Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 06-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

AKaholic #: 181685
Default $499 Complete AR Rifle- Radical FireArms.. is it worth it; we will see.

Having to fight my 12 year old over which AR I wanna shoot if she just so happens to be shooting it that day had me think;
It's about time she had her own.
With the recent "value" ARs coming out now days I figured what the heck, lets try one out.
I have build at least a couple dozen in the past and have bought a few manufactured rifles that cost more than my car but, this time we are looking to see what we could get on the cheap and just how it would perform.
Not too mention she wants to try her hand at camo painting one herself....
I bought a few Radical Firearms uppers in the past and never had any issues with them. The rails sometimes need to be lock tited at the allen screws but, other than that they ran fine.
Then came the whole Radical Firearms AR rifle with 1:7 twist and free float rail for $499.... delivered.
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/77.aspx

Showed it to my daughter, she concurred and we went for it.

3 days after my card was charged the rifle showed up.... pretty fast shipping, I like. We opened the included black soft case and found the rifle and a GI metal mag nestled inside.
Upon first glance everything looked nice. Once I pulled the take down pins I found my first flaw. Seemed there was metal shavings (aluminum) all over the oily BGG. I quickly snapped a picture of it and looked all over for metal wear but didn’t find any at that time.

Once we got it into the basement we took it apart and cleaned it really good. Inside the buffer tube I could see the black anodizing rubbed down to bare metal marks in the tube, I am assuming from the buffer rubbing on it.
After thoroughly cleaning it out I cycled the action at least 40 or 50 times but didnt see any more shaving of any sort. Still not sure if it came from the rifle or the shavings were picked up from the assembly process in an unclean environment.
Off to the range to shoot it.
My daughter sighted in slightly high at 50 years for the first couple of mags and then moved onto steel at 100 meters. She kept complaining about the butt stock and how "rough" it was. Thinking she was just being "Girly" I dismissed it and kept shooting my ARs. Towards the end of the day she showed me her shoulder and it was indeed scraped up like road rash almost.
Seems the GI looking buttstock has really really sharp checkering on it. Radical didn’t even seem to put in the metal sling loops in these buttstocks.
When we got home we opted to swap out the rubber grip for a MOE pistol grip and MOE butt stock, she likes it much better.

Fully setup as in the above pictures without a mag it is 7.65LBS. This being lighter than my Stag 8T piston rifle, my daughter can run and gun with it without claiming it is too heavy. She did double tap drills at 15 yards with from the standing position easily.

The machining is pretty nice.... I know its not the greatest quality for $499 but, the dimpled bolt release is a nice touch and the Radical Arms logo on the side and rail are nice touches as well.

We got thru 300 rounds (PPU 62gr, Fed 62gr. and ZQI 62gr.) with it on its first range session and the only failure was it did not lock open after one mag but, I am assuming it was the Pmag and not the rifle. No other failures or issues with mags.

I am excited to get this out on paper and see what the 1:7 barrel will do with 75 and 77 grain stuff compared to my $1000+ ARs.
I have IMI 69gr and 77gr on hand, as well as Hornady 75grain and some PPU Match 69gr in route as well.

We cleaned it once again at home and there was no metal shavings what so ever in the rifle..... hopefully that was a bad QA QC install, we emailed Radical and sent the pic as well.
- More to follow as we try to put some more down range on this later on.

Last edited by mdewitt71; 06-10-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling
mdewitt71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
ruger1991

AKaholic #: 180315

I was wondering how those were.

I have heard good things about the uppers, and the complete rifle is a pretty enticing price.

Looking forward to updates.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
cubanb

AKaholic #: 173896

I am loving these cheap AR's from what I've seen they will handle a decent amount of abuse Just add loctite to the rail and add plenty of CLP and she will sing
cubanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
zombienetwork

AKaholic #: 185861

Whittakers has the Smith M&P for 499 for their fathers day sale. Cant beat that price for a name ar.
zombienetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanb View Post
I am loving these cheap AR's from what I've seen they will handle a decent amount of abuse Just add loctite to the rail and add plenty of CLP and she will sing
I agree.....
I know this is AKFiles but, everyone should own an AR..... and these are not a big chunk of change like other models.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #6
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

The complete rifle and warranty is a steal at $500.

I bought the quad rail 7.62x39 complete upper with nitrided.BCG for $399.
No range report yet.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
mostholycerebys
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165655

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombienetwork View Post
Whittakers has the Smith M&P for 499 for their fathers day sale. Cant beat that price for a name ar.
Sold out now but DAMN that was a good price. That was actually mu jump price for that rifle. Too bad I missed it.

Ah, well, there will be other deals.
mostholycerebys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
zombienetwork

The Radicals are 499 again at centerfire...doesn't have the name of the smith but I am a fan of the round rail for those that do not want an accessory rack on their rifle.

The only knock is no sites included but it has an upgrade in the Ergo grip.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #9
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombienetwork View Post
The Radicals are 499 again at centerfire...doesn't have the name of the smith but I am a fan of the round rail for those that do not want an accessory rack on their rifle.

The only knock is no sites included but it has an upgrade in the Ergo grip.
Yea, backup sights are a miss but, they can always be added down the road.
I refuse to buy a AR with the GI plastic hndguards or the cheese grater quad rails now days when so many other (better) options are available for the money.....
Old 06-13-2016, 03:54 AM   #10
zombienetwork

I traded my ar with the Radical upper before I ever even got it to the range...but it was for a mak 90 so I hope everyone here understands.

But at the last gun show I handled some other ars and the round rail was much more comfortable than any of the quad rails. As I have no desire to hang a bunch of accessories off the ar I will lean towards the Radical round rail for my next build.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:10 AM   #11
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdewitt71 View Post
I refuse to buy a AR with the GI plastic hndguards or the cheese grater quad rails now days when so many other (better) options are available for the money.....
Same here.

I'd rather build my own, but when you can buy a complete rifle with a nice handguard delivered for $500 with a warranty,
it is hard to pass up. The OP added a nice grip and basic Magpul stock to it for really only ~$65 or so.

I built an all NiB rifle (LPK & BCG) with a match grade barrel & all Magpul furniture for around $575
Throw in an upgraded trigger based on preference, and G2G

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Old 06-14-2016, 01:32 AM   #12
89grand
It's Flat

AKaholic #: 178030

I have a 7.5" Radical pistol, and after I added an adjustable gas block, it runs great. Unlike AK's, most people can make/assemble a decent AR these days...even on the cheap.
89grand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #13
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

What's the story on the gas block?
Mattylight30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #14
bbguns44

AKaholic #: 6939

You rich folks can have your fancy $500 Ar. I'll stick with my $400 AR from PSA. Mine doesn't have any metal shavings on the bcg either.
bbguns44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #15
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguns44 View Post
You rich folks can have your fancy $500 Ar. I'll stick with my $400 AR from PSA. Mine doesn't have any metal shavings on the bcg either.
To build a PSA rifle for $400 not counting shipping and transfer fees is amazing in of itself.
I would gamble you are a bit closer to $500 total then you are letting on tho...lol

We are in grand times gentlemen......quite unexpected uber low prices considering
how close we are to Hillary possibly being elected.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
To build a PSA rifle for $400 not counting shipping and transfer fees is amazing in of itself.
I would gamble you are a bit closer to $500 total then you are letting on tho...lol

We are in grand times gentlemen......quite unexpected uber low prices considering
how close we are to Hillary possibly being elected.
I would like to see the total bill on a $400 build.... these days.
Several years ago; sure.
I dont wanna see I got this for "free"... nothing is free, it always costs something down the road.
This Radical was $499 shipped with a $12 FFL charge (if I needed one).
I put on the MOE stuff for $42.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

So I got a response back from my pic of the BCG.

'We apologize for the delayed response.
We had our QC station next to our magazine modification station. My guess is that some magazine shaving some how got in there. We have moved the QC station so this should never happen again. I would clean it and go shoot, it should be just fine. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if there are any other issues we can help you with."
Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #18
89grand
It's Flat

Quote:
Several years ago; sure.
I dont wanna see I got this for "free"... nothing is free, it always costs something down the road.
The cheapest I did an AR was from PSA, and it cost $399 shipped for a Magpul edition midlength rifle kit, during a Labor day sale, and I put it together on a $40 Anderson lower. So that's $439, but then I added a Magpul MBUS, that I already had, but did buy it at one for about $40 or so, so just under $500 total.

Last edited by 89grand; 06-16-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #19
HPP
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 19940

I would tear it down and go over every inch looking for metal shavings, that's a bit disturbing.

