Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2018, 01:17 AM   #36
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansellhd View Post
[/B]
I felt the same way but after I added them to the collection I felt better.



Now I think I need a K31.....
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #37
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
Your new No 4 looks good! The vast majority of them were rebuilt one or more times post WWII. I know what you mean about Arisaka’s. I have had several but never had a burning interest in them. I do wish that I had kept the Type 44 Carbine that I had, that was probably my favorite Arisaka.
If I came across one cheap I'd probably buy it, but ammonia expensive so that's kind of a deal breaker
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:34 AM   #38
mojo00
AK SNOB
 
mojo00's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 9021
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ARIZONA
Posts: 5,004
Default

Got mine back in the day. All Savage, all matching including the bayonet.

Fun rifles!

__________________
Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...aretheaquabats
http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/index.cfm
libertarians can suck my sweaty balls
mojo00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:49 AM   #39
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo00 View Post
Got mine back in the day. All Savage, all matching including the bayonet.

Fun rifles!

That is VERY nice!!!
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #40
hansellhd
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 163202
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 3rd Stone from the Sun
Posts: 4,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveTA1983 View Post
Now I think I need a K31.....
My favorite bolt action to shoot.







Get one and stick a scope on it. You will be amazed with the accuracy. (with GP11 ammo)
__________________
HDH.

hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #41
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansellhd View Post
My favorite bolt action to shoot.







Get one and stick a scope on it. You will be amazed with the accuracy. (with GP11 ammo)
If one pops up locally in good shape I'm gonna grab it
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #42
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Well cleaned it all up (mostly) and here she is


















Slightly concerned with the 2 groove rifling as I only have 150gr PPU boat tailed rounds stocked and those are known to keyhole with 2 groove rifling.

Last edited by steveTA1983; 01-09-2018 at 12:21 AM.
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:42 AM   #43
35 Whelen
Member
 
35 Whelen's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 163563
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Great Republic of Texas
Posts: 482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveTA1983 View Post
Well cleaned it all up (mostly) and here she is

Slightly concerned with the 2 groove rifling as I only have 150gr PPU boat tailed rounds stocked and those are known to keyhole with 2 groove rifling.
I've owned I think 3 Savage made Enfield's and if I remember correctly they all used the 2-groove rifling. The 5-groove was used by a British manufacturer whose name escapes me.

I went through a phase of owning/shooting No. 4 Enfield's and owned quite a few. This was back in the day, 13-14 years ago, when our Local Big 5 would put them on sale about once a month for $99. I gravitated towards the Savage made models and eventually sold all of them except for one Svage...or is it two?? Anyhow....

The Enfield's are notorious for the liberal groove diameters of their barrels and the Savages seemed to be the worst. The barrels of almost all the Enfield's I owned had bore diameters of .303", but groove diameters ranges from .312" to .316" in a couple of the Savage's. With jacketed bullets it's not such a problem because the tall lands "grab" the bullet which are typically .311" to .312" in diameter. But with cast bullets it's a problem that results in leading. Through trial and error I found ways to eliminate the leading problem and 100 yd. accuracy was about the same for all of them running 2.5" with the right loads.







Remove that God forsaken black paint and there will be a beauty underneath. Sometimes the stocks are very difficult to clean up due to all the cosmoline in and on them, but the easiest and best way I found was to put it in the dishwasher, when the wife was gone, of course.



Congrats on your find, enjoy it!
35 Whelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #44
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
I've owned I think 3 Savage made Enfield's and if I remember correctly they all used the 2-groove rifling. The 5-groove was used by a British manufacturer whose name escapes me.

I went through a phase of owning/shooting No. 4 Enfield's and owned quite a few. This was back in the day, 13-14 years ago, when our Local Big 5 would put them on sale about once a month for $99. I gravitated towards the Savage made models and eventually sold all of them except for one Svage...or is it two?? Anyhow....

The Enfield's are notorious for the liberal groove diameters of their barrels and the Savages seemed to be the worst. The barrels of almost all the Enfield's I owned had bore diameters of .303", but groove diameters ranges from .312" to .316" in a couple of the Savage's. With jacketed bullets it's not such a problem because the tall lands "grab" the bullet which are typically .311" to .312" in diameter. But with cast bullets it's a problem that results in leading. Through trial and error I found ways to eliminate the leading problem and 100 yd. accuracy was about the same for all of them running 2.5" with the right loads.







Remove that God forsaken black paint and there will be a beauty underneath. Sometimes the stocks are very difficult to clean up due to all the cosmoline in and on them, but the easiest and best way I found was to put it in the dishwasher, when the wife was gone, of course.



Congrats on your find, enjoy it!
Yeah, more I've read said that the 2 groove barrel is fine for boat tailed rounds if its not worn. I miss the days of $99 milsurp rifles . Nice rifle and nice shooting!!!
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #45
Highpower
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor
 
Highpower's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 159128
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,932
Default

Sigh.....Many years ago when British rifle were cheap as dirt, I had a near perfect Savage No4. Like so many of the guns I had back then, I traded it off for some other firearm that tickled my fancy more than it did.

