Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #946
.32acp

AKaholic #: 180226

put about 40 rounds through my mag on Sunday. 1 failure to feed, didn't pickup round. Probably just needs some more rounds through it to get everything worn in and working. Nice magazine
.32acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #947
JohnnyCashout

AKaholic #: 191266

15 rounders when?
JohnnyCashout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #948
Vepr7.62x54

AKaholic #: 185728

The four magazines I bought ran flawlessly with the bolt mod, and the minor amount of recontouring of the bottom bolt lug worked well, too. I loaded a full mag on one, after testing once, already, chambered the first round, and then I ejected it to check for any damage to the bullet or case mouth. All looked well in order.
Vepr7.62x54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #949
sellersm

AKaholic #: 165847

The two I received fit fine, I had to do the bolt mod. Lord-willing I'll get to the range tomorrow to test them "live"... Will update after I do that.

NOTE: really nice, solid mag, so glad to have a metal option! THANK YOU to Csspecs for making these!!!
sellersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #950
sellersm

Update: was able to get to the range today, freezing cold out there!! Anyway, the 2 mags performed well, had a mix of ammo including Brown Bear heavy 203gr, didn't test any brass cased ammo, forgot to bring it - DOH!

I also tested one of the troublesome 10-round SGM mags, since I had to perform the 'bolt mod', and it worked flawlessly!! Double win in my book!

This was also the 1st time out with my new Bonesteel LH folding stock, which holds a Magpul stock and I have an ATI Skorpion pistol grip on it. All good! Now I need to save up for a good handguard, thinking of the MI model.

Now I need more of these great mags, when I get some stuff sold and have more $$$ in my pocket! :-)

Thanks again, Csspecs, for the great work!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #951
JohnnyCashout

AKaholic #: 191266

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellersm View Post
Now I need more of these great mags, when I get some stuff sold and have more $$$ in my pocket! :-)

Thanks again, Csspecs, for the great work!

sounds like me... I had basically put my vepr away for the last couple of years. the 10 round csspecs mags coming out re-ignited my interest and I ended up getting a new handguard, folding stock, pistol grip, scope and mount in addition to the csspecs mags and its become one of my favorite rifles
JohnnyCashout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #952
PRegner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 186235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepr7.62x54 View Post
The four magazines I bought ran flawlessly with the bolt mod, and the minor amount of recontouring of the bottom bolt lug worked well, too. I loaded a full mag on one, after testing once, already, chambered the first round, and then I ejected it to check for any damage to the bullet or case mouth. All looked well in order.
I op-checked my magazines this morning after performing the bolt modification, and they worked great. I didn't have to take very much material off my bolt either (about half of what was illustrated in some of the photos on this thread). I'm still waiting for someone to come-up with a 20 round drum (the guys at CSSpecs seem pretty clever, and determined to manufacture a quality product. Maybe they can solve the Vepr-54R drum conundrum).

"Islam in a man is more dangerous than rabies in a dog" ~Winston Churchill~
PRegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #953
sellersm

While I would love a drum mag, the stupid laws here in CO would prohibit its purchase.

I'd settle for a 15-round mag!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #954
Vepr7.62x54

AKaholic #: 185728

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRegner View Post
I op-checked my magazines this morning after performing the bolt modification, and they worked great. I didn't have to take very much material off my bolt either (about half of what was illustrated in some of the photos on this thread). I'm still waiting for someone to come-up with a 20 round drum (the guys at CSSpecs seem pretty clever, and determined to manufacture a quality product. Maybe they can solve the Vepr-54R drum conundrum).
I could go for a drum like that. It would provide all of that capacity while still allowing easy bench shooting.
Vepr7.62x54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #955
jeremiahwillis

