Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 12-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #36
Bullandvodka
Postal Reservist

AKaholic #: 171330

The SCAR 17 has no equal. It is the best, bar none. But deminishing returns means that next extra bit of performance costs a good amount more than the earlier bit of performance. Yes, it is expensive. But if all you can complain about is the price then the rifle is a great one.
Late 60's Tula milled AKM recoil guide. Excellent bonus for #734.
Bullandvodka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #37
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohawk1 View Post
Hell even with my L/E pricing the scar17 is still way overpriced.
Eventually competition will be the great equaliser only then will prices drop.
nofreetime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #38
cobra45

AKaholic #: 172197

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansellhd View Post
@ half the price it worth the comparison. Fuck the SCAR.

https://gunprime.com/product/iwi-gal...16-20rd-black/

Galil ACE ready to go out of the box no need to upgrade anything.
Black Friday prepper gun shop had the galil ace 7.62 NATO for $1279!
I had one in my cart but have not been following them, after asking a few friends and finding mishacho's review here and video I went back to buy and it was OOS

Shows what they could potentially hit though.
cobra45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #39
ralfabcos

AKaholic #: 173447

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktathi View Post

That said, cool factor is as valid a reason to buy something as anything else, just be honest with yourself about it.
If that is not the case just buy another Colt OEM-2. This will provide plenty of bang for your buck.
ralfabcos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #40
Biohawk1
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 168304

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3542 View Post
when a SCAR hits 1100 let me know, until then i'll stick with my FAL rifles.
If I could get one for under $2k id feel it was an OK price.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #41
Goldfinger

AKaholic #: 174443

Are you going to run it? If so, then yeah, it's worth every penny. Nothing else compares.
Goldfinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #42
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra45 View Post
Black Friday prepper gun shop had the galil ace 7.62 NATO for $1279!
I had one in my cart but have not been following them, after asking a few friends and finding mishacho's review here and video I went back to buy and it was OOS

Shows what they could potentially hit though.
$1279? Wow. I didn't realize they had a deal on them. Probably good for my credit card as I would have had to order one at that price. Kinda wish I had known they had that deal going.

Edit: Went back and looked at Prepper's BF sales and are you sure they were the one with it for $1279? I looked at their BF deals and it wasn't shown as part of their deals.

https://gun.deals/product/prepper-gu...iday-sale-2017
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #43
7.62hunter

AKaholic #: 172284

If you're not running a suppressor or infrared lasers then the SCAR isn't in the league it's own. The adjustable gas piston, monolithic top rail, accuracy, and light weight are what set it apart
7.62hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #44
cobra45

AKaholic #: 172197

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
$1279? Wow. I didn't realize they had a deal on them. Probably good for my credit card as I would have had to order one at that price. Kinda wish I had known they had that deal going.

Edit: Went back and looked at Prepper's BF sales and are you sure they were the one with it for $1279? I looked at their BF deals and it wasn't shown as part of their deals.

https://gun.deals/product/prepper-gu...iday-sale-2017
Yes, Adding it to my cart dropped it from $1799 to $1299 and SAVE20 code dropped it to $1279!

I was curious about them and the price was really good, I wish I would have just pulled the trigger! I usually do but just bought a Corvette Z06, Arsenal SLR107UR and kids Christmas presents So my fun cash was really gone.
cobra45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #45
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62hunter View Post
If you're not running a suppressor or infrared lasers then the SCAR isn't in the league it's own. The adjustable gas piston, monolithic top rail, accuracy, and light weight are what set it apart
People report the same accuracy out of the $885 M&P10 though which also weighs the same.

Edit; M&P10 is $795 now.

Last edited by nofreetime; 12-25-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #46
7.62hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreetime View Post
People report the same accuracy out of the $885 M&P10 though which also weighs the same.
I was meaning in conjunction with all the other listed qualities. If the ARX200 is anything like the ARX100 it'd hit all the other qualities but drop the ball on accuracy
Old 12-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #47
UrbanSi

AKaholic #: 168589

Quote:

Edit; M&P10 is $795 now.
Comparing anything that S&W currently makes to FN is not a fair fight.
Its like comparing a Jeep to a Maserati.

As I have owned a Scar 17 for about 3 years now, I can tell you that after trying many optics, accessories and load out packages, the gun does everything. Enough so that I sold 3 other rifles in the same caliber because they simply sat in my safe.

I notice that most people who buy a Scar, do not sell them and defend them for a reason.
I also notice that people who don't own SCAR, or even shot/held one like to give advice on them...
UrbanSi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #48
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSi View Post
Comparing anything that S&W currently makes to FN is not a fair fight.
Its like comparing a Jeep to a Maserati.

As I have owned a Scar 17 for about 3 years now, I can tell you that after trying many optics, accessories and load out packages, the gun does everything. Enough so that I sold 3 other rifles in the same caliber because they simply sat in my safe.

I notice that most people who buy a Scar, do not sell them and defend them for a reason.
I also notice that people who don't own SCAR, or even shot/held one like to give advice on them...
Hey it's your $3,000 to do with as you please I'm just pointing out there are other guns that can do the same job for $800. I trust you're not about to explain that you NEED a Maserati to get around.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #49
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ski View Post
Amen! I don't understand why people don't look at AR10 more favorably these days. I guess AR10 caught some shit when M110 was initially fielded into the service and KAC kind of drop the ball during initial run. But today's M110 keeps running like an energizer bunny. I have run them many, many, many times, suppressed for over 1k rds at a time and more without a single drop of CLP and had ZERO malfunctions...to the point that suppressor had to be hammer out of the barrel...yes, that's ZERO malfunctions while still delivering precision fire at extended ranges after being dragged through some nasty shit...

Damn......

Thanks for sharing Rob. Always good to see a real world 1st person experience viewpoint that helps.

AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #50
7.62hunter

Quote:
Hey it's your $3,000 to do with as you please I'm just pointing out there are other guns that can do the same job for $800. I trust you're not about to explain that you NEED a Maserati to get around.
Unsuppressed shooting in the day they do the same job.

You could probably add a free float rail and pin on an adjustable gas block and it'd do a similar job then for about half the price. Except you couldn't put on a different barrel in about a minute or so.

SCAR 17/ MK17 reliability is undeniable though. There are more heavily tested 308 battle rifles, but few if any with its features
Old 12-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #51
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62hunter View Post
Unsuppressed shooting in the day they do the same job.

You could probably add a free float rail and pin on an adjustable gas block and it'd do a similar job then for about half the price. Except you couldn't put on a different barrel in about a minute or so.

SCAR 17/ MK17 reliability is undeniable though. There are more heavily tested 308 battle rifles, but few if any with its features
To be fair yes you could add an adjustable gas block to an M&P for $100 and a Midwest rail for $200 the gun is $800 so $1,100 which is hardly half.

What you could do for half the price of a SCAR 17 is buy a Larue ultimate upper builders kit for $1,200 and a Larue lower for $300 and then you'd have $1,500 into a complete Larue 7.62 Which would allow you to do all the quick barrel changes you needed as well as out shoot SCAR 17's on a regular basis but for 1/2 the cost though.

Not sure which barrel you're referring to changing out to on the SCAR they have an 18" and 20" here for $1220
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod68757.aspx

Again FN will never get my $3,000 and I realize that this is subjective but for me it's just not smart buying.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #52
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

The SCAR 17 is over-priced .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #53
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
@ half the price it worth the comparison. Fuck the SCAR.

https://gunprime.com/product/iwi-gal...16-20rd-black/

Galil ACE ready to go out of the box no need to upgrade anything.
I took advantage of this deal. Completely worth it. The handling, the lack of recoil in a .308 gun no less, and how lightweight it is even with a fully loaded mag blows away the old battle rifles. I should know because I owned a FAL, G3, and M14 and the ACE in my opinion blows them away. Had a small lady try mine out (first time she shot in ages and not a huge gun person) and she now wants to buy one because of the handling as well as how good it felt. If that isn't an endorsement I don't know what is.

Plus it has AK genes in it so add simplicity and the ability to shoot any type of .308 out of it without any problems.
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #54
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
I took advantage of this deal. Completely worth it. The handling, the lack of recoil in a .308 gun no less, and how lightweight it is even with a fully loaded mag blows away the old battle rifles. I should know because I owned a FAL, G3, and M14 and the ACE in my opinion blows them away. Had a small lady try mine out (first time she shot in ages and not a huge gun person) and she now wants to buy one because of the handling as well as how good it felt. If that isn't an endorsement I don't know what is.

Plus it has AK genes in it so add simplicity and the ability to shoot any type of .308 out of it without any problems.
Have you tried testing it for accuracy yet?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #55
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

Quote:

If the ARX200 does not pan out for me (for one reason or another) in 2018 I think I will go with the IWI Galil in 308. I can see these things going for < 1.5K next year.

hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #56
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
The SCAR 17 is over-priced .
That's it in a nutshell and always will be. (until FN lowers the price)

Would I rather have one than an AR10/PTR91? Hell yes but not @ 3K.

hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #57
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Have you tried testing it for accuracy yet?
Only shot at a few yards, maybe 10-25? Accuracy was okay at least in my eyes but then again I rate accuracy on battle accuracy. I didn't bring out a tape measure. All I can say is it can shoot better than I can. The tritium front sight is a nice touch.

I only had some cheap Tula and Mexican Aguila brass ammo. No problems feeding or extracting. Mags are tight fitting (Magpul) but easy to lock in securely with a generous magwell so there is no doubt if a mag is in or not. Would probably be even smoother with Lancer or aluminum/steel mags but I'm not complaining with the Magpul's.
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #58
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I can see these things going for < 1.5K next year.
They are already at $1535. So definitely a solid chance of that.

Quote:
That's it in a nutshell and always will be. (until FN lowers the price)

Would I rather have one than an AR10/PTR91? Hell yes but not @ 3K.
I agree with you. Spot on.

Quote:
Only shot at a few yards, maybe 10-25? Accuracy was okay at least in my eyes but then again I rate accuracy on battle accuracy. I didn't bring out a tape measure. All I can say is it can shoot better than I can. The tritium front sight is a nice touch.

I only had some cheap Tula and Mexican Aguila brass ammo. No problems feeding or extracting. Mags are tight fitting (Magpul) but easy to lock in securely with a generous magwell so there is no doubt if a mag is in or not. Would probably be even smoother with Lancer or aluminum/steel mags but I'm not complaining with the Magpul's.
Thanks. When you get more time with it, you should start a thread on your experience with it. I know there have been some threads already from owners, but more suer threads the better.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #59
indyguy333

AKaholic #: 182606

I'd think galil ACE is comparable in terms of accuracy and reliability.
indyguy333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #60
Reckless

AKaholic #: 164841

If I had to pick one rifle, just one rifle to do everything I'd ever want a rifle to do ever again - it'd be a SCAR-17S.
It is very accurate, very reliable, runs great suppressed and unsuppressed, set up well for optics and other accessories, disassembly is easy, magazines are reliable and strong and easy to load.
The only thing that bugs me is the inability to quietly chamber a round - one MUST drop the bolt from full rearward extension for it to get over the rim of the cartridge. That and the uncanny resemblance of the factory buttstock to a woman's UGG boot.

Aside from that, it's everything I'd want in a duty rifle and more.

Sadly, few of the kick ass additional modular options of the SCAR system are available to us mere peasants. (.260 Rem conversions, AR style stock extensions, etc)

As Rob Ski mentioned, the M110 system is kick-ass now, and more than one organization have taken to running LaRue OBR's and such for DMR/Sniper work.

For a working gun, where everything *MUST* be as good as possible, there's real value in those systems. For those of us blessed with complete freedom of choice and not having to limit ourselves to just ONE rifle, the benefits are mixed, as I'd sure rather buy three or four interesting rifles and some ammo with that $3k+ than a SCAR or OBR.

But that's just me.
Reckless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #61
dso970
01 FFL

AKaholic #: 178426

i bought mine over the summer...but not anywhere near 3k. got it on arf.com's ee nib with 5 extra mags for 2300 after some serious negotiating. expensive...yes, but worth every penny and would do it again in a heartbeat. i love the simplicity, accuracy, and weight of the rifle. my scar eats everything out there from cheap tula crap to my buddies hot homebrews.

i think everything that comes with the scar (weight, reliability, accuracy) its tough to beat.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #62
wayne in boca

AKaholic #: 178699

When I first heard that the SCAR 17 would be available to buy in the civilian market,I vowed to obtain one by any means possible.I scrimped and saved and scrapped and starved and bought a black Scar 17.Then I ate no lunch,drank no cokes,and had no fun until I could afford an Elcan Specter DR 1 x 4 and a Geiselle trigger.I am a regular working man,not a rich guy,and I have the finest battle rifle on the planet.Worth every dime.
wayne in boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #63
MouseBoy

AKaholic #: 4971

Recless, kinda reminds me of M1Garand ping. The enemy knew when ammo was out. At least with the SCAaR they will know ammo is on the way!
MouseBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #64
mostholycerebys
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165655

Seems overpriced compared to the new small-frame AR10s like the DPMS GII or Savage MSR10, which can take almost all the AR15 performance goodies, weigh less, handle much like the AR15.
'We have peace. And its rare. And its amazing that we have it. We shouldnt take it for granted. Because the normal order of things is destructive chaos. Things can get absolutely monstrous, and there's always a fraction of the population who thinks that's how they'd like things to be, and perhaps theres a fraction of you that's like that too. I wouldn't nurture that fragment unless you want to KNOW where it will take you.' - J. Peterson, clinical psychologist and professor
mostholycerebys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #65
crang11

AKaholic #: 24567

It may be overpriced but I really dont care. Mine has made every other battle rifle I have obsolete. It just does everything better. So many of mine collect dust since buying it. Its the perfect do everything rifle. I still buy rifles since obtaining the SCAR but its not because I feel a need anymore, just because I like guns. If I could only have one rifle it would be the SCAR no question. To me thats worth it. I use mine for everything from target shooting neat groups, to ringing steel out to 750 to pig and deer hunting to truck gun to having a a SHTF gun. I may get a longer barrel for it just to have fun at 1000. Its the only rifle I have multiple qd optics for as it fills so many roles with a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 getting the most use but having a red dot and PVS-4 with M14 reticle zeroed on it along with an assortment of lights and IR qizmos just lets it do anything as I switch stuff up.

Last edited by crang11; 12-29-2017 at 02:10 PM.
crang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #66
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dso970 View Post
i bought mine over the summer...but not anywhere near 3k. got it on arf.com's ee nib with 5 extra mags for 2300 after some serious negotiating. expensive...yes, but worth every penny and would do it again in a heartbeat. i love the simplicity, accuracy, and weight of the rifle. my scar eats everything out there from cheap tula crap to my buddies hot homebrews.

i think everything that comes with the scar (weight, reliability, accuracy) its tough to beat.
$2300 for a used SCAR 17? Sign me up for that.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #67
GunBugBit
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 140929

As others have more or less stated, when I can build a solid, reliable 308 AR from an 80% lower, and have a blast doing it, for around $700 without much shopping around for good deals on parts, it's hard to get excited about a SCAR 17 for $3k.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:16 PM   #68
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

AKaholic #: 154920

I’ve owned about every available SA 308 on the market, I haven’t found anything that has impress me as much as my SCAR has. Over priced? ... everything it over price IMO... Worth the price. Absolutely! The only thing on the horizon that might give it a run for its money is the B&T APC308 and that’s definitely not going to be any cheaper.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:28 AM   #69
dso970
01 FFL

AKaholic #: 178426

Quote:
$2300 for a used SCAR 17? Sign me up for that.
they pop up every so often in the various marketplaces in gun forums...like everything in life, right time right place i guess
Old 12-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #70
Justice06RR

AKaholic #: 168431

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSantor View Post
It is no coincidence that the price is still "high" and they are hard to come by. They demand that price and are hard to find because they are worth every penny in that category of weapon.
This.

Prices of the KAC and LMT 308's are all in the same price range. Not sure why the SCAR should be less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinj0101 View Post
No question if its nice or not, but value? You can build or buy something lighter, more accurate, better trigger and more readily available parts wise, for like half the cost. Don't get me wrong, someday I'm going to own one though. For me, if they were sub 2k, I'd be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

So no, its the Starbucks coffee of a rifle, I make my coffee at home, gets the job done and I'm not trying to impress anyone.
Except your home-built rifle is worth nothing to anyone else because you built it. We have no idea of your skills or quality of parts used. No warranty , no reputation for reliability, and no track record of being used by militaries around the world.

Not to look down on your builds because I build my own also. But those are things that must be considered when it comes to price and value.

I can build a $500 AR10 but its never gonna be the same as a SCAR17.
Justice06RR is offline   Reply With Quote