Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #36
lostintejas
Grumpy Old Man

AKaholic #: 183194

I saw some K rations, I ate a lot of C rations, and was horrified with the first generation MRE's. Dehydrated everything and botulism to boot. They were pretty bad. We could heat the C rations, but had to boil water for the MRE's, good luck with that one.
The newer ones are palatable and have a heater for the main course, that would have been nice. LOL
Old 05-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #37
David Teague
Moderator and Shitlord

AKaholic #: 162037

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman View Post
This guy ate some civil war hardtack!

Now that is my gggrandfathers combat ration.

http://www.novarata.net/images/n/teague-sigpic-357.jpg
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #38
Steve_In_29
Semper Fi

AKaholic #: 183727

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjerkson View Post
Grandpa used to give us these when we were little, though he'd always take the cigarettes. Dad said they would have an army veterinarian inspect and sign off on extending the expiration date. guess they did that with the meds too, like there was still a lot of aspirin from the 50's.
To be accurate, while the Army's Food Inspectors fall under (for who knows what reason) the Veterinary Corps they are not veterinarians.
Steve_In_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #39
FangedRabbit
Professional Lurker

AKaholic #: 170724

That was really interesting for such a "bland" video.
FangedRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:18 AM   #40
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

When I was a kid my Uncle was in the guard.. (just at the end of the Vietnam era). He gave me some of his rations once. Came in a cardboard box similar to the ww2 box.. had some cardboard crackers, an olive drab can of peaches which tasted ok and an olive drab can of spaghetti that made chef boy-r-dee a fine dinning experience.

I had a couple left over that Imhad been saving/collecting that I think my mom threw out when I went to college.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:20 AM   #41
maceace

AKaholic #: 171834

Growing up in Europe in the 80's, I had an uncle who was a lt colonel in the Yugo army, and I used to spend few weeks out of the summer in the city he was stationed in. One year, during a military drill in one of the local WWI battle lines in the hills, they found a case of canned french beef. We all ate some and it was actually pretty delicious, even being 70 yrs old at the time...
maceace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:31 AM   #42
BeerScout

AKaholic #: 182989

Nice!

I've been watching this guy for a long time. Odd that a guy sampling MRE's is so interesting and entertaining.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #43
HAL-9000
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 157339

Ate a lot of C's, Never enough food though in the C's had to eat 2 or 3 to get full. I liked the way everything fit together, round John Wayne crackers the meat was round sliced as well even the candy was round. I remember the first of the MRE's, I didn't think they were bad, the dried fruit stuff use to just crack me up. The BBQ beef was like a piece of shoe leather, but either that or nothing.
My Dad has several opinions of the food from WWI, much like the common opinion of Meals refused by Ethiopians. HA!
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #44
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerScout View Post
I've been watching this guy for a long time. Odd that a guy sampling MRE's is so interesting and entertaining.
The "entertaining" part folks are watching for is the part where he gets something that either majorly f**ks him up and/or kills him.

If you watch some of his other videos, he's very well aware he's playing Russian roulette.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #45
DOS AK's
Stay Loaded My Friends.

AKaholic #: 177786

Great video!
DOS AK's is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #46
Thruxton-Texas
Becoming a stranger in my own land

AKaholic #: 174649

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rebel View Post
His voice and intonation somehow remind me of Bob Ross.
So it wasn't just my imagination! I was waiting to hear him say something like. "That was a strong hiss. Let's try some of this happy botulism!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
The "entertaining" part folks are watching for is the part where he gets something that either majorly f**ks him up and/or kills him.

If you watch some of his other videos, he's very well aware he's playing Russian roulette.
Even Evel Knievel wore a helmet and leathers when he jumped. He seems picky about what he actually eats out of those rations, and doesn't eat much of it. He definitely doesn't come across as some half-wit, hold-my-beer, neckbeard type. I wonder if there's any "collector value" being lost when he dissects these military rations? Are they really collectable if kept intact? ........James.
Thruxton-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #47
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

AKaholic #: 179450

I used to pass on old rations when I saw them on tables at gun shows. Now I'm sure I'll be buying the damn things.

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #48
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruxton-Texas View Post
Even Evel Knievel wore a helmet and leathers when he jumped. He seems picky about what he actually eats out of those rations, and doesn't eat much of it. He definitely doesn't come across as some half-wit, hold-my-beer, neckbeard type. I wonder if there's any "collector value" being lost when he dissects these military rations? Are they really collectable if kept intact? ........James.
It broke my heart watching him eat that priceless Nazi chocolate.

"This is the best chocolate I've ever had" - no shit, Sherlock.

