Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 06-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
burninglegs
Where we go one we go all

AKaholic #: 183372
Default Ballistic helmets, what to look for?

Starting to look online at ballistic helmets. What brands would you guys recommend and what should I look for?
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Southern Prepper did a good you tube vid a few years back. If I am remembering right he recommends the MICH style. If possible I would go mil surp or a brand w a verifiable Leo or .mil contract. Apparently it's better than the PASGT type (I could have that backwards it's been awhile).

The internal suspension system is critical and as you prob know you need to really dig into their ratings as certain helmets are mainly designed for protection from concussions and secondary fragments from IEDs etc. so Type IIIA may mean something different depending upon manufacturer.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
burninglegs

Thanks Rev. Is this the particular video you were thinking of?

Old 06-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
John A.
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 178172

I have a surplus GI Kevlar helmet. While heavy and bulky, they're not as heavy as old steel pots.

Won't stop rifles, but does offer some intermediate protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUtpqSsBKnQ
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Yup that's the one BL
Old 06-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

If you really think you need to protect your head from shrapnel and bullets and stuff like thrown bottles and rocks then don't go cheap or used.

http://www.mcguirearmynavy.com/US-Mi...age-Green.html

Last edited by VALMET_M76; 06-09-2018 at 06:13 PM.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:06 AM   #7
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

I've looked into this from a prepper's perspective and this is one of those areas where things that make sense for a military or maybe SWAT (who wear their shit for the time it takes to kick the door down and serve the warrant) dont necessarily make sense for a civilian prepper.

Militaries have to deal with IEDs, mortars etc.They also have an insurance underwriter that influences policy. Shrapnel is still the number one casualty vector as far as I know. I personally ditched my MICH and side plates, decided that being able to fight better was more important than debateably useful protection and said I would take my chances.

Those are my two cents, if theres a counter argument or scenario that I didnt consider let me know.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:22 AM   #8
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
I've looked into this from a prepper's perspective and this is one of those areas where things that make sense for a military or maybe SWAT (who wear their shit for the time it takes to kick the door down and serve the warrant) dont necessarily make sense for a civilian prepper.

Militaries have to deal with IEDs, mortars etc.They also have an insurance underwriter that influences policy. Shrapnel is still the number one casualty vector as far as I know. I personally ditched my MICH and side plates, decided that being able to fight better was more important than debateably useful protection and said I would take my chances.

Those are my two cents, if theres a counter argument or scenario that I didnt consider let me know.
Argument would be that in a potential SHTF scenario, any kind of injury you or your buddies couldn't deal with in the field could be life threatening. TBI or any injury to the head would be on that list. So protecting your head/brain would be important at a time you wouldn't be able to depend on or use advanced modern medicine.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:23 AM   #9
Killface45
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181879

Quote:

For me the helmet isn't so much for possibly stopping a round as much as keeping me from bashing my head on stuff that's most likely going to be harder than my head.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:20 AM   #10
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface45 View Post
For me the helmet isn't so much for possibly stopping a round as much as keeping me from bashing my head on stuff that's most likely going to be harder than my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Argument would be that in a potential SHTF scenario, any kind of injury you or your buddies couldn't deal with in the field could be life threatening. TBI or any injury to the head would be on that list. So protecting your head/brain would be important at a time you wouldn't be able to depend on or use advanced modern medicine.
Bump helmets are far better options for that.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #11
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Exactly or rock climbing helmets.

The next Miss America will be David Hogg- Owen Benjamin.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
burninglegs

Quote:
Bump helmet won't protect you from injuries a ballistic helmet would protect you from.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
Killface45
Veteran Member

Quote:
I agree on that. Overall I was meaning a helmet in general. If you don't want an armor rating then go with what you said but I'd at least want something.

And shooting with NVGs is cool as fuck.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #14
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Bump helmet won't protect you from injuries a ballistic helmet would protect you from.
Thats self evident. As I said, I dont expect mortars and IEDs to be primary threat
Old 06-11-2018, 01:49 AM   #15
burninglegs

Quote:
Thats self evident. As I said, I dont expect mortars and IEDs to be primary threat
Prepare for the unexpected.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #16
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Prepare for the unexpected.
I said as much twice in this thread already. That said, where's the limit? Groin, shoulder and thigh kevlar? Maybe a full hazmat suit to go with my gas mask just in case we get some Sarin false flags? Ballistic riot shield?

