Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
GreekOrtho84

AKaholic #: 192110
Default FIME VEPR Finish- Resistant to Gunscrubber?

Hey All,

Before I purchase a FIME Vepr, I was wondering if the factory finish is resistant to solvents or if I will have to pay to have it refinished. I like to use gunscrubber, but in my other Arsenals it eats through the paint.

Regards

-E
GreekOrtho84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
Techno
Russianpaint.net
Vendor

AKaholic #: 176777

Why use something that eats paint? If it eats Arsenals paint it will eat Russian paint. I have never needed cleaner that has solvents in it. If you keep up the maintenance you won't either.

The Russians used the same paint for about 37 years, they never needed gun scrubber and they fought in Afghanistan, Chechnya twice etc etc.

Gun scrubber is solvent based, assume it will not work on any painted guns unless you yourself put a Phenol Resin based finish on it.

One solution is buy the Fime Vepr, buy some KG gunkote semi gloss clear and degrease the gun really well, spray it, then use all the gunscrubber or brake cleaner you want. Kg is indestructible

Click logo below:
Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
GreekOrtho84

AKaholic #: 192110

Well I just want to know from someone who owns a FIME- is the finish resistant to gunscrubber?
GreekOrtho84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #4
frankinnola
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 174065

no it is not. it will come off if you use gunscrubber.
frankinnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
Techno
Russianpaint.net
Vendor

I answered your question, I make the same paint the Russians use as well as the Bulgarians. FIME has nothing to do with that Molot rifle.

ALL Imported Russian and Bulgarian painted weapons use the exact same paint. Thee paint was DESIGNED to not be resistant to solvents. That way they can easily refurb their guns, as well as make it easier for the Arsenals to mix the paint.

-Molot
-Kalashnikov Concern (AKA Izhmash)
-Arsenal Bulgaria

They all use the same paint, the same paint they have used since the early 1970's. Take the new rifle, degrease if and put a clear coat on it. Or use something that doesn't melt paint.

There is no reason to avoid this gun because of the paint, have a clear coat put on it.

Click logo below:
Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #6
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

Paint on my Veprs is 100 times better than on any of my Arsenals. No comparison. I own five different Arsenal rifles and two Veprs so far. I wouldn't use Gunscrabber anyway, it is crap. Use mpro7 cleaner or CLP.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
Techno
Russianpaint.net
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemlyak View Post
Paint on my Veprs is 100 times better than on any of my Arsenals. No comparison. I own five different Arsenal rifles and two Veprs so far. I wouldn't use Gunscrabber anyway, it is crap. Use mpro7 cleaner or CLP.
This is correct, I don't know if the Bulgarians started using black water colors but for some reason the late arsenals you could get it too close to the sink and wash the finish off.

I did buy some raw materials out of Bulgaria for some trial batches of my paint and it was worse than the Chinese as far as Quality control.

Click logo below:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno View Post
This is correct, I don't know if the Bulgarians started using black water colors but for some reason the late arsenals you could get it too close to the sink and wash the finish off.

I did buy some raw materials out of Bulgaria for some trial batches of my paint and it was worse than the Chinese as far as Quality control.
I repaint receiver already on new SLR107, not a big deal and with result I like. I would repaint barrel as well but I don't know if Klyron I am using will hold on high temerature metal.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 PM   #9
Techno
Russianpaint.net
Vendor

Guys,
The best damn looking spray paint coming from a guy that makes/sells paint, is Semi Gloss appliance epoxy found at certain hardware stores. It is just enough heat/solvent resistance and it is the stuff so many people used before I did my research.

I will get y'all the brand if you want. It gets stupid glossy in the oven, don't bake it.

Click logo below:
Old 04-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
DOS AK's
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 177786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno View Post
Guys,
The best damn looking spray paint coming from a guy that makes/sells paint, is Semi Gloss appliance epoxy found at certain hardware stores. It is just enough heat/solvent resistance and it is the stuff so many people used before I did my research.

I will get y'all the brand if you want. It gets stupid glossy in the oven, don't bake it.
Good to know! That's why I never cared for the rifles I had seen with appliance epoxy. Yes, please share your recommended brand.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 159323
Default Finish/Sheen

It gets stupid glossy in the oven, don't bake it.

That because they don't know what they are doing. Or maybe they wanted it "shinier".

Search out and you will see a varying degree from Semi-Glossy to Flat-Matte finish using single stage epoxy paint.

MJ
Old 04-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #12
KCTate08

AKaholic #: 186906

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-ula View Post

That because they don't know what they are doing. Or maybe they wanted it "shinier".

Search out and you will see a varying degree from Semi-Glossy to Flat-Matte finish using single stage epoxy paint.

MJ
Lots of YouTube's out there regarding which brand does what...left cold or baked. I like DuraCoat, so far (easily repairable). Haven't tried the epoxy paint except the Duplicolor High Temp stuff for smaller parts that don't see hard use.
KCTate08 is offline   Reply With Quote