It was priceless.

When he opened the Nazi cigarettes, PFFFFFT! Thousands of dollars sliced from the value with each cut . . .
Old 05-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #49
Thruxton-Texas

Quote:

It was priceless.

When he opened the Nazi cigarettes, PFFFFFT! Thousands of dollars sliced from the value with each cut . . .

Technically speaking, chocolate and ciggie-butts don't usually have political ideologies; how can they be "Nazi"?

Since sarcasm is just one of the many services that you offer, it's hard to tell whether you're being serious about the collectability of old military rations. My last two questions were on the level.

Some of the craziest things become "collectable"; why not inedible, ancient military rations? I have a buddy in Georgia who collects Hot Wheel cars; he combs the flea-markets every chance he gets. Yeah, it takes all kinds to make a world. But the one recurring idea is; you mustn't take them out of the original packaging, or it loses value. I seems that would hold true for old military rations as well. ...........James.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #50
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruxton-Texas View Post
Technically speaking, chocolate and ciggie-butts don't usually have political ideologies; how can they be "Nazi"?

Since sarcasm is just one of the many services that you offer, it's hard to tell whether you're being serious about the collectability of old military rations. My last two questions were on the level.

Some of the craziest things become "collectable"; why not inedible, ancient military rations? I have a buddy in Georgia who collects Hot Wheel cars; he combs the flea-markets every chance he gets. Yeah, it takes all kinds to make a world. But the one recurring idea is; you mustn't take them out of the original packaging, or it loses value. I seems that would hold true for old military rations as well. ...........James.
As a rule of thumb, anything related to Nazi Germany is collectible.

Further, "disposable" items ( like these ration components ) are even more collectible ( as they were not meant to be kept around ), and the condition of the disposable item will determine its value.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #51
Thruxton-Texas

Fair enough! I'd assume that US rations, while not in the same league as the German made stuff, are also potentially collectable. Military ration collecting seems more relevant to actual history than Hot Wheel cars or Beanie Babies. .........James.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #52
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor

AKaholic #: 73701

One of the men who worked for me years ago was a Marine draftee during Viet-Nam and a smoker. I think he told me that Chesterfields were the cigarette brand in their rations.

I've had them - once. I am not sure that brand is made anymore and that is fine with me. If I am going to puff a cigarette I insist on the real thing such as a Camel or Lucky Strike. Neither contains vegetable fillers and flavoring chemicals. Classic American cigarettes done correctly.

Ing. Robert Forbus, International
Tools & Solutions For The Safe Disassembly & Assembly Of Your Kalashnikova Variant
Email - Robert.Forbus@robertforbus.com
Please do not use the PM system here to contact me!
Website - https://www.robertforbus.com

Tennessee Firearms Association member
Gun Owners of America Member
NRA member
Patriot Guard Rider

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge...Stupidity is a commitment to ignorance. The first is easily remedied with facts...The second cannot be fixed...
Rforbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #53
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor

AKaholic #: 73701

Quote:
As a rule of thumb, anything related to Nazi Germany is collectible.

Further, "disposable" items ( like these ration components ) are even more collectible ( as they were not meant to be kept around ), and the condition of the disposable item will determine its value.
One would think all these things are discovered, and I am sure most of them are. Still, relics from that era do surface occasionally.

To a smaller extent, for some collectors it is kind of like items marked "West Germany" these days.

Ing. Robert Forbus, International
Tools & Solutions For The Safe Disassembly & Assembly Of Your Kalashnikova Variant
Email - Robert.Forbus@robertforbus.com
Please do not use the PM system here to contact me!
Website - https://www.robertforbus.com

Tennessee Firearms Association member
Gun Owners of America Member
NRA member
Patriot Guard Rider

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge...Stupidity is a commitment to ignorance. The first is easily remedied with facts...The second cannot be fixed...
Rforbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #54
ColonelKorn
Certified Certifier

AKaholic #: 6198

My great-great grandfather was a doctor during the 1861-65 thing that was called a civil war. He probably ate lots of beans and pork products.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #55
glockamolee

AKaholic #: 5319

Quote:
. . . and some of the military guys ate them all the way into the '80s, too ( God help them ).
I had C rations for about a month in 1983. By summer of 84, it was MREs.
glockamolee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #56
rgjerkson

AKaholic #: 159687

Quote:

It was priceless.

I dunno, the experience of actually eating it probably outweighs the dollar value. He can take that taste to heaven with him. Money, well not so much.
rgjerkson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #57
Broncowilly
JUST ME

AKaholic #: 168424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rforbus View Post
One of the men who worked for me years ago was a Marine draftee during Viet-Nam and a smoker. I think he told me that Chesterfields were the cigarette brand in their rations.

I've had them - once. I am not sure that brand is made anymore and that is fine with me. If I am going to puff a cigarette I insist on the real thing such as a Camel or Lucky Strike. Neither contains vegetable fillers and flavoring chemicals. Classic American cigarettes done correctly.
It all depended on the C-rat you got. I remember Chesterfields, Camel, Lucky Strike, Pall Mall and Benson and Hedges.

Dad bought a ton of these things back in the day and my brother and I took them to school for lunch until we were caught with the smokes.

It won't be long, 2 Timothy 3:1-5

Quote:
Each shall seek his own kind". In other words, a bird may love a fish... but where would they build a home together?
~Tevye
Broncowilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #58
paratrooper101
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 4790

Just shows how crappy we manufacture "food" today. Bag of cookies turns to cardboard after a week.
paratrooper101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #59
TexasDave
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156092

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGrant View Post
That's cool. Always been intrigued on how the issue meals have evolved over the years.

I'm actually putting together my own "rations", and experimenting with boxes and components to put in them. Not for year after year storage but easy/quick to grab meal boxes for my motorbike trips,etc. Something cheaper than MRE's.
I decided a couple years ago to start stocking the foods I enjoy eating in one of my spare bedroom closets.

I would say that I eat out of it about 3 days a week, with another 2 days off fresh food in my fridge / freezer, and typically a couple nights meeting my wife for sushi after the gym or grabbing a jimmy johns Un-wich on the way home.

This evening I ate the leftovers of a can of turkey, half a package of tasty bites mushroom masala, and curry rice from a meal I made a couple of nights ago. Toss in a bit of fresh yogurt and some hot pepper extract and its gangbusters.

As I watched the K ration video, I could only imagine someone finding my indian food heavy emergency stores and eating like a King for a few months.

I don't have any cigarettes put away, but all the emergency potato vodka and bourbon is a close second for medicinal comfort I suppose haha.

I think it is great that you are thinking about this stuff and projecting the need for personalize food stocks for different situations. These were issues of primary importance to our ancestors, and really a niche interest nowadays.

-Dave
TexasDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #60
stoney
Contributor

AKaholic #: 48

'57-'61 C-rats Luckys were green
Old 05-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #61
Il Cattivo

AKaholic #: 180088

So if anybody knows, how well does the tobacco in the cigarettes hold up over time?
Il Cattivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #62
bushman
BENEVOLENTI MODERATORIS

AKaholic #: 3819

Watch the dude's videos, man. He reviews everything, including the smokes.

Geez. -TYFOON-
bushman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #63
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

I believe Chesterfield cigarettes are still being made . Never consume anything out of a can that has rust on it .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #64
Shadow Walker
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 10055

Don't know what these were called, but I ate a canned steak packed in 1942 when we were in 70 ft+ seas, and the cooks couldn't cook. The steak was same age as me, and it was good!!!

Had to eat with my left leg wrapped around the table leg (table was attached to the floor), my left arm wrapped around the tray, and my drink in my left hand. It was difficult to eat, and still not slide across the room. Ah! Those were the days. NOT!!

Of course, the first MRE's that came out were REALLY BAD!!! I ate a "SPICED" (something or other) MRE, and then I ate a half bottle of ROLAIDS! The Rolaids didn't work, and I was in pain until sometime the next day. I really wanted the C Rations back. One weekend my wife used two different C Rations and a hot plate....and turned out a really good meal. Seriously!!

Last edited by Shadow Walker; 05-19-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Shadow Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #65
Broncowilly
JUST ME

AKaholic #: 168424

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
'57-'61 C-rats Luckys were green
If Luckys from that time frame were green then they were repackaged and pre 1942. Lucky Strikes packaging went white soon after WWII started. Green was needed to dye clothing and such.

It won't be long, 2 Timothy 3:1-5

Quote:
Each shall seek his own kind". In other words, a bird may love a fish... but where would they build a home together?
~Tevye
Broncowilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #66
Claymore
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 186415

Would have been my grandad's. He hated how he had to eat them cold most of the time...

"Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis"
Death to Antifa.
Claymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:32 AM   #67
greendevil41

AKaholic #: 8106

When I was a kid my dad had worked for the army as a contractor and we used to eat K-rats when we went camping. Later in the army I ate C-rats, T-rats, LRRPS, first issue brown bag MRE's and now the newer tan bag stuff. I still have a green bag LRRP ration. Damn, I never thought any of it would be collectible.
greendevil41 is offline   Reply With Quote