Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 12:37 AM   #1
AllTen

AKaholic #: 181458
Default Lightning in Both Hands

Lightning in Both Hands

They're both done, and have been for awhile.

The Images: I've included images of my last three builds, and I've tried to do justice to the guns by putting as much effort into the imagery as I did to the builds.

The three lighting schemes used for these images, are as different from each other as I could possibly make them.

Vepr 1 (my 1st Vepr 12) is illuminated w/very warm and understated frontal lighting to effect a sepia tone/earth colors. Glass tubes are supporting a thick panel of translucent acrylic which is supporting the gun.

My Versa Max Tactical is in semi-silhouette and is sitting on a pair of Wolverines. Anybody who's worked in a refinery knows these are steel toed boots.

The inside joke of the image is that the VM and the Wolverines both have a kick. Everything is supported on a glass table top made out of the usual green glass which is normally used in this type of furniture (not optically correct Schott glass).

Lighting from above is projecting a shadow onto the glass from the boots, and I also illuminated the table just underneath the boots (which is also spilling onto the background behind the boots) creating an intense highlight which has overpowered that shadow with a glow which is outlined by the outside edges of the shadows on the table from the boots.

Vepr 2 (my 2nd Vepr 12) is sitting on grey seamless, a monochrome study via frontal lighting, of the texture, patina, and nuance of gunmetal and the placement of the HHS II (EOTech EXPS 2 + G33 magnifier) on this gun.

Vepr 1 and 2 are identical builds. I changed direction in the middle of these two builds, focusing in on everything that could make these guns easy for me to use for HD.

Starting from the back: The original factory skeleton stock that came w/the Vepr 12, for me, is an example of a great idea badly executed. The ACE stock is a better execution of the same idea and has the upgrade 1" recoil pad in back which has a decent cushion.

The buffer tube of the ACE stock is screwed into an adaptor made by Modular Driven Technologies because it flares down at the back to accept the bottom nipple of the ACE stock. The MDT adaptor also has male threads at the front which screw into the Carolina Shooters Supply folding adaptor which is angled so that the stock is now almost on axis w/the barrel.

The ATI recoil grip w/it's padded back strap has replaced the O.E.M. grip. I ordered some 2A rubber stoppers from the Widget Co. with a center hole. They're approx. 1" wide and 1 1/4" long and you can push these onto the charging handle of the bolt and they will not come off.

The stoppers provide a cushion between your hands and the bare metal of the charging handle making it a joy to cycle the gun.

I knocked out the O.E.M. rear sights, and had them replaced w/the Red Star Arms "Mojo" peep sights, which remind me of the ghost rings on my pumps; so no matter what gun I grab, the sights feel the same.

The railed Alfa Arms gas tube replaces the OEM gas tube because along w/being railed it doesn't get in the way of the ability to co-witness. The EFA hand guard below the gas tube is from the same manufacturer, and has a rail unlike the OEM hand guard.

I chose the the CAA Command Arms CQB angled grip to mate w/the EFA handguard because it's a more of a sideways grip, instead of having to twist my palm up to grasp the oem hand guard which is an uncomfortable grip for me.

The only problem w/the Command Arms grip being that I'm a lefty and I had to reverse the locking knob and screw to the other side, and angle the knob on the left side so it fit between my fingers.

In front of the angled grip I have some rail cover (cut from the end w/the metal locking tab) so that part of the rail won't grate on my fingers during recoil.

I got two HHS II sights, one is going on Vepr 2 which will enable me to use slugs in that gun, and one for the Versa Max (the top mounted rail is back on the gun) with its 22 inch barrel, which I figure is an advantage w/shooting slugs at a range of up to 100 yards.

I'm not going to throw a slug as far as 100 yds down range without the ability to place it "on the money", so I bought the sights.
Both sights have the 7mm riser for co-witness, and on/off, up/down controls on the side so they're not blocked by the magnifier.

The G33 magnifier swings out of the way if you want to use the sight alone.

You can't see from the pics, but I've taken a Dynex paint marker and applied some white paint to the tips of the center sight posts of both Veprs, as it was difficult to sight picture w/the iron sights when you're pointing the gun into the shadows. Dynex makes the most permanent paint out of a marker.

The Versa Max has a Mesa Tactical Urbino grip and stock w/riser and a MT 4 shell sidesaddle on the riser. Since doing this image, I've mounted the top picatinny rail on the receiver for mounting the other HHS II (EOTech + G33 magnifier) on this gun.

The VM also has the upgraded Carbon Arms magazine tube, Mohawk fore end, and a Strike Industries mini-grip. I'll also add the HIVIZ CompSight to replace the original front sight.

I tested the guns with some loads w/no hiccups, but intend on running everything I'm stocking up on now for a report after the holidays

I'll spend time enjoying the workmanship that went into these builds, but ultimately, these guns will help to protect my family.

