther and consuming fermented raw milk might be a good idea for gut health. How much are you consuming daily?

How are you consuming the bell peppers and spinach? In an omelet or raw?

Thanks,

-Dave
I would love to do raw milk but I don't have any sources for it close by. Closest "legal" way to get it is in SC, and thats about 1hr from me at a farmers market.

I do about 8-12oz kefir per day. Bell peppers are eaten raw, I throw them in my beef/egg mix. The spinach is bought raw and I throw it in my beef when cooking so it gets lightly cooked. I do it at the end, so just enough to wilt it so I can use about a bags worth at a time.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #274
SAIGA 5.45

Went out for a nice run today, 1.14 miles in 9:23 with my circuit being 50% uphill with heavy to slight grade, 30% downhill and 20% flat. I think I could crack into the 6's on a flat surface.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #275
Returned
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 189425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeast44 View Post
Im at 478lb deadlift, 425 squat, and 440 bench. Once I break the 1500lb club It'll be time to start cutting weight and working on my endurance. Did I mention I HATE cardio, and running?
Walking, fast walking, with a heavy incline will do much for cardio w/o the joint pounding. Like 9%+ grade. Know some flatlander runner types who can run like the wind but fall flat the instant you put a grade in front of them.

HILLS ARE KILLERS. If you master the up and down and the ability to sustain such activity over long periods it is generally more useful than being winded to run long periods on flats.

When it comes to survival endurance is better than speed. Sprinting will be the most common type of run you will experience while that will be backed up by days and weeks of long up and down hill movement with pack. Unless you live in Texas then it's all flats.

Dies irę, dies illa, dies tribulationis et angustię, dies calamitatis et miserię, dies tenebrarum et caliginis, dies nebulę et turbinis, dies tubę et clangoris super civitates munitas et super angulos excelsos
Returned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #276
wade2big

[QUOTE=Returned;4080511]Walking, fast walking, with a heavy incline will do much for cardio w/o the joint pounding. Like 9%+ grade. Know some flatlander runner types who can run like the wind but fall flat the instant you put a grade in front of them.
QUOTE]
I run a 5:50 mile and can get my heart rate up on the treadmill walking a 4.5mph on a 5% grade. I can sustain this pace. Unless you are in really really good shape, a 9% grade would be unsustainable unless the walking pace is boringly slow. It would be like slow walking uphill sprints.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #277
Returned
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=wade2big;4080870]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returned View Post
Walking, fast walking, with a heavy incline will do much for cardio w/o the joint pounding. Like 9%+ grade. Know some flatlander runner types who can run like the wind but fall flat the instant you put a grade in front of them.
QUOTE]
I run a 5:50 mile and can get my heart rate up on the treadmill walking a 4.5mph on a 5% grade. I can sustain this pace. Unless you are in really really good shape, a 9% grade would be unsustainable unless the walking pace is boringly slow. It would be like slow walking uphill sprints.
I am physically limited, but walk for my physical therapy. I've been doing it for 2 years now, worn out three pairs of shoes, I've crossed this nation in distance 4 times now. I can sustain a 3.3 mph 9-10% grade for 6-7 miles.

I can't run very well but that has to do with some motor skill issues.

Dies irę, dies illa, dies tribulationis et angustię, dies calamitatis et miserię, dies tenebrarum et caliginis, dies nebulę et turbinis, dies tubę et clangoris super civitates munitas et super angulos excelsos
Old 06-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #278
wade2big

[QUOTE=Returned;4081964]
Quote:

I am physically limited, but walk for my physical therapy. I've been doing it for 2 years now, worn out three pairs of shoes, I've crossed this nation in distance 4 times now. I can sustain a 3.3 mph 9-10% grade for 6-7 miles.

I can't run very well but that has to do with some motor skill issues.
That seems pretty intense. You are mentally tough too. Thats two hours on a treadmill on an incline.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #279
Returned
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=wade2big;4082112]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returned View Post
That seems pretty intense. You are mentally tough too. Thats two hours on a treadmill on an incline.
Yeah, it all started, ironically, because I was losing the ability to walk. It just went from there. I live every day in constant pain. You go nuts or you get tough. I got tough. Though on the survival end of things the muscle degeneration still is a powerful force and I can barely lift my 30 pound daughter. But walk. That I can do. Still working with my new doc to develop a system for core and upper body.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #280
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Looking to push 6-7 miles on the bike tonight.

4-5 is becoming easy.