Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 11-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176461
Default Buy my modded used Glock for $1,000. You're getting a deal

I cannot for the life of me understand this. This is one of I can't tell you how many examples but I remember on AR15.com someone was selling a Glock 43 (a $400 gun) they had work done on. They were asking $1300 for it.

Hell there is one for sale right now on this site for a little less than $1,000 with a hand full of upgrades.

I like Glocks, but I will say Glock owners are some of the stupidest gun owners out there. Let me buy this $500 gun and then sink $600 in it to make it better. Then when I sell it, I expect 90% of my investment back...
Stopsign32v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
GunBugBit
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 140929

Ha ha yeah I'd never pay much for a Glock. Not that I don't like 'em. Any upgrades will be my own. Other people's upgrades, unless exactly what I would have done, have no value to me.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
NMGuy
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 182584

There are no "upgrades".

It's fine the way it is. Everything else is just fucking it up. Like I'm going to pay extra for you melting the frame with a soldering iron? Thanks for letting me know that Glock will never accept that pistol for any type of warranty work down the road.

And you're just catching on to this shit? The AR15 crowd does this same crap. They want 90-100% of their investment back.

Like here. Let me go buy a new truck and fart in the front seat a billion times over a year or two then you can pay me 95% of what I paid for it. My captured farts in that seat are worth that much.

If anything, "upgrades" will lower of keep value the same.
NMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
AlphaTango4
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164926

If you put money into any gun short of a collector piece, you will get little to zero in return for your upgrades.

We have guys coming in all the time wanting piles of cash for lipstick on a pig.

Never works out in their favor.

Watching and waiting.
AlphaTango4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
Raiderfan001
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181229

Same thing with trucks and cars. I've been in the market for a suburban and there are so many retards out there. Overpriced rust buckets or they think their lift kit and bald mud tires double the value.
Raiderfan001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

Nobody ever accused glock owners of being smart.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #7
Brasky
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 187139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
Same thing with trucks and cars. I've been in the market for a suburban and there are so many retards out there. Overpriced rust buckets or they think their lift kit and bald mud tires double the value.
That's because they pay $1,000 for bald tires with 4/32" of tread left so they can brag about their 35s
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

AKaholic #: 177161

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGuy View Post
There are no "upgrades".

It's fine the way it is. Everything else is just fucking it up. Like I'm going to pay extra for you melting the frame with a soldering iron? Thanks for letting me know that Glock will never accept that pistol for any type of warranty work down the road.

And you're just catching on to this shit? The AR15 crowd does this same crap. They want 90-100% of their investment back.

Like here. Let me go buy a new truck and fart in the front seat a billion times over a year or two then you can pay me 95% of what I paid for it. My captured farts in that seat are worth that much.

If anything, "upgrades" will lower of keep value the same.

Couldnt have said it better myself. I own 6 glocks, but they are all stock. Anything else would be ruining them
lastlaugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
AK-104
Swollen Member

AKaholic #: 162667

Spot on man. I qualify (as do a huge portion of shooters) for the blue label discount from Glock, which puts the prices VERY low. I always laugh when I see local ads for used Glock pistols that talk about "custom stippling", and whatnot, then see prices that are a couple hundred more than new retail, and several hundred more than what I can buy them new for.

Basically, what that ad says to me is:

A) I'm an idiot, and am looking for someone like me to get me out from under a gun I don't want

B) I'm not a public servant in even the most remote of capacities because if I were I'd know that much of the shooting community is, and can buy a brand new version of what I'm selling for a fraction of what I'm asking

C) I was too inept to shop for a pistol that fit me from the start, so I have destroyed one in hopes of making it work, but it hasn't

D) I probably don't know much about firearms, and shooting in general or I would have recognized that the "improvements" I have made to the pistol I'm selling, have done nothing to make me a better shooter, but have killed the value of my gun

E) I'd probably smoke your pole if I thought it would convince you to buy my now ruined pistol for my inflated asking price
Old 11-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #10
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand this. This is one of I can't tell you how many examples but I remember on AR15.com someone was selling a Glock 43 (a $400 gun) they had work done on. They were asking $1300 for it.

Hell there is one for sale right now on this site for a little less than $1,000 with a hand full of upgrades.

I like Glocks, but I will say Glock owners are some of the stupidest gun owners out there. Let me buy this $500 gun and then sink $600 in it to make it better. Then when I sell it, I expect 90% of my investment back...
You just don't know anything about guns.

You probably ought to stop commenting on things about which you know not.

I guess I should help you out a little bit.

A COLT 1911 these days, whatever they call the things, are what? An $800 pistol stock?

That is about a minimum of $1200 short of what it will take to make that $800 pistol into a usable, reliable firearm.

A lot of people just don't know anything about firearms and think that what you can get out of a glass counter is good to go.

Like everything, ones choices in life are a personal thing. Some people are just fine with canned beans, some are not.

A Glock, esp .the latest gen 5s, are pretty good guns right out of the box and I think they are good to go as is.

Others that have another grand in theirs think not, but you know what? That is just fine by me.

Last edited by VALMET_M76; 11-02-2017 at 10:38 PM.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:12 PM   #11
bushman
BENEVOLENTI MODERATORIS

AKaholic #: 3819

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET_M76 View Post

A COLT 1911 these days, whatever they call the things, are what? An $800 pistol stock?

That is about a minimum of $1200 short of what it will take to make that $800 pistol into a usable, reliable firearm.

A lot of people just don't know anything about firearms and think that what you can get out of a glass counter is good to go.

Like everything, ones choices in life are a personal thing. Some people are just fine with canned beans, some are not.

A Glock, esp .the latest gen 5s, are pretty good guns right out of the box and I think they are good to go as is.

Others that have another grand in theirs think not, but you know what? That is just fine by me.
Bullshit. You've just got a hate on for 1911's.

Geez. -TYFOON-
bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:15 PM   #12
oakhandledsks
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire4Effect View Post
Nobody ever accused glock owners of being smart.
I still have one foot and some fingers left, hogwash.
oakhandledsks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:15 PM   #13
NMGuy
Veteran Member

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Really? Cause I got a new Colt combat commander back in April and put over 1300 rounds through it without one stoppage. Only cleaning every 300-400 rounds or so. That's not a lot but it seems pretty serviceable and reliable to me with no indication otherwise.

Only used chip McCormick 8rd magazines.

Most of these guns are not "worked on", "improved", or "customized". They are "personalized" and more times than not don't do anything better. Hence why these guys are trying to get their wasted money back out of them by selling them. If you sink a total of $1200-1500 into a Glock you won't even get half that money back selling it.

I've shot a lot of expensive money pit firearms and more times than not they didn't do anything better. More often handguns than anything else. All they do is allow the owner to show off his unique looking pistol and brag about how much money he threw away to make it look like that. Kind of like buying a 50 bedroom mansion when you live alone.

There is a point of deminishing returns on firearms as there is everything. I've seen guys shoot smaller groups with rifles at 1000 yards when the entire setup cost $3000 vs some other guys $10,000 setup that didn't shoot half as well. Having expensive stuff doesn't guarantee you will shoot better and it doesn't even guarantee a large performance boost.

We have a local guy here who can barely shoot MOA groups with anything but his firearms all cost far more than they should. I've seen him out there shooting $6,000 rifle setups bragging about how Awesome his stuff is then not even being able to hit a 5/8 scale chicken silhouette at 200 yards. He has had several of these "custom" Glocks, 1911's, etc... he always seems to trade for something new.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:05 AM   #14
Spook76

AKaholic #: 161291

So, what you're saying is that I should ask more than $650 for my spare Gen 4 G34 (excellent, low round count, Trijicon HDs--otherwise stock--w/10 total factory mags)? :P
"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."--Robert Heinlein

"Never ask someone if they're from Texas. If they are, they'll tell you; if they aren't, there's no need to embarrass them.--Unknown wise observer
Spook76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #15
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

What people will ignore is the fact that putting lipstick on a pig don't make the pig more valuable.
No shortage of idiots in this world. The real idiots are the ones that buy overpriced shit like that. Buy a $450 Glock and flip it for double? Yeah........WTF right? Stew pedessos anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #16
Cold1

AKaholic #: 185273

I like my gen 3 G35. I found a good deal locally 8 years ago and grabbed it for about $540. I wanted a 22 to go with it and needed a less expensive option to leave in the car when I couldn't carry. Half a dozen locals had police trade Gen 3's. Shopped around and found a very nice one for $366 out the door.

I now need a smaller carry gun and am looking at 23's. Police trade options are limited but Gen4's can be had in 3 or 4 different colors for under $500.

Same thing with the 9mm family.

$1300 for a glock? For $1300 you can darn near buy 3.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #17
codifier
Your Huckleberry

AKaholic #: 170379

Since it came up, and I like flames, let me throw on the fire that the dude from Battlefield Vegas who posts on arfcom (I know, I know) says 1911's have the most problems in relation to the number of rounds that go through them.

Berettas, Sigs, and except for a recent rash of Gen4s Glocks are their best performers. To be fair these guns get a lot of rounds through them, but they do receive regular maintenance including spring replacement.

Had a couple RIAs that never had a problem, but honestly 1911s are antiquated as a defensive fighting pistol. Not worthless, just not the best choice given it's weight, size, lack of capacity, SAO, and reliability issues (yes I know certain mags, certain ammo make it more reliable yadda yadda yadda, but you shouldn't have to align the fucking planets while standing on your head and rubbing your tummy to get them to consistently work).

Quote:
All the power [the State] has is what society gives it, plus what it confiscates from time to time on one pretext or another;
there is no other source from which State power can be drawn. Therefore every assumption of State power, whether by gift
or seizure, leaves society with so much less power.

― Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, the State
codifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #18
praxidike

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Originally Posted by codifier View Post
Since it came up, and I like flames, let me throw on the fire that the dude from Battlefield Vegas who posts on arfcom (I know, I know) says 1911's have the most problems in relation to the number of rounds that go through them.

Berettas, Sigs, and except for a recent rash of Gen4s Glocks are their best performers. To be fair these guns get a lot of rounds through them, but they do receive regular maintenance including spring replacement.

Had a couple RIAs that never had a problem, but honestly 1911s are antiquated as a defensive fighting pistol. Not worthless, just not the best choice given it's weight, size, lack of capacity, SAO, and reliability issues (yes I know certain mags, certain ammo make it more reliable yadda yadda yadda, but you shouldn't have to align the fucking planets while standing on your head and rubbing your tummy to get them to consistently work).
All metal frame, more simplistic internally compared to D/A, lower energy bullet, etc. The barrel, slide, and recoil spring should be somewhat similar in specs and strength vs other non 1911 pistols. I'm scratching my head as to why a 1911 would NOT be able to get as many rounds through it. Not making sense, and I wonder what their sample size as far as how many individual 1911s from how many different manufacturers their basing this statement on...
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #19
NMGuy
Veteran Member

Quote:

The 1911 is an antique at this point. Just like an M1 Garand. Far Better things exist now.

But there is more data out on the 1911 than any other pistol. It still is used heavily in competitive shooting. If you want some realistic numbers you need to ask the guys who have been competing with them for decades. That's your solid data. Not a tourist attraction in Las Vegas. The guns at Battlefield Vegas are abused beyond all reason for the most part. They make their money worth out of them pretty quick in the service life and after that they don't care if it starts beating itself to death. Guns are cheap. A replacement at many points for them is cheaper than paying guys to go in and repair and replace parts.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #20
Floivanus

AKaholic #: 191191

Quote:

Are the BV guns those overly tight POS 'boutique' guns people generally over pay for? Or are they mil-spec colts? Are they fired in semi or full? Never had any malfunctions in thousands of rounds myself, so my experience isn't comparable
Floivanus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #21
NMGuy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floivanus View Post
Are the BV guns those overly tight POS 'boutique' guns people generally over pay for? Or are they mil-spec colts? Are they fired in semi or full? Never had any malfunctions in thousands of rounds myself, so my experience isn't comparable
If you get on some of these other forums and find a shooter who has competed for a long time, they'll tell you they're good for a very long time.

I'm on another forum with at least 2 members who have been competing since the 60's and 70's. They've worn out a few and from all I remember is they claimed very good service life. Much greater than reasonably needed. About on par with Glock and such.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #22
DRAM-M40A1

AKaholic #: 155196

Quote:

I have one of those $800 Colts and an invoice from Wayne Novak for $3,015.00 worth of custom work. If I ever have to fight with a hand gun, I hope it's within reach!
DRAM-M40A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #23
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

Yeah, the guys that buy those agency Arms Glocks are crazy. Why buy a Glock if you swap out half the damn pistol?

--Originally posted by Nofreetime—
“PTR’s are obsolete Fudd Sticks.”
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:29 AM   #24
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck

AKaholic #: 180365

I buy Glock 19 Gen 4. Take it to range. Shoot it. A lot. Shoot it more. Carry it daily. It always goes bang, it shoots as true as the man squeezing the trigger. A nicer trigger wouldn’t hurt but beyond that it needs no mods whatsoever.
SawedOffYankeePrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:34 AM   #25
Jim in

AKaholic #: 188053

Quote:
Glock owners, who buy this $500 gun and then sink $600 in it to make it better, are some of the stupidest gun owners out there.
fify
Jim in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #26
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

Quote:

You see it on Armslist with WASRs too. $1,000 wasr= $400 used Wasr+$30 worth of tapco mags+$60 zhukov stock+ $120 crap mount & optic. Some don't understand depreciation however I suspect it is more a case of list high, get lowballed and meet in the middle. Ages old haggling tactic.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #27
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman View Post
Bullshit. You've just got a hate on for 1911's.
Agreed. Obvious troll is obvious.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:04 AM   #28
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

Quote:

You ought to stop trolling. Honestly. Go buy a $800 Colt. I would bet my left nut you can shoot $1,200 worth of ammo without a malfunction if it is cleaned & lubed every 1,000 rounds.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #29
wormraper

AKaholic #: 192990

I chuckle when I see those sale threads. Honestly, if I buy a used glock I DO NOT buy one that's been modded. If I see one with extra doo-dads and vickers this, or tactical this, I immediately pass on it. More of a chance to fuck it up than actually make it better. Glocks work most reliably when bone stock
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #30
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I chuckle when I see those sale threads. Honestly, if I buy a used glock I DO NOT buy one that's been modded. If I see one with extra doo-dads and vickers this, or tactical this, I immediately pass on it. More of a chance to fuck it up than actually make it better. Glocks work most reliably when bone stock
Pretty much any gun. Bubba can ruin a wet dream. You know what else I think is a factor? When I was younger it seemed I wanted to modify and "improve" everything. Whether it needed it or not. I guess with age, experience comes wisdom.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:41 AM   #31
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

Quote:

I wouldn't say Glock owners are some of the stupidest gun owners out there. I think it is more of a case of ARF.com members being special.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #32
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

AKaholic #: 179450

Quote:

I dunno. I've had the same Colt 1991A1 for the better part of 20 years with zero failures to feed and zero failures to extract/eject with thousands of rounds down the pipe.

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:37 AM   #33
NMGuy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
You see it on Armslist with WASRs too. $1,000 wasr= $400 used Wasr+$30 worth of tapco mags+$60 zhukov stock+ $120 crap mount & optic. Some don't understand depreciation however I suspect it is more a case of list high, get lowballed and meet in the middle. Ages old haggling tactic.
I do this all the time. If I ask a fair price of what it's worth or a little less. Everyone thinks I need money or something is wrong with it. So I get low balled like hell. So I price almost what the crap cost new and wait for a decent offer which is what I really want.

Heck, around here we could throw a $20 bill on the table and some jackass would offer you $0.50 to buy it. And they'd be dead serious. It's kind of insulting.

If I paid $1000 and sell a rifle a year or two later because I didn't like it, I want to get $650-750. Generally $750 because if I didn't like it I wasn't using it so it is "like new". But I have to ask $900-1000 or the only offers I will get will be in the $300 range. If I ask an outrageous price someone usually offers me what it's worth. If they do I usually throw in a couple mags and crap too. I can get more than what some of these guys offer at a pawn shop.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #34
Larryphoto
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170271

A Glock can need help too, to maximize its usefulness, and I do spend $$ on mine, but they are not for resell, but for high round counts, action pistol competitions and such.

KKM barell, that alone in my Glock 22 has won me more in prizes then it cost me.
Glock trigger, gritty, replace the connector's on both my G22 and G19 (not lighter springs) just crisper. And of course, does anyone really like the Glock stock sights?

I've spent maybe $300 on each pistol not counting hosters/mags and would trust each to go to "hell and back" and still work.

PS - I would only trust a "quality" 1911, I've had many and only trust a full size from some one like Wilson, saw too many FTF during matches or just pratice.

Last edited by Larryphoto; 11-07-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typos
Larryphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #35
Distant-K

AKaholic #: 194151

I've seen hundreds of ads on Armslist for heavily stippled, heavily "modded/upgraded" Glocks. I just assume the people who post these ads are selling these guns to each other, like a kind of closed community of 20-30 crazy people in every city.

If it's me, the only things that raise the value of a used Glock I'm shopping for are fresh night sights and extra magazines. I consider a stippled frame to be damaged and will deduct from the value, if I even consider it, and any sort of titanium-nitrided or rainbow-colored internal parts are just a wash for me. You can put the original parts back in the gun and put the aftermarket parts up for sale separately if you like, but you're not forcing me to pay for your poor spending decisions.
Distant-K is online now   Reply With Quote