Last edited by AllTen; 12-08-2017 at 06:49 PM.
AllTen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #2
VforVandetta

AKaholic #: 184420

Nice work. Beautiful photography. And your thoroughness in technical description is also pretty impressive.

I really really like the EFA lower handgaurds. Do they stay nice and tight on there?

Those 2 Veprs are just begging for some Vepr 12 ALG triggers I think. Especially if you are going to be taking some long slug shots. Muzzle brakes too!

The EOTech magnifier setup is pretty wild, bro! But I'm not gonna lie I wouldn't mind popping some steel BC zone targets at 1-200 yards with 1600FPS slugs, and that's definitely a challenge on 1x even with the 1MOA EoTEch.

I believe thats the EOtech with 2 dots in the reticle, no? Curious to see how that works for you with the slug trajectory, I myself would be tempted to try to sight the bottom one in for 100 yards and then see where that puts my near zero on the top dot.

Have you thought about a cheek riser m4 stock for that setup?

Fab Defense or LUTH-AR. The LUTH is pricey but SUPER badass.

-V
VforVandetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
AllTen

Thank you for the very kind words.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
Escape from NY

AKaholic #: 179890

Beautiful photos! Thanks for posting.
Escape from NY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
AllTen

Thank you very much, and also to you and absolutely everyone else on here....................Happy Holidays.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
AllTen

I just got off the CFARS site set up by the CADOJ where I'd spent hrs trying to register both my Vepr 12's under the new law and I'm exhausted.

I ended up completing the forms for both Veprs and paid the $15 reg fee, but they didn't make it easy.

Doing this is going to be very difficult on CA residents, especially coming up w/the pics they want.

They're not being specific enough on the content of the pics, it's not just that they want pics of the gun and the right/left side of the receiver...........it's that they haven't made clear they want it photographed in a way that you can make out the engraving on the receiver at the same time which may challenge the photographic skills of some folks.

I think that expectation is somewhat unreasonable.

If you put a period where you shouldn't and you correct it, the system doesn't always react, so you're stuck w/the mistake, having to clear everything and start over.

Vyatskie Polyany isn't on the drop down list, so you gotta select Russia, and note the manufacturer in comments, because if you don't select something on the list, the system won't let you proceed........you're stuck.

I even called them on the telephone about a snag, and the lady I got couldn't help and told me to go to the "Report an Issue" on the form and I guess you then wait for an answer.

Hell..........I don't want to do that and wait for a response, so I just cleared everything and redid everything until it was accepted.

On top of this, if you don't do everything quickly, in spite of the fact that the system is either slow to recognize changes/corrections, or won't recognize corrections at all, you're timed out.

I was successful at adding the first Vepr to the cart, but then upon completing the form for my second Vepr I got a prompt in Red that the system couldn't add the 2nd gun to the cart. I just redid it, and for some reason, that attempt went through.

Good luck if you're from CA, and you still gotta do this w/one of your guns, their system AIN'T smooth.

I would be remiss if I didn't include this link to a tutorial for CA folks, which at least gives you a chance of getting through this successfully, and yes it's a LOT of macaroni to have to deal w/and go through.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...w+registration

Last edited by AllTen; 02-10-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
AllTen

The CADOJ administrator from CFARS has contacted me twice in the last few days about the registration of my 2 Vepr 12's.

Incredibly............both times included requests for more pictures. One was because they said they couldn't see the engraving on the right side indicating the caliber.

I still haven't figured that out, but it isn't going to do any good arguing so I shot that side again. The second shot wasn't any different than the first time I shot it, but they accepted.

The second request to shoot another shot of the left side of my second gun was to provide a wider angle of the receiver. Haven't figured that out either, but I went ahead and did another shot, and again they accepted that.

If I'm honest about anything, it's when I haven't done a shot very well, or loused it up.

Having done this as a profession, I call my lousy shots, lousy, and they go in the waste basket w/absolutely no sweat.

So I went ahead and danced through hoops, but there was nothing wrong w/the original shots.

They have now accepted the submissions for both guns, including the redone photos, and I guess I wait until it's thumbs up or thumbs down. If it's thumbs down, the guns go up for sale which I'll have to do by the end of June.

This is kind of sad this process is this tough, and this detailed, and I'm afraid many folks aren't going to make it through to register their guns, not because there's anything wrong w/their guns, but because of this process.

Last edited by AllTen; 03-16-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
AllTen

Hallelujah!!!!......................Today is a great relief.

The letter/doc is addressed from Xavier Becerra Attorney General, CADOJ, approving the registration of both my Vepr 12's.

I expected a long and convoluted doc, but this was plain and simple, the notice of approval, the serial numbers, make, model, type, and caliber of both guns in less than 2 paragraphs.

I'm hoping everybody attempting to do this will have the same happy result.

