Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 03-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #36
stolenheron

AKaholic #: 197388

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstokes1 View Post
Yeah I think this will be my next shotgun. Have my eye on one right now. EDIT: found one barely used on armslist that was barely used plus had all of the extras I was looking for (light w/ pressure switch, extended tube, and shell caddy) for $850 shipped. It was a great deal and the great guy to deal with, should have it in early next week.
awesome, sounds like a good deal. I assume it was a Gen 1?
stolenheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #37
ThirdWatcher

AKaholic #: 45387

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGuy View Post
... Thinking of adding an FN SLP or a Benelli M2 as well.
I donít have a Benelli M2 (only have an M4) but I do have an FN SLP and it is a very nice shotgun.
ThirdWatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #38
stolenheron

Today's 1301 Range Report and Update: A Choke and FliteControl Discussion:

Finally had a chance to get back out of the range today with the 1301T. After recently snagging 4 Beretta extended OptimaChoke HP Chokes (Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full) during their President’s Day Sale, I was itching to see how the gun would pattern with the variety of a shells I had on hand.

My buddy and I set out some targets at 5, 7, 10, and 25 yards to test out our scatterguns. As expected, the Beretta extended chokes performed as advertised with a variety of bird shot; opening or tightening the grouping depending on choke selection. Buckshot was a bit trickier; we had several brands, but all were 9 pellet 00 loadings. With bulk Monarch brand buckshot, groupings were difficult to pin down, with tighter cylinders creating tighter groupings at close range, but then widening drastically only a few 3 yards further at the next down range target. For example, with a Full choke the Monarch 00 grouped was just as wide at 10 yards as it did with an IC choke, but at 5 yards there was an appreciably tighter group with the Full choke by comparison. Seems counter intuitive, but ammo quality, shot size, pellet count, choke, etc are interacting variables which highly the importance of patterning your gun.

This is where the Federal FliteControl comes in. What does my buddy pull out of his range bag? A fat stack of 5 count boxes of FliteControl 00 9 shot 2 ĺ” buckshot. I have been unable to find any locally and wanted to try some out first hand before ordering a case (or two) online. I slapped the IC choke in the 1301 (which seemed to group best overall with the other buck shot we were trying out) and fired at the 7, 10, and 25-yard targets. Group size was impressive with barely over 2” at 7, 4” at 10, and 6” at 25yards, the FliteControl lived up to its reputation as the tightest grouping buck loads out there thanks to its wonderful cupped wad design. By comparison, the other buckshot we fired grouped about 6”, 8”, and 12” at the same respective distances, making FliteControl the clear winner.

I also had a box of Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote with Vertatite Wad (3” 00) which we tried. The Versatite wad has a similar function to the FliteControl wad, and as a result performed quite similarly at 7, and 10 yards. At 25 yards the shot seemed to be a few inches larger than the FliteControl grouping however. Overall, I think the Heavy Magnum loads performed quite well, but at nearly twice the price per shell of the Federal.

With another 100 shells down the tubes today (50 bird shot, 15 slugs, 35 buckshot), I am enjoying my 1301T more and more with each trip to the range. This platform is a pleasure to shoot and has exceeded my expectations in every way thus far. More updates to come with the next outing.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #39
jstokes1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169998

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenheron View Post
awesome, sounds like a good deal. I assume it was a Gen 1?
Yeah it’s a gen 1. I’m fine with that because I have a benelli M4 that’s threaded. With how expensive the barreled assemblies are, I’d just rather buy a whole new shotgun instead.

Last edited by jstokes1; 03-10-2019 at 12:42 PM.
jstokes1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #40
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

AKaholic #: 5008

Anyone interested in a 1201 FP Beretta PM me.

There's 1 pristine one looking for a new home in the $500 range.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #41
stolenheron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Anyone interested in a 1201 FP Beretta PM me.

There's 1 pristine one looking for a new home in the $500 range.
toss it up in the marketplace. it will sell. For me personally, any shotgun I've ever listed for sale has sold faster than any rifle, no idea why lol.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #42
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

I ordered a Mesa side saddle for my 1301 Tactical LE today, looks like a good upgrade, I like Mesa Tactical products, I have several for my Mossbergs

https://mesatactical.com/sureshell-a...ll-12-ga-3-in/
Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #43
stolenheron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
I ordered a Mesa side saddle for my 1301 Tactical LE today, looks like a good upgrade, I like Mesa Tactical products, I have several for my Mossbergs

it looks like the replacement 1913 rail on top is higher with the mesa tactical setup.

I am holding out for an Aridus CROM setup when I work up the funds to co-witness an optic. I am not sure if I will go with their universal side saddle setup or go cheap with the shotcard setup.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #44
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Quote:

I have the Mesa tactical side saddle for my benelli M4 and itís a quality part for sure.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #45
ThirdWatcher

AKaholic #: 45387

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstokes1 View Post
I have the Mesa tactical side saddle for my benelli M4 and itís a quality part for sure.
+1. Iíll second that, got one on my M4 too.
ThirdWatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #46
jstokes1
Veteran Member

As always, having issues with the post office. Package is suppose to be here today, but the tracking has not updated in 3 days and seems to be stuck at the sorting facility in Des Moines, IO.. which apparently has a horrible reputation of losing packages. I'll be fuckin pissed if they "lose" this gun. They have 2 more days before I call the ATF in that area given the reputation of that particular location.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #47
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

I ordered the 1301 shell carrier from Mesa Tactical this past Sunday and it was delivered today Wednesday. As with the other stuff that I have gotten from them it is very well designed and made. I highly recommend Mesa Tactical for your combat shotgun needs and they moved out of God forsaken California and are in Reno NV. Sometimes you really need to buy accessories and upgrades when you see that they are in stock or you might miss the chance for a little bit.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #48
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Quote:
I ordered the 1301 shell carrier from Mesa Tactical this past Sunday and it was delivered today Wednesday. As with the other stuff that I have gotten from them it is very well designed and made. I highly recommend Mesa Tactical for your combat shotgun needs and they moved out of God forsaken California and are in Reno NV. Sometimes you really need to buy accessories and upgrades when you see that they are in stock or you might miss the chance for a little bit.

Can you do me a favor? Can you weigh you shotgun with a full tube in the current configuration and tell me the weight?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #49
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

jstokes, the weight of my 1301 LE Tactical with a loaded side saddle and full tube mag of #4 buck is 9.4 pounds