AKaholic #: 187133

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRegner View Post
I think someone is working on one, they seem to be keeping it secret though. Here's what I know. It's a " contraption that holds more than 10 rounds " Its not a magazine, and its " very exciting" and If your thinking its a 20 round double to single stack then its " not what you would expect ". So, yeah sounds like there's one on the way, but that's all I know, I wish I had a clue as to how many rounds they are planning on making it hold, but no hint yet. I'm still looking forward to the 15 round mags, There's 140 something 10 rounders left, I'll bet that when that number gets closer to zero we'll see the 15's. The " contraption " is suppose to happen sometime this year.
jeremiahwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #956
PRegner
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahwillis View Post
I think someone is working on one, they seem to be keeping it secret though. Here's what I know. It's a " contraption that holds more than 10 rounds " Its not a magazine, and its " very exciting" and If your thinking its a 20 round double to single stack then its " not what you would expect ". So, yeah sounds like there's one on the way, but that's all I know, I wish I had a clue as to how many rounds they are planning on making it hold, but no hint yet. I'm still looking forward to the 15 round mags, There's 140 something 10 rounders left, I'll bet that when that number gets closer to zero we'll see the 15's. The " contraption " is suppose to happen sometime this year.
There was a poster on Vepr.org that said he was working on a drum, but I haven't heard much about it since his first few posts. I'm guessing that he's working on a pan-style drum, similar to one used on a Lewis gun (only slung under the receiver instead of on top). I saw pictures of a prototype done by a different guy, but it seems kind of bulky and ungainly, and there was no comment as to how well it functioned.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #957
jeremiahwillis

Yeah, I haven't seen a working one either, The best idea Ive seen yet was the dtm drum idea, I even bought one, 63 rounds and heavy, only real problem is rocking it in, you would have to use almost a whole csspecs magazine on top of it, just to have enough room, then you would have like 14 -15 left over bullets, and probably not enough spring power to get the bullets up fast enough, but if sgm fails at or or just doesn't make a drum, I might try to get a dtm to work, figure out some way to lock it in and out without rocking it. It was sgm dropping hints about a drum, or "contraption", That 20 round mag is never going to work and they did just finish the vepr 12 drum, its massive, I imagine a 54r drum would be huge, but what fire power. I really would like to have my vepr54 be like a super ak47, luckily I stocked up on surplus ammo while it was still plentiful and cheap, but the lack of 30 -40 - 75 round capacity really gives my ak's a big advantage. Maybe this year will be the year the vepr54 gets way cooler.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:35 AM   #958
jeremiahwillis

Oh, PRegner. I told you modifying the bolt wasn't a bad idea. I'm glad to see you came around.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #959
PRegner
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Yeah, I haven't seen a working one either, The best idea Ive seen yet was the dtm drum idea, I even bought one, 63 rounds and heavy, only real problem is rocking it in, you would have to use almost a whole csspecs magazine on top of it, just to have enough room, then you would have like 14 -15 left over bullets, and probably not enough spring power to get the bullets up fast enough, but if sgm fails at or or just doesn't make a drum, I might try to get a dtm to work, figure out some way to lock it in and out without rocking it. It was sgm dropping hints about a drum, or "contraption", That 20 round mag is never going to work and they did just finish the vepr 12 drum, its massive, I imagine a 54r drum would be huge, but what fire power. I really would like to have my vepr54 be like a super ak47, luckily I stocked up on surplus ammo while it was still plentiful and cheap, but the lack of 30 -40 - 75 round capacity really gives my ak's a big advantage. Maybe this year will be the year the vepr54 gets way cooler.
I'm not sure that a 20 round drum for the Vepr-54r would be all that huge. X-Products makes a 50 round .308 drum that is rather compact, and works well (granted, the .308 is a rimless cartridge, which helps).

As far as "contraptions" go, maybe they're cooking-up something similar to the Nambu Type-11 with it's hopper feeding system, or perhaps something that would feed linked 7.62x54R up through the magazine well. It'll be interesting to see what actually comes out (if anything).

