Savage stealth 8 16.67%
Ruger precision 14 29.17%
Tikka T3 26 54.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
UrbanSi

AKaholic #: 168589
Default RPR vs Savage stealth vs Tikka T3

So pretty basic, I have handled all but the Tikka. Caliber in question is .308 Win.

So far I can break down that option wise out of the gate the Savage is the cheapest ($900) and has the most options for price. I don't like the safety as much as my now sold Remington 700 but that's about it. It also uses costlier mags. The action is smooth and the trigger is great. I also will need to purchase a muzzle break.

The RPR can be had for about $1200 and uses P-mags which I have an abundance of. I really like the option to swap a lot of AR accessories and the folding stock from the factory seems robust and we'll designed. The trigger is close to the Savage and I feel it's going to have much more aftermarket options especially with the popularity.

The T3. All accounts lead to this rifle having the best action and having the smother bolt.
Most of my reading leads me to think most people love these rifles and I have yet to read anything negative. Obviously in the long route it will cost the most as I will need to pay for a chassis and the mags are costly as well.

As for price, I'd like to be all in at <$1500 but I can stretch it without a problem. I already have a NF to mount so that isn't a problem.

Use will be a lot of plinking from 100-600 yards, occasionally 800-1000 on rare accounts.

What you all think?
UrbanSi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
draftpick
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 162636

I have a stealth and have over 500 rounds and have no need for another mag. I reload and single feed. I don't even use the mag. It's a range gun. I have used all 3 rifles. My .02 cents as it's really only a 2 rifle option. If your "Use will be a lot of plinking from 100-600 yards, occasionally 800-1000 on rare accounts." Then the savage is the sensible choice. Will give you plenty of accuracy. If your one that always get the best and coolest stuff, or you might do matches then the Ruger is the choice. I don't need a folder and Savage barrels are cheaper than the RPR barrels when I want to upgrade. The Tikka would not be a choice as your options are limited and no pistol grip, and if you wanted or needed mags they are expensive.
draftpick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #3
UrbanSi

Forgot to mention that I do load all my own ammo.
I have an abundance of 150 FMJ's, 155 A-max and 168 smk's.

So yeah accuracy is very much a priority for this specific rifle, especially when pushing 600 yards or more.

No competition in the works just a plink like most of my garage
Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170268

A cz 550 Fs?
Those are nice.
ninjamateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 AM   #5
atakacorp
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 162039

Tika3 best rifle for the money , get good rings, dissent glass ,with reloads 1/2"MOA all day long, I did 4" ,500 yards ,with reloads and Lupold 4-10X44
atakacorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:53 AM   #6
atakacorp
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamateo View Post
A cz 550 Fs?
Those are nice.
nice stick ,but for that money i would get Sako finlight and call it a day
BTW OP ,why 308 , have you try 6.5X55SE?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
Bakwa

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSi View Post
So pretty basic, I have handled all but the Tikka. Caliber in question is .308 Win.

So far I can break down that option wise out of the gate the Savage is the cheapest ($900) and has the most options for price. I don't like the safety as much as my now sold Remington 700 but that's about it. It also uses costlier mags. The action is smooth and the trigger is great. I also will need to purchase a muzzle break.

The RPR can be had for about $1200 and uses P-mags which I have an abundance of. I really like the option to swap a lot of AR accessories and the folding stock from the factory seems robust and we'll designed. The trigger is close to the Savage and I feel it's going to have much more aftermarket options especially with the popularity.

The T3. All accounts lead to this rifle having the best action and having the smother bolt.
Most of my reading leads me to think most people love these rifles and I have yet to read anything negative. Obviously in the long route it will cost the most as I will need to pay for a chassis and the mags are costly as well.

As for price, I'd like to be all in at <$1500 but I can stretch it without a problem. I already have a NF to mount so that isn't a problem.

Use will be a lot of plinking from 100-600 yards, occasionally 800-1000 on rare accounts.

What you all think?
Have you considered foregoing the chassis for now and just running a stock Tikka T3 CTR?
That's a lot of value in that package, and it will do what you want right out of the box.
Upgrade down the road as you get extra money and you'll have the best end game product on that Tikka action.
Bakwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
UrbanSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakacorp View Post
BTW OP ,why 308 , have you try 6.5X55SE?
Considered but I'm already heavily vested in components for .308 and my costs are considerably cheaper then switching to the newest fad caliber.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #9
draftpick
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 162636

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakacorp View Post
Tika3 best rifle for the money , get good rings, dissent glass ,with reloads 1/2"MOA all day long, I did 4" ,500 yards ,with reloads and Lupold 4-10X44
It's a good rifle but no better in accuracy than any of the above options. I have shot a Tikka 3, RPR and own a Stealth. But shooting at distance I find I need a pistol grip, and many other do a well.
draftpick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

AKaholic #: 181685

I have the Ruger Precision and 3 Tikka T3 rifles.... one of my Army buddys has the Savage Stealth. Plenty of trigger time behind all of them.
None are junk.
I would rate the Ruger and the Tikka neck in neck for precision but, If I was looking for a hunting rifle that I was gonna pack as well it would be the Tikka.
The Savage is nice and cheaper in cost than the Ruger Precision but, for under $700 (what I paid for all my Tikka T3s) and 7lbs shooting MOA outta the box, the Tikka are really a great packing and shooting rifle.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
Corpsie
^^e0w~

AKaholic #: 168814

I think that's a lot of money for plinking when cheapo rifles are capable of those distances.

Do you want a chassis'd rifle for capability or refinement?

Ruger American at ~1 mile in 6.5 Creedmoor
https://youtu.be/blcfloZYuig
Corpsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
UrbanSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsie View Post
I think that's a lot of money for plinking when cheapo rifles are capable of those distances.

Do you want a chassis'd rifle for capability or refinement?

Ruger American at ~1 mile in 6.5 Creedmoor
https://youtu.be/blcfloZYuig
Years ago I would agree, I no longer buy "cheapo" firearms/electronics or really anything for that matter.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #13
kawasakifreak77

AKaholic #: 176621

Quote:
Considered but I'm already heavily vested in components for .308 and my costs are considerably cheaper then switching to the newest fad caliber.
Umm... 6.5 Swede was created around 120 years ago man.

Just fyi, it is an incredible caliber. I understand being heavily invested in a caliber, I'm heavily invested in several lol!

For the rifle? Tikka. I just got one & it is a seriously nice gun. Very smooth, very very accurate.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:57 PM   #14
Bakwa

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
Umm... 6.5 Swede was created around 120 years ago man.

Just fyi, it is an incredible caliber. I understand being heavily invested in a caliber, I'm heavily invested in several lol!

For the rifle? Tikka. I just got one & it is a seriously nice gun. Very smooth, very very accurate.
6.5 just makes for an excellent projectile. Swedes (and everyone else) been taking large game with that caliber to this day. 6.5 all the way. But right now I'm into the Creedmoor.
6.5Creedmoor T3 CTR all the way!
Bakwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #15
Blazin

AKaholic #: 157635

Tikka T3 is a GREAT rifle, but the RPR's accuracy, features, and versatility give it the win IMHO. Want a new handguard, you can use an AR handguard, want a new caliber for longer range (6.5 Creed) spin the barrel off and spin a new one on. Wear out your barrel, spin a new one on. Close friend of mine has an RPR and I was a skeptic at first, but that thing can shoot! Plus the bolt is a shorter throw and much smoother than my high dollar bolt rifles; you can run the RPR fast.
Blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #16
LPRoad

AKaholic #: 184584

I can't comment on the other 2, but I sure like my Tikka CTR. I went with 260 Remington because I have a 308 and I wanted to be able to neck down the spare brass for the 260. The generous magazine length gives me quite a bit of room to play with COAL. The CTR stock is stiffer than most of the polymer offerings you find these days.

If you are dead set on a chassis, looks like it be hard to beat the RPR for the money. They came on so strong at release, there are already a fair number of aftermarket goodies for them.
LPRoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #17
mostholycerebys
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165655

Tikkas are amazing, cant go wrong, great for 308.

I like the RPR but its best in a caliber designed for long range IMO. Would make a great adjunct to the 308 Tikka.
“We're going to win so much. You're going to get tired of winning. you’re going to say, ‘Please Mr. President, I have a headache. Please, don't win so much. This is getting terrible.’ And I'm going to say, ‘No, we have to make America great again.’ You're gonna say, ‘Please.’ I said, ‘Nope, nope. We're gonna keep winning.’
mostholycerebys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #18
atakacorp
Curio & Relic

OP you could look at Tikka T3 Varmint , I have one in 308 and after adjusting the trigger to 1lb and adding JP muzzle brake its a tack driver, .
Old 01-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #19
UrbanSi

Thanks for all the feedback, it's making this decision quite hard.

To be clear, the 6.5 is not an option.

I'm looking for a Tikka T3 locally, I feel I need to check one out in person before making my decision.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #20
nofreetime

AKaholic #: 180281

I ran into this Vanguard in an MDT chasis the other day in Cabela's for $1, 050. I thought it was interesting.

http://www.weatherby.com/vanguardr-modular-chassis.html
nofreetime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #21
cal50
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 2400

RPR / Ruger.
Followed by the Tikka or a Salvage.

Features and performance the Ruger leads them all. A guy at our range had a Tikka with issues and was getting the run around getting it sorted out. Salvage makes good rifles now but still fun to bash the name but I would take either over the Tikka.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #22
mostholycerebys
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165655

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal50 View Post
RPR / Ruger.
Followed by the Tikka or a Salvage.

