Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 01-27-2018, 12:02 AM   #1
Tsh77769

AKaholic #: 2668
Default AR mag adapters...

I recently bought an unconverted sporter SAIGA .223 / 5.56 with the hopes of having it worked over by Definitive Arms to use AR mags.

Sadly they are not taking work.

What would be your alternative suggestions?

I do not need last round hold open or manual bolt lock. That would be nice but not required.

My main interest in Definitive Arms was the quality and ease of mag insertion.

Tsh77769
Tsh77769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:42 AM   #2
Noodle_2000

AKaholic #: 192156

May be worth sending this gentleman a PM

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...ht=mag+adapter

I haven’t used his adapters or know of anyone who has.
Noodle_2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:45 AM   #3
Mahdimadness76

AKaholic #: 178163

I don’t know what Canis designs wait time is these days or if they are taking orders right now, but the adapter looks good and fits pmags nice and tight... I haven’t fit mine to my rifle yet, so can’t speak on that.
Mahdimadness76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Horse
Veteran Member
Vendor

AKaholic #: 146752

Personally I’d wait for Definitive Arms. (It’s what I AM doing)
Old 01-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Is Definitive even up and running yet ???

I thought they moved in with MAC @ Copper Customs to build a joint venture Sept 2016 or something.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
556ak

AKaholic #: 183311

well any options for an slr 106 because definitive refuses to work on them now even when they do open back up and im not paying 60 bucks a mag
556ak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #7
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

I'm in the same boat. I'm trading for a Saiga in 223 this weekend. I would like to have an adaptor to run AR mags but I'm not entirely against Tapco Galil mags either. They worked fine in my Golani Sporter. Bump for more options.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
aresshrike

AKaholic #: 180010

"I need a cheaper hobby..." - Amen, brother!!

Yes, the only options for that Russian, or Bulgarian 5.56 are the Circle 10, or the Polish Beryl mags.
I've got a Canis Designs mag adapter, permanent install type, that I've decided not to use on my SLR-106's, instead I got a bunch of the Beryl mags off of the Gunbroker site listed above, Genuine-Militaria_eu. Great guy to deal with, and much better price than the Circle 10 mags. Additionally, they're actual military issue mags.
You try to modify some other 5.56 mags to work, but I'd never do it, I don't want some round hitting the chamber face, and going deeper into the case, and blowing my face off when it ignites.
$40 a mag is pretty expensive, but, it's your best option.(I'm referring to the Beryl mags on gunbroker, and he's got plenty)
aresshrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #9
JoeCorrado
FNG

I have a bunch of circle 10 mags already for my SAM5. I just figured I would get an AR adaptor for the Saiga because I have quite a few of those mags already. Would be an excuse to get more since they're cheap in comparison to other mags. I try to have at least 10 per rifle type.

If you know of a cheaper hobby, I'm all ears. I was big into cars, then motorcycles, then SCUBA diving and now guns. If I had real money I guess I could move onto boats or airplanes but I highly doubt I'll have that problem.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:21 AM   #10
Fboutsis13

AKaholic #: 182474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle_2000 View Post
May be worth sending this gentleman a PM

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...ht=mag+adapter

I haven’t used his adapters or know of anyone who has.

I just received 2 of mine that i ordered....machining work is spot on....Installing 1 on my SLR-106UR, then can't decide if the other is going on the 16" saiga, or my 12.5" saiga "105 clone"....plan on doing a review once i'm done.....I was going to take mine to definitive arms when they were down here in FL, because it was only 15 min away to drive....now all the guys down here who were told they could bring their rifles in got the SHAFT....I think good ole MAC just sucked him in and has a nice little pawn now....sad sad day for the gunshine state :-(
Fboutsis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:48 AM   #11
Noodle_2000

AKaholic #: 192156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fboutsis13 View Post
I just received 2 of mine that i ordered....machining work is spot on....Installing 1 on my SLR-106UR, then can't decide if the other is going on the 16" saiga, or my 12.5" saiga "105 clone"....plan on doing a review once i'm done.....I was going to take mine to definitive arms when they were down here in FL, because it was only 15 min away to drive....now all the guys down here who were told they could bring their rifles in got the SHAFT....I think good ole MAC just sucked him in and has a nice little pawn now....sad sad day for the gunshine state :-(
A review would be much appreciated!
Noodle_2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #12
JoeCorrado
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle_2000 View Post
A review would be much appreciated!
Agreed! They just look so odd on an AK and I guess that's part of my hesitation with them.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #13
Gaddywack
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 166488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Is Definitive even up and running yet ???

I thought they moved in with MAC @ Copper Customs to build a joint venture Sept 2016 or something.
They are, but I don't think its full force yet. Last week they released some Romey G kit builds and they sold out in a matter of hours. Price was <900. They are listed on Copper Custom website. Looked typical DA....which is always pretty darn good.

DA is coming out with a .223 AK with the their AR mag adapter. That is all I know. Don't know when or what parts its made from....just that they are working on it. They are also working on a FS adjustable GB combo.
Gaddywack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsh77769 View Post
Find a Yugo M90NP or take a gamble with PSA when they release their 5.56 AK.
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #15
JoeCorrado
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
Find a Yugo M90NP or take a gamble with PSA when they release their 5.56 AK.
Well only about 2k of those were imported so they aren't all that abundant. He already has a Saiga so going to another rifle is kinda stupid and the same is true for me. A PSA AK is hard pass as well because of their past history of issues not to mention buying another rifle like previously stated. I've seen ads that stated that guns have adaptors installed but they don't say the manufacturer.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:59 AM   #16
savagebrother

AKaholic #: 162509

Man where were you guys when zastava was making M90np. Mine works great and is very accurate and used every mag I have tried in it.
SB
Old 02-10-2018, 04:27 AM   #17
Fboutsis13

Yea I'll definitely do a review!!....see i was hesitant about looks also, but seeing that my baby slr-106ur goes with me on every trip i go on....i figured i would rather have ease of having cheap pmags laying around and function over looks on it....that's why i bought the 2nd adapter....if i can take the way it looks, then i'm putting it on one of my other saiga .223's....i already have a definitve arms vepr....and to be honest....if you don't need LRBHO, then this should definitely be a good option....it should be all done in about 2 or 3 weeks because i'm busy as hell lately
Old 02-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #18
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahdimadness76 View Post
I donít know what Canis designs wait time is these days or if they are taking orders right now, but the adapter looks good and fits pmags nice and tight... I havenít fit mine to my rifle yet, so canít speak on that.
I wouldn't trust CANIS, I have ordered from them and then had to file chargeback. They don't care about their customers. Scam
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #19
JoeCorrado
FNG

I think I'm going to try and be patient and wait for Definitive Arms to take in work again. Then again I might just put a bullet guide in if I grow impatient.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #20
turbothis
Vendor

AKaholic #: 11101

i am trying to get a kanis to fit a nds-2sf with a 74 krink kit and it is not coming together very well at all
side release hits the trigger gaurd rivets - milled that down
cut as far as i want to go into the locking lugs and the adapter is still about an 1/8" too low to the receiver
front feed ramp has tiny screws that are about stripped out when i got it new
thinking of tig welding that together

http://mygunsnorthwest.com/

07 manufacture ffl
turbothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:30 AM   #21
mullicrk
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169520

I wish someone would produce a good copy of the Galil Adapter like UZI America had....
Old 02-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #22
Fboutsis13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado View Post
I think I'm going to try and be patient and wait for Definitive Arms to take in work again. Then again I might just put a bullet guide in if I grow impatient.
I've been trying to be patient with Definitive Arms also...now since those adjustable gas blocks are available, all the guys that have their rifles there for mag adapters are now asking "since my rifle is there for the mag upgrade, would it be possible to install the adjustable gas block so i don't have to send my rifle in again"......and as soon as that started happening, we all became even more f*cked.....I just don't get their system, they keep telling everyone, "oh just wait for updates on our social media for when we're taking new orders"....they've been saying that from before they moved out of my area down here in FL....It's like a magical system where no one knows anyone who got their rifle in to them for a new order, yet they're always swamped somehow....I also heard their new facility was ALL over the place in terms of organization, and they didn't have a system down...that was last month i heard this from someone that went up to visit DA at copper custom....i still have a rifle ready to go and sat it aside for that day to come, but in the mean time i've said screw it in terms of hoping they're taking orders soon, and have gone different routes since then with my other .223/556 AKs
Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #23
crashmaniac
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 74946

Im putting an Slr-106F on layaway here soon, It will obviously be sans optics rail so I will try my first ultimak I think soni can fold it. Im going to get one of the above mentioned adapters if hes still taking orders then, Just wish it was more removable. Im not gonna install it at least not right away, Just use the proper rock’n locks, until such time as its nonlonger feasable to do so. No gonna be to keen on milling the trunnion to get it in there.
"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ
crashmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #24
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado View Post
Well only about 2k of those were imported so they aren't all that abundant. He already has a Saiga so going to another rifle is kinda stupid and the same is true for me. A PSA AK is hard pass as well because of their past history of issues not to mention buying another rifle like previously stated. I've seen ads that stated that guns have adaptors installed but they don't say the manufacturer.
Well the OP wants a 5.56 AK that takes AR mags, guaranteed.

Those are the only options available unless he wants to spend big money on a Galil ACE. Everything else is a gamble including the AR adapters which are non-existent. No one else but Definitive Arms is messing with them.

People who want 5.56 AK's better learn to accept them for the expensive mags they use because finding them using AR mags is extremely limited with very little options if any at all.
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #25
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

See what PSA comes out with.
Modify a M85 PV or NP
Find a M90 PAP
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:40 PM   #26
JoeCorrado
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsh77769 View Post
I recently bought an unconverted sporter SAIGA .223 / 5.56 with the hopes of having it worked over by Definitive Arms to use AR mags.

Sadly they are not taking work.

I do not need last round hold open or manual bolt lock. That would be nice but not required.

My main interest in Definitive Arms was the quality and ease of mag insertion.

Tsh77769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
Well the OP wants a 5.56 AK that takes AR mags, guaranteed.

Those are the only options available unless he wants to spend big money on a Galil ACE. Everything else is a gamble including the AR adapters which are non-existent. No one else but Definitive Arms is messing with them.

People who want 5.56 AK's better learn to accept them for the expensive mags they use because finding them using AR mags is extremely limited with very little options if any at all.
Looks to me like he already bought a Saiga to me.