Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Full Autos

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
DrNRA
Bar Jude

AKaholic #: 176619
Default Class 3 Decoration?

So I'm reporting for duty, sitting in this conference room while the rest of the unit plods in, and I notice something in the glass cabinet: A PPsh-41. When I could get a moment alone I took it out and played with it. I believe this is an unregistered Class 3 weapon. The barrel is filled with lead, but the bolt locks back and slams forward when I pull the trigger, the magazine detaches and looks to be in good working order. The receiver appears untouched. Everything seems to be in good working order. What say you?

DrNRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Craigan

AKaholic #: 187609

There's an iraqi bring back akm in the 7th Marine Regiment headquarters exactly like that in 29 Palms.

Likely you're right - if it were you or I who owned it. In this case, they'd classify it as a threat weapon for training or put it on a form 5 or 10 (I assume).

That akm wasn't even in a case. It's on a plaque on the wall of the 7th commander's foyer. However - that ppsh predates the '68 GCA. May be a rewat, or the papers actually may be somewhere.
Craigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
DrNRA
Bar Jude

Rewat-what?
Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

It only become "class 3" when you take it off the military installation.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNRA View Post
Rewat-what?
Prior to the 1968 GCA, the NFA defined an MG as a firearm that discharged more than 1 shot for each trigger pull. IOW, if the gun was incapable of firing it wasn't an MG. As a result many importers brought in De Activated War Trophies (DEWATs) which were otherwise live MGs with a tack weld on the bolt or a plugged bbl to make them "wall Hangers". Not an MG because they couldn't fire even a single shot.

The '68 GCA revised the definition to include the receiver of an MG, making all those DEWATs now legally MGs because they had an unmolested MG receiver. So a lot of folks filed a Form 1 to re-activate them, ground down the welds or replaced parts, and had a registered MG. These are known as "ReWATs".

And of course the .GOV and .MIL is exempt from the NFA laws so no registration needed when they own it.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
specz79
Director of Awesome
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169416

Class 3 on a military base? thats cute

Nec Bonum Nec Malum Vagina Gallium Facit

Corruptissima Re Publica Plurimae Leges
specz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
DrNRA
Bar Jude

So I guess the question becomes, when was it donated or gifted? Was this a wallhanger in somebody's home, never registered, and donated recently? I don't think anybody in my dept knows how long it's been there.

While I was playing with it, all I could think about was the tin of 7.62x25 I have sitting at home.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
So I guess the question becomes, when was it donated or gifted? Was this a wallhanger in somebody's home, never registered, and donated recently? I don't think anybody in my dept knows how long it's been there.

While I was playing with it, all I could think about was the tin of 7.62x25 I have sitting at home.
Well, not knowing where you work, my answer will probably be wrong.

As noted above ".mil and .gov" are exempt from NFA.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Quote:

There were thousands of weapons brought to the USA directly from the war zones by the military. Also gifted weapons.
Every military post I visited with an infantry unit has display weapons of semi auto and full auto in the Regimental Headquarters or the post museum.. Whether dewatted or not I dunno but it is very common.

Many of the pictures in the Grim Reaper book are from military held AK's etc.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
DrNRA
Bar Jude

Very cool. It just never occurred to me that the legalities for bring backs were different on post.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #11
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Quote:
Very cool. It just never occurred to me that the legalities for bring backs were different on post.
Individuals in the military have to follow all the NFA regs when it comes to personally owned firearms. However, the military itself as an organization of the US Government is exempt from all NFA regs. Ya'll ever notice how almost every Fed law ever written ends with "except for us"?

IOW, General Halftrack or Private Bailey picks up a gold plated Krinkov over in Iraq and wants to take it home, as an individual they can't. OTOH, if they determine it could be useful in training or as a trophy of their time in country, they can bring it back as the property of their organization. Being the property of the .MIL it is no different than those millions of M4s and M16s you see guys on the base carrying all the time. None of those are registered with ATF either.

Of course, prior to 1968 you COULD import NFA stuff for individual ownership, and a set of "capture papers" signed by your CO was usually good enough for the IRS back then as a registration. Hell, before ATF was created the actual "registration form" from the IRS was usually just a typed up letter saying it was registered! So assuming the 1953 date on that relic is correct, it is very possible that light Colonel had a legally registered personally owned PPsH. He may have just "donated" it to the base for display.

Last edited by KernelKrink; 08-05-2017 at 07:05 PM.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
JohnFreeman
The bane of my existence
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 4244

.gov doesn't have to follow the laws that we serfs are obliged to obey.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #13
MGMAN45

AKaholic #: 186840

Quote:
Rewat-what?
REWAT=reactivated war trophy
MGMAN45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:02 AM   #14
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

Quote:

I would assume the plaque on the buttstock tells you where it came from and when.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote