Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
rufusneckbone

AKaholic #: 195432
Default Feedback for two Russian optics

I am in the process of adding an optic to my SLR107fr and occasionally using it on my aes10b. I am looking at either a Kobra or a PK01VS. Both being in stock at Kalinka right now. Anyone have experience with either or both? What did you like or dislike? I am more concerned with durability and keeping it as low over bore axis as possible than cosmetics. Any help is greatly appreciated.
rufusneckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

I would go with the VS but nothing wrong with the cool factor of the Kobra. I have both (and a few others, see my reviews here: http://russianoptics.net/reddot.html)

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD.../Z-RedDots.JPG

Kobra is not an issued Army optic and does not have a GRAU number but it has been in use by various personnel and units for a long time, it's one of the first dot type optics the Russians began using. Kobra has seen combat in both Chechen wars and is well regarded in Russia. It's also been spotted in the recent Ukraine conflict

VS is not in service in the Russian army and with the introduction of Rakurs, Obzor, Kashtan and 1P87 I doubt it will be. BelOMO still continues to court other nationalities though and PK01-VS has been spotted in Libya on the AK103. It's possibly in military service somewhere ut I haven't heard anything firm yet.

Kobra has 4 reticule patterns and has a built in mechanism for the 400m zero depending on which reticule option is selected. They are lighter than PK01-VS but have a worse battery life. They are also not as tough as VS and the reticule can be blocked by rain or debris due to the location of the emitter. The higher head position of Kobra helps with shooting in dynamic situations

There are two main versions of Kobra. The one on the left has an airsoft Chinese copy out there so pay attention to what you are buying. My Kobra page has a series of photos showing the differences. It's not a big deal to figure out if it's legit so don't worry about getting taken. If it's coming from Kalinka it won't be a fake
http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD...S_03M_Left.JPG

In my testing the VS had the best battery life of any combloc style red dot - ever. 1700+ hours on maximum brightness. This is Aimpoint battery life territory on lower settings. Unfortunately I don't have 50,000 hours to test and see but based on battery consumption at high power it's a reasonable estimate

VS is super low and will cowitness. It's built like a tank and has solid controls for windage and elevation. Some people complain of a spongy feeling brightness control on some of them. All the ones I've handled feel pretty solid

VS these days is my go to red dot. It's modern, well built and has impressive battery life. As I said nothing wrong with Kobra but you have a 10 year difference in technology which IMO favors the VS. Both are great and FWIW if I had to go to war I would take either

http://RussianOptics.net

Last edited by nalioth; 03-11-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Fixed huge image(s)
TX-Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
esh21167
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170974

Never used a Kobra, but as mentioned above, the PK-01 VS is very low profile and will co-witness. The PKA Venezuela is similar, but heavier. However the battery life is something like 3000 or 4000 hours. May be worth a look.
esh21167 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
videodon

AKaholic #: 164570

I've owned a Kobra for several years.
It's still good to go. (and I like it)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
rufusneckbone

Thanks guys. Very informative and I apprecite the feedback. The impression I get is that any of them are good to go. I will probably get the PK to start and eventually get a Kobra as well. Kalinka isn't far from me so hopefully I will get it soon and can post some pics here. Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
maxxmojo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 154628

I ran, and was happy with, the Kobra for a number of years. Once the currently available optics mounting solutions arrived on the scene I scooped up an Aimpoint PRO instead.

I really liked the triangle reticle on the Kobra. I used a 300/400m zero for it, then I could switch to the dot for more precise aiming.

While I really like the Kobra, between the two I'd probably go for the VS. Mostly for the reasons Zen noted above.
Clinton and his Assault Weapons Ban where in the news. I asked him if he thought there could be an armed struggle in the US. His words still hold true today, "Men with beer bellies don't make Revolutions".
maxxmojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
rufusneckbone

I gotta ask, TX-Zen, since obviously you have experience with the Obzor, is the height on it not a real hindrance to getting a good cheek weld on a standard AK stock?
Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

People say the chin weld on the AK sucks and the optics are too tall. They've been saying that for as long as I've been shooting AKs and collecting optics and probably further back than that

It's all a matter of getting used to it. It's about round count and training behind Russian optics. Obzor is my go to collimator out of my entire collection, and I use it way more than PK01VS. I put a lot of rounds down range with Obzor... I love it and have a ton of fun even at 500m

In my experience I can't see a difference between chin weld and cheek weld for military style shooting out to 500m. The higher head position is better for moving and shooting. It's great for both eyes open shooting. They are designed for that, it's not a coincidence by NPZ, or because they don't know how to design optics for combat rifles

I don't recommend Obzor to people new to Russian optics or new to AKs. It takes time to get used to for sure. But after all these years my conclusion is pretty simple...all it takes is time. It does work and once you are used to the chin weld of the AK you really understand that their optics work quite well

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183128

^
Agree, on a non magnified optics, cheek weld is not essential or not even preferred.
Obzor is one outstanding combat sight. Worth every penny and then some imo.
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
rufusneckbone

I follow you guys on the situational awareness benefits of a more heads up method involved with most Russian optics. It's logical and sound. Having never had a chance to handle the Obzor it just looked, at least superficially, extremely high to me. I would love to try one out first because they aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but given that they are so rare to come across in the wild, I have to rely on the educated opinions of guys here, and some intermittent youtube reviews.

One other question about the Obzor in particular. Have you purchased one fairly recently? If so, what was the manufacturing date? With tritium having a shelf life, I would also be somewhat concerned about getting one of fairly recent manufacture.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #11
BorisBadenov

AKaholic #: 180489

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Zen View Post
People say the chin weld on the AK sucks and the optics are too tall. They've been saying that for as long as I've been shooting AKs and collecting optics and probably further back than that

It's all a matter of getting used to it. It's about round count and training behind Russian optics. Obzor is my go to collimator out of my entire collection, and I use it way more than PK01VS. I put a lot of rounds down range with Obzor... I love it and have a ton of fun even at 500m

In my experience I can't see a difference between chin weld and cheek weld for military style shooting out to 500m. The higher head position is better for moving and shooting. It's great for both eyes open shooting. They are designed for that, it's not a coincidence by NPZ, or because they don't know how to design optics for combat rifles

I don't recommend Obzor to people new to Russian optics or new to AKs. It takes time to get used to for sure. But after all these years my conclusion is pretty simple...all it takes is time. It does work and once you are used to the chin weld of the AK you really understand that their optics work quite well
This, 100% x 10! I love my Obzor and the chin weld. However, I will disagree about newbies to AKs and Russian optics having a difficult time with a chin weld. From personal experience, I think it's rather easy to do a chin a weld. Less distance to raise the rifle, so quicker acquisition. I also love the fact that you use both eyes open and field of view is larger. Also makes it easier with my astigmatism and glasses. Obzor is ugly as sin, but it's my favorite.
BorisBadenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 PM   #12
BorisBadenov

AKaholic #: 180489

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusneckbone View Post
One other question about the Obzor in particular. Have you purchased one fairly recently? If so, what was the manufacturing date? With tritium having a shelf life, I would also be somewhat concerned about getting one of fairly recent manufacture.
The half-life is 10-12 years. And the tritium can be replaced. But really it is only needed for night shooting. Even indoors with dim ambient / non-direct light, it's enough to power the Obzor's reticle. It's quite an amazing little scope. (Very light weight too.) I purchased mine about 2 years ago. No idea of manufacture date, but I am not worried about the tritium.
BorisBadenov is offline   Reply With Quote