Of course after you shoot a few times there will be brass shavings everywhere so probably not a huge deal but still...

Hope it runs well. Cheapest one I built was around 650 with little magpul flip-ups and a spikes lower. 499 complete is a steal.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #20
Raiderfan001
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181229

Quote:
Several years ago; sure.
It's easily doable with the cheaper PTAC stuff during a sale. My PSA rifle came out to $459 total. $417 shipped for the rifle kit and a $42 Anderson lower. That's including the $15 transfer fee since I bought 10 lowers at one time. If I got a cheaper kit without the CTR stock, Magpul handguard and pistol grip I could have easily been under $400. But for $460 I’m perfectly happy with my mid-length Magpul'd out rifle.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...rifle-kit.html
Raiderfan001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #21
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
It's easily doable with the cheaper PTAC stuff during a sale. My PSA rifle came out to $459 total. $417 shipped for the rifle kit and a $42 Anderson lower. That's including the $15 transfer fee since I bought 10 lowers at one time. If I got a cheaper kit without the CTR stock, Magpul handguard and pistol grip I could have easily been under $400. But for $460 I’m perfectly happy with my mid-length Magpul'd out rifle.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...rifle-kit.html
$460 I agree and have built for around that....
but, I am talking $400 even.
Splitting hairs maybe but, its like not counting shipping costs or FFL charges. Kind of like people bragging about reloading for 10 cents around round..... They aint counting the primers or the brass or they dont factor in the press, dies, scales, and everything it cost for start up.
Sure down the road after you have loaded enuf to pay it all off then it might be cents to a bullet. I have been loading for 35 years, it aint what it use to be like that is for sure.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #22
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

^ Exactly.

Quote:
Old 06-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #23
mostholycerebys
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165655

I havent really seen a legit $400 AR that doesnt use the $109 New Frontier polymer lower. Seen a couple of those with the $289 5-MOA PSA complete uppers.

My bad, someone had an Anderson complete lower for $109 a few weeks back.

Still, you need a rear sight for $40, or a Bushnell Red Dot for $30AR + $10 riser.

You could beat $400 with some crazy luck and hard shopping. Like, ive seen NFA lowers for $25, some LPKs for $24, $20 stock kits, $60 barrels, $6 gas tubes, $7 gas blocks, $30 free-float tubes with barrel nut, some guy knows a $10 transfer FFL, etc, etc. But you really gotta be looking, are usually taking a chance with some pretty shady vendors, be lucky enough to get in before it sells out, and its usually not the best quality.

But typically, $450-$500 gets you a LOT more. Especially if you troll Ebay for slighty-used stuff being sold by mall ninjas that are 'upgrading' to whats in Nutnfancy/Yeagars most recent video.
mostholycerebys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #24
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

Radical AR's seems to me the AR I will get next. 2 thumbs up.

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9
—-///——///———-///——
Originally posted by ColonelKorn

According to another long-term ALS survivor, Jason Becker, the disease doesn't affect the ability to lay pipe. Imagine Hawking's robot voice saying, "Yes. Yes. Shake those. Titties. Bitch.."
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:30 AM   #25
89grand
It's Flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattylight30 View Post
What's the story on the gas block?
If that was aimed at me, mine was over gassed. Still was pretty reliable, but it shoots so much smoother with an adjustable gas block, and ejects much better too.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #26
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostholycerebys View Post
I havent really seen a legit $400 AR that doesnt use the $109 New Frontier polymer lower. Seen a couple of those with the $289 5-MOA PSA complete uppers.

My bad, someone had an Anderson complete lower for $109 a few weeks back.

Still, you need a rear sight for $40, or a Bushnell Red Dot for $30AR + $10 riser.

You could beat $400 with some crazy luck and hard shopping. Like, ive seen NFA lowers for $25, some LPKs for $24, $20 stock kits, $60 barrels, $6 gas tubes, $7 gas blocks, $30 free-float tubes with barrel nut, some guy knows a $10 transfer FFL, etc, etc. But you really gotta be looking, are usually taking a chance with some pretty shady vendors, be lucky enough to get in before it sells out, and its usually not the best quality.

But typically, $450-$500 gets you a LOT more. Especially if you troll Ebay for slighty-used stuff being sold by mall ninjas that are 'upgrading' to whats in Nutnfancy/Yeagars most recent video.
Yep.....
This is a $499 REGULAR PRICE, not a sale- not on clearance, and not side deal off the table... Reg. listed price.
I am not saying Radical is all that; the verdict is still out but, for $499 I am willing to try it.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #27
darink300zx

AKaholic #: 183098

I do a lot of PSA shopping and have several of their rifle kits, most built on Anderson lowers. The best I ever did for a non-ptac build was 440, but that was without a rear sight. PSA had a rifle kit on sale for 399.99 with free shipping and I picked up an Anderson lower from Centerfire for 39.99, no FFL fee as I picked it up at their warehouse.

In reading this thread I remembered just the other day PSA had a Ptac rifle kit for 349.99 (which even with shipping, on a 40 dollar anderson lower would be right around 400), but when I just now went to look for it to post the link, bam, no cheap rifle kits or barreled uppers in stock. Wow, what a difference a week and terrorist shooting makes.

Darin.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #28
Ed in Alaska
Senior Master-Bitcher

AKaholic #: 183760

So how is this working out for you?

Thucydides
History of the Peloponnesian War (ca 410 )

" Being a professional I prepare for a technically proficient, well trained, well equipped, and well supplied enemy, but I would prefer a poorly trained idiot with a shitty weapon and no logistical support."

4/80 - 5/08 : U.S. Navy

Hooo-yaaaah!
Ed in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #29
Drunk3n Snip3r

AKaholic #: 183090

I was looking to buy one just because the price is awesome, but when time came to buy they were gone, sucky
Drunk3n Snip3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #30
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk3n Snip3r View Post
I was looking to buy one just because the price is awesome, but when time came to buy they were gone, sucky
Yea, I think right now any AR is gonna be sold out rather quickly. But, I refuse to pay high prices on something just cause of the kraze.

I would set up a notifications from AIM, Centerfire, and Classic for this model, that is what I did and waited it out.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #31
Drunk3n Snip3r

AKaholic #: 183090

Quote:
Yea, I think right now any AR is gonna be sold out rather quickly. But, I refuse to pay high prices on something just cause of the kraze.

I would set up a notifications from AIM, Centerfire, and Classic for this model, that is what I did and waited it out.
good call. EDIT primary arms has them instock but at $549 buy or wait, seems like retail price now is $529 anyways.

Last edited by Drunk3n Snip3r; 06-22-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Drunk3n Snip3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #32
Ed in Alaska
Senior Master-Bitcher

Get this, as always up here in Alaska these jackasses will try anything. Same gun, and this asshole is peddling it for $850.00 after he buys it online for $499.99 , runs 200 rounds through it, and adds a cheap optic. "oh, and by the way, I'll jack the price up in an effort to get you to pay for the 200 rounds I ran through it.."

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...23_5_56mm.html

I really do, I love Alaska, but some of these folks are insane, just bizarre. I always laugh that I could advertise a new $20.00 up here and some jackass would call offering me $15.00 for it, and begin sobbing when I said no.

Thucydides

" Being a professional I prepare for a technically proficient, well trained, well equipped, and well supplied enemy, but I would prefer a poorly trained idiot with a shitty weapon and no logistical support."

Hooo-yaaaah!
Old 06-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #33
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

that is even the very first version with the cheesy quad rail hand shredders.
I refuse to own a AR with quad rails now days... almost as bad as the all metal front fixed sight posts.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #34
Ed in Alaska
Senior Master-Bitcher

Y'all see Rob Ski just did the 2,000 round update on this particular gun. Looks like it is holding up nicely.

Thucydides

Hooo-yaaaah!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #35
zombienetwork

The ar I built came in real close to 400 through real luck mostly. I picked up the complete lower from another forum for 135 with magpul furniture that I then took off and sold for 80 bringing my net down to just 55 for a complete lower already built.

My upper was a radical I ordered on black Friday and got an ergo grip and charging handle for 240.

The lower was 55.

BCG was 85.

Magazine and one box of ammo were another 25.

The sights I had laying around after a failed sig 522 experiment but were maybe 20$.

So there you have an ar with sights and a mag and box of ammo for 425. I doubt I could duplicate it as that was dumb luck landing the complete lower that had furniture to sell.

All told on that I added in another 100 in ammo and 30 in mags and traded it for the mak90 I now have.