Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #106
Malev
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 64827

A little bit of inspiration: Florida's oldest (and possibly the strongest) Corrections Officer is 81 years old...

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20...haps-strongest
Malev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:47 PM   #107
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183324

Ugh...so I broke down and joined Planet Fitness last month. Don't laugh, its $10 a month and only half a mile away. I joined because they have nice treadmills, so I'd have a way to keep up with my running during the winter. And figured since I was paying, I might as well work out there too. It works, I'm not trying to be the next Mr. Olympia or anything. Better than nothing, right? And I don't know what other Planet Fitnesses are like, but the eye candy here is pretty nice. Its a shame I'm not twenty years younger.

"Let's do this!" - Leeroy Jenkins
Solid Snake 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #108
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
I have a very simple set up. I am too cheap to spend a few hundred bucks a year for a gym membership. So I decided it was best to get the equipment I most often use at the gym and have the convenience to work out at home, and in relative comfort.

First I got Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells up to 52.5 lbs. They also save on space:

Black Blade, just curious, how are you liking your Bowflex dumbbells? I'm probably going to get this set next week.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #109
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 181106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 View Post
Black Blade, just curious, how are you liking your Bowflex dumbbells? I'm probably going to get this set next week.
I like them. More convenient, compact and take up less room than my sets of loose barbells since the wife confiscated more of my home gym area for her art studio needs.

For the money they are a good buy imo. Feel a bit awkward at first compared to the regular barbells tho but not hard to adjust for. I use primarily as a warm up before running and biking to get my blood pumping as it were.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #110
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I like them. More convenient, compact and take up less room than my sets of loose barbells since the wife confiscated more of my home gym area for her art studio needs.

For the money they are a good buy imo. Feel a bit awkward at first compared to the regular barbells tho but not hard to adjust for. I use primarily as a warm up before running and biking to get my blood pumping as it were. Now that winter is here I will likely be expand my time on weights and the spinning bike.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #111
ForTheCorps

AKaholic #: 187239

I just came across this thread and found time to get back into training since I'm starting a new job in a few weeks. Believe it or not, what really pushed me to get back into it was going to physical therapy for my knee these past 4 weeks. I'll be 42 next month and don't want to turn into a slob either.
ForTheCorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #112
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheCorps View Post
I just came across this thread and found time to get back into training since I'm starting a new job in a few weeks. Believe it or not, what really pushed me to get back into it was going to physical therapy for my knee these past 4 weeks. I'll be 42 next month and don't want to turn into a slob either.
Yep, we're at that age where you really have to get serious about it. Getting in shape won't get any easier if you put it off any longer. But it can still be done. You just have to commit to it. You have to genuinely want it. You can't just go to the gym, go through the motions, and say "Cool, I just worked out." It doesn't work that way, not at our age anyway.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #113
ForTheCorps

Quote:
Yep, we're at that age where you really have to get serious about it. Getting in shape won't get any easier if you put it off any longer. But it can still be done. You just have to commit to it. You have to genuinely want it. You can't just go to the gym, go through the motions, and say "Cool, I just worked out." It doesn't work that way, not at our age anyway.
Oh definitely! Once upon a time I was pretty dedicated to weight training so at least I'll know what I'm doing. For the past 5 years my job ran me into the ground and didn't leave much time to do anything.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #114
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Oh definitely! Once upon a time I was pretty dedicated to weight training so at least I'll know what I'm doing. For the past 5 years my job ran me into the ground and didn't leave much time to do anything.
Just spent a week celebrating Christmas with my parent and grandmothers. That ran me WAY into the ground. Its amazing what eating like shit for a week can do. Back on the program tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:24 AM   #115
EGMak104FR

AKaholic #: 182974
Location: United States I love Russian type firearms. Especially, AK's and Makarovs

Consider me on board guys. Tired of the lack of energy and feeling like shit. My new year's resolution is getting in shape and eating well. Which (for me) definitely means no sugar/high fructose corn syrup. Sounds simple enough but it's kinda crazy when you realize how much of our food is loaded with high fructose or some form of sugar. I will stick to a low carb(no sugars) high protein diet. And of course, LOTS of exercise. Was easier when I was younger and had hockey practice and weightlifted most days, but now I'm 30 and engaged. Gotta make it happen. Time to get back into shape for the soon to be wifey. My new motto is "No Excuses!!!"
EGMak104FR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:18 AM   #116
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

I went "off program" and indulged in the holiday eats. Back to yogurt breakfast, Yerba Mate till afternoon Whey protein and banana shake, and salad dinner. And the spinning bike and weights.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #117
ForTheCorps

I'm sore as shit from day 1 and going back for more today. I wouldn't consider myself a beginner, but when you've been out of the loop for awhile it's just like starting all over again.

If it's of any interest, this is what I'm starting out with to drop a few pounds and get myself acclimated once again. I'll be adding some moderate cardio on 2 of the off days.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/begi...ss_program.htm
Old 01-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #118
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

Determined to get my ass in shape this year. I've started up with a local dude who is friggin' huge and obviously knows what he's doing. He's a personal trainer and nutritionist and makes custom made meals. $100 a week get's you all your meals prepared for you. I get 3 meals and 2 snacks a day for 6 days. All of it is real food, high quality proteins and fresh fruits and veg, nothing canned or processed. All I have to do is eat what's prepared. He is in constant contact for adjustments....if weight isn't coming off, dealing with hunger, etc...... I'm going to do this for a year. At that point I'm sure I'll be used to it enough to make my own meals and portions, but for now it's excellent training because all the guess work is out of it for me. I'm also going to start some light exercise and slowly ramp that up. Very determined.
Dave Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #119
ForTheCorps

Sounds like a solid plan ^^^. Getting started is the hardest part.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #120
oakhandledsks
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 7249

Quote:
I went "off program" and indulged in the holiday eats. Back to yogurt breakfast, Yerba Mate till afternoon Whey protein and banana shake, and salad dinner. And the spinning bike and weights.
Offt I put on 7 lbs in 8 weeks and its all sitting right in my gut. I will handle it, cut carbs, hit the gym, get back on the bike.

Happy new years you fatters
oakhandledsks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #121
irierider
((10)) Troll Brigade Commander

AKaholic #: 159069

We'll after being pretty lean this summer, I decided to get fat and see if I can lose it easily. Went from 175 to 205 in 16 weeks haha, just eating how I want. Lifts went up, but I felt like a fat POS, back down to 190, abs but not shredded, hit a PR OHP of 195, 475 deadlift (with wrist straps) I want to stay here 185/195 for a few months, goal by winter is a 2 plate OHP, 3 plate bench, 4 plate squat, 5 plate Deadlift. I'm 20-30lb shy in each lift. My reward will be some nice gear, wrist wraps, knee sleeves and a power lifting belt.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #122
Woodstock

AKaholic #: 174784

Quote:
Ugh...so I broke down and joined Planet Fitness last month. Don't laugh, its $10 a month and only half a mile away. I joined because they have nice treadmills, so I'd have a way to keep up with my running during the winter. And figured since I was paying, I might as well work out there too. It works, I'm not trying to be the next Mr. Olympia or anything. Better than nothing, right? And I don't know what other Planet Fitnesses are like, but the eye candy here is pretty nice. Its a shame I'm not twenty years younger.

Nothing wrong with that! If it keeps you active and in shape it's a good idea in my opinion. I have kept my membership to PF for the days my friend can't have group workouts in his garage. Today's workout:
15 rounds of kettlebell power snatch (1 left, 1 right), kick out r/l from push-up position, 3 chin ups.

Then 4 rounds of
50 seconds work, 10 sec rest/switch stations:
-body rows
-squat jumps
-Ring planks
-steel club halo
-Burpees
-lateral lunges

We also started a 30 Burpees a day for 30 days today with my brother, brother in law and 2 nephews. Winner gets beer from the losers.
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #123
bearpaws1973

AKaholic #: 165942

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhandledsks View Post
Offt I put on 7 lbs in 8 weeks and its all sitting right in my gut. I will handle it, cut carbs, hit the gym, get back on the bike.

Happy new years you fatters
Lol! The holiday definitely add it, I started early, I'm down 13 since Christmas day! I want abs again!!! So I'm sticking with it hard this time! AS I get older the weight is harder to come off!

Lucky7

Last edited by bearpaws1973; 01-09-2017 at 09:43 AM.
bearpaws1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #124
bearpaws1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by irierider View Post
We'll after being pretty lean this summer, I decided to get fat and see if I can lose it easily. Went from 175 to 205 in 16 weeks haha, just eating how I want. Lifts went up, but I felt like a fat POS, back down to 190, abs but not shredded, hit a PR OHP of 195, 475 deadlift (with wrist straps) I want to stay here 185/195 for a few months, goal by winter is a 2 plate OHP, 3 plate bench, 4 plate squat, 5 plate Deadlift. I'm 20-30lb shy in each lift. My reward will be some nice gear, wrist wraps, knee sleeves and a power lifting belt.
Very good job!! Keep it up!

Lucky7
Old 01-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #125
vianegativa85

AKaholic #: 159808

Never really been out of shape, but definitely need to get into a Cardio routine of some sort... just tough with an 8-month-old to take care of.

"Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape."
vianegativa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #126
bearpaws1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by vianegativa85 View Post
Never really been out of shape, but definitely need to get into a Cardio routine of some sort... just tough with an 8-month-old to take care of.
Here you go! LOL I'm not sure it would work but.....

Lucky7
Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #127
DrNRA

AKaholic #: 176619

Sent a request to join the FB group. Did 5.2 miles in 20 degrees yesterday. Being cold motivated me to run faster.
DrNRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #128
rcm1201

AKaholic #: 165990

I'm already in relatively good shape at 28- weight lifting 3 days a week. Cardio usually 1 day in the form of basketball. The wife has gotten super motivated this year so I have started to follow suit with lifting 4 days a week and basketball and/or other high intensity cardio 4 days per week. Trying to achieve the best shape of my life before the inevitable uphill climb starts around the 30s.
rcm1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #129
Blazin

AKaholic #: 157635

I was talking with a physical therapist clinic owner a few weeks ago, and asked her what she felt was most important to prevent injuries as we age, flexibility or strength. Without hesitation she answered flexibility. Only mentioning this because there has been no mention of flexibility thus far in this thread, and don't want one of us 40+ year olds hurting ourselves.
Blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #130
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

Exercise is necessary but so is watching what you eat. Once in a while I will eat the typical holiday food but my metabolism is slow enough even working out so my typical daily meals are somewhat limited.

Breakfast - I start with some Yerba Mate (and maybe a small peach yogurt)

Lunch - Whey and Banana (blended with ice cubes) into a shake. I like chocolate flavor best

Dinner - Salad (just lettuce, tomato, chili pepper, fresh oregano, sometimes fresh cilantro or basil, a little dried berries and pecans/walnuts - beef or chicken strips and olive oil and Balsamic vinegar for dressing - sometimes a kick it up wit a sprinkling of Ghost, Scorpion or Carolina Reaper chili flakes)

Once in a while I will have a handful of nuts (usually almonds) for a late snack with a glass of lemonade (Crystal Light).
Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #131
muffindrvr

AKaholic #: 156960

im 44 yrs old have been working out for 2.5 yrs. weigh 193. running 13% bodyfat . lost weight by stopped eating bread. went gluten free .have one cheat day a week.work out 3 or 4 days a week. have my own set up down stairs. bought it all at walmart .. am on flexstack hardcore andgnc amped gold protein powder and serious mass weight gainer
muffindrvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #132
scottyhipockets

AKaholic #: 183252

Quote:
Sounds like a solid plan ^^^. Getting started is the hardest part.
100℅ Wrong! The hard part is not quitting.
scottyhipockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #133
bearpaws1973

Awesome! You can train as hard as you want but if your diet is crap it will amount to a hill of beans. As we get older the metabolism slows down, so we need t be aware of what we put in our bodies. A good nutritional base is important to overall health!!

Has any one ever considered meal replacement shakes as a survival food? A couple of tubs of weight gainer would probably last a month or more in a survival situation!

Quote:
Exercise is necessary but so is watching what you eat. Once in a while I will eat the typical holiday food but my metabolism is slow enough even working out so my typical daily meals are somewhat limited.

Breakfast - I start with some Yerba Mate (and maybe a small peach yogurt)

Lunch - Whey and Banana (blended with ice cubes) into a shake. I like chocolate flavor best

Dinner - Salad (just lettuce, tomato, chili pepper, fresh oregano, sometimes fresh cilantro or basil, a little dried berries and pecans/walnuts - beef or chicken strips and olive oil and Balsamic vinegar for dressing - sometimes a kick it up wit a sprinkling of Ghost, Scorpion or Carolina Reaper chili flakes)

Once in a while I will have a handful of nuts (usually almonds) for a late snack with a glass of lemonade (Crystal Light).

Lucky7
Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #134
bearpaws1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin View Post
I was talking with a physical therapist clinic owner a few weeks ago, and asked her what she felt was most important to prevent injuries as we age, flexibility or strength. Without hesitation she answered flexibility. Only mentioning this because there has been no mention of flexibility thus far in this thread, and don't want one of us 40+ year olds hurting ourselves.
I do a ton of flexibility training with the Olympic lift. I do a series called the Limber 11

https://www.defrancostraining.com/jo...ility-routine/

It is important it will also help loosen you up when you are sore!

Lucky7
Old 01-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #135
TexasDave
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156092

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindrvr View Post
im 44 yrs old have been working out for 2.5 yrs. weigh 193. running 13% bodyfat . lost weight by stopped eating bread. went gluten free .have one cheat day a week.work out 3 or 4 days a week. have my own set up down stairs. bought it all at walmart .. am on flexstack hardcore andgnc amped gold protein powder and serious mass weight gainer
Awesome!

My wife, when we were still dating, challenged me to try Mark Sisson's Primal Eating methodologies. I have since also dropped wheat products from my diet and incorporated more full fat and vegetable based carbs into my diet. Rice and quinoa have replaced bread. I find that rice really fills me up and give me the energy I need.

Sodas are out. They aren't only full of sugar, but the damage that they do to the pulmonary system is shocking. Water and lots of hot tea have replaced pop on a daily basis. I do drink some fruit juice - mostly fresh squeezed - from time to time but the sugar content makes it a treat rather than a daily intake.

Once I realize that sugar = fat and that fat =/= fat it changed my whole mindset.

Like anything in life, moderation is a critical factor in success.

At the moment I hit the gym 3 days a week and do yoga less frequently than I should / used to (my wife is a yoga instructor so that helps tremendously when it comes to form, etc).

I am 33, stand 73.5 inches tall, and weighed 210 this morning. When I was religiously practicing yoga twice a day (age 30), 4 times a week, I leaned out to 195! I do lift heavier now so there is a change in muscle size and definition occurring. Still the goal of sub 200 is there and I believe I can hit it.

Like everyone else here I have goals that I am shooting for. I know the path to success and thankfully I have blazed it once before. I am looking forward to pulling my 32 waist pants out of the closet and put my 34 waist pants in their now occupied place.

I am proud of everyone in this thread who is working hard to better themselves or is at the very least considering it! If you need to start small, then get down and do as many pushups as you can right now! Do as many pushups as you can this evening as well! Begin to change your diet! Diet is at least 70% of your future success. Get some weights and use them! Heck just grab a 35 pound kettlebell and you are off and running - there are so many different exorcises that can be performed with just this once device plus body weight movements!

Cheers!

-Dave

PS - BEER! I forgot to mention this. I started on the 20% cheat 80% commitment ratio but have since dropped to less than 5% cheat! I may have a beer or two on the weekend, but I allow it as a special occasion now instead of a weekday habit. This has really helped lean out my midsection recently as I realized it was holding me back. I still do enjoy some whiskey during the week ... after all a man must have some vices to go with his Naked Whey and Pre-workout booster lol.

PSS - This is still my favorite inspirational yoga / life changing video I love to pass on to others. Anything is possible if you dedicate yourself to trying!

https://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448 (having an issue embedding atm)

Last edited by TexasDave; 01-12-2017 at 01:38 PM.
TexasDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #136
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

A few years ago I switched to the "Paleo-Diet" and it worked quite well. In fact I got into too much I think. Still a good one. A good well rounded diet is necessary for staying fit. I have an over abundance of grains and processed long term storage in my food preps as well as in my daily food consumption. We need high calorie foods if we are reduced to doing a lot of physical labor for meeting our basic requirements when the conveniences we now enjoy are no longer around. I periodically (several months at a time) will change my diet to shed a few pounds and increase my energy level. What works for me may not work for others. At these times I avoid grains and processed foods and go "Paleo" as in Paleo-Diet. It is like the Atkins diet on steroids. It's essentially a food plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various human species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual ancestral human diet. Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils. Combined with running, weight training and various cardio exercises it helps keep one fit and ready for the bad times ahead.

- Black Blade

Old 01-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #137
0DARK30
Mutatis Mutandis

AKaholic #: 169651

Forr a year now I have done 21 day fix pretty responsibly. At the same time,I have dropped over ten pounds, and lost 6 inches off of my waist. The Stronglifts 5x5 app has been a companion in this effort. I went from a blood sugar of 125 to 95. My blood pressure last week at my checkup is 123/72. I am 55 years old. For cardio during this time, my wife bought a nice elliptical, and I have done a mile uphill in 6:30. I am in the best shape I can remember, maybe when I was in the corps i was leaner, but strengthwise, no way. As soon as my belt gets here I am oging to start farmer's walking. i have a trap bar and a couple straight bars as well as dumb bells. I bought all of this crap off of craigs list, all 1" no olympic stuff. A short bench and a lat pulldown. All of it fits in the den, it is what I do and no need for another place to sit down. I can't wait to see the old doctor in another 6 months. I may check into the facebook site, I keep a pretty low profile online.
0DARK30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #138
0DARK30
Mutatis Mutandis

AKaholic #: 169651

OP Shakeology is so overpriced. You can get 95% same ingredients and analysus, for less than half the cost at Costco. we did Shakeology for six months, did some research, then a huge forehead slap. Hype for the wealthy. Honestly I am still making gains and packing my tissues tighter.
0DARK30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #139
TexasDave
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156092

Quote:
A few years ago I switched to the "Paleo-Diet" and it worked quite well. In fact I got into too much I think. Still a good one. A good well rounded diet is necessary for staying fit. I have an over abundance of grains and processed long term storage in my food preps as well as in my daily food consumption. We need high calorie foods if we are reduced to doing a lot of physical labor for meeting our basic requirements when the conveniences we now enjoy are no longer around. I periodically (several months at a time) will change my diet to shed a few pounds and increase my energy level. What works for me may not work for others. At these times I avoid grains and processed foods and go "Paleo" as in Paleo-Diet. It is like the Atkins diet on steroids. It's essentially a food plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various human species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual ancestral human diet. Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils. Combined with running, weight training and various cardio exercises it helps keep one fit and ready for the bad times ahead.

- Black Blade

Good stuff. Primal eating is taking paleo and working some full fat fermented dairy back into the mix (obviously this isn't for everyone and goats milk is more easily soluble than say cows milk) which is the methodology my wife and I stick to.

I hear you about the long term preps. If it gets back to a situation of daily labor, then those calories are going to be important. Plus stored wheat berries ground at home and then properly fermented with a reasonable amount of yeast will yield a more soluble bread product capable of sustaining life (as opposed to destroying it) unlike the mass produced wheat monstrosities on the market here in the US. Our preps include a ton of rice, quinoa, and canned veggies / meat. Basically its the things we eat now. The nice part of the whole shebang is that I regularly eat out of my prep pantry and replace it so I am already acclimated to eating in a similar manner to the dreaded day of the "emergency diet".

-Dave
TexasDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #140
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Default The Resolution Crowd...

So I am a member at my local Planet Fitness (don't laugh, its dirt cheap and half a mile away). Normally I don't mind the place. Its clean, well maintained, and the equipment does the job for me. I'm not a serious lifter, just want to stay in shape and do some winter running. But I have vowed to stop going there on weight training days for a while. The damn New Year's resolution crowd has overrun that place. I have nothing against people deciding to get in shape, I used to be one. But you know the type that I'm talking about. The ones who wander around, using the machines incorrectly so I can't use them, obviously not serious about it, just going through the motions so they can say "I worked out today!" Hey buddy, that's a calf machine, not a mini leg press. And no, I'm not going to offer to help them and tell them how to properly use the equipment. That's what Youtube is for. Anyway, this week I picked up a basic flat bench for dumbbell work. I have about 200 pounds in various plates and a set of dumbbell handles. I've found that I can get a lot accomplished with just that. Anyone else here getting irked by the resolution crowd? Or am I just an asshole? (for the record, I AM an asshole)

Okay, rant off.