Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Krinkovs

Notices

Old 03-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
travinh

AKaholic #: 179278
Default Stormwerkz Yugo M92/M85 Tapered Shim

Hello All,

Has anyone used the Stormwerkz Yugo M92/M85 Tapered Shim to correct the angle on the rear trunnion of the M92/M85 Pistols?

Do you like it? Any feedback about this shim would be much appreciated.

I currently am using Wildbill wedge kit. I would like to use Stormwerkz shim with my new M92, but I am a little hesitating.

Thanks,
Cal

Last edited by travinh; 03-03-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Add image.
travinh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

AKaholic #: 157162

No experience with it but im ordering this shim, their backing plate, and Universal Carbine adapter for my M92 when they get back from their vacation. They are currently gone until April 1st so it would be a month until the products ship if you order now
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Mike138

AKaholic #: 165227

I use the shim on my M92 with Stormwerkz hinge. Works as it should, removes the angle.
Mike138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170546

Have not used this shim, but have used WildBill's and a generic, and from looking at the stormwerkz it looks like the same angle, so here's my observation:

All of them, correct too much angle. It fucks up your cheekweld into a chinweld at best, causes you to lay your head over sideways some when using iron sights, and even when using a super low mounted micro-dot on a forward mount like the Manticore.

I think they are using about a 3-4 degree correction, I made my own plate with only about 1.5-2 degrees and it's perfect, there is still a slight downward tilt to the stock, just enough to still access the sights perfectly, but looks so much better than the full tilt you would have if using no adapter.

FYI: WildBill's backing plates are the shit, I never did like the idea of tapping the sheetmetal even though it's mostly thick enough, with his plate you can just drill straight through and the backing plate is properly sized and tapered for the curved inside of the yugo, super strong attachment, well worth the few bucks they cost.
((DB)) Deplorable Basterd brigade #47
Dragynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

The stormworks shim does not have the cutout in the center for the lug on the back of the ACE pignose adapter, does anyone know if wild bills shim does?

If so, the pignose adapter gives you lateral movement so you can adjust your stock / brace height accordingly to work fine with irons or low pro micro dots
Old 03-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
jdg
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 182818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
The stormworks shim does not have the cutout in the center for the lug on the back of the ACE pignose adapter, does anyone know if wild bills shim does?

If so, the pignose adapter gives you lateral movement so you can adjust your stock / brace height accordingly to work fine with irons or low pro micro dots
I thought you had a wild bills shim? You recommended one to me when I posted about my M92 a few months ago.
jdg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
It doesn't.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #8
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
I thought you had a wild bills shim? You recommended one to me when I posted about my M92 a few months ago.
I dont, thats what everyone on here uses and seems to love for the most part and what I was going to run with. Stormwerkz released theres not too long ago
Old 03-20-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragynn View Post
It doesn't.
ahh dammit........thanks

I suppose that oval "lug" on the back of the pignose could be dremeled flat so it lays against the shim correctly to torque down evenly with the screws
Old 03-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
wildbill
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 157475

Just because it's legal to copy my designs doesn't make it right.

Fuck Stormwerkz! Don't support theives.

Last edited by wildbill; 03-21-2018 at 03:49 PM.
wildbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post

While you're here and we are talking design...

Two issues (for me and only me, not talking about other folks preferences, just mine)

1. Too much angle adjustment, make it a tad thicker and make the angle about half of what you are currently doing.

2. Not quite long enough from top to bottom, my Manticore stock sticks up past it at top and bottom and leaves a weird looking gap. So I made my own, and let it extend to just past the top and bottom edge of the receiver and left a lip on both that just wraps over and completely eliminates any rotation issues.

Make another model and do it like that in steel and i'll buy two right now.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
infamousj

AKaholic #: 174024

I have both Stormwerks and the Wild Bill version...I prefer the Wild Bill for the pig nose adapter with the boss on it..This way there is contact preventing rotational torque other than on just the screws alone...However it is a moot point if youíre using a folding mechanism as it will be mounted to the receiver with no boss itself putting all the pressure to keep things in place back on just the two 10/32 machine screws again...

Bills is also made from steel in the raw, or blued where Stormwerks is aluminum with a black anodized/coating...Not a big deal either way other than if you have a blued/gray phosphated receiver a black wedge looks out of place a little if Iím being picky...

As far as Stormwerks stealing anything, unless thereís a patent involved, I canít imagine any end user being pissed for having more choices for their PAPs...Stormwerks is a great company that makes good shit...Wild Billís is also of great quality and Iím happy to own both of them...
infamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #13
GDubya

AKaholic #: 191529

The wedge that I got from wildbill last spring has the slot.

That's the problem of being a privateer who comes up with something new and cool: pursuing patent protection is time-consuming and can be expensive.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:38 AM   #14
Bolt2bounce
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 14269

Quote:

I second that notion.. he ripped off the whole ACE line...too.. but that is business as usual for the gun industry...I guess.. problem is a pat. is only as good as the lawyer you hire... Smith enterprises defended their products very well...even wining a suit against the US army and FN for ripping off the vortex muzzle device...on the 240B they paid up...
Bolt2bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
infamousj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt2bounce View Post
I second that notion.. he ripped off the whole ACE line...too.. but that is business as usual for the gun industry...I guess.. problem is a pat. is only as good as the lawyer you hire... Smith enterprises defended their products very well...even wining a suit against the US army and FN for ripping off the vortex muzzle device...on the 240B they paid up...
Ripped off? I own both Ace and Stormwerks folding mechanisms and theyíre really not identical copies of each other...Ace has a push button model that Stormwerks doesnít offer, the finishes are different, and the feel of them locking and unlocking are different on the non-push button models... Do you guys feel the same way about the 50 different pistol grip makers? Extended bolt handle makers? Magazine designs and makers? Iím not saying I wouldnít be kind of pissed if I made a part that was copied soon after, but big deal...You win business by making quality products, great pricing, excellent communication, great marketing campaigns, and great customer service...If all you have is a good product but you suck at all the rest, you deserve competition and buyers deserve options...If theres demand, hopefully someone will fill the supply for it-Who hates more choices? Dumbest shit Iíve ever heard
Old 03-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #16
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

diz could get gud
Old 03-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #17
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
diz could get gud
cripes...not again...

All I want is WildBill to read my post and make me a couple nice steel adapters, and with that i'm out of a thread showing signs of impending purse-swinging.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #18
GDubya

Infamousj,
Do you know anyone or ever yourself had the aspiration of marketing a product where reliance is often initially on outside-contracted batch production because you don't have the skills and/or equipment(s) yourself? Oh, and you still work your regular job and skimp to make production payments so you have something to sell. Along comes someone who owns even one or two CNCs, clones your item and your future burgeoning enterprise is fucked by economies of scale...

Even Brownells has been accused of contracting out cloning when they realize privateer innovative parts sell. Patent protection is the key and, if anybody ever finds themselves in this start-up situation, PM me because I have a good buddy that's successfully into specialty firearms parts that's a fn genius in experience and contacts on this subject.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #19
GDubya

Quote:
All I want is WildBill to read my post and make me a couple nice steel adapters, and with that i'm out of a thread showing signs of impending purse-swinging.
For those one-offs you'll be invoking signs of purse-emptying...
Old 03-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #20
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubya View Post
For those one-offs you'll be invoking signs of purse-emptying...
Won't be the first time, lol, but WildBill does good work and I like supporting the little guys who are the ones actually driving AK innovation forward.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #21
infamousj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubya View Post
Infamousj,
Do you know anyone or ever yourself had the aspiration of marketing a product where reliance is often initially on outside-contracted batch production because you don't have the skills and/or equipment(s) yourself? Oh, and you still work your regular job and skimp to make production payments so you have something to sell. Along comes someone who owns even one or two CNCs, clones your item and your future burgeoning enterprise is fucked by economies of scale...

Even Brownells has been accused of contracting out cloning when they realize privateer innovative parts sell. Patent protection is the key and, if anybody ever finds themselves in this start-up situation, PM me because I have a good buddy that's successfully into specialty firearms parts that's a fn genius in experience and contacts on this subject.
Yes I am very familiar with the difficulties of launching small-time innovation...If youíre truly serious about it, your product is in demand, and itís patentable, itís YOUR RISK to enter the market unprotected...Capitalism is a motherfucker...I contribute what I can personally by supporting small businesses with my own money to show support, but Iím not going to boycott an American competitor who didnít break laws, scam, or cheat, just because they entered in the same ring to offer competition...Iím guessing Stormwerks is a small time mom&pop outfit trying to survive too...Itís just business
Old 03-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #22
GDubya

Quote:
Won't be the first time, lol, but WildBill does good work and I like supporting the little guys who are the ones actually driving AK innovation forward.
Amen Brother! Ain't it cool when when non-"newer-and-better gun-mag-hyped" classic/historic icons persevere and expand. Kinda like 1911s and 870s, my other wallet-drainers...
Old 03-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #23
Bolt2bounce
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 14269

Quote:
Ripped off? I own both Ace and Stormwerks folding mechanisms and they’re really not identical copies of each other...Ace has a push button model that Stormwerks doesn’t offer, the finishes are different, and the feel of them locking and unlocking are different on the non-push button models..
Yes Ripped off...now (I'm) not saying this...personally; I'm saying what the owner and designer of ACE Rifle stocks said to my face when I asked him about doing business with Stormwerks.. He stated that fact... (and wild bill seems to feel the same way) he (ACELTD) has sold the business since.. but still holds some royalties...so he still looses money to thieves.. but just because it's not identical does not make it not a rip off.. but like I said...if you come up with a good design it will get ripped off...I've got a bunch of good design ideas but I have neither the money or equipment to produce them..and I'm not going.. produce a unprotected prototype ground breaking part to get ripped off..by people who asked (me) personally at shot show ; first thing out of their mouth was " is that ACE part Patent protected... kinda sours your innovation..and to say its just business ;maybe true but it ain't business I'm going to support with my money if I can help it..
Bolt2bounce is offline   Reply With Quote