Features and performance the Ruger leads them all. A guy at our range had a Tikka with issues and was getting the run around getting it sorted out. Salvage makes good rifles now but still fun to bash the name but I would take either over the Tikka.
First time I have ever heard of a problem with a Tikka. They are amazing rifles. Savage is good too.
“We're going to win so much. You're going to get tired of winning. you’re going to say, ‘Please Mr. President, I have a headache. Please, don't win so much. This is getting terrible.’ And I'm going to say, ‘No, we have to make America great again.’ You're gonna say, ‘Please.’ I said, ‘Nope, nope. We're gonna keep winning.’
mostholycerebys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #23
atakacorp
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostholycerebys View Post
First time I have ever heard of a problem with a Tikka. They are amazing rifles. Savage is good too.
+1 i never heard ether ,never had any problems with my Tikkas and Sako.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:24 PM   #24
npconnor
MilSurp Fanatic

AKaholic #: 171749

Similar person here with similar predicament. Looking for a .308 Winchester bolt gun that will let me easily lob rounds at 500+ yards on my property.

Since it's .308 Winchester (I'll be using M80 ball) - I'm not convinced the Tikka or Ruger will offer any discernible/ significantly better performance within the effective range of .308 Winchester.

There are a bunch of other, smaller/minute factors at play. The Ruger is rarely in stock, the Savage is a few hundred dollars less expensive, etc... that all lead me to see the Savage as my personal choice.

Just some rambling - probably incoherent, thoughts on the same decision that I'm trying to make too!
npconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #25
tony308

AKaholic #: 175276

bought my wife a tikka t3 in 308 for hunting its smooth as butter.
tony308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:27 AM   #26
HPP
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 19940

Quote:
Years ago I would agree, I no longer buy "cheapo" firearms/electronics or really anything for that matter.
I recently bought a used tikka 308 and put it in a KRG chassis. Easily the best of the "cheap" setups if you want a chassis, vertical grip, AI mags etc. Tomorrow I'll post pics to give you an idea.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #27
knuckleballz

AKaholic #: 166705
Wink I have a 308 tikka ctr and a ruger precision rifle.

The ctr tikka in 308 has a superior action, triggr, and barrel out of the box, along with a threaded barrel. 308s are easier to find since everyone wants 6.5. You can find the ctr for 875$. The heavier barrel on the ctr will shoot 1/4 moa and doesn't open up groups after 10 rounds like the ruger does when the barrel heats up. The plastic stock works good enough. I shoot mine bench rest, and have used it for hunting. It is hit or miss wether or not you will get a ruger precision rifle that is a good shooter. My 6.5 creedmoor ruger precision rifle isn't as accurate as my ctr. I like them both. You can't go wrong with either one. Do like I did and buy both
knuckleballz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #28
UrbanSi

Well against all the odds I bought the Savage.

Honestly, I wasn't as impressed with the Tikka as I assumed I would be. I really dislike the safety and the proprietary mags.

So a few weeks later after a lot of continuous handling of all 3 led me to the Stealth.

I just picked it up today with a silencerco muzzle break and ergo grip. Mounted my Nightforce and cleaned it up. Couldn't be happier.

Now I just need to find time to shoot it, weather permitting.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #29
paulo

AKaholic #: 509

Savage B12 low profile Varminter. Detachable mags, one in ten twist on a 26 inch tube. You can run the 155 Palma up to the 178's.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #30
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

Quote:
Well against all the odds I bought the Savage.

Honestly, I wasn't as impressed with the Tikka as I assumed I would be. I really dislike the safety and the proprietary mags.

So a few weeks later after a lot of continuous handling of all 3 led me to the Stealth.

I just picked it up today with a silencerco muzzle break and ergo grip. Mounted my Nightforce and cleaned it up. Couldn't be happier.

Now I just need to find time to shoot it, weather permitting.
Excellent Choice..!

Years back I was looking for a Bolter in .308.

I looked at many rifles and asked and received many an expert opinion, ranging from Hunters to range-only Paper Punchers to retired tactical LEOs.

My research spanned a year and a half, and in that time, many rifles were discussed; but One Rifle kept coming up more often than the others, the 10PC.

So I finally decided to go with the Savage 10PC.

That was 6 years ago and I could not be happier.

BTW, the Savage 10PC in .308 was featured in a YouTube vid about building a 1000Yrd rifle for under $1000, including scope & scope rings.

IMHO, Savage is the best bang for the Buck, out-of-the-box.

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #31
UrbanSi

Pretty simple setup.
-Nightforce 4-14X56 and Nightforce titanium rings
Ergo grip
Got a couple extra AICS magpul mags
Atlas bipod from another rifle once I get some mlok adaptors