Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
Barn Owl

AKaholic #: 195121
Default Something that I'm surprised that more AKs never adopted...

...Is the method that Valmet/Sako used to retain the dust cover by having it dovetail into the rear receiver/rear trunnion. I understand that it would take a tooling change for making that shelf and they'd also have to rivet or bond a reinforcement piece on the lower rear of the dust cover, but I haven't heard many if any complaints about Valmets or Galils having problems with holding zero with dust cover iron sights at least.

Is this as case of not invented here, or have others opted for other solutions?

Closest equivilant I've seen is the AK-12 series that's in production now, but that uses a SKS-like pin that holds the front of the cover into the RSB.
Barn Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
45hogleg

AKaholic #: 194961

Some hardcore AK fans may consider these as blasphemous mods, but they really do work to improve the sight picture by lengthening the radius. Also hold zero without any problems, as they're not mounted to the dust cover. PIA to remove compared to factory dust cover though. Sort of turns an AK into a poor man's Valmet:

http://www.tech-sights.com/ak-products/
45hogleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Barn Owl

I'd rather have the Valmet/Galil set up, though that would take more changes, especially for production.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
WinterWar
Cpl, Infantry rifleman, FDF reserve

AKaholic #: 190784

Later versions of Sako made AK-variants military RK95 (no more Valmets at that point anymore, they were bought by Sako late 80s) and civilian M92S also have a tightening screw on the rearside of the receiver to further tightening the cover.

Some Yugos (my OPAP at least) have a pin on the side of the receiver to lock that cover in place, although those have traditional AK sights, that pin is added because of ability to shoot rifle grenades so the cover won't blow off...In my OPAP that seems to be quite good method of locking the cover in place, to be honest I like it more than the screw on my Sako M92S...

Finland 100 years 12/6/2017
WinterWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
Barn Owl

Just trying to say that the Valmet/Sako solution seems to work pretty well for something so simple, even without the ratcheting screw or any detent buttons.

Sights themselves on Valmets and Sako rifles are pretty good themselves too IMO.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
NMGuy
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 182584

Sako doesn't make any junk. Their bolt action hunting rifles are world renown as some of the absolute best. Their machining is absolutely beautiful and their rifles perform flawlessly.

I wish they imported more of their AK rifles....

I'm a big fan of the bolt actions they make though. Lapua is also from Finland if y'all didn't know.
NMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
WinterWar
Cpl, Infantry rifleman, FDF reserve

AKaholic #: 190784

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGuy View Post

I wish they imported more of their AK rifles....

Well you guys didn't buy that many Valmet AK-variants back when they were available new, that's why there is so few in USA...And then the AWB/import ban etc bullcrap came along so Sako didn't even have a chance to import M92S versions since they were banned...And now there is no production or even production line anymore so...You are SOL.

Finland 100 years 12/6/2017
WinterWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
Steve_In_29
Semper Fi

AKaholic #: 183727

I installed a Texas Weapons System railed top cover on my Saiga. Works well enough at holding zero with an EOTech mounted on it.
Steve_In_29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #9
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

If it works, thats all i care about.

These work very well.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWar View Post
Well you guys didn't buy that many Valmet AK-variants back when they were available new, that's why there is so few in USA...And then the AWB/import ban etc bullcrap came along so Sako didn't even have a chance to import M92S versions since they were banned...And now there is no production or even production line anymore so...You are SOL.
In our defense, however, these came in during a time when the vast majority of gun owners here were Fudds connected with the "if it ain't American it is garbage and you are a traitor for buying from anywhere else" mantra.

There was no internet back then so our only available information on these guns were books, magazines, or your local LGS, the latter two highly biased towards American hunting guns in general so they would completely ignore or downplay the Valmet.

Only positive article I can think of from that era about the Valmet was the 1986 Alaskan State Trooper Test where it was one of three rifles that didn't jam whatsoever. Even then it only got third place.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
Barn Owl

Not to mention that I think the Finnish Government/Finnish Army own the IP for Valmet/Sako AKs and even if they don't or are willing to sell the patents to private hands, Sako is owned by Beretta, who have the ARX-100 in 7.62x39 among other calibers and probably don't give a damn about the AK game.