Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SKSs, SVTs and other orphans

Notices

Old 03-17-2018, 04:33 AM   #1
Bazooka-Joe

AKaholic #: 185107
Default Where Can I buy Receivers For Norinco SKS

I bought a Norinco Paratrooper SKS 7.62x39mm with a stamped receiver and a threaded screw together barrel, It had a plastic or polymer folding stock and I replaced it with a nice wooden one, put the old stock in a corner and kind of just forgot about it a bit

Then I started buying one or two spare parts for my Norinco SKS, Mostly all new and original parts and more parts and was having fun and getting up to 8 packages a day of SKS replacement spare parts, most all of it fits in a gallon size baggie.

So now I'm at the part where I figure I need a nice spare barrel for it , Then a nice original trigger assembly ( ! am still waiting on that ) , So then I buy a nice original heavy made receiver cover because I mainly plan to you iron sights on it..

Now I have all this and I need to find out where and an idea how much they sell for just for basically a plain receiver, if I can get them and if they aren't too pricy and if I can use either milled or stamped I would like to buy one of each, it was only supposed to be a few spare parts but it's pretty much another gun without out the receiver,

I'm having fun building it and I'm new to SKS's altogether and have never built a rifle before, after I figure the total cost for essentially everything new that has wear except a trigger assembly in nice condition and a pretty nice barrel...

Now I essentially need the pretty much bare receivers Only and I want them in decent condition..

Thanks Guys.

Last edited by Bazooka-Joe; 03-17-2018 at 04:40 AM. Reason: the correction would make the post more coherrant sounding... I will try to do better
Bazooka-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

An SKS receiver is rarely found. An SKS trigger group is often $100+.

Generally the sum of the parts exceeds the purchase of a complete SKS firearm.
But if is about the journey then the $500-$600 build is just part of the adventure.
Dunno where you might find an SKS receiver but Gunbroker is a starting point.

Apex parts, Copes, Numrich etc., may have barrels and other misc parts but no receivers.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
NorincoKid
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 9567

SKS is kinda weird with headspace if I remember correctly, it has something to do with the little cross lug in the receiver. Not sure if mix-mastering parts will work out OK for you, and I'm not sure I'd want to be grinding on the cross bar to bubba it into submission if it winds up on the "tight" side, or welding on it to add material if its "loose".

I've seen barreled receivers on gunbroker quite often.

The stamped receivers are uber uncommon IIRC.
NorincoKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Stoned_Oli
King of S'Marm
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 157099

A stamped receiver para would be a rare bird indeed. I think we need pix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Learned Hand
I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts... Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
...If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

A sheetmetal receiver SKS will/should have a pinned barrel. The OP may have a stamped trigger guard assembly and a milled receiver and threaded barrel para etc.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
Bazooka-Joe

Thanks Very Much Guys,

AKBLUE, it's about the journey, I like old stuff ( I have even had the same wife for 40 years fresh out of high school ) , I like to work with my hands, I used to work in Engineering as a Maintenance Mech II , a Boiler Operator for awhile and Locksmith also, I have another journey that I am on restoring a old 63 Rambler Classic 660 very much like my first car...
It's the hands on experience that I'm liking..
I will watch Gunbroker and there is a gunshop very close to me, it looks like if I'm in a hurry to get one I can forget that, one thing about it is most everyone that has a receiver is selling it along with a barrel And they require that you have a FFL SO I have to go through someone with a FFL like the local gun shop..

NorincoKid, I'm listening to you, if it won't work I won't force it unless I can and it won't compromise the safety of the gun, other than that the worst that could happen is I end up with an extra barrel and a bunch of spare parts and not buy anymore extra parts for a while !

The knowledge you all possess as one Big FN Group Has to Be Unmatched In This "hobby" , I'm very lucky this site exists and I'm really impressed with how freely you offer your help...

I have collected old coins for a long time and could sell off some of those and buy a few more nice guns, I just haven't felt like listing anything and for the most part they hold their value well..... Coins have so many different little nuances that affect value and rarity and I'm thinking it's the same way with some rifles, one of these years I might try to buy some really upper end guns but no more than five grand because I'm cheap..

I hope some of that was at least somewhat coherent because I'm tired.. later guys.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

I understad the working with the hands and building. And being a bargaim hunter too.

You might consider building an AK. Not as cheap as it used to be but more options than the SKS. I own sevetal SKS rifles but built a number of AK's.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:40 AM   #8
Bazooka-Joe

Default AKBlue, I will keep that in mindas maybe the next project

And as far as a bargain you bet ! LOL..

I found where I could get a receiver but I will have to buy a barreled one and I did, I might not end up with a Paratrooper but just a regular old SKS would be fine, about a year ago I got a bargain on a Norinco Mak 90 all Bubba'd up, put a wood stock back on it, added a dogleg 2 generation 2 rail, a peep sight and that's about it for that..

Then I ended up buying a SKS with a folding polymer stock and I put the wood back on it, a bayonet and a pouch that holds loaded stripper clips and it's pretty much done but I want to put a peep sight on it also..

Then this last one started out as only a few spare parts until it only needs a few spare parts now, and if it doesn't all go together as it should then I'll get it right or I will leave it be and part it out as I might need a spare part which I probably never will ... and then maybe a AK-47, I like the Norinco made AK-47 and SKS rifles, they may not be the best but they seem pretty decent to me..

Today more parts should be in the mail and when my receiver gets here I'll start hammering it all together ! Just Kidding, I'll use duct tape...LOL.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #9
tower06

AKaholic #: 164215

Sarco had Chinese barreled receivers last I looked.
tower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #10
10acresandrocks
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185701

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower06 View Post
Sarco had Chinese barreled receivers last I looked.
And thanks for that link!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
tower06

AKaholic #: 164215

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10acresandrocks View Post
And thanks for that link!
Sorry was trying to get daughter to daycare...didnt have it.. here ya go.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/original-c...receivers.aspx
tower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
meausoc

AKaholic #: 160835

I have two sks barrels that I would sale. One is a Chinese pinned and the other is a Russian screw in that is mint. They both have receiver Stubbs on them.
meausoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:54 AM   #13
euphrates
Red List All Star

AKaholic #: 177426

this thread is worthless without pics
euphrates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #14
Boris Badinov

AKaholic #: 191152

Each fatory produced sks barreled-receiver was a mated pair. Every Chinese screw-in barrel lug is left-side stamped with an index number (0-35) and then mated to a receiver with a matching index number (0-35). Numbers 0-35 representing 10degree increments over 360 degrees of rotation. Like this:

34:
20160809 090455

22:

You won't be able to just screw in any replacement barrel-blank and expect it to seat precisely on the first go. Machining work will need to be done to get the index and seating correct. Not to mention precisely placing and then machining the extractor recess on the breech face.

If you've never built a rifle before, it will be far easier (and less costly) to start with a barreled-receiver.

Last edited by Boris Badinov; 03-26-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Boris Badinov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:07 AM   #15
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

There was an importer that had a bunch of very rough Yugo SKS's.

He decided to sell what parts that weren't too beat up and destroy the receivers, as the condition wasn't worth doing the paperwork to sell them as firearms.

There were quit a few Chinese press fit SKS barrels imported that had never been in a rifle.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #16
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned_Oli View Post
A stamped receiver para would be a rare bird indeed. I think we need pix.
When they were imported nobody wanted them.

I got one 30 years ago that came in a jungle stock.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:27 AM   #17
Bazooka-Joe

Tower06 , Thanks very much, I had already ordered one from them and it should be here soon, they were the only place that I found with them and they have to be bought as Barreled Receivers which is fine but I wished that I had know that Before already buying another barrel previously, but now I know.... and a spare barrel is a good thing I guess LOL.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:31 AM   #18
Bazooka-Joe

Thanks but I had already bought a barrel, I was just looking to buy the receiver but that doesn't seem to be easy to find and there might be a very good reason for that but what it is I don't know.

You aren't that far from where I'm located, practically neighbors even.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:38 AM   #19
Bazooka-Joe

Boris Badinov, Thanks, That's pretty interesting and good to know, I appreciate the time you took to get the images, and now I won't be looking at the numbers saying to myself What the hell are these numbers for...
Old 03-30-2018, 05:47 AM   #20
Bazooka-Joe

Allesennogwat,, That makes sense regarding the paperwork, I guess they have been keeping records of that for many years ? And who would even get the records ? The ATF ?
Old 03-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #21
Bazooka-Joe

Got just about every single piece to build a Chinese SKS ordered except the gas tube and hand guard and a hold open latch pin and the Small Spring Guide, I have a guide ordered but it just said SKS spring guide and the seller hasn't responded to question if it's a large or the small spring guide, So my parts ( a bunch of them ) are on the way and I will tally up everything when I'm done and try to see how many new parts were used.. Then when I get a chance to try it out I'll see how it does , I Might have to get a different stock than the spare after market folding stock that I ended up with because the screw hole to attach the trigger assembly don't line up like the gun that I took it off of, not sure what type of stock I might use yet.... and I'll look for the gas tube and hand guard on AK 47 Files..
Old 04-02-2018, 02:21 AM   #22
mike88
Lord of the Manor

AKaholic #: 170852

Could always use that barrel to build a bolt action, , or adapt it to a lever gun. Sounds like fun. I am rebuilding a 77 VW engine right now, good to keep the hands occupied. Stocks can sometimes be found in a barrel at old time Gun Stores. Found a nice Yugo SKS Elmwood for 25.00 cash in Portland. Of Course, gunbroker, or the marketplace on here. Good luck in the build, my Chinese 66 arsenal is the best one I have ever owned, accuracy and condition wise. it was a pawnshop score, someone had it in a closet the last 30 years, it was barely fired, bolt face was pristine. Very accurate , I was amazed at the sight in. Fits me well with the folding stock, a hard plastic good quality. Spiker bayo, put a Chinese 20 rd. star fixed mag on her. Nice weapon!!
Old 04-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #23
Bazooka-Joe

Got my milled barreled Norinco today, I have $101.00 in that counting the shipping and another $15.00 to a FFL holder, I Wasn't expecting new but if it was a old car it would be a real basket-case as far as condition, and looking at it makes my butthole hurt

I was kind of hoping it that I could start putting some of it together since I have almost every single thing that I need on order or in hand but that's not happening until a lot of rusty crusty crap is removed, so here it sits and here I sit and both of us are rusty as hell. I tried to look into the bore of the barrel with a bright light and I can see some rifling but mostly it's pitch black in there.

I bought some "Rem Oil" and was told to spray that on the entire thing and wrap it in rags for at least a few days, and then use a very fine steel wool to Gently try to remove the rust, so nothing really will get done for a week or more probably.. I was told that if I couldn't get the rust off very good that I could have it media blasted and then Dura coated and I am hoping not to have to go that route..

Now I Do have a Very nice threaded spare barrel that I bought Before I realized that you can't find just the Norinco receiver alone ( at least I couldn't ) , I really would like to use the spare barrel and I know that they come as a matched item ( barrel to receiver ), So what do you think ? Try the other barrel and if doesn't line up can I have it shimmed ever so slightly to line up or will that screw up how shell is positioned if it's a very minor adjustment ? If nothing else I could take the sights etc. off of the nicer barrel but even after the old barrel is cleaned up it will still be pitted on the outside and no telling how bad on the inside until I clean the inside later..

So Try the nice barrel or use Rusty Crusty Original one ??

The serial number W3870 , So is this a "Ghost Guns, S/N ~2000 to ~213,700.
Early 1957" ??? Is that important, cool, or no big deal ?

I did locate ONE Norinco gas tube and handgauard with it, that was $105.. plus shipping but it's what I wanted instead of the aftermarket ones.. I'll try to get some images later plus a idea of what the project ended up costing me, probably $200.00 more when you include the shipping but it's a project and I didn't just want to buy another SKS outright this time.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #24
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Timing (clocking) and Headspacing a threaded barrel is not plug n play as opposed to the later press & pin barrels in late production SKS and then in AK pattern firearms.
There are methods for barrel swapping that include shimming, or trimming the receiver face and adjust bolt to chamber clearance.
It ain't easy on any threaded barrel and that is why that process was abandoned in many firearm assembly processes. But it can be done.

The extractor cut and barrel component and gas port are all timed/clocked and headspace
is part of the positioning of the barrel.
You have a journey in front of you. Can be done. An original barreled receiver relieves the clocking spec issue but headspace is the next tolerance.
I have not done an SKS but familiar with Galil and milled AK.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #25
Boris Badinov

AKaholic #: 191152

Does the threaded chinese barrel have an index number (0-35) on the left side lug?
Boris Badinov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:24 AM   #26
Bazooka-Joe

Boris, it has a # 18 on the barrel and the receiver.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:40 AM   #27
Bazooka-Joe

AKBLUE, Thank You, I kind of figure it wouldn't be easy but I don't like to assume much of anything so if not sure I will almost always ask, I appreciate the help, I think I will take everything that looks real good off of the nice barrel,

Then clean up the barrel the best that I can while still keeping the finish as original as I can as, see how it looks, if I hate the look of it I'll go from there, either way I need to get rid of the rust and try to preserve the metal as best as I can, not much of the barrel is going to be visible anyway and it's a old rifle and it was used and I can always claim it has "character" if it looks awful and when I do find another barreled receiver I can take it all apart and switch it over to the nicer barreled receiver, I think it'll be okay, I have a complete bluing kit that has been put up for a couple of years so I guess I'll be seeing how I do with that also, that's something that I've wanted to try anyway...
Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 AM   #28
Bazooka-Joe

Mike it all sounds good and like you are having a good time with it, I have a old 1963 Rambler Classic 660 that I have been working on for years, most of the mechanical stuff is functional but the engine has blow-by, and I have to see what is going on with the z-bar having slop in it causing it not to shift properly, I Will get it figured out and maybe pep it up just a little bit, it has the torque tube instead of a regular driveshaft and it's not a hot rod.. it's like my first car only this one is a 195.6 CU In and a 4 door instead of 2, it's been in my barn for 10 years and hasn't seen rain in 15 so it's only rust is mainly the front floor pans.

Got some things I need to get paid down but have some things that I have collected over the years and will sell those to pay for something I'm currently interested in...

Good luck with the VW ... I never could find the radiator in the VW Beetles... ;-)
Old 04-03-2018, 02:18 AM   #29
Bazooka-Joe

AKBLUE, How did your Galil and milled AK turn out, pretty well ? Mainly how well did they shoot ? If it looks great but shoots like crap then you just have a nice looking piece of crap, right ? LOL.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:00 AM   #30
Bazooka-Joe

I'm thinking that I made a mistake doing this but I have gone too far to turn back now, for what I have in this I could have bought a nice AK, I wanted to do it for the fun of doing it but buying a nice AK already to go would have more fun but I learn from my mistakes and will pick up some knowledge along the way - that's what I' going to keep telling myself, what I have invested is a fair amount higher than if I just did it cheaply.. and the barrel won't look new but it's all good, right ? yeah, it is...
Old 04-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #31
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

I think it sounds like a very fun project if you’ve got the time and money!
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #32
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

As I noted earlier if you would like to build your own firearm., consider an AK build ( more tool intense) or an AR assembly (easier and less tooling).
Many more options and guidance and parts and less assembly issues relating to the barrel install and cloc king and hrafs paving than on a threaded barrel SKS.
Good luck with the SKS journey.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #33
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka-Joe View Post
AKBLUE, How did your Galil and milled AK turn out, pretty well ? Mainly how well did they shoot ? If it looks great but shoots like crap then you just have a nice looking piece of crap, right ? LOL.
They shoot fine. The barrel install has nothing to do with "looks". It has to do with timing/clocking and headspacing the barrel correctly.
If these are done correctly it ill shoot as well as the bore condition and skills of the shooter allow.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:05 AM   #34
Bazooka-Joe

Back for a few minutes and a update on the SKS build... I have not given up on the project, just been busy trying to get the farm up for sale and I've been tired a bit...

I'm a bit hardheaded, stubborn and one track mind sometimes but even with that and a hammer, a propane torch and a big ass vise I couldn't get the old rusted front sight off, there comes a time you have to realize what you are doing isn't working so I did and I ordered a heavy duty sight removal tool and it was worth every cent and if I never use it again I can resell it and get most of my investment back.

So now all of the hardware is removed from the barrel and it has some pitting unfortunately as far as looks go, I bought a nice wooden stock off of eBay only to find out that it was cracked but not disclosed in the auction, sent it back, ordered another stock, I like it but it has a old partial crack that looks like it was sealed with a coat of varnish or shellac and I went ahead and kept it and inside of the rubber ended butt stock was a surprise cleaning kit.
I don't usually bid on a wait and win auction and play bidding war with someone instead I find what I like and Buy It Now and expect any major issues to be included in the auction's description but that doesn't always work out..

I made the stock and receiver and barrel fit, it was a pinned barrel stock and I have a screwed in barrel, it fits now, it took some filing, slow but not real complicated, you file and it either fits or it doesn't and you file some more.

The receiver according to the serial number is from the late fifties if I read it right, it has some pitting on the outside part but not visible with the stock on, finding a receiver was a pain in the ass, and I only found one place that had them and no image of the exact one you get is available so that's how I ended up with a rusty hunk of milled metal..

I want to / need to strip the old bluing off and try to re-blue it, if that doesn't work I'll try it again and if it still doesn't look okay I might have it Dura-coated or something, I don't really want to half ass it but I've even considered Flat Black High Temp Car & Truck Engine paint, oh yeah, I did buy a inexpensive media blaster for prepping the metal, it will have to be done carefully so that I don't remove too much of the metal, I have some spare hardware that looks good off of another barrel to put on the barreled receiver that I will use in the build.

So I am making progress, I wanted a media blaster anyway and for a few dollars I got a 4 year extended warranty... I clean rusty tools, rusty chairs, etc. , etc. Hey, and some of the rust on the Jeep .... I will try to get some pictures posted before long, I took the pictures with my phone and they are not transferring right so I have to email the pictures to myself..

I will still be busy getting my farm up for sale, I Love it there , nothing except large cattle ranches all around me and I'm 4 miles from town, and I can shoot my guns any and all of them without bothering a soul and as long as I'm careful not to shoot a cow I'm okay, I hate to sell the farm but my wife's health requires that we be closer to a major hospital that handle life threatening heart issues Quickly, then we'll buy another place hopefully not too close to everyone else, then sell our other home and pay the new home down , etc. With all of the BS going on in today's world the farm is a welcome Welcome get away home..

So I haven't given up just progressing slowly for now..
Old 05-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #35
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

I'm glad to hear you're making progress even if it's tempered by the loss of the farm. Hopefully your wife's health improves!
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote