Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432
Default Tried a Kahr CW9 today. Really liked it

This friend let me try his CW9 earlier today. His trigger has about 800rds through it. No trigger work done other that cycling rounds.

What a sweet trigger. Smooth as butter. Little to no recoil. He told me that he's never had a misfeed.

Very light, thin pistol. Natural, fast pointer. Feels great in the hand.

Only other one of my pistols which felt so natural from the first instant is my Browning Hi Power.

The CW9 Looks good too. I think I may have to get one.

But before I commit, I thought I'd ask if any one here has any negatory opinons / experiences with the Kahr CW9..?

TIA.

-

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

GuzziMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

I have 2 of the P9 version, the CW is essentially the same gun with a cheaper to produce slide (less machining) and a conventional bbl instead of the "premium match grade Lothar Walther polygonal rifling" one in the P9. Other than a single failure to go fully into battery in one gun when it was new (Kahr sez their guns need 200 rds break in) never had any issues. Accurate, light, easy to shoot. My EDC.

The bad? Spare mags are a bit pricey, but discounted ones show up on Ebay regularly. The mags tend to shed the top round if carried loose in a pocket, so carry your spares in a form fitting carrier and no problems.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Great somewhat underrated guns . A PM9 has been my pocket carry gun
everyday now for around 7 yrs. During the factory recommended break in
I had one round fail to go it to battery. A light tap on rear of slide seated it
and that's the only malfunction its ever had!
Have shoot it 2000 or so rds. Factory ,+p , several hand loads
no issues. As mentioned the top round in a spare mag will pop out unless
carried in a mag pouch.
Carry mine in a Blackhawk pocket holster, with spare mag on belt with a Kytex brand mag pouch,loaded with Win. 147 gr. bonded L.E..
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #4
pre1989
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 175922

I have used 3 Khars over the years ..Two metal ( the K9 and one other ) and a PM9

My thoughs for what little they are worth
1. The plastic guns I just could not shoot them recoil impulse was just wrong for me
2. The break in is true mine out of the box did not work ..FTF FTE etc etc ...I sold it before I broke it in
3. Metal guns I loved them .Smooth shooting and easy to carry but
4. Pain in the but for large hands to take down ..For me what worked was to brace it with two hands and jam its take down pin into a hard ( and I mean hard like Oak or better ) tabel and that was make it work ..Not fun ..It does get easier

Khar does do sales for 20% off mags now and then ..I wont trust them again they got breached about a year ago ..Deleyed notifcation screwed up my CC ..So use a burner card if you shop on there site

In the end though I loved the gun I swapped it for Glock 43 just as I don't like 3 handed take down guns

PS the break is def true on these gun at least 200 rounds though it before it runs ..Some run great then others never seem to run right
Old 11-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
bushman
BENEVOLENTI MODERATORIS

AKaholic #: 3819

I would personally get the CW45, but that's just my .02.

Geez. -TYFOON-
bushman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
hancadam8608

AKaholic #: 192984

I recieved a CM40 last week. Ordered thru sportsman guide for $227. So far I love it. Recoil is much less than I was expecting. Reviews made it sound like it would be unbearable. I've shot it it just shy of 150rnds.

Carry's very nicely.

I was also hesitant in buying it. Some mixed reviews out there. But so far love it and will likely get the CW9 as that was my 2nd choice.

And now I'm pushing my luck, also ordered a Taurus TCP, picking it up Monday. I've had several Taurus guns in the past, all were good for me, but friends and brother in law have not been so lucky. In the end at $144 it to me is worth the risk. Just wanted something for when the Kahr is too big. Sorry to get off topic.

Edit to add this, I had one premature slide lock back, realized I hit the mag release when shooting one handed. Otherwise has feed flat nose and hollow points perfectly.

hancadam8608 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

I've never heard a bad word said about them. I've known folks that's their EDC pistol. Never shot one personally. Too skeert I might like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
dwcopple
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171373

I have a CT9. You should buy it from me
dwcopple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #9
BigBlue&Goldie

AKaholic #: 189021

Llllloooonnnggggeessstttt trigger reset I've ever used in a modern pistol. Wouldn't be my first choice.
BigBlue&Goldie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #10
broberts62

AKaholic #: 157042

I have a CM9. It did need the break-in period. First 100 rounds had 5 FTF, 2 were when trying to manually cycle the slide to load chamber. Their manual specifically says to use the slide lock/release lever to load the empty chamber. After the first 100 it's been flawless and I have about 300 rounds through it. Out of the box the trigger was gritty which was a disappointment and this is described on the web including with the more expensive PM model. Returned it to Kahr and they had it back in 7 days with a polished trigger bar and new trigger bar spring. It's unbelievably smooth now. Only continuing negative is that it is, as someone described above, a 3-handed disassembly job. Accuracy is good and recoil is manageable.
broberts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #11
praxidike

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue&Goldie View Post
Llllloooonnnggggeessstttt trigger reset I've ever used in a modern pistol. Wouldn't be my first choice.
No different than revolvers or other DAO triggers in general. You have to let the trigger all the way out for reset.
praxidike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
dwcopple
Veteran Member

Quote:
you don't shoot a defensive pistol from reset. Do some research and train. In a panic situation you'll slap the trigger. It is proven...UNLESS, you are former SOCOM
Old 11-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #13
Petrichor

AKaholic #: 186188

Quote:
So much this!!! Not a fan of DAO unless I'm shooting a wheel gun.
Petrichor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #14
darink300zx

AKaholic #: 183098

I have a Cw9. I got it in a special deal where it came with 2 mags and a little holster, regularly they only come with one mag. Plus Kahr was doing a rebate at the time for another free mag. All this for 300 bucks. I use it for pocket carry and it fits in my pocket just fine with a little sticky holster I got for it. Prior to this I had a Springfield XDS that I used as my pocket carry pistol and I shoot this Kahr much better and more accurate than I ever did the XDS.

I actually like the trigger on it. It is long and has a long reset, but the trigger pull is very smooth. At defensive distances (up to 25 yards or so) I'm very confident in my ability to hit what I'm aiming at with this little gun. I have some full size pistols that I don't hit as accurately with.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #15
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176461

Kahr was the biggest piece of shit pistol I had ever felt in my life. It felt like a $50 pistol.

I must say the thing that sealed the deal for me was the squeaky trigger. And what might have been worse is the fact that this is a common complaint going back years. What a joke.
Stopsign32v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #16
praxidike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Kahr was the biggest piece of shit pistol I had ever felt in my life. It felt like a $50 pistol.

I must say the thing that sealed the deal for me was the squeaky trigger. And what might have been worse is the fact that this is a common complaint going back years. What a joke.
Funny... The Kahr trigger seems to be the one thing most people compliment. The mag design is the only thing I hear most complain about. I own two Kahrs and between them and my Ruger LCR, they both have the smoothest out the box best DAO triggers I've ever experienced.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:07 AM   #17
dhtexas

AKaholic #: 161409

Had a CW9 for a couple of years. Liked it initially but then soured on it.

Trigger pull was so long it might as well have been a two stage trigger. Unlike some of the experiences on this thread the trigger seemed to get more gritty feeling over time.

Finally sold it after the front site post went flying off during a range session. That was with the Trijicon night sights.

Gun just felt cheaply made to me.
dhtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #18
Kip
MT Slim

AKaholic #: 166978
Location: Got burned out in the Dearborn. Living in Greeat Falls for the winter..(MT)

Had the Lew Horton Molon Lane cw9. It was serviceable. Trigger took some get used to.
Kip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #19
muffindrvr

AKaholic #: 156960

had one liked it was a good gun .we sell a lot of them at the shop I work at for fun money
muffindrvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #20
dwcopple
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhtexas View Post
Unlike some of the experiences on this thread the trigger seemed to get more gritty feeling over time.
you know, you need to clean your gun every now and then. Maybe it just needed a scrub down? They are far from cheaply made. Their machine work on the slides are some of the best out there and the internals for the trigger mechanism are very well done too. If I could change anything, I'd have come up with a way to not have that removeable part on the side of the polymer grip frame. For the $$$ you won't find a better defensive use pistol with the quality of Kahr IMHO.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #21
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
you know, you need to clean your gun every now and then. Maybe it just needed a scrub down? They are far from cheaply made. Their machine work on the slides are some of the best out there and the internals for the trigger mechanism are very well done too. If I could change anything, I'd have come up with a way to not have that removeable part on the side of the polymer grip frame. For the $$$ you won't find a better defensive use pistol with the quality of Kahr IMHO.
Bullshit, far from cheaply made. The frame of mine had extra plastic flashing that interfered with the slide. The slide to frame feel is extremely cheap. Hell it pains me to say but IMO a Kahr makes a Glock seem like it was built by Swiss clock makers. When a trigger creaks when you pull it, that does not equal the internals for the trigger mechanism are very well done. Holy hell, how could I have forgotten the piece of shit magazines?! Yea that was a fucking beauty. Half way through a magazine the magazine would get held up and not let any more rounds come up. A fucking dead man's pistol if I had ever seen one. I'd take a Taurus over one and I'd have to give a good look at a Hi Point before I'd opt for another Kahr.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #22
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

Here's great examples of Kahr quality.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #23
dwcopple
Veteran Member

Oh Stopsign, you are such a ray of light!
Old 11-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #24
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Oh Stopsign, you are such a ray of light!
I did have their budget line so I'm sure the more expensive ones are nice.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #25
BigBlue&Goldie

AKaholic #: 189021

Quote:
you don't shoot a defensive pistol from reset. Do some research and train. In a panic situation you'll slap the trigger. It is proven...UNLESS, you are former SOCOM
Thanks for the advice. The triggers suck dick even when you slap them. There is a reason Kahr pistols have never had a big following.
BigBlue&Goldie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #26
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. The triggers suck dick even when you slap them. There is a reason Kahr pistols have never had a big following.
+1
Old 11-13-2017, 01:08 AM   #27
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

Well, I will have to seriously reconsider the Kahr CM9.

In the meantime, I'll stick with my ol' Faithful Walther PPK/s as my slim-line carry. It's been with me for 30 years, never failed me.

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

GuzziMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:28 AM   #28
dhtexas

AKaholic #: 161409

Quote:
you know, you need to clean your gun every now and then. Maybe it just needed a scrub down?
Hey thanks for the great advice genius, I did not know that.

Actually I clean my guns thoroughly after every range trip including the internals.

Now why don't you go back to trying to make your monthly sales quota by selling some more Kahrs.
dhtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #29
dwcopple
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhtexas View Post
Now why don't you go back to trying to make your monthly sales quota by selling some more Kahrs.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #30
hagar

AKaholic #: 786

Been carrying a CW9 for the last 5 years. Most comfortable piece I ever carried, except maybe the LCP in a back pocket.

Mine shoots great, even in the break-in period it never jammed. Handles +P+ just fine. While it's not a Sig 229, it is accurate enough out to 20 yards.

If you think trigger is bad, try a Keltec PF9..

Only negative about it, it is hard to take apart and can be assembled wrong.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #31
oldflyer

AKaholic #: 175534

I currently have a PM9, and until recently, I also had a CW45. I haven't had a bit of trouble with either of them, although I was told by a dealer that he would not take the CW45 in trade as he had problems with cracked frames. I think the steel frame guns are heavy for their size (I also had a P9 at one time), but I didn't experience a bad trigger on any of them.
oldflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #32
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Been carrying a CW9 for the last 5 years. Most comfortable piece I ever carried, except maybe the LCP in a back pocket.

Mine shoots great, even in the break-in period it never jammed. Handles +P+ just fine. While it's not a Sig 229, it is accurate enough out to 20 yards.

If you think trigger is bad, try a Keltec PF9..

Only negative about it, it is hard to take apart and can be assembled wrong.

How?
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #33
praxidike

There's nothing wrong with Kahrs trigger.... It's a great DAO trigger, and a lot better than the DA triggers on DA/SA Sigs, HKs, CZs, and most revolvers. Calling a DAO trigger crap simply because it doesn't function the same way as a SA trigger is just out right stupid. DAO triggers are usually heavier and have a longer reset. Kahr's trigger isn't overly heaver and its very consistent and smooth.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #34
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

AKaholic #: 179450

I was just shooting a brand new CW45 today. It functioned flawlessly and was plenty accurate. Once I got used to it, the trigger was perfectly adequate for a carry gun. Seemed like a decent enough piece.

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote