Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SKSs, SVTs and other orphans

Notices

Old 06-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
deerollman

AKaholic #: 2864
Default Any more SKSs being imported?

Is anyone still importing any type of SKSs, or does anyone expect more to come in the future? I was lucky enough to be collecting when all the Yugo and Alby stuff was coming in. I've seen that SKS prices have tripled in some cases. I'm considering selling some of my guns and I'm kind of in the middle on the SKSs, so I'm wondering if the inventory is still increasing?
Old 06-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
Boris Badinov

AKaholic #: 191152

Haven't heard of any new Type56 imports. Supposedly Albania has many more stockpiled. Small batches of Yugoslavian 59/66's were the most recent.

Albanian 56-1's. Nope

Soviet guns are illegal to import.

No idea if the Romanians have any more M56 caches stashed away.

It'd be great to see some fresh batches from Albania or wherever else on earth the Chinese sent them. It might depress the market some and bring prices down on type 56s--which would be cool. But the values of those already here would take a hit if they showed up in as large a quantity as the previous Albanian hauls.

Maybe someone can get put the word out to our illustrious Orange Genius before he sits down with KIm (not Kardashian) on Monday-- and smuggle a few crates back on AF1.

Last edited by Boris Badinov; 06-10-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Boris Badinov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
Sledge303

AKaholic #: 10623

Century Arms and Royal Tiger brought out all the SKS rifles that Albania tendered for sale.
Century had to do some legal work to bring out Chinese SKS rifles, which limited the years of manufacture that were available for import.
Sledge303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:24 AM   #4
Boris Badinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge303 View Post
Century Arms and Royal Tiger brought out all the SKS rifles that Albania tendered for sale.
Century had to do some legal work to bring out Chinese SKS rifles, which limited the years of manufacture that were available for import.
There were more importers than just CAI and Royal Tiger. TGI. Foxtrot, and I.O. for example.

What was available to import from Albania was limited primarily by the 50+year requirement for C&R. That's why the serial numbers on the Sino-Albanian guns ended at 7mil/7th year guns which first entered the US in 2014.

At the time, the 7mil guns were mistakenly thought to be 1963 (they are now known to be 1962) -- so they were cleared for C&R via the 50+year requirement in 2014. Since then, going on the old and incorrect dating hypothesis accepted by the BATF, the 8,9,10, and 11 mil guns are now cleared for C&R. Using the current dating theory, the 12mil/12th year guns are also C&R eligible.

There are (or were) many more type56s in storage in Albania. Seems all we lack is a US importer with the means and interest to go and get them. My guess is that they'd likely have to pay the Albanians a lot more for them next time around-- and for what they would be able to sell them for in a market already flooded with Chineses guns, it just doesn't seem like the motivation is great enough to warrant the effort to go and get them.

The Albanians didn't start making their own sks until 1967 and in extremely limited yearly production numbers. So, it seems more than safe to assume that the Chinese were supplying Tirana with Type56's until the Sino Albanian political split in the early 1970's.

The end of imports from the Albanian stockpiles had far more to do with the market demand in the US than any limits Albania put on what was for sale. They likely sold us just as much as the US importers thought was legal to sell at the time.

Last edited by Boris Badinov; 06-11-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:41 AM   #5
Boris Badinov

I cant find any evidence that Royal Tiger actually imported the Albanian guns. They definitely sold them. But the RT guns would have to have been imported by someone else.

List of Chinese Type 56 Importers
:
http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2111.0
Old 06-12-2018, 12:51 AM   #6
Sledge303

AKaholic #: 10623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Badinov View Post
I cant find any evidence that Royal Tiger actually imported the Albanian guns. They definitely sold them. But the RT guns would have to have been imported by someone else.

List of Chinese Type 56 Importers
:
http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2111.0
Royal Tiger is the distributor side of I.O. Inc.
Both are controlled by the same person, Uli Weigand.

Also, surplus guns with China as the origin / manufacturer have some particular restrictions besides needing to be being C&R.
Due to the federal import restrictions on Chinese firearms, In the majority of cases they would not be approved for import.
At Knob Creek I spoke to reps from 2 different importers who have brought guns out of Albania.
Those Chinese SKS rifles had a very specific legal exception which allowed them to be brought into the USA.
It is my understanding that the people who were there brought out everything that was legal to be imported to the USA.
They had to handle each rifle and check the markings.
Its a lot of work in not the best of conditions, but it is what they do as a business.
Sledge303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:56 AM   #7
capta

AKaholic #: 170993

There are supposedly a bunch still in the Ukraine, like 150,000. The Ukranians may need them too much right now to let go of them, however.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
There are supposedly a bunch still in the Ukraine, like 150,000. The Ukranians may need them too much right now to let go of them, however.
The salt mine that Ukraine held most of it's surplus was captured by Rebels in 2014.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ons-cache-mine
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
Boris Badinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
There are definitely more in Ukraine. As Russian/Soviet guns, they would still be illegal to import into the US.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
Boris Badinov

Quote:
=Sledge303;4672616]Royal Tiger is the distributor side of I.O. Inc.
Both are controlled by the same person, Uli Weigand.

Also, surplus guns with China as the origin / manufacturer have some particular restrictions besides needing to be being C&R.
Due to the federal import restrictions on Chinese firearms, In the majority of cases they would not be approved for import...
Those Chinese SKS rifles had a very specific legal exception which allowed them to be brought into the USA.
+1

I was not aware of the affiliation between RT and I.O. Good info.

The specific legal requirements center largely on getting around China's status as a "Proscribed Nation" by determination the US State Department. The legal importation was granted because Albania is not a proscribed nation -- as well as federal requirements met regarding the Albanian stockpiles of Chinese small arms.:

"27 CFR 447.52

(e) Applications for permits to import articles that were manufactured in, or have been in, a country or area proscribed under this section may be approved where the articles are covered by Category I(a) of the Import List (other than those subject to the provisions of 27 CFR Part 479), are importable as curios or relics under the provisions of 27 CFR 478.118, and meet the following criteria:
(1) The articles were manufactured in a proscribed country or area prior to the date, as established by the Department of State, the country or area became proscribed, or, were manufactured in a non-proscribed country or area; and
(2) The articles have been stored for the five year period immediately prior to importation in a non-proscribed country or area."

My interpretation the above requirements is that they act as a check on the proscribed nation's ability to profit from the import and sale of eligible arms in the US market.

Sadly, looking at list of proscribed nations, it looks as if Albania may be the only nation with a stockpile of Chinese small arms still available for import into the US.

BATF's list of Proscribed nations:
Afghanistan, Burma, Belarus, China, Cuba, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Haiti, Liberia, Iran, Mongolia, Iraq, Rwanda, Libya, Somalia, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Unita (Angola), Vietnam.

-- from: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...war-restricted

Last edited by Boris Badinov; 06-12-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #11
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 181106

Would be nice to see mass imports of inexpensive SKS rifles and other C&R type Russian and Chinese firearms. The 1989 ban was introduced by an executive order from George H.W. Bush. President Trump could rescind the ban with the stroke of his pen in one afternoon, and nothing could stop him from doing so. It’s entirely within his power as POTUS. The trouble is that it isn’t on his radar and he simply doesn't give a shit.