Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Vendor Discussion Forums > General Manufacturers, Vendors and Gunsmiths

Notices

Old 07-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #36
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 176307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahatlakhoom View Post
With the East German decals.

Nice! Not many out there with the correct slanted characters!

Want to save money building AND have the most authentic looking selector markings?

CLICK HERE!

LOOKING TO BUY: T2 OR T3 SOVIET THREADED AK47 BARREL

WTB APEX PURCHASED POLISH NSP3 SCOPE MARKED AKMSL PC00053 NrL-90058. It's out there!!!

Weaponmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #37
Rahatlakhoom
Raving Mad

AKaholic #: 7248

Newly marked M70 B1 over Gunkote.
The decals are outstanding.
Built on an AKbuilder M70 flat.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #38
Rahatlakhoom
Raving Mad

No, sorry I didn't mean to imply they will etch thru gunkote.
I marked the etching with a silver sharpie after gunkote.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:53 AM   #39
kunc

AKaholic #: 176577

Would the front trunnion on a Saiga/SGL need to be prepped before use and if so how would you go about the prep?
kunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #40
Rahatlakhoom
Raving Mad

The Bulgarian 74 markings.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #41
Stroid
Banned

AKaholic #: 169406

I would LOVE the polish tantal left side thumb seldctor markings!

Last edited by Stroid; 10-27-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Stroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #42
Alamocity

AKaholic #: 14566

I think my concerns are about removing the existing 's' & 'f' markings, as well as touching up existing finishes after the new etching is done.

I did see the one post about using emery/scotchbrite's to blend out the S & F stamps. Might try that....

Anyone use a dremel attachment to speed up the abrasion removal of the S & F stamps?
If so, which one would be best for a controlled, careful job?

Thanks, T
Alamocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #43
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroid View Post
I could probably put that in line after a few others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamocity View Post
I think my concerns are about removing the existing 's' & 'f' markings, as well as touching up existing finishes after the new etching is done.

I did see the one post about using emery/scotchbrite's to blend out the S & F stamps. Might try that....

Anyone use a dremel attachment to speed up the abrasion removal of the S & F stamps?
If so, which one would be best for a controlled, careful job?

Thanks, T
What receiver do you have? Some manufacturers markings are so shallow that they can be removed with sandpaper. Some are marked deeper and would require more work. I've had stuff TIG welded in the past so that I could replace with my own markings.

Want to save money building AND have the most authentic looking selector markings?

CLICK HERE!

WTB APEX PURCHASED POLISH NSP3 SCOPE MARKED AKMSL PC00053 NrL-90058. It's out there!!!

Old 09-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #44
Alamocity

AKaholic #: 14566

All of these are built (not blank recievers): I have a parked milled reciever, a 2013 WASR and a stamped yugo (NDS). The NDS stamps are deep. The other two are relatively shallow and I'd consider sanding those down.

My biggest concern is touching up to match the dark (black) parkerizing. Not sure what the WASR finish is, though its very dark.

T
Alamocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #45
Stroid
Banned

Quote:

Waitin, waitin, waitin... oh so patiently... need 2x of these
Old 10-28-2015, 12:37 AM   #46
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

Quote:
Waitin, waitin, waitin... oh so patiently... need 2x of these

What are you waiting for?

CLICK HERE!

Old 10-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #47
Stroid
Banned

Wow! So nice! Does it etch that track between the letters too for the thumb selector to ride in? And the detent holes?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #48
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

It will etch the arc between the letters and the 3 round detents. Everything you see pictured.

As far as the arc between the C/P/S, I'm not sure why they even put that in as it serves no real purpose. The only contact with the side of the receiver is the ball that rides into the detents. You can see this on the scratch it creates in the paint. But since it's the original feature, it's in the reproduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponmark View Post
What are you waiting for?

Quote:
Wow! So nice! Does it etch that track between the letters too for the thumb selector to ride in? And the detent holes?

CLICK HERE!

Old 11-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #49
cabinarms
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173472

this is one of the 80% milled Tortort receivers. 100% complete now, getting ready to build. park and paint

[IMG]http://s30.************/o4bz91n34/tort_001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://s28.************/nf2ud99n0/tort_002.jpg[/IMG]

http://s28.************/nf2ud99n0/tort_002.jpg

http://s30.************/o4bz91n34/tort_001.jpg

Last edited by cabinarms; 11-08-2015 at 07:03 PM.
cabinarms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #50
MPiKM-72

AKaholic #: 177469

Hope to one day see you offer decals to etch these Romanian markings...

Romanian Military AKM S FA FF with pointed A - used on both MD63 and "G" models from sometime beginning in the 1980's through at least 1991. The S kind of tilts backwards:

Both rifles in this photo are 1991 production.

Export S A R with tilted S - Used from at least 1991 - 1993/1994 on MD65 and MD90 rifles. Sometime in 1994 they made the S straight/upright. Much larger font size.

1991 Export MD65 with AK serial prefix:

1993 Export MD90 - UK deact with TC serial prefix

MPiKM-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:03 AM   #51
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

^^ Good to see you over here. Glad you like the ones I recently sent and thanks for the pics.

I've got a few done that I haven't yet photographed. Romy pointy A, Egyptian SAR, and AIMS-74 8/1/3. There are also a couple more special items being worked on.

CLICK HERE!

Old 02-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #52
cabinarms
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173472

http://s15.************/wqjnkzxgb/IMG..._101638419.jpg
[IMG]http://s15.************/wqjnkzxgb/IMG_20160220_101638419.jpg[/IMG]

http://s11.************/ipfudie6b/IMG..._101720198.jpg
[IMG]http://s11.************/ipfudie6b/IMG_20160220_101720198.jpg[/IMG]
done on the Tortort 80% receiver (milled)

Last edited by cabinarms; 02-20-2016 at 12:38 PM.
cabinarms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:53 AM   #53
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

That looks great!

CLICK HERE!

Old 04-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #54
Obeast44
Ready and Waiting

AKaholic #: 168098

I sent ya a PM with a custom request, hopefully you can make it happen.
It's fucking idiotic. Everyone calling into question each other's character over the most trivial of things. It's like the fucking Special Olympics locker room snapping retarded asses with towels.
Obeast44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #55
DFM5609
Contributor

AKaholic #: 171849

Very happy with the results with the etch tool/9v battery. This was my first attempt, no practice run. Tortort 80% yugo receiver.

I have two more receivers to do, and I'm sure I'll be using these on all of my builds in the future.
DFM5609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #56
AK2002

AKaholic #: 180956

[IMG][/IMG]

I just finished this. My first etching! (after practicing on some scrap) It turned out fantastic. I couldn't be happier with it.
AK2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #57
728raidt

AKaholic #: 189521
Question need address to by kits

From 728raidt. Interested in buy items.But, need address to send MO to along with needs.
Thanks AL

.[/COLOR]

INSTRUCTIONS FOR ETCHING USING WEAPONMARK DECALS AND ETCH TOOL.

Etch decals and tools are available HERE

Please read in its entirety before you begin.

Follow these directions to successfully etch accurate selector markings from Weaponmark.

In addition to a decal and etching tool, the following items are required:

1/4 cup warm water
1 TSP salt
9v battery

The following items are most strongly suggested:

Transparent tape (scotch type)
Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
Some form of timer: watch/clock/phone

1. Preparation of etching surface

You want a SMOOTH surface for best adhesion. If possible, hand sand to a shine. A rough surface will not look good when done. Prepare by removing ALL traces of oil. This is imperative for a successful application. Use household rubbing alcohol, not your favorite caustic cleaner. These types of cleaners can leave residue on the surface and will ruin the bond surface between the decal and the metal. Wipe down the marking area and let dry.

2. Decal application

Your decal is made of three layers. The white backing, the decal, the clear transfer. The transfer is needed to hold the parts in place as you remove the backing of the decal to adhere it to the work surface. Before you start, it is good practice to rub the top layer with a coin or credit card to ensure it has good contact with the face (black vinyl under the clear top) of the decal.

CAREFULLY peel the white backing away from the decal. Using a credit card at a sharp angle is helpful in ensuring the inner pieces do not stick to the backing upon removal. This is more likely to occur around the inside of the A,B,P etc. If a piece becomes misaligned throughout any of the process, the wooden pick is provided as a convenience.

Hold up the decal to a light source after removing the backing to make sure everything is properly aligned.

Visually align your decal on the receiver and gently place in position at an angle that would prevent air bubbles from getting trapped as you finalize placement. Again, rub the clear, top surface with a coin or something similar to ensure decal is firmly placed on the receiver.

You can now slowly, and carefully peel the clear transfer layer away, again at a sharp angle. Make sure there are no wrinkles or gaps. There is usually no recovering from a poorly placed stencil.

Mask around the decal with transparent tape to seal out the electrolyte. If it gets in there so will electricity and you will be etching places you don't want to. I usually go at least 1" in all directions. Application is now complete.

3. Preparation of etch tool.

-Work in a well ventilated area.

-Mix warm water and salt.

Cut the cotton pad into strips.

Fold a piece up and clip it into the black, NEGATIVE (-) lead. Do this in a way that you have a tuft of cotton, just large enough to cover one place at a time. Example: the Yugoslavian "U,R,J" is comprised of three places, and in this particular case, the "AB" would be one place, the "OA" is another place. You want the tuft to be big enough to be able to cover both AB together. Clip the red, POSITIVE (+) lead directly to your receiver. Making sure your black lead is NOT touching the receiver, plug in a good 9v battery.

Dip the cotton into the salt water electrolyte. Make sure it is soaked completely. Remove excess water. You want the cotton wet, but not quite dripping.

Remember this part: PAT, DO NOT RUB.

Touch the wet cotton to the "AB" on the decal. Hold for a few seconds, lift slightly and touch back down. Repeat this for 30 seconds. Move to the "OA". Touch the wet cotton to the OA. Hold for a few seconds, lift and repeat for 30 seconds. If you have a third place, repeat the step. You will work each place for 30 seconds, patting up and down, and again, do not rub. Continue the 30 second cycles until each place has approximately 2:00-2:30 of burn time. You should not need to wet the cotton after the first time if you allowed enough liquid to remain in it. You should see slight bubbling and hear a sizzle sound. Do not breath in the vapors, this is why I am doing this outside.

Place 1

Place 2

Place 1 again

After 4:00, each place had approximately 4 sets of 00:30 etch time. 2:00 total was spent on the AB, 2:00 total was spent on the OA. I then did an additional 00:30 on each one, and overall burn time was completed at the 5:00 mark.

Check your depth with the pick. Keep in mind that the decal has some height, even if it is small. Typically I find 2:30 on each place adequate, but don't assume that's a magic number. Different metal hardness will result in different etch times. An unfolded flat might take a little less time over a heat treated receiver. You may want to try 10-15 second increases to get to the depth you are happy with. Keep in mind, the deeper you go, the wider the marking will be, as the electrolyte will also eat at the sidewalls created by the depth. I actually take this factor into account when creating from originals, so that when you get around the right depth, the width will look good too!

Once you are happy with the depth, go ahead and remove the decal. The pick is a useful tool here.

It is important to clean up the area right away. Failure to properly clean at this stage will quickly promote corrosion. Oil right away after cleaning!

Stand back and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

PRO TIP.

Most original markings were stamped. The etch process provides a way to give you that stamped marking look that is missing from most rifles. However, one little trick will make your freshly made marking REALLY pop!

Take a piece of 320 grit sandpaper, and place it on your receiver where you etched. Use a pencil eraser to rub the sandpaper over your freshly etched marking in a circular motion. Once a slight contour develops, switch to a scotch-brite pad. This will smooth the edges and will feel like butter, and it really looks like a fresh stamp!

NOTES:

-- Once in a while I see a customers pic and I think it could have come out better than it did. There is a constant theme here, the user didn't follow the directions. Little to no surface prep, and using a power supply that can reanimate Frankenstein. Use the etch tool I offer, or rig a similar one. No need to splice into the power lines for this.--

The markings you will receive are set to the left of the decal to help you visually align them with the detents on your receiver. Take some time to look at original examples to get an idea of placement. Often times, the same model from the same country might have a little variation to placement. It is also common to see placement not perfectly aligned with detents, or the receiver itself. Sometimes even the characters are not perfectly aligned with eachother. This is part of what I recreate when making these decals. It's the subtle touches that help bring your rifle to life.

If this interests you, check out my for sale page by clicking HERE. I am constantly adding more variants, so there's lots more in store!

Thank you for trying my offering, and I hope to have you as a repeat customer. Tell your friends there is a cheaper and better alternative for AK markings from Weaponmark.[/QUOTE]
728raidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #58
shane545

AKaholic #: 176206

going to ask a few questions before I try etching

one, should the flat I am useing be, well, flat, bent, or does it not matter when applying.

and two, I am finishing the receiver in oxphoblue, should I do the etching before or after the 5 coats of cold blue I will apply, thank you.
The gun has played a critical role in history, an invention which has been praised and denounced, Served hero and villain alike, and carries with it moral responsibility,To understand the gun is to better understand history.
-Tales of the Gun - 1999
-
WTB: FN FNC: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307024
-
C&R FFL Holder
shane545 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #59
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

It does not matter but it might be easier if it's bent since it might help with proper placement. Either way, just make sure the surface is wiped with alcohol. It helps to hit the area before with sandpaper to ensure there is no coating on the metal.

I would certainly mark them before applying any finish.

Use your practice pieces and have fun.

CLICK HERE!

Old 04-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #60
abukamoon

AKaholic #: 192381
Default serial number?

I will be ordering from you soon. I was wondering if you can also do serial numbers for Yugo M72 receiver?

As soon as I figure out what I need, I will post a list. I am a new member. How do I send payment to you?

thank you
abukamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #61
Toddbrooks515

AKaholic #: 191174

My attempt on a Romanian. I'm very satisfied with the results.

Toddbrooks515 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #62
chillypepper

AKaholic #: 176015

That looks well done. I do have some experience with electro etching, though I use a different style that costs a tad more. But, is way easier to screw up.

It really doesn't matter what method you use to get the results. For you first timers, remember that heat is the enemy. Soon as it gets warm to the touch, then stop and let it cool down.

I'm seeing lots of good work here with this and the potential is endless as long a stencil supply exists. There are many options for stencils as well. This type for one off or one at a time use is the cheapest and easiest.

I'd enjoy seeing more guys(and gals) results with etching.
chillypepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #63
Joey2tone

AKaholic #: 7580

Does it matter which type of salt is used. Iodized, sea or kosher? I'm guessing everyone is using iodized.....

Big Sky, Ft. Benning, & Gus Grissom AFB!

When you're right, you're wrong; when you're wrong, you're fawked!"
Joey2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #64
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2tone View Post
Does it matter which type of salt is used. Iodized, sea or kosher? I'm guessing everyone is using iodized.....
Doesn't matter. You could probably use gatoraide. It's got electrolytes. lol.

CLICK HERE!

Old 09-25-2017, 12:37 AM   #65
Joey2tone

AKaholic #: 7580

1/4 cup warm water
1 TSP Salt....? Teaspoon I'm guessing, otherwise it would be TBSP for tablespoon?

Big Sky, Ft. Benning, & Gus Grissom AFB!

When you're right, you're wrong; when you're wrong, you're fawked!"
Joey2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #66
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2tone View Post
1/4 cup warm water
1 TSP Salt....? Teaspoon I'm guessing, otherwise it would be TBSP for tablespoon?

Yes, TSP is teaspoon.

This is actually a very approximate amount. I've had open containers evaporate, leaving crystalized salt and I just added more water. Make sure to use the practice pieces. If you are not comfortable after the practice stage, send me a PM.

CLICK HERE!