Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
Big_Red_Rocket

AKaholic #: 173624
Default New Factory Remington 870 Box Fed Magazine Shotguns

The recently released TAC14 will also be available in the magazine fed version. Each magazine holds six rounds of 12 gauge ammo in 2 3/4 as well as 3-inch shells.

Before going into the other models’ let’s talk about the version I was sent for testing. The version in the photos is the Remington 870 DM Magpul. This version comes with all Magpul furniture including the Magpul SGA stock with the Super Cell recoil pad. Magpul MOE M-Lok forend, 18.5 inch Rem Choke barrel with extended ported tactical choke, XS steel front sight with white dot as well as an XS Tactical Rail with a ghost ring rear sight (adjustable). Each 870DM Magpul shotgun comes with a choke tool so the user can remove the tactical choke and replace it with a choke of your choice. The MSRP for the Magpul model is $799.00. The Magpul model will be available shortly while the other models will be released over the next few months. Each shotgun comes with one magazine.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-fed-shotguns/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...AC14_right.jpg

Last edited by nalioth; 12-06-2017 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Fixed huge image(s)
Big_Red_Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

AKaholic #: 157162

stupid
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
89grand
((Jerks))

AKaholic #: 178030

What is the point in having a magazine fed pump shotgun that doesn't hold any more rounds than the tube would, at least in the full sized gun?
89grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
Upgrade

AKaholic #: 174260

Just when Remington was somewhat getting their stuff together and getting away from producing crappy products, they come-out with a magazine fed shotgun with a tube magazine. No thanks, and BTW, that thing looks absurd.
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

AKaholic #: 157162

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
What is the point in having a magazine fed pump shotgun that doesn't hold any more rounds than the tube would, at least in the full sized gun?
Im guessing faster reloads, but on a pump gun, that benefit is not worth it to me by a long shot
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

They found a way around that damn finger destroying trapdoor. Not worth $800 by a longshot. Maybe when they get it down to $215 with $20 mags.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

Quote:
My only question would be how much weight can their magazine catch support.

Funny looking magazine, I don't like the feed tabs, they look delicate, could probably make a stronger stamping if you don't mind hand transferring the parts between stages.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...c43c98a1-2.jpg

Last edited by nalioth; 12-06-2017 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Fixed huge image(s)
csspecs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
remauto1187
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176620
Location: INDIANA (formerly Illinois) Cant imagine why I left there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Just when Remington was somewhat getting their stuff together and getting away from producing crappy products, they come-out with a magazine fed shotgun with a tube magazine. No thanks, and BTW, that thing looks absurd.
Not well versed in a pump shotgun eh? You have to have the tube, what else is the pump action going to slide on?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
remauto1187
Veteran Member

Wonder if that "magazine" adapter will be available separately to convert any 870 to mag fed? Will higher cap mags (Drums?) be made available. I can get 870 receivers pretty damn cheap locally. I miss my Black Aces Tactical (stolen) mag fed shotgun.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
Escape from NY

AKaholic #: 179890

Quote:
Originally Posted by remauto1187 View Post
Not well versed in a pump shotgun eh? You have to have the tube, what else is the pump action going to slide on?
The empty mag tube should be the ideal place to mount a light or laser, especially on the TAC 14.
Escape from NY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
GDubya

AKaholic #: 191529

I find it interesting that Remington appears to have elected to venture into hi-cap, faster-reload stick/drum(?) mags via the PUMP system; despite the venerable 870's long proven reliability. Particularly with TAC-14 referenced in this thread that is supposed to offer the smaller/non-NFA footprint. And, again with training, you can reload/fire a tube-fed pump as fast as a tube-fed SA. But you'd have to have the 2nd stick mag on you or imminently with the 870 to make that happen...
Now, Remington's offering these DM = Detachable Mags in all their Tac offerings; In my mind confirming the faster reload intention.. That said, I've trained/run 18" 870+2 (Ps, etc) for SD for 15+ years and will continue to do so.