Just because I own it doesnt mean Im actually prepared in any meaningful way. You need to actually have it with you for it to be useful. Even assuming I have enough notice to get all my shit together, *would* I bother with putting that helmet on? In my case, hell no. Ill take my chances
Old 06-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #17
Cypheros
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171345

Quote:
I said as much twice in this thread already. That said, where's the limit? Groin, shoulder and thigh kevlar? Maybe a full hazmat suit to go with my gas mask just in case we get some Sarin false flags? Ballistic riot shield?

Just because I own it doesnt mean Im actually prepared in any meaningful way. You need to actually have it with you for it to be useful. Even assuming I have enough notice to get all my shit together, *would* I bother with putting that helmet on? In my case, hell no. Ill take my chances
Options. That’s what gear & training gives you.
You can always think of situations where you have no chance, or where a piece of gear or training won’t help. The purpose of gear (hazmat suit, helmet, etc) & training is to give you more options in situations where you do have a chance.
Did anybody teach you better?
To obey and follow to the letter
I fear, my dear, the end is here
So run, run, run, run, run like a son of a gun
Cypheros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #18
Orpheus
Veteran Member

We're just going to be talking in circles about generalities and these perparedness idioms. I dont even disagree with what you said, but that cant be followed slavishly by spending ever increasing sums of money on ever more dubious junk. Why not get bullet proof windows and line your doors with kevlar? Why dont I just waste thousands of dollars trying to figure out how to jam whatever frequencies might be being used by potential adversaries?
Financial resources are finite and you can only carry so much shit on you. I'd rather spend that money on a medical course or almost anything else that is far more likely to actually be useful.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #19
burninglegs

Guys this thread isn't about whether a ballistic helmet is useful to have or a waste. You can start that thread topic in another thread. I started this thread as I was seeking recommendations and advice from members that are more knowledgable about ballistic helmets and what features/specs/companies I should look into.

Ballistic helmets are useful. If you don't see that, start your own thread. Stop taking this one off topic.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #20
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

Also , safety glasses/eye-protection goes hand-n-hand with a helmet .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #21
Vepr7.62x54

AKaholic #: 185728

To determine what type of helmet to get, you need to analyze the likeliest types of hazards you'll face and the level of harm associated with those hazards. The analysis will leave you a choice between something akin to a hockey helmet on one hand and a tactical ballistic helmet on the other.

The most catastrophic hazards would come from bullets or shrapnel, but those are also the least likely types of hazards most of us might ever face. The likeliest hazards would come from bumping your head or sustaining some sort of blunt impact, but the level of harm associated with those hazards is lower than the harm from bullet or shrapnel impacts.

You need to decide if you want to protect your head from those lower-level hazards that you are likeliest to encounter, saving some weight and being more comfortable, or if you want to protect your head against those higher-level hazards that you are least likely to encounter, increasing the weight on your head and being less comfortable. I can tell you from experience that the former is probably the better approach than the latter for the vast majority of people.

If you envision wearing a helmet while you are moving around in some post-apocalyptic scenario, you will need to avoid burning excess calories holding up a heavy k-pot or steel-pot, and you will also want to avoid sweating out more water than necessary as your head bakes inside of one of those. Unless you are engaging in a movement to contact or a deliberate assault, a ballistic helmet is overkill.

Even if you need a helmet in case of some violent civil disturbance near your home, the ballistic helmet would probably be overkill. Rioters and looters won't be tossing grenades through your windows, and if they force their way through the door and start shooting at you in your home, the ballistic helmet won't stop most rounds. Shrapnel is the most severe hazard that those helmets consistently protect against. Again, you have to look at the likelihood of the hazard and not just its severity. The likeliest threats during a violent civil disturbance would be from thrown heavy objects, Molotov cocktails, blunt weapons and the bare hands of mobs. No kind of helmet, ballistic or otherwise, will be of great use against the few firearms that might be used, but a lighter hockey helmet would be very effective against those thrown objects and blunt weapons that would be likeliest to be encountered.

The bottom line is that unless you are equipping yourself to engage in deliberate kinetic operations after TEOTWAWKI, a ballistic helmet, being heavier and hotter than lighter helmets, and which protects against hazards that you would most likely not encounter, will have disadvantages that outweigh its advantages in most situations.

A hockey helmet is the best place to start looking. It'll protect your noggin from most of what you'll face, and it will be a lot more comfortable.

