Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #106
Glashaus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180938

I own a few Smith & Wesson's, for reference books I use The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Editions 1 through 4. Edition 4 came out last year and is the latest edition. It has lots of information. For the exact date and configuration that it left the factory and the first place that it was shipped to, you can get a factory letter

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sta...ica/1124389631

I am also on the Smith & Wesson Forum and you can pick up a lot of knowledge there

Last edited by Glashaus; 03-17-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Glashaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #107
cast1903

AKaholic #: 164318

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXGreg View Post
I'll agree with this. I have a Speed Six that originally was sold as a double action only. Swapped in a spurred hammer for range use. If you think about pulling the trigger, it's gone. Most accurate snub nose I own.

Also have a Henry Big Boy in .357 mag. It's still new to me but showing alot of promise.

My favorite .357 is still my Coonan. It's a joy to shoot no matter how hot the rounds are. Accurate as all hell and shoots halos of fire.

WOW! Awesome picture.
cast1903 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #108
Thruxton-Texas
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174649

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
Entirely fair criticism. Thank you. I will take it to heart as you are a man I greatly respect on this forum. I did reply in depth to why I dislike Rugers in another post. Thank you for honorably smoke-checking me. I need that once in a while.
Thanks for not blowing me out of the water with both barrels! You'll notice that I didn't criticize the ban though. We're all supposed to be "grown men"; IMO there's enough vitriol in the Politics, and Dumping Brass sub-forums without tolerating it in a simple discussion about revolvers. However, your respect is perhaps misplaced; I'm just another guy who puts his "two cents worth" in from time to time. As to your dislike of Ruger revolvers; it would be boring world if we all liked the same things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollthelosingdice View Post
Ok I decided against the .357, I didn't like the size of the gun and the prices were way too high for a quality revolver. I went with this old S&W .38 special, I think it's from the 50's. If anyone here has information on it, that would be awesome. I'm really liking this gun!
I think you did well for yourself. There ain't nothin' wrong with a S&W "K" frame .38 special; your's was built back when S&W gave a damn about build quality. I have a Model 13, also built on the "K" frame. It's rather unpleasant to shoot with "full house" .357 Magnum loads; but all the "K" frames are like this.
If you plan to shoot it extensively, I suggest a better set of grips; Pachmayer, Herret, or Altamont are just a few vendors to look into. The stock "Magna" grips get uncomfortable after awhile. Again, congratulations on your find!
..........James.
Building guns whose pressure-bearing parts are made from low quality castings, of unverified materials, from a 3rd World foundry, is the moral equivalent of selling hamburgers made by a cook who didn't wash his hands after taking a dump. ........James.
Thruxton-Texas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:34 AM   #109
madmanmccoy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 115894

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMike View Post

Everybody here deserves a Python.

---
Now you're talkin' .........OBTW, I'd like THIS one ,ThankYou!
And Do NO Wrong:
Protect the Helpless Tho It Leads to your Death

Last edited by madmanmccoy; 03-18-2018 at 01:24 AM.
madmanmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:06 AM   #110
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

If you're gonna buy a magnum revolver then skip the 357 and get a 44.
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:11 AM   #111
mustang74
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 88248

Ruger GP100 6 inch barrel is what i have, its easy shooting with the Ruger and their well balanced barrel.
mustang74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:14 AM   #112
Fortis
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 16269

Between the .357 sp101 I once owned & my cousin's .44 Trailboss I'll take the the .44 any day for just fun shooting. The extra heft really tames the recoil, especially out of a 2" barrel. It is also magna-ported though. Wouldn't want to carry it, unless I was hiking in Glacier Park (Grizzlies).
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests” - Patrick Henry
WTB-`82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.
It's MY Island! Mine!
Fortis is online now   Reply With Quote