But, I wonder, why not (yet?) debut/offer this said fastercycling/reloading system in their semi-auto 1100/VersaMax gas-system (supposedly superior to inertia-offerings) to afford recoil control?

Oh yes, and you're going to ergonomically manage to one-handed hold/balance the 5.6 lbs of a Tac-14 birdhead's-only while you do a tac/stressed mag swap?!?!... Good luck & I call BS!

Last edited by GDubya; 12-05-2017 at 09:58 PM.
GDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:35 AM   #12
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 137433

With a typical rifle round, a box magazine offers a big capacity advantage over a tube magazine because the diameter of the cartridges is very small in comparison to their length. Twelve gauge shotgun shells are quite fat in comparison to their length so they offer little or no capacity advantage unless a magazine is monstrously large and unwieldy. Even Remington's six round mags make the shotgun bulkier and of course cannot be topped up while in use like a tube mag.
Charlemagne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:48 AM   #13
paddyfritz
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156224

The mag fed Norinco 870's are popular in Canada as we can have a loaded mag and the shotgun in a truck, but not a loaded tube fed shotgun.
One of these with a 12 inch barrel is pretty handy and they are cheap. $250 -$400.00 cdn.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #14
oldflyer

AKaholic #: 175534

I see no advantage to a magazine fed TAC14. I have a TAC14 with a Wilson Combat +1 extension and it's all that I need. With the Magpul fore end, it's a one minute job to attach a rail for a laser/light.
oldflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #15
Upgrade

AKaholic #: 174260

Quote:
Well, perhaps with over 30 years owning and shooting a variety of firearms, including pump shotguns I may not be well versed. But I do know when something appears utterly redundant.

Moreover, the TAC 14 presumably is supposed to fit a niche especially in terms of portability and compactness. Adding a magazine (and bypassing the tube feeding) takes something away from its allure, while adding little to nothing from a TACtical or practical perspective.
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #16
Fjordforder
Indestructible, not invulnerable!

AKaholic #: 175530

Pants on head retarded. Just like Mossberg`s abortion of the MVP, why would I want a gun intended to be light, handy and fast with a big, boxy balance-destroyer right at the fucking balance point?

I`m sure the bumpfire faggots will eat this piece of shit up.

Besides, the way to keep a shotgun from running out? Proactive reloads, yo. Don`t run it to empty and take forever to reload, drop another shell in the tube when you have the chance. Duh.

THE ENTIRE KIM DYNASTY IS A LONG, LONG LINE OF PUNK ASS BITCHES

Be the Mutant DEVO wants you to be!

7.62x39, 5.45x39, 7.62x51, 7.62x54r, 5.56x45, 12x76, 9x19, .22WMR, 7.5x54

Fjordforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
VforVandetta

AKaholic #: 184420

This is nothing short of a conceptual clusterfuck.

The awesomeness of most mag fed shotguns is that they are typically accompanied by the modularity/ergonomics/recoil compensation of a rifle, as many are designed on rifle platforms.

You can extend that logic to say that any activity that would "require" the higher capacity of
Stick/drum magazines and the ability to reload them quickly SHOULD be accompanied by those rifle-like features.

I'm talking about things like duck/boar hunting, competitive shooting matches, commando raids, or a full fledged MS-13 home/car invasion.

For those, an adjustable ergonomic stock, a pistol grip, a rail for mounting Optics, a muzzle break to cut recoil and muzzle rise, a magazine well, and the ability to upgrade triggers are all amazing.

Why the fuck you need a magazine on a tac 14 with a birdshead grip I am not understanding at all.

I'm assuming you pretty much have to run the thing dry and open the bolt to insert another mag without making a project out of it, and even then it seems like it would be awkward as fuck.

Anyway, fuck this thing. Just get a Vepr 12 already.

-V
VforVandetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #18
remauto1187
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Well, perhaps with over 30 years owning and shooting a variety of firearms, including pump shotguns I may not be well versed. But I do know when something appears utterly redundant.