Lastly, comfort plays a big role in how much you actually use protective equipment if you don't have someone in charge forcing you to wear it. You might think you have enough discipline to throw on a heavy ballistic helmet during bad times, but the real test of discipline would be to keep doing it for a protracted period of time when you are hungry and tired. If you have a lighter non-ballistic helmet, you will be likelier to put it on, in the first place, and to keep it on as long as it is really needed.

Your intended uses will dictate your choice. Make sure you really think it through so you don't waste money on something you don't really need.
Vepr7.62x54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:38 AM   #22
OPFOR#1

AKaholic #: 181586

I say what's the point and even thinking about this helmet all the way from blunt force trauma to ballistic protection it's a go in my gear.
OPFOR#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #23
Richardmofo
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165722

Stahlhelm

That way you will look cool as shit as your kicking in doors or whatever it is you are doing.

Richardmofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:53 AM   #24
Zmac

AKaholic #: 162918

MSA ACH is a solid option. Can be had for around $100 on eBay aswell.
Zmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #25
ThunderGod
Have Hammer, Will Smite
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

Riot helmet with a visor and neck protecting flaps would be your best SHTF bet. If you're gonna wear a helmet.

If you just want a ballistic one for the giggles, MICH uses pads for suspension and is better than PAGST, which uses K-pot suspension.

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.

Last edited by ThunderGod; 06-22-2018 at 07:23 PM.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #26
bjonesgtaw

AKaholic #: 157802

I have a converted cvc, it's a nice helmet for under 100 bucks. Don't bother with anything under 3a unless you want a bump helmet. In that case I would get a protec bravo. My next helmet is going to probably be a cpg https://cpgarmor.com/

Sometimes they have sales and you can get the helmet for $250 with the rails and nv mounts. Great buy for the money.
bjonesgtaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #27
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

PASGT's are cheap but heavier than the newer ACH helmets.

I have a PASGT for using my night vision hands free. Its only downside is it needs a better suspension / pad system that can be had cheap. I think I picked mine up for $60'ish

I would rather have the PASGT on my melon than a bicycle helmet taking a hit or fragments coming at me. YMMV
Old 06-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #28
Commiblockakspecialist
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168068

I always think outside the box:

A good motorcycle helmet is all you need!
Face shield ( tinted for low profile), kevlar shell.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #29
Killface45
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commiblockakspecialist View Post
I always think outside the box:

A good motorcycle helmet is all you need!
Face shield ( tinted for low profile), kevlar shell.
Have you tried to shoulder a rifle with a motorcycle helmet on?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal50 View Post

I have a PASGT for using my night vision hands free. Its only downside is it needs a better suspension / pad system that can be had cheap. I think I picked mine up for $60'ish

I would rather have the PASGT on my melon than a bicycle helmet taking a hit or fragments coming at me. YMMV

KOTA Outfitters has the PASGT III-A on sale for $177. Not a bad price at all. Not exactly the helmet type I am looking for, but thought I would include this deal in case others have been looking for a PASGT III-A helmet.

https://www.kotaoutfitters.com/produ...llistic-helmet
Old 07-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #31

AKaholic #: 1476

Personal recommendations:

For Non-Ballistic Bump Helmet- Team Wendy Exfil

For Ballistic Protection- MSA TC-2002
Old 07-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #32
starbuc3

AKaholic #: 180040

Plenty of options out there. I have been using a high cut, railed helmet and it is (in my opinion) much better than anything else I've used. It weighs less than an ACH, harness is much more comfortable, same ballistic protection rating, and allows me to run NODS or lights, or comms headset. I can run comms, and NODS (with counterweight) for a couple hours and not be miserable.

If your goal is to cover your dome with ballistic protection high cut is something to seriously consider. I will never go back.

If you are keen on the forums you can get a good high cut railed helmet for $400 or less.

Good luck on your search
starbuc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #33
RG Coburn
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7184

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal50 View Post

Problem I found with the old PASGT helmets were they don't seem to transition well over into pad systems. A "Large" PASGT might fit well with the old suspension system,but be way too small with the standard 3/4 inch pads.
I do have a couple three of the British Mk6 helmets,transitioned one to the skydex pad system,and it fits very nice. I'm not sure what a Mk 6 will stop,but it's better that a doughboy helmet,or an M1 steel pot.
I read something once where a Russian soldier went as far as forcing 2 of the M 40 helmets together,to give him additional protection... he still died..
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote