Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 01-09-2017, 03:18 AM   #1
roach4

AKaholic #: 166154
Default Eotech scopes are they back now

does anyone no if eotech red dots are ok to buy now,i read there was an issue with them but its not telling me which models to stay away from.
i seen where the goverment sued them and one and eotech is refunding people there money,so if anyone knows whats going on i would appreciate it.
roach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:59 AM   #2
David Teague
Moderator and Shitlord

AKaholic #: 162037

They can not fix their extreme temperature sight drift.

http://www.novarata.net/images/n/teague-sigpic-357.jpg
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Eotechs are fine. The problem is with the sight's "Thermal Drift", where your dot will shift at extreme temperature changes because the metal parts of your scope expand and contract. Odds are you will rarely go from 70 degrees to -40 or +122.

FYI most other red dots (including Aimpoint) suffer from thermal drift as well, Eotech's problem was just selling it to the military as being unaffected by Thermal Drift. Therefore, odds are whatever you buy because you are afraid to buy Eotech will have the same issue.
jmano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #4
COJeff

AKaholic #: 178039

I got one on blavk Friday and love it.
COJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
Sabre5G
Motorcycle Cowboy

AKaholic #: 181719

Eotech is mine. I hope all the tactickle retards on the internets diss the hell out of the Eotechs so I can get them for 200$ from here on out. I'd take them over any Aimpoint with 20 years battery life to lose the toilet paper tube effect. Not only that, the Eotech is probably the best 0-500 optic I know of because it has range estimations.

The downside of Eotech is that I heard their CS sucks of late. If I could get an ACSS reticle on one, I'd put one on a 545 or 308.

I'll be getting into Trijicon optics for my next optic.

I have the EXPS2 and the 558 AA NVG newer model both with QD

"There is a huge difference between owners wanting to mod their fully functional guns and having to mod their guns before they operate as expected."
-originaly posted by Nalioth
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #6
roach4

thanks for the input as long as eotech is still in buisness,i'm not going where it's 40 degress below freezing.still looking around and the three that i like are the 518_eotech,aimpoint pro and the Meprolight Mepro all around $400.00 plus,but still leaning towards the eotech for the wide site window.
tell you the truth i'm wore out cause there are so many out there but i'm going with a company thats been around.
thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

This video does an excellent comparison of an Aimpoint, Meprolight, Eotech and Trijicon.

It doesn't focus necessarily on which one is best, but more what each one does and how well. It's good for deciding what features you care about the most.
jmano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:36 AM   #8
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach4 View Post
thanks for the input as long as eotech is still in buisness,i'm not going where it's 40 degress below freezing.still looking around and the three that i like are the 518_eotech,aimpoint pro and the Meprolight Mepro all around $400.00 plus,but still leaning towards the eotech for the wide site window.
tell you the truth i'm wore out cause there are so many out there but i'm going with a company thats been around.
thanks
Sportsmens Guide is due to have Eotech on sale soon.
You can pick up a 512 for $340. XPS models for $400.
Check slickguns.com daily.
Back to Eotech, I have several 512s and love um.
Between a larger FOV and that circle to dot, target acquisition is quicker than that of other red dots.
Ive not had any issues with any of my 512s and recently picked up another.
Add a 3x slide to side magnifier and you have one very good optic.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #9
Tldelaney
Cyber Warrior

AKaholic #: 181612

If you are concerned and on the fence about buying an eotech, Vortex is releasing their "Huey" holographic sight come spring.

I'm looking for atan EXPS3-0 as my next optic
Tldelaney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:00 AM   #10
roach4

i was just about to go to amazon this weekend and get a 512 thanks for that info,you think the 512 and eotech magnifier would fit the carbine with the front sights,would there be enough room,if not i would have to remove the sights and find another stock,thing was i liked the look with the sights on.
thank's
Old 01-13-2017, 05:56 AM   #11
4mula
Curio & Relic

Roach, theres no need to buy a Eotech magnifier. You can buy less expensive models as they preform very well.
Also as i had suggested Sportsmen Guide is due to have 512s back on sale for $340. Unless you can score one on Amazon for that price, wait.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #12
S. Fisher
Contributor

AKaholic #: 10729

I have the 512 on an AR-10 and I live where it can get -60, I've shot it at -25 and the optic worked great. An it takes AA bats.

A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.
Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, February 12, 1779
S. Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #13
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

I have several and have had no issues with any of them. Temps in my AO are 10-105F. Almost never outside those.
I wasn't aware that any RD could have drift but I suppose it is possible. What put me off is their deceitfulness about issues to the military. They flat out lied and that is BS. The HRD site is also prone to delamination which is unique to this sight and they eat batteries like a starved T-Rex. Even when not in use and leakage (especially alkaline) will ruin the contacts. AA are cheap and ubiquitous so I keep them in the pistol grip when the sight is not being used.
So while I have had no issues and did not return them I probably would not buy another because of the lying.
The HOLOSUN sight is a RD non holographic but has the same reticle and is an excellent product. The battery life is eons longer than the EoTech.
ddnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #14
David Teague
Moderator and Shitlord

AKaholic #: 162037

To the OP's question

Quote:
Eotech scopes, are they back now?
They never went away.

I just don't see how they can stay in business with the incredible number of refunds going out each month and major drop in sales on their offering.

(PS I own an older Eotech that has been out at sub zero temps without an issue.)

http://www.novarata.net/images/n/teague-sigpic-357.jpg
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
Hox013

AKaholic #: 183407

I had a 516 and an EXPS-2. I had zero problems with either. after initial sight in I shoot 3/4 steel torsos so I wouldn't have noticed any insignificant changes in MOA. The is test was done from a guy over at M4C forums. last post on the page. His experienced 1 1/2 moa shift at 32F. His zero temp was 73F. The shift did not increase past that point, all the way down to -22F. he experienced no shift with an increase of heat up to 150F. His test was done in controlled environments.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....her-test/page8

I wouldn't worry about it if you like the rest of it, but I'm sure it could vary by individual units. For what it's worth, I run aimpoints now. This is more because of impact resistance tests relative to MOA shifts I've seen (which are still unlikely for what I'm using my personal rifles for). Sure do prefer the Eotech reticle though. My department runs trijicon reflex on patrol rifles, which is my least favorite of the three based on reticle alone. ETA: edited to add link.
Hox013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #16
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
i was just about to go to amazon this weekend and get a 512 thanks for that info,you think the 512 and eotech magnifier would fit the carbine with the front sights,would there be enough room,if not i would have to remove the sights and find another stock,thing was i liked the look with the sights on.
thank's
You need quad rails
I have three of these on my ARs,
https://monstrumtactical.com/collect...nt=15621183235
Old 01-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

It was basically a scam lawsuit.. Every person that returned for refund resulted in a cash reward to a law firm that sues gunmakers into bankruptcy. If you did the refund you directly supported the enemy.
There was never a problem. Thermal drift affects rifles more than optics. The test never addressed that.
The goal was to drive the company into the ground.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #18
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
thank's
I was right, Eotechs back onsale,
https://www.slickguns.com/product/eo...9-members-only
Old 01-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #19
1996Beryl

AKaholic #: 180746

Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
It was basically a scam lawsuit.. Every person that returned for refund resulted in a cash reward to a law firm that sues gunmakers into bankruptcy. If you did the refund you directly supported the enemy.
There was never a problem. Thermal drift affects rifles more than optics. The test never addressed that.
Bold assertion, what exactly is this anti gun law firms name? What other gun makers have they sued into bankruptcy? From all accounts the only fraud committed has been L3 and Eotech.
1996Beryl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #20
Saxon

AKaholic #: 2707

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Fisher View Post
I have the 512 on an AR-10 and I live where it can get -60, I've shot it at -25 and the optic worked great. An it takes AA bats.

You ever have any problems with the AR 10 itself in those kind of temperatures? What kind of oil are you using?

There's nothing wrong with backing out of a sale if you discover something about the seller, realize you spoke too soon, or for any reason as long as you let the seller know .
Saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #21
S. Fisher
Contributor

AKaholic #: 10729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
You ever have any problems with the AR 10 itself in those kind of temperatures? What kind of oil are you using?
No problems with the gun, I use a 30/70% mix of corrosion x and aims oil synthetic trans fluid.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.
Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, February 12, 1779
S. Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #22
Sabre5G
Motorcycle Cowboy

Default Wow. Did not know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
And the tactickle tards on YouTube seem to use this as divine gospel. And Eotech is made here at home yet shill for Aimpoints? I am glad you put this into perspective. So that law firm is antigun scumbags and so they have us eat our own...

"There is a huge difference between owners wanting to mod their fully functional guns and having to mod their guns before they operate as expected."
Old 01-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #23
Mrgunsngear
AKaholic

AKaholic #: 161751

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmano View Post
Eotechs are fine. The problem is with the sight's "Thermal Drift", where your dot will shift at extreme temperature changes because the metal parts of your scope expand and contract. Odds are you will rarely go from 70 degrees to -40 or +122.

FYI most other red dots (including Aimpoint) suffer from thermal drift as well, Eotech's problem was just selling it to the military as being unaffected by Thermal Drift. Therefore, odds are whatever you buy because you are afraid to buy Eotech will have the same issue.

This is a solid summary. One thing to note; according to WARCOM, EOTech's (5xx series) has about double what the CCO had.

I *think* it was an extreme of 6 or 7 MOA for the EOTech and 2-4 for the CCO. I haven't read in since it came out so I could be off on the numbers but they're close.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:31 AM   #24
roach4

i bought the eotech with the magnifier i hope i made the right decision after reading and watching people on you tube.i paid $900.00 on universalmania.com.this will be the first time putting a red dot on any rifle,mostly scopes.it took me 2 weeks to pull the trigger on this deal,i was getting tired of looking at the pay now page.
i have questions about my front site being in the way when looking threw the site window.
i may remove it and find a gas block that has a picatinny rail on it but not sure yet so i'm holding off until i get it.
i didn't actually want to dump a whole bunch of cash into this rifle all my others i just buy them and shootem,so far i dropped a geiselle 3gun trigger changed the hand guard and few other things,so thanks to everyone who helped me out.
---------------------
EXPS2-2 with G33.STS magnifier.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #25
Nacho Man
<{((( Po' Pimpin )))}>

AKaholic #: 178158

Ive been running a Eotech 512 since 2010. Still solid performer. Not concerned with thermal drift, all electronic devices can be affected by extreme temperatures. If your below -40 or above 130F you got bigger problems then you Eotech drifting 5 moa lol.
Nacho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:15 AM   #26
Sabre5G
Motorcycle Cowboy

The front sight won't be noticed. I used it like that in the army and I prefer the sight tower over the little call of duty flip down sights.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:36 AM   #27
roach4

so i'm good then,don't think i 'll have to worry about thermal drift in florida and i'm glad about the front sights you answered my question.
thanks
Old 01-15-2017, 02:38 AM   #28
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Man View Post
.....above 130F you got bigger problems then you Eotech drifting 5 moa lol.
Not necessarily, 100 degree temps (ambient) will produce temps on dark metallic objects well over 125 degree plus. That whole fry an egg on the side walk or hood of your car are ambient temps at or around 100 and will exceed the rated high issue limit on dark metals.
How many time have you laid you rifle down on a bench, etc. in these temps and it was too hot to hold? Plenty for me. Some people keep these in their car and those produce equally high temps as well.
ddnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #29
paragrunt

AKaholic #: 183302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmano View Post
Yup, odds are that most will not see those temperature fluctuations. However, if one lives in a cold weather region, going from well below freezing to above room temperature within a short amount of time could manifest this problem. At that point, I'd be more worried about the weapon sweating and then freezing the bolt after going back out into the cold.

When I was a very young Paratrooper back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for us to go from an 85 squad tent or GP medium (or large) and then out into - 20, and then back into the tent. So, once your weapon warmed up, you broken it open and wiped it down. Otherwise it would sweat and your bolt could and often times would freeze shut after you went back outside. I could see this messing with the internals of a RD, as well as just sucking the life outta batteries.
paragrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:21 PM   #30
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre5G View Post
The front sight won't be noticed. I used it like that in the army and I prefer the sight tower over the little call of duty flip down sights.
YUP.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #31
Er98ah

AKaholic #: 190651

Owned one eotech and it was a pos. It would flicker on and off at a 70 degree range. Got the refund and bought an aimpoint. I currently run 3 aimpoints, and ive never had any problems with any of them. Maybe I just had bad luck with eotech. I do like the eotech for running nightvision.
Er98ah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #32
cal50
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 2400

I had my Eotech in single digit temps and no issues. My 1st one had a crappy battery holder that was upgraded but other than that one issue they are good sighting equipment IMHO.