Fast forward to a couple years ago and I was having severe desire pains for another British rifle to add to the collection. What I wanted was another Savage, but since beggars can't be choosers, I picked up a 1903 Mk1** and a un-rebuilt No4Mk1 in a trade. What amazed me is what the darn things are going for these days. Talk about sticker shock!

No4Mk1 as made by BSA in 1943:

__________________
I don't respond to threads that start with "school me"

Highpowers' rules of gun collecting:
1. Never let a deal get away from you.
2. Never sell your guns.
Highpower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #46
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Sigh.....Many years ago when British rifle were cheap as dirt, I had a near perfect Savage No4. Like so many of the guns I had back then, I traded it off for some other firearm that tickled my fancy more than it did.

Fast forward to a couple years ago and I was having severe desire pains for another British rifle to add to the collection. What I wanted was another Savage, but since beggars can't be choosers, I picked up a 1903 Mk1** and a un-rebuilt No4Mk1 in a trade. What amazed me is what the darn things are going for these days. Talk about sticker shock!

No4Mk1 as made by BSA in 1943:

Very nice!! Love the wood on that. And yes, I remember only a few years ago these were like $250-300. I haven't seen one less than $400 now (and that one was beat to absolute shit)
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #47
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 185972
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Outer Limits
Posts: 4,866
Default

Awesome pics folks. Love that U.S. Property rollmark Steve.

Hansel I have a dumb question. I assume that is a "modern" muzzle brake on your K31 correct? It looks great. I haven't seen one on a K31 before tho.

One cool thing about the hottest video games these days is that my oldest son now knows what the heck a Lee Enfield is LOL. He was using a P-08 and a PPSH this morning so he got a little history along w his mind numbing video games I guess.
__________________
Rev
Rev06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #48
sealchief
Senior Member
 
sealchief's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 178082
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 580
Default

Love my Enfields, great rifles, and lots of fun to shoot.

sealchief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #49
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Well I'm going to go test it out today. I have a huge bandage on my back being secured by a medical corset, but fuck it lol. Shooting seated should be ok
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #50
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Well, just got done shooting. Here is the first 5 rounds fired. All targets are at 50 yards



Goes without saying that the grouping sucks and the sights are way off. On the bright side no keyholing so thats good!! I only used the battlefield peep hole. After getting everything sighted in, I was blown away



I then aimed at a 6 o'clock hold over the bullseye instead of dead center and it came down a bit



17/20 shots (once sighted in) in the 10 ring or bullseye. Accuracy on this rifle is exceptional. Considering this is my first time shooting it (2nd time ever shooting a lee enfield) I am EXTREMELY happy!! Zero malfunctions of any kind of the 40 rounds fired in total

Brought my 1903A3 out for the 2nd time and had similar results



Good day at the range with the old war horses

steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #51
brewster411
Member
 
AKaholic #: 180722
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
Hansel I have a dumb question. I assume that is a "modern" muzzle brake on your K31 correct? It looks great. I haven't seen one on a K31 before tho.
Looks like a Swiss Products clamp on brake and so is the scope mount.
brewster411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:57 AM   #52
Hilljack
Veteran Member
Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 29
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,523
Default

Dang Steve you are on a roll with those C&Rs.

Good to see you are out there shooting and enjoying them.

Still remember getting my first Enfield. They were piled up on a table at a gun show. Must have been 4 or 5 deep, just piled on each other. Found a nice No.1 . Loved them ever since. Have several of them.

Keep fishing in that honey hole.
__________________
http://dragunov.us/
Hilljack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:55 AM   #53
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilljack View Post
Dang Steve you are on a roll with those C&Rs.

Good to see you are out there shooting and enjoying them.

Still remember getting my first Enfield. They were piled up on a table at a gun show. Must have been 4 or 5 deep, just piled on each other. Found a nice No.1 . Loved them ever since. Have several of them.

Keep fishing in that honey hole.
I really need to stop, as I'm now up to 40 guns ($60-65k worth, close to $80k in ammo and accessories added in), but I can't resist a deal. My honey hole I've spent about $3k, but it's worth (everywhere else) around $6k.value only to go up. It's an addiction but at least it has a return (not like I'm gonna sell them though lol).
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:56 AM   #54
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 180809
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Near "Chiraq"
Posts: 11,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealchief View Post
Love my Enfields, great rifles, and lots of fun to shoot.

They have a nice Ishapore 2A1 for $450 as well.........
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #55
hansellhd
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 163202
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 3rd Stone from the Sun
Posts: 4,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
Awesome pics folks. Love that U.S. Property rollmark Steve.

Hansel I have a dumb question. I assume that is a "modern" muzzle brake on your K31 correct? It looks great. I haven't seen one on a K31 before tho.

One cool thing about the hottest video games these days is that my oldest son now knows what the heck a Lee Enfield is LOL. He was using a P-08 and a PPSH this morning so he got a little history along w his mind numbing video games I guess.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod24516.aspx

Works great.
__________________
HDH.

hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The AK FIles