Quote:
Oh, PRegner. I told you modifying the bolt wasn't a bad idea. I'm glad to see you came around.
Yeah, in as much as parts from Molot are as rare as hen's teeth, I was little leery, but I took the plunge and benefitted from it.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #960
aceoutdoor

AKaholic #: 162084

Are the 15 rounders going to be produced or not?
aceoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #961
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceoutdoor View Post
Are the 15 rounders going to be produced or not?
Just delayed a little.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #962
robmkivseries70

AKaholic #: 21765

Got my 10 rounder today. Wow, is that a solid magazine. Gotta do the bolt modification next.
Best,
Rob
robmkivseries70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #963
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

please post status on 15 round magazines and update VEPR.org also
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #964
Cyklopz

AKaholic #: 186238

Updates?

Cy
Cyklopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #965
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

So we finally got around to testing my joined spring magazine. I was not happy with the spring tension as the spring pitch is still too flat. Results did not surprise with an average of 1 empty chamber per 30 fired rounds.

I'm going to check with my spring guy to see if he can get me some springs with a higher spring pitch to increase tension about 30%.

Still getting to many empty chambers for them to get approved.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #966
bondmen
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 86277

We are counting on your ^ success so we too can have success when the bell rings.

There is a day in the future when we all will hear the same bell ring.
bondmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #967
sellersm

everytime a bell rings...

Waiting (im)patiently for word on the new mags...
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #968
nuckldust
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 9533

im ok with the 10's i reckon but will buy a 15.
nuckldust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #969
smeeg
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 161925

With veprs cut off from import what magazine do you plan on making next?
Hopefully you made your money back on the tooling/time on these magazines
smeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #970
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

Meh.. We are wrapping up the vepr
30-06 mags and we should finish the vepr 54r 15 rd mags. Eventually.

I have been shifted back to the construction side of the company for the past couple weeks.. I fill orders in the evening and touch back to the shop through the day. I actually make more working jobsites but the machine shop has air conditioning a coffee pot and a toilet that flushes instead of blue stuff.. But hey I'm getting paid and all is well.

Yes the sanctions do change the priority of mags.. But we will still eventually make them..
Old 06-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #971
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
30-06 mags and we should finish the vepr 54r 15 rd mags. Eventually.

I have been shifted back to the construction side of the company for the past couple weeks.. I fill orders in the evening and touch back to the shop through the day. I actually make more working jobsites but the machine shop has air conditioning a coffee pot and a toilet that flushes instead of blue stuff.. But hey I'm getting paid and all is well.

Yes the sanctions do change the priority of mags.. But we will still eventually make them..
I still hope for 6.5 Grendel mags. I would pay extra if it have to
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #972
dernt

AKaholic #: 74751

Quote:
30-06 mags
Where is the best place to look for 30-06 VEPR mag updates?
dernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #973
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dernt View Post
Where is the best place to look for 30-06 VEPR mag updates?
Uhh I guess you could make a thread here and I'll keep you updated. I have a few videos to upload.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #974
josey088

AKaholic #: 171046

Here it is my 16 inches 54r with the new CSSPECS mag .
Because it is shorter than the plastic SGMs , it will be easier to shoot from a bench position , I believe .
The only con is the lack of a bottom plastic or rubber base . Without it , the mag can be scratched easily or that wide and long bottom opening can get loaded with mud , earth , whatever , depending on the terrain because it will be touching the ground for sure .
These mags are not cheap by any means at $52.00 at pop , so I want to take good care of them .
if you don`t use gloves (I don`t) after loading these mags a few times the palm of the hand starts to hurt because of the very edgy end of the bottom of the mags .
In my Vepr , the mags seat in tight , so I have to push them firmly and after a few times the palm of my hand starts to feel it .
Besides that , it is a great mag , looks great , seems to be very tough with very thick metal and very likely it will last forever .
Definitely a good buy . If CSSPECS adds a plastic base that can be inserted in or press on , it will be not just good , but a great buy , instead .
I installed the Zhukov adjustable folding stock so the rifle can be carried folded easily and save weight . This is a very heavy rifle when fully loaded with full mag , bipod , sling and scope , so compactness is a great thing when walking with this monster across my back AK style and I can distribute the weight much better . I also installed a Red Star arms fully adjustable two stage trigger , which is way better that the original that came with the rifle .
Here are a few pics :

Last edited by josