Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
shajopma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171347
Default Glock 19 USA vs. Austrian made, opinions?

So I haven't owned a handgun in a while and was initially looking at a Sig P229 in 9mm because I've owned a P226 in the past but they are just too damned expensive. I'm now set on getting a Glock 19 mostly because of reputation but also price point.

As I'm doing research turns out some are made in Austria and some here in the USA (yeah I know you guys already knew that), and I'm not sure if I should try to source one from Austria.

Guess I'm looking for opinions from Glock owners. Are the US and Austrian pistols pretty much the same, one of better quality, hold value better, etc.?

Sorry if this has been discussed before Nalioth.
shajopma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Flip a coin.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176461

Glock is a stupid Glock

None are better than the other
Stopsign32v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

U S A! U S A!
I've got a few USA and a few Austrian ones, all Gen4. I can't tell any difference at all as far as reliability or how they're holding up. If it wasn't for the writing on the side of the slide, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I trust them all equally. The last one I got, I specifically got the USA sku, because American jobs and build a wall and we're #1. I can't speak for resale value.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck

AKaholic #: 180365

i have an Austrian, my buddy has an American. Both are daily carry pieces, both go bang with any ammo we feed them without fail. Both are equally accurate, neither shows any signs of premature wear. In this instance I say buy American. Same quality, same price, keep jobs in America.
SawedOffYankeePrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
shajopma
Veteran Member

American Glock 19 it is! Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
echo-76

AKaholic #: 161941

Parts are sourced the same, right?
echo-76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #8
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

They aren't going to make something with their name on it to different standards.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #9
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Where are SIG pistols made? Germany or New Hampshire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
Yes.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:35 AM   #11
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
I prefer the finish on the Austrian made models as seen on the Gen2 models and some of the 3's. The US nitriding process (melonite) varies slightly from than the Austrian salt-bath process (tennifer) due to the EPA regulations.. so somehow it translated to a somewhat disliked final finish on the Atlanta built Glocks. The wifey likes her Gen4 though, I generally buy used or cheap police trades since I can walk into Glock and have them inspected, re-firbished or parts added for free (anybody can).

The finish change is just an update.

The EPA did not do anything.

The trade name for Tenifer in the US is Mellonite and belongs to the same company and both names cover the same various processes, not just one.

The newer process adds color so there doesn't have to be another finish over it.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

AKaholic #: 157162

either one, the USA or Austrian, is better than any of its competitors so you cant go wrong!!
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
I'm only regurgitating what I was told personally told by Glock's instructors when I attended Glock's Armorer school at the Smyrna headquarters, which happened to be about the time Glock's US plant (here in Smyrna) was coming online. Several of us had friends and acquaintances who worked at Glock who told us the plant was ready to go but sitting idle.
Europe generally has stricter environmental protections than the US.

Anyway, all of those nitriding processes are allowed in the US and there are companies that use them.

The older process Glock used didn't color the metal.

It was a light grey or bare metal in color.

The black finish they used to use over it, would suffer from holster wear.

The nitriding that adds black to the finish usually wears better.

My neighbor and his wife used to work at Glock.

Their son still does.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #14
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
either one, the USA or Austrian, is better than any of its competitors so you cant go wrong!!
Anything Glock is perfection
Stopsign32v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #15
euphrates
Red List All Star

AKaholic #: 177426

Sig m11a1 or gen5 glock 19

If neither get a gen 2 glock 19

The Austrian ones have a nicer machining, more durable finish, and (gen 2's atleast) forged parts.

American made ones are the same gun, the machining (on the gen3/4 atleast) is a little rougher from what i've seen. I dont like the gen4 and see it as a middle child in the glock evolution. The square checkering on the gen5 along with the lack of finger grooves realy improves the "feel" of the gun and i feel like i can grip it more strongly because there are no finger grooves.
the sig m11a1 has an amazing trigger in single and double action and feels great in the hand. It is very expensive however and i am unsure if the magazines are cross compatible with other sig models
euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
Spook76

AKaholic #: 161291

OP, I think you've gotten the feedback you wanted. I lean toward Austrian-made, but know it's for little practical reason.

Quote:
Depends on model and era. Even with some common models sold in the US, the frames were made in Germany and the upper bits in NH. Older (stamped slide) P-series were made entirely in Germany, and are considered by many to be the best of their offerings. Most newest ones, for the US market, are made entirely in NH. If in doubt on an example, look for German marks on frame and slide vs US vs US slide with "frame made in Germany". Some are marked as Switzerland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post
Sig m11a1 or gen5 glock 19

If neither get a gen 2 glock 19

The Austrian ones have a nicer machining, more durable finish, and (gen 2's atleast) forged parts.

American made ones are the same gun, the machining (on the gen3/4 atleast) is a little rougher from what i've seen. I dont like the gen4 and see it as a middle child in the glock evolution. The square checkering on the gen5 along with the lack of finger grooves realy improves the "feel" of the gun and i feel like i can grip it more strongly because there are no finger grooves.
the sig m11a1 has an amazing trigger in single and double action and feels great in the hand. It is very expensive however and i am unsure if the magazines are cross compatible with other sig models
We have a couple SIG M11A1s, as well as P-228s and -229s, and love them. The mags are same-same with the current "P-229-1" version mags/frames, and will not work in older P-228s or *certain* older P-229s. P-228 mags will fit/work in a newer P-229-1/M11A1, but will be a little loose. Some discussion on the -1 changes, here: http://sigtalk.com/#/topics/29839

A P-228 upper on a P-229 frame (with appropriate locking insert swap) is how we run a few of ours, so we can use the same mags across these and our M11A1s. While SIG tried to, essentially, market the M11A1 as a P-228, it's really a P-229 with -228 style slide machining (vs many -229s with the lower half "rib", which have slightly different weight/balance). However it's been marketed, in feel and function it's basically a machined slide -228, includes nice extras (more corrosion-resistant slide material and treatment, factory night sights, SRT), with all the wonderfulness that suggests.

I'm pretty picky about feel and weight, and have no complaints about the M11A1 vs P-228.
"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."--Robert Heinlein

"Never ask someone if they're from Texas. If they are, they'll tell you; if they aren't, there's no need to embarrass them.--Unknown wise observer
Spook76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #17
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

Quote:
Offtopic a bit, but pretty soon, in your garage. https://www.ghostguns.com/home/115-g32-sig-p320.html
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #18
Hogg

AKaholic #: 191642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Anything Glock is perfection
+1
Hogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #19
shajopma
Veteran Member

So I've been waiting for black friday to buy a G19 online but was in a LGS today and ended up leaving with a Gen 4 one with a Austria stamped slide. This thing is so f'n sweet!!

I've been messing around with the different back straps and have decided that it feels best without one even though I wear an XL glove.

My first Glock, hopefully I can get to a range on Friday!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #20
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajopma View Post
So I've been waiting for black friday to buy a G19 online but was in a LGS today and ended up leaving with a Gen 4 one with a Austria stamped slide. This thing is so f'n sweet!!

I've been messing around with the different back straps and have decided that it feels best without one even though I wear an XL glove.

My first Glock, hopefully I can get to a range on Friday!
Good choice. You will love it.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #21
dwcopple
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171373

Smart decision. USA pride in worksmanship is sadly a thing of the past in most cases...
dwcopple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #22
driveljay

AKaholic #: 184116

They are the same gun, same materials. Some countries can't buy firearms from Austria...but they can buy them from America and vise versa. Most of the USA Glocks are exported.
driveljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:41 AM   #23
GunsArePeopleToo

AKaholic #: 185245

All of mine are made in the old country.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #24
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

I have a GenII Glock19 and a Sig SP2022.

I like my Sig SP more than the G19.

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #25
shajopma
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMike View Post
I have a GenII Glock19 and a Sig SP2022.

I like my Sig SP more than the G19.

-
What about your SP do you like more than the Glock?

I'm really getting used to the simplicity of the Glock's striker fire/dao trigger and like the higher hand position compared to Sig.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #26
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsArePeopleToo View Post
All of mine are made in the old country.
Good. Those are the best.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #27
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

AKaholic #: 157162

Quote:
This thing is so f'n sweet!!
You are correct in that assessment

Quote:
I have come to this conclusion as well
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #28
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

Quote:
What about your SP do you like more than the Glock?

I'm really getting used to the simplicity of the Glock's striker fire/dao trigger and like the higher hand position compared to Sig.
To be clear, I have owned the G19 for about 20 years and have shot it quite frequently. I like the Glock.

The Sig SP I got in September, 2015 and have about 1500rds through it. I really like the Sig.

I like the Ergonomics of the grip on the SP better. I also like the trigger. Although I find the G19 to be quite accurate, I can do better with the SP, all else being equal..

For me, the SP is more of a "Natural" feeling when aiming and shooting than the Glock. Kind of hard to describe; I guess that it is a personal quirk.

I remember first picking up my P08 Luger and my Browning Hi Power...Both of those also had that instant familiarity to me, like shaking hands with an old friend. Same with the Sig. The Glock, not so much.

Oh, yeah; one more thing... my Glock doesn't have "Drop Free" magazine. The Sig does.

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote