Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2018, 11:42 PM   #1
RobertFootball
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 193636
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 778
Default Anyone ever heard of this AR make?

Saw these at the gun show I went to. They seemed super expensive for what they are, not to mention they seem like they’re trying to reinvent the wheel by changing the aluminum they use in the lowers and uppers. They’re made in South Carolina but I never heard of them.


https://dtwsarms.com/
RobertFootball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #2
Aceshigh
Lt Topper
 
Aceshigh's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5008
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SCIF
Posts: 15,393
Default

Quote:
• DTWS Arms 6061-T6 Billet Aluminum Thick-Wall Upper
• DTWS Arms 6061-T6 Billet Aluminum Lower
That is weaker then Mil-spec receiver material, but I forget how much % weaker.

http://shop.dtwsarms.com/dtws-arms/d...8-spc-33578017

Quote:
7075 Aluminum Alloy Applications
Because of its high strength-to-weight ratio and improved strength over 6061 alloys, 7075 is largely used in aerospace, marine and transportation industries where strength and light weight properties are critical.
As well as military specification receivers.
__________________


Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
RobertFootball
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 193636
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 778
Default

I did see that all the rifles they had at the show all had FailZero bcg’s In them. I just couldn’t get over the price. Their cheapest rifle (patrol) was $699. Seems the corners they cut to lower the price was all made up of the nice aftermarket parts they stuck on it.
RobertFootball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Tophat
Member
 
AKaholic #: 183033
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 385
Default

Never heard of them. They are pretty salty. The lowest priced one on the sight is 900 bucks. And with that you get nothing really. With colts going for 730.00, I guess I'm wondering why I would pay almost 200 more.

From the site, "Since believing the AR is a work of art . . ." O.o hmmm
Tophat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Aceshigh
Lt Topper
 
Aceshigh's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5008
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SCIF
Posts: 15,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophat View Post
The lowest priced one on the sight is 900 bucks. And with that you get nothing really.
With WASR's going for 550.00, I guess I'm wondering why I would pay almost 300 more.
EDITED

The same can be said of the AK realm with last few imports.

Marketing games to make people THINK they're getting something "higher tier" and they get lured in.....
__________________


Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 185972
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Outer Limits
Posts: 5,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFootball View Post
I did see that all the rifles they had at the show all had FailZero bcg’s In them. I just couldn’t get over the price. Their cheapest rifle (patrol) was $699. Seems the corners they cut to lower the price was all made up of the nice aftermarket parts they stuck on it.

For anyone coming in behind us later, Fail Zero issued a recall/ technical bulletin a year or two ago relating to improper staking of the gas key in its BCG. Easy enough to check prior to purchase. In some cases the marks are there, but the staking was just not well done (the staked metal is not "hugging" gas key)
__________________
Rev
Rev06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #7
virgil cole
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 102797
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: two egg
Posts: 5,724
Default

Wilson Combat is now selling AR-style guns with receivers made from billet aluminum 6061 . I can't hardly believe it . They will never see a penny of my money . If an outfit doesn't have the decency to at least follow TDP specifications then they don't get my money . 6061 is inferior to 7075 . 6061 is cheaper , softer , and easier to machine that is why these parasites use it .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
Tophat
Member
 
AKaholic #: 183033
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
EDITED

The same can be said of the AK realm with last few imports.

Marketing games to make people THINK they're getting something "higher tier" and they get lured in.....
You're preaching my sermon bro
Tophat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
raggedwhole!
Banned
 
AKaholic #: 172787
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Islamarxistan
Posts: 6,434
Default

6061. cheap cheap cheap.
raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #10
RobertFootball
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 193636
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
For anyone coming in behind us later, Fail Zero issued a recall/ technical bulletin a year or two ago relating to improper staking of the gas key in its BCG. Easy enough to check prior to purchase. In some cases the marks are there, but the staking was just not well done (the staked metal is not "hugging" gas key)
I saw that! I thought it was just me being ocd. The staking wasn’t touching at all on one side on both screws. What you said about the recall makes sense now because this had to have been an old bolt.
RobertFootball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
RobertFootball
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 193636
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 778
Default

I think the guy trying to sell me thought I was a dumbass because he went on at length about how 6061 was stronger and would prevent injury if the gun “blew up in your face”. I’ve never heard of an AR do that in my life, but ok bud.lol
RobertFootball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:54 PM   #12
Maadi
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 193622
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 564
Default

Never heard of them. I buy PSA.
Maadi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #13
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 183815
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Next Holler over From TNOutdoors9
Posts: 509
Default

Two brands I will never have..........Radical, and Bear Creek Armory. BC sells a $399 AR47. Pass.
__________________
Whammo sling shot with CT laser

Hi-Point AR47
Several Bi-Polar Glocks
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic
 
allesennogwat's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 3738
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 46,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
That is weaker then Mil-spec receiver material, but I forget how much % weaker.

http://shop.dtwsarms.com/dtws-arms/d...8-spc-33578017



As well as military specification receivers.
Military receivers made before 1968 are 6061 aluminum.

They are forged, not billet, but that doesn't make much difference with 6061 aluminum.


Most all non-Colt AR15 clones were made using 6061 billet when the patents first started expiring.

It wasn't until much more recently the 7075 forgings have been used for AR15 clones.

The early DPMS LR-308 lowers are billet 6061 aluminum with extruded 6066 aluminum uppers.
__________________
Daraclor: A brand of anti-malaria pills which we had to drink every week while on the border. Legend had it that these would make you turn yellow and that you wouldn't be able to tan.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The AK FIles