Moreover, the TAC 14 presumably is supposed to fit a niche especially in terms of portability and compactness. Adding a magazine (and bypassing the tube feeding) takes something away from its allure, while adding little to nothing from a TACtical or practical perspective.
you would think that 30yrs of "experience" you would realize there needs to be a support for the barrel to attach on the muzzle end and there needs to be a support for the slide action to slide on at the breech end to the end of the stroke.
Even Black aces tactical have the mag tube still installed even though they are converted to mag/drum fed.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #19
89grand
((Jerks))

AKaholic #: 178030

Quote:
you would think that 30yrs of "experience" you would realize there needs to be a support for the barrel to attach on the muzzle end and there needs to be a support for the slide action to slide on at the breech end to the end of the stroke.
Even Black aces tactical have the mag tube still installed even though they are converted to mag/drum fed.
Just because a pump action requires a tube to work, doesn't mean this mag fed Remington idiocy makes any sense, because it doesn't. Since the tube is already there, and it holds close to, or more ammo, depending on model, just makes it even that much more retarded.
89grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:51 PM   #20
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 137433

Quote:
.Since the tube is already there, and it holds close to, or more ammo, depending on model, just makes it even that much more retarded.

"That much more retarded"? Sounds like a shotgun for Joe Biden if he ever decides to go for something with more capacity than a double!
Charlemagne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:12 AM   #21
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

Conceptually it is retarded. But if the magazine scares liberals I like it. Needs a tanker mag. 20 rounds.

Uuuh ugh uh ooh ooh! Uuh ugh uggggh uuuuug uh uh uh ooh. Aaah agh ugh uh aaawwwooh?
raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #22
remauto1187
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just because a pump action requires a tube to work, doesn't mean this mag fed Remington idiocy makes any sense, because it doesn't. Since the tube is already there, and it holds close to, or more ammo, depending on model, just makes it even that much more retarded.
Who said they werent going to come out with a 10, 20 or even a 25 round drum mag? Have a 10 shot 870 already do ya?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #23
Sneakers1971
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

AKaholic #: 157433

Detachable mags ruin the lines of any shotgun.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #24
GDubya

AKaholic #: 191529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakers1971 View Post
Detachable mags ruin the lines of any shotgun.
Not a VEPR 12. It just makes it look BEASTY! too...
Old 12-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #25
ironhead7544

AKaholic #: 11440

The main advantage I see with a magazine fed shotgun is the ease of carrying more ammo.
ironhead7544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:42 PM   #26
frick

AKaholic #: 179158

Only 10 years too late, and stupid not to let it accept VEPR mags already on the market, you would draw VEPR owners, like me to the new design, only because you wouldn't need a mag change.

And, then, you are going to let a company facing bankruptcy, do the R and D to develop new high cap mags, or just wait for someone else like pro mag to do it for you.

Which they aren't going to do until there are thousands of these out there. Further, not to offer a high cap with the introduction is stupid, as is someone who needs a 3 round mag buying into this new system, just no demand for it.
frick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #27
frick

AKaholic #: 179158

Not to mention the FUDDS, who will never believe its as reliable, and, afraid that the detachable mag will get them tossed from the Mr. Magoo and friends shooting club, which, doesn't like military style weapons on the range.
frick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #28
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
stupid
Yup, stupid! At least with a tube feed you don't have to worry about losing the mag, or any mag bans.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #29
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Remington quality sucks moose cocks nowadays. I would be hard pressed to buy any new production Remington firearms.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #30
djvdz66
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173445

Garbage since the late 1980's Remington.
djvdz66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #31
flejl

AKaholic #: 306

I could be wrong on this, but I think there are allot of people missing the value of a box feed pump shotgun.

Read the different threads with all of the comments on how a semi-auto shotgun is not as reliable as a pump shotgun. Then the religious debates on which manufacturer is better...

To me, if Remington is able to bring this to market in the range of the current 12 gauge 870 express shotgun it will be a home run for a home defense/self defense short tange weapon.

Then again, I am just an old guy that likes solid steel weapons and carries nothing but old guy single action handguns for CCW.

Now let all of you angry people comment on that.
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #32
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flejl View Post
I could be wrong on this, but I think there are allot of people missing the value of a box feed pump shotgun.

Read the different threads with all of the comments on how a semi-auto shotgun is not as reliable as a pump shotgun. Then the religious debates on which manufacturer is better...

To me, if Remington is able to bring this to market in the range of the current 12 gauge 870 express shotgun it will be a home run for a home defense/self defense short tange weapon.

Then again, I am just an old guy that likes solid steel weapons and carries nothing but old guy single action handguns for CCW.

Now let all of you angry people comment on that.
Semi auto shotguns gas systems are reliable with the proper loads and it takes trial/error to find the idea shell combination. Some semis generally don't like low brass/dove type loads.

Thats why pumps are popular, you hand cycle the action and pretty much every load works unless you fuck up and short stroke them...lol
The only advantage a magazine fed pump could have is possible reload time or immediate change in load types like buckshot to slugs or birdshot.

But then again if you are shooting a whippit non-shouldered trench broom with 5 to 6 shots and miss your opponent. Well all the magazines in the world won't help.

I could only see its use as a shits and giggles target/milk jug blaster.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #33
flejl

AKaholic #: 306

I am not really worried about needing more than 5-6 rounds of buckshot, although as several people pointed out the reloads SHOULD be quicker.

I guess it all depends on the situation a person lives in and their real or perceived need for the ability to defend themselves.

The key advantage of a box mag is being able to quickly bring the weapon into operation from an unloaded state. Oh yea, the "shits and giggles target/milk jug blaster" also comes to mind as well.

To be very honest, I seriously doubt most people who purchase many of the shotguns discussed in this section of the forum use them in life or death situations. For myself, I already have a 1911 and SAR K2 45 with loaded mags in the night stand already for "just in case" situation in the middle of the night, but I hope that day never comes that I need to use either or both.

I guess the great thing is each one of us are still able to have conversations like this and make decisions on what items or firearms we may or may not use in a self defense situation.
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #34
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

A box magazine with a higher capacity than a tube mag might make sense, but 6 rds is no advantage over the tube mag. Tube extensions are easily added making all but the shortest bbl models capable of holding more than the box mag. Extras mags MSRP @ $35 each too, so if you want several yer gonna be payin' for them. Maybe when Magpul starts cranking out the 20rd ones @ $18 it might be practical...

Competition? Sure, a faster reload with the box mag after you empty the gun in rapid fire. Except there are other shotguns out there with bigger mags so you would be at a disadvantage anyway.

HD? 7 or 8 rds in the gun and a sidesaddle, butt-cuff, or bandolier of spare shells will keep you in the fight just as long or longer than the box mag and a spare. Plus you can easily top off the tube mag after a shot or two. Very few HD scenarios I can think of would involve continuously firing without any pauses that would allow you time to put a shell or two in the tube.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #35
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
A box magazine with a higher capacity than a tube mag might make sense, but 6 rds is no advantage over the tube mag. Tube extensions are easily added making all but the shortest bbl models capable of holding more than the box mag. Extras mags MSRP @ $35 each too, so if you want several yer gonna be payin' for them. Maybe when Magpul starts cranking out the 20rd ones @ $18 it might be practical...

Competition? Sure, a faster reload with the box mag after you empty the gun in rapid fire. Except there are other shotguns out there with bigger mags so you would be at a disadvantage anyway.

HD? 7 or 8 rds in the gun and a sidesaddle, butt-cuff, or bandolier of spare shells will keep you in the fight just as long or longer than the box mag and a spare. Plus you can easily top off the tube mag after a shot or two. Very few HD scenarios I can think of would involve continuously firing without any pauses that would allow you time to put a shell or two in the tube.
Excellent points, learn to master the combat and emergency shotgun reload while still shouldered from a sidesaddle. With the 870 TAC14 pistol grip only (no shoulder stock) its going to be a PITA to change that magazine out quickly unsupported.

I am sure it can be done but getting back on target in a hurry will be interesting. Again if you only want a range blaster it would be of no concern.

Enjoy.