Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 01-31-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
Bakwa
Prophetic Marksman
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595
Default LAR-8 or M110?

Filers,

As some of you know, I've been [trying] to save up for a high end 308 M110 style rifle. I want a quality, company made, accurate platform with a reputation for such.

As I'm approaching the half way point of saving for it, I've been looking into other rifles that that seem like they'd be in the same league so far as accuracy and longevity of reliable function.
One being the RRA LAR-8 type. So one of these...
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....ategory_id=256
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....E81B27.cfusion
They advertise 1 MOA at 100yds which is nice.
But Larue, Wilson, GAP, and Les Baer 308's are known for far exceeding 1 MOA groups often.

Anyone have experience with the LAR-8 series? How is their function and accuracy in reality?

I don't want to stop half way there and end up at the LAR-8, to only regret it and sell it later in order to buy what I initially wanted for twice as much.
Edit: If someone made an accurized FAL that shot 1 MOA with good ammo, my decision would be so much easier.

Last edited by Bakwa; 01-31-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Bakwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

No experience with the LAR8 ,but plenty with the M110/SR25 and the Larue OBR. The Knights and the Larue are very good. The RRA I would guess is like all their ARs ok-middle of road.
The Knights if you want a rugged proven system, the Larue if you want a little more accuracy and a more civilian type gun. their chambers are usually F class
very tight -equaling very accurate. Pm me if you want more info.
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
burninglegs
Where we go one we go all

AKaholic #: 183372

I have been very happy with my LMT 308MWS so far. Great rifle and very accurate. It is equally as nice as the SR25 but much cheaper imo. LMT and KAC have a very close relationship/history. LaRue is also very nice.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

I am going to buy the Larue UU kit and get the matched lower to go with it. Probably going forward with the purchase within the next week or so...a birthday gift of sorts...to myself. For the money and the real world accuracy...its a no brainer.

Buy once, cry once...makes everything worth the wait.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
JFK

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."
Renov8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renov8 View Post
I am going to buy the Larue UU kit and get the matched lower to go with it. Probably going forward with the purchase within the next week or so...a birthday gift of sorts...to myself. For the money and the real world accuracy...its a no brainer.

Buy once, cry once...makes everything worth the wait.
Great decision. For $1500 it is the best .308 AR you can get now. Bar none. It is on my short list. I'm just waiting for MLOK handgaurd to be offered in the UU kit as I can't stand keymod.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
billydonk
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183419

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Great decision. For $1500 it is the best .308 AR you can get now. Bar none. It is on my short list. I'm just waiting for MLOK handgaurd to be offered in the UU kit as I can't stand keymod.
I spoke with Dan at Larue and was told to specify mlok in the comments section of the order and they would send mlok. Larue stated he had started mlok on arfcom as well.

BOOM!
billydonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

Quote:
After checking out that post where you referenced this as being available in a kit, the decisio was made. I am not sure which rail to go with..Not really a fan of either the keymod or Mlock...I am a bit of a traditionalist I guess. Only putting a Vortex scope and an Atlas or LRA bipod on rifle.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
JFK

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."
Renov8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonk View Post
I spoke with Dan at Larue and was told to specify mlok in the comments section of the order and they would send mlok. Larue stated he had started mlok on arfcom as well.

BOOM!
For real? Wow, that is awesome news! Last I had heard on arfcom was that MLOK was coming but they didn't know when they would be able to offer it for the UU kit. So if they are doing that now, that is awesome news.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:52 PM   #9
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Quote:
I have been very happy with my LMT 308MWS so far. Great rifle and very accurate. It is equally as nice as the SR25 but much cheaper imo. LMT and KAC have a very close relationship/history. LaRue is also very nice.
LMT is a very good product as well.
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy72 View Post
LMT is a very good product as well.
Yup. SR25 and LMT 308 are the two best .308 ARs on the market right now.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 AM   #11
Bakwa
Prophetic Marksman
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
That's news.
This over testing a LAR-8 any day.
Kind of excited now. I hate keymod. That was seriously the only thing holding me back from the UU kit.
Only one more month of saving now.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 PM   #12
mostholycerebys
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165655

If I was gonna go large-frame, LaRue. But after handling a small-frame I cant go back. So much lighter and maneuverable.
'We have peace. And its rare. And its amazing that we have it. We shouldnt take it for granted. Because the normal order of things is destructive chaos. Things can get absolutely monstrous, and there's always a fraction of the population who thinks that's how they'd like things to be, and perhaps theres a fraction of you that's like that too. I wouldn't nurture that fragment unless you want to KNOW where it will take you.' - J. Peterson, clinical psychologist and professor
mostholycerebys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 AM   #13
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostholycerebys View Post
If I was gonna go large-frame, LaRue. But after handling a small-frame I cant go back. So much lighter and maneuverable.
Which small frame did you play with? POF?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #14
mostholycerebys
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165655

Quote:
Which small frame did you play with? POF?
I handled a few of the DPMS GII, bought a Bull and will be upgrading to a Rainier Ultramatch barrel this year. I've also handled the Savage MSR10 which is a better deal out-the-box if you are happy with the build. I went DPMS because at the time it was the only one out, and I wanted to change so much that I just grabbed the cheapest one. Very nice tho.
'We have peace. And its rare. And its amazing that we have it. We shouldnt take it for granted. Because the normal order of things is destructive chaos. Things can get absolutely monstrous, and there's always a fraction of the population who thinks that's how they'd like things to be, and perhaps theres a fraction of you that's like that too. I wouldn't nurture that fragment unless you want to KNOW where it will take you.' - J. Peterson, clinical psychologist and professor
mostholycerebys is online now   Reply With Quote