Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Cowboys1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188774
Default Unsafe to keep shotgun with 1 in chamber?

Seen some video's, read some forums of people saying a chambered shotgun could be unsafe. Rounds could go off if the gun is dropped or falls. I keep my Hawk 982 loaded with 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber at all times. I'm worried a little though. I keep in stood upright on it's buttstock in my closet.
Cowboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Reading stuff on the internet can be even worse.

Not sure what you expect to happen with your shotgun kept as described, though.

Regardless of all the FUD the media shovels, they really don't go off by themselves.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
Cowboys1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188774

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post

Reading stuff on the internet can be even worse.

Not sure what you expect to happen with your shotgun kept as described, though.

Regardless of all the FUD the media shovels, they really don't go off by themselves.
Lol. I like that meme. I for sure don't go on the internet for health issues. I come away thinking I have ALS or something when I simply had to much caffeine. ANyhow, I hear what you're saying. I just wanna be safe but I really don't see how the shotgun could go off even if it falls. The safety is on and the Hawk is a metal monster tough as hell.
Cowboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
Seen some video's, read some forums of people saying a chambered shotgun could be unsafe. Rounds could go off if the gun is dropped or falls. I keep my Hawk 982 loaded with 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber at all times. I'm worried a little though. I keep in stood upright on it's buttstock in my closet.
If the gun is in proper working order and will pass a function check ,you are good to go.
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
Bullpupking

AKaholic #: 168214

"Mrs. Meisner was moving a rifle that was stored inside a case in a closet. As she lifted the rifle in the case, another item within the case shifted and hit the trigger of the rifle, causing it to fire and fatally injure Mrs. Meisner," the police report said."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...m/amp/81434982

There is always a risk.
Bullpupking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpupking View Post
"Mrs. Meisner was moving a rifle that was stored inside a case in a closet. As she lifted the rifle in the case, another item within the case shifted and hit the trigger of the rifle, causing it to fire and fatally injure Mrs. Meisner," the police report said."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...m/amp/81434982

There is always a risk.
Yes, illiteracy always brings risks.

The OP stated how he keeps his shotgun, and nowhere does he mention "case".

. . and as far as your news story, seems to me that someone needs to be charged with "involuntary manslaughter" for leaving their rifle in such a potentially unsafe state.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
Towerofpower93

AKaholic #: 105103

That case study (pun intended) would lead me to believe that firearm was in perfect working order.

Stored loaded for who knows how long; and when the trigger was depressed, shockingly, it fired the loaded round!
Towerofpower93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #8
streetfighters

AKaholic #: 168255

I suppose it's how you train. I leave the chamber empty. When bringing the rifle ( pump action) up to my shoulder in a shooting position I rack the slide, fully chambering the shell by the time the rifle is on target and shooting decision is made.
I expect your particular living situation has a lot to do with the condition you choose. Cocked with a chambered round, no safety on- it should and will fire.
streetfighters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #9
DevJames

AKaholic #: 193787

I leave mine in cruiser condition.

Always cleared the chamber when I set it down to climb over something while hunting.

If you're really concerned, but a snap cap in it and slap it around some with a mallet to see if the hammer drops. Probably won't.
DevJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:20 PM   #10
AllTen

AKaholic #: 181458

I respect the opinion of many of folks on this forum who are reasonable and use common sense in terms of addressing the questions or concerns about shotguns that come up in this forum as I respect the opinions of Naolith.

I will respectfully disagree w/some of the things said here about this issue as a rationale to suggest that shotguns w/a crossbolt safety are either "drop" or "bump" safe.

I consider anything anybody says or on this issue pro or con or any other issue via the internet w/extreme caution and extreme skepticism.

Here is the BOTTOM LINE for me, which I'll say to you..........don't take advice which can cost you your life without researching this yourself until your satisfied one way or the other.

What are these folks going to do if they're wrong about carrying a shotgun w/one in the chamber being "drop safe" and you blow your head off..........

Can you go back to them and get your life back......no..........you can't.

We went through this with handguns.......................................... ...........

and I have the same attitude about the way they used to be as I am about shotguns w/cross bolt safeties.

My Dad was an LEO back in the day when his duty weapon was a revolver w/the firing pin on the hammer. He went to work w/this weapon always with the hammer kept on an empty chamber.

I asked him about that, and the fact that meant that he obviously had 5 instead of 6 rds. in a pinch. His response was that he would deal w/5 the same way he was going to deal w/a situation w/6, but there was no way he was going to shoot himself or somebody else by dropping the gun.

Fast forward to later................many revolvers like the ones I now have, involve a piece a metal between the firing pin where you HAVE to pull the trigger to fire the gun. Dropping the gun or bumping up against something won't make it go off, but be assured I will NEVER/EVER try to test that.

My Baretta 92 Compact has a safety, which you engage and you can't pull the trigger to make the gun to go off, and additionally there's a slab of metal between the firing pin and a chambered round so that dropping the gun cannot make it go off.

There's an issue of context here that isn't being discussed that I humbly suggest that the gentleman asking the question needs to hear, at least I think so.

What does "safe" mean............I ask that with intention of suggesting that there is safety on different levels, and ascending to the absolute top, that they've made shotguns on safety as safe as they can make them, and in my opinion they haven't.......................................

NOT like they've addressed this issue w/the more modern handguns where a firing pin has to go through a slab of metal in order to make it fire without pulling the trigger.

They need to address the firing pin on shotguns, not just the trigger to make them AS SAFE as they've done w/the handgun issue w/the firing pin.

Until they do..............I'm not keeping/walking around w/my shotguns w/one in the chamber..........for the sake of my kids and me.

The folks on the other side of this discussion from me, might be right, but as far as I'm concerned, it's possible for a firing pin to get to a round on a shotgun, even if that possibility is remote as opposed to it being impossible w/no ands, ifs, or buts, to make a shotgun go off w/an empty chamber.

Again, the folks on the other side of this conversation might be right. That has nothing to do w/my doing what makes me feel absolutely safe w/my guns.

They had a recall w/the Rem 887 because it could be "slam fired", even though that's a different situation than what were discussing here, but within a certain context, it still involves being able to make a shotgun go off w/o pulling the trigger.

When I saw this post, I revisited a sampling of this discussion on other sites.

like here.......

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=333080

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-792607.html

Re the Winchester Model 1300....

https://huntsfish.com/page6.html

My bottom line regardless of who thinks they're right.......particularly when it comes to your life, and the lives and safety of those around you, I'd say research this yourself until you're "blue in the face".
AllTen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 PM   #11
Conn. AK
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4732

Our common shotguns (500, 870, 590, etc) are not drop safe. The safeties block the trigger, not the firing pin. Always a good idea using caution in the field climbing fences or tree stands. My 1985 500 is hot in the gun safe. Can't really fall or get jarred heavily to cause the rare (but possible) unintended discharge inside the safe.
Conn. AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #12
Crazig

AKaholic #: 194977

I was uncomfortable keeping a shotgun with a round chambered in my home. Local police keep their trunk shotgun tube loaded with its breach secured open, using duct tape around the barrel & fore stock - folded with a tab - for fast removal.
I got rid of my 870, & replaced it with a semi-auto, 8rd magazine fed SAIGA 12 C shotgun. Much safer around the house, takes no time to plug in a magazine & arm.
Crazig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
NATO 5.56

AKaholic #: 169435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
Hawk 982 180$ -- New Sig 9mm US Army gun 800$....Hawk 982 ? Sig Army gun "DROP----BOOM"!! Always rember the the law of Murphy... Just because it shouldnt doesnt mean it wont. Thats my take on it.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:31 PM   #14
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATO 5.56 View Post
Hawk 982 180$ -- New Sig 9mm US Army gun 800$....Hawk 982 ? Sig Army gun "DROP----BOOM"!! Always rember the the law of Murphy... Just because it shouldnt doesnt mean it wont. Thats my take on it.
The Army's MHS does not have the "DROP----BOOM" issue of its civilian predecessor.

This is why Sig is retrofitting p320s with the MHS FCG workings.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:47 AM   #15
AllTen

AKaholic #: 181458

I was surprised when I first saw what you had brought up, and I'm glad they're doing something about it.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7si_VQsGA

Some folks erupted w/anger at the prospect of this, insisting initially that they didn't believe it, but the point was that whatever/however they did this, they were able to expose a situation where the firearm would go off by dropping it, and bring it to everyone's attention, and thank god something's being done about it.

It's my understanding this came up after the gun had been drop tested.

Last edited by AllTen; 01-19-2018 at 02:02 AM.
AllTen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #16
NATO 5.56

AKaholic #: 169435

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
The Army's MHS does not have the "DROP----BOOM" issue of its civilian predecessor.

This is why Sig is retrofitting p320s with the MHS FCG workings.
I hope the OP gets the "GENERAL IDEA"
Old 01-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #17
GDubya

AKaholic #: 191529

On an 870, the cross-bolt safety only keeps the trigger from intentionally manipulating the sear to disengage and release the cocked hammer forward onto the firing pin.. A rare, abrupt unintended shock/drop can affect the sear/hammer independently and may cause a legally Negligent Discharge; because this circumstance is known/documented...

Keep your SG LE-established "cruiser ready": mag stoked, chamber empty. Simple yet effective/safe.