Last edited by AllTen; 04-03-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
AllTen

Default TSLEB127RS-BULK - LEB127RS

Just got this ammo in yesterday from Target Sports for the cheapest price I could find which was still a lot ($199.00), but it did come w/free shipping.

Had to be shipped to a CA. FFL, but she only charges $5 for 500 rds.

These are the Federal 12 ga. Truball LE rifled slugs @ 1610 fps. I'll eventually run at the outdoor range up to maybe 200 yds., w/my red dot sights and magnifier to see what the limit is in accuracy.

Now I have seen a guy who can shoot on a video throw a number of these out to 200 yds. fairly accurately w/iron sights, so I've got high hopes using the red dots and magnifier, despite the fact that my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Federal says this ammo w/their "Truball" wads improve accuracy, so I'll see if that claim does anything for me besides making the ammo more expensive.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
History
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163408

Post about the outing and how the shells performed.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #11
AllTen

Talking

You got it.

In the meantime, I'll throw in a link to one of the 2 videos I saw (can't for the life of me find the 1st video) which inspired me that this kind of distance was a viable option for a shotgun, and yeah, I know it's not a rifle.

This guy is old like me, and I'm proud of him, and it's an inspiration, he's hitting within the width of a human torso w/quite a bit of his rounds, from 690 feet. Seems to me to bring home the point that having a shotgun as defense doesn't mean you have to wait for somebody/something to be right on top of you to use it.

Anyway............these were a few of the considerations I was thinking of when I ordered the ammo.

I'll make a report of how they perform for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTyCcip-ks

Last edited by AllTen; 04-22-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
AllTen

Evidently the process has gotten rough for some folks trying to register their guns under the new law, with one individual having his gun confiscated by the CADOJ because of its illegal configuration from the photos he sent into the DOJ.

Here's the advisory and disclaimer from the tutorial on Cal Guns............

"Disclaimer & Warnings (please read first!)
I'm not a lawyer, I'm just a regular guy trying to help sort out this mess for everyone.
While much of this information has been acquired from writings and webinars by CRPA's legal team, no lawyers (to my knowledge) have reviewed this guide for accuracy.
Read ALL the warnings contained within this guide - it is absolutely possible for someone to commit a jailable offense during registration (or inadvertently admit to having previously committed a jailable offense), and DOJ has intentionally laid some traps in the registration application to catch offenders.
Proceeding with Assault Weapon registration is done at your own risk. Be careful, folks. After you submit your registration, you cannot retract the information you sent to DOJ!
At least 1 person has already reported that DOJ has confiscated their firearm, as a result of trying to register it in an improper configuration because they didn't know. This is no joke, please pay attention to what you're doing!"

Last edited by AllTen; 04-29-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #13
AllTen

I saw this recently.......................here............

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...register-rifle

On the same page under "Related", there's a reference to the fact that the CFARS site was continually crashing under the weight of so many folks trying to last minute register before the June 30th deadline.

I hate to see this...........this guy is in a lot of trouble, and I hope the fact that he was trying to follow the law by registering his gun, will carry a great deal of weight at his trial.

Folks intent on breaking the law don't usually "turn themselves in first".

Last edited by AllTen; 07-02-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
AllTen

I'm including 2 links which I think are "must reads" in terms of what led to this incident/mess, and it was more than just the issue of the law.

There was some equal parts confusion and arrogance, also a "big mouth" just at the wrong time, and some other intangibles that led to this, not just the laws on the books, and I'll let whoever reads this portion out who was guilty of what after checking out the specifics according to this.................

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...onies+Register

This link clarifies quite a few things and is also a must read...............

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1460077

Last edited by AllTen; 07-04-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #15
AllTen

A great many folks have been left in "Limbo", and I hope that the litigation now under way will allow them to eventually register their guns w/some kind of resolution with the CADOJ.

Evidently there were around 6000 or so of us that made it through the CFARS process to register roungly 12,000 guns between Jan and June, with incredibly just more than 50,000 applications for the registering of guns as Assault Weapons pending as of the deadline of June 30.

I'll include the article where I got these numbers with the caveat that although I don't have a reason to doubt these numbers, I've got no way to verify them.

If the article is accurate, this has been a mess.

As I mentioned awhile ago, I worried that this was going to end up like this, and I'm sorry it has.

Your skill or lack of it to be able to navigate through the very difficult CFARS site/registration process, and/or not being a proficient photographer, and the CFARS site crashing continually during the last days before the june 30th deadline shouldn't be the roadblocks that contribute to anyone not being able to register their guns.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...cle-1027379659

PS: One big concern unless I've got this figured the wrong way, if there's no grace period/court decision to work this out, then there's a serious problem for these 50,000 folks as the CADOJ now has documented proof that these folks are in possession of these guns.

Last edited by AllTen; 07-26-2018 at 09:08 AM.