Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Ammunition

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose and why?
South Korean M80 surplus 16 39.02%
Malaysian L2A2 surplus 19 46.34%
Other 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #36
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreetime View Post
Why?
Because of this.

With affordable and good quality surplus 7.62x51 available, I'll pay a few cents more per round every time for that.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #37
Richardmofo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 165722

I just ordered 1,800 rds of the maylasian 7.62mm. So hopefully it’s some good ammo.

Richardmofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #38
Returned

AKaholic #: 189425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardmofo View Post
I just ordered 1,800 rds of the maylasian 7.62mm. So hopefully it’s some good ammo.
If you watch the videos above you will note that the Maylasian L2A2 has noticably more recoil and noise vs say the wolf, but I've noticed that winchester white box M80 762 is softer and more quiet than Maylay L2A2 which has quite the blast and punch. Side by side with Surplus M80 the difference is still notable.

Dies iræ, dies illa, dies tribulationis et angustiæ, dies calamitatis et miseriæ, dies tenebrarum et caliginis, dies nebulæ et turbinis, dies tubæ et clangoris super civitates munitas et super angulos excelsos
Returned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #39
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Because of this.

With affordable and good quality surplus 7.62x51 available, I'll pay a few cents more per round every time for that.
Why? What does 70fps do for you? It's an extra 30-40 yards of supersonic range on a load which isn't accurate enough to consistently tag a full IPSC size target that far out anyhow. The last time I shot 308 I didn't walk away thinking, "man if I only had 50 ft/lbs more energy from an extra 70 fps". What I'd rather have is new production ammo since I'm going for bulk to stock/store it. I want new so I'm certain it can last several more decades. If it was spammed I'd feel differently but it's not and it is 30-40 years old so again Wolf. Now if you're not stocking it aside from something being wrong with you to not take advantage of current pricing the ammo is a good choice.

Then again if you really need that little bit of extra velocity try this.

Last edited by nofreetime; 12-12-2017 at 08:35 AM.
nofreetime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #40
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Why? What does 70fps do for you? It's an extra 30-40 yards of supersonic range on a load which isn't accurate enough to consistently tag a full IPSC size target that far out anyhow. The last time I shot 308 I didn't walk away thinking, "man if I only had 50 ft/lbs more energy from an extra 70 fps". What I'd rather have is new production ammo since I'm going for bulk to stock/store it. I want new so I'm certain it can last several more decades. If it was spammed I'd feel differently but it's not and it is 30-40 years old so again Wolf. Now if you're not stocking it aside from something being wrong with you to not take advantage of current pricing the ammo is a good choice.
Frankly the biggest downside to steel 308 is the jacketing and casing. copper jacketing and brass casings are going to more gentle over the long term and generally more consistent if at the very least because brass forms a better seal in the chamber than steel does, giving more consistent pressures and velocities.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #41
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
Frankly the biggest downside to steel 308 is the jacketing and casing. copper jacketing and brass casings are going to more gentle over the long term and generally more consistent if at the very least because brass forms a better seal in the chamber than steel does, giving more consistent pressures and velocities.
You do know that neither Malaysian South Korean or Wolf have a copper jacket right? They all have a "copper washed bimetal jacket" all are magnetic all projectiles are the same in material.

As far as more consistent velocities and pressures the Malaysian velocity test showed SD's at 20 & 21 fps which can be meet by Wolf.

The differences here are the price, some are old the other is new, and the casing which I'm not sending down the bore anyway so what does a non reloadable brass case do for me that a steel case can't?

Last edited by nofreetime; 12-12-2017 at 09:14 AM.
nofreetime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #42
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
You do know that neither Malaysian South Korean or Wolf have a copper jacket right? They all have a "copper washed bimetal jacket" all are magnetic all projectiles are the same in material.

As far as more consistent velocities and pressures the Malaysian velocity test showed SD's at 20 & 21 fps which can be meet by Wolf.

The differences here are the price, some are old the other is new, and the casing which I'm not sending down the bore anyway so what does a non reloadable brass case do for me that a steel case can't?
Unless your having stuck cases or something then nothing in your case really.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #43
Richardmofo
Veteran Member

My Malay ammo just came in today from SG ammo. I might have fuck up and ordered 3,600 rounds instead of 1,800. I originally ordered through sportsmans guide but they were temporarily out of stock and refunded my money. So I ordered from SG ammo instead. Today sportsmans guide sent an email saying my “canceled” order shipped and gave me a tracking number. So we will see if I have another 1,800 rounds show up.

The ammo from SG ammo was 1982 manufacture. I ordered two 900 rd crates. I only opened one but ammo looks brand new, nice and shiny with no tarnish. I can’t wait to go shoot it.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #44
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardmofo View Post
My Malay ammo just came in today from SG ammo. I might have fuck up and ordered 3,600 rounds instead of 1,800. I originally ordered through sportsmans guide but they were temporarily out of stock and refunded my money. So I ordered from SG ammo instead. Today sportsmans guide sent an email saying my “canceled” order shipped and gave me a tracking number. So we will see if I have another 1,800 rounds show up.

The ammo from SG ammo was 1982 manufacture. I ordered two 900 rd crates. I only opened one but ammo looks brand new, nice and shiny with no tarnish. I can’t wait to go shoot it.
3,600 rounds sounds like a good problem to have.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #45
Richardmofo
Veteran Member

Quote:

so what does a non reloadable brass case do for me that a steel case can't?
Shoot reliably out of a FAL.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #46
Richardmofo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
3,600 rounds sounds like a good problem to have.
I won’t complain too much. It would be great if they never charge my card for it.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #47
bill3542
Banned
Contributor

AKaholic #: 64

shooting steel case in a FAL is a really bad idea.
bill3542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #48
Smurgeon

AKaholic #: 190925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
Sam's description of the Korean ball mentions some cartridges and cartons tarnished. He usually is very conservative in his advertising. Has anyone noticed any on theirs?

Regards,

Buster
I ordered some South Korean surplus and his description is accurate. I would say about 15% of my cases has some tarnish on them. It was easily fixed by running the ammo through my case tumbler. Shined them right up and took care of the tarnish.
Smurgeon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #49
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurgeon View Post
I ordered some South Korean surplus and his description is accurate. I would say about 15% of my cases has some tarnish on them. It was easily fixed by running the ammo through my case tumbler. Shined them right up and took care of the tarnish.
Not a good idea to tumble loaded rounds. Smokeless powder burn rate is controlled by both a coating on the individual grains as well as their size and shape. Tumbling them can rub the coating off and crumble the grains, changing the burning rate. Too much change, KaBoom.

If you must remove tarnish, hand polish them.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #50
Richardmofo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurgeon View Post
The Malay I ordered had no tarnish at all.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #51
Smurgeon

AKaholic #: 190925

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
Not a good idea to tumble loaded rounds. Smokeless powder burn rate is controlled by both a coating on the individual grains as well as their size and shape. Tumbling them can rub the coating off and crumble the grains, changing the burning rate. Too much change, KaBoom.

If you must remove tarnish, hand polish them.

I'll let you know if I blow up. Still going to shoot it anyways.
Smurgeon is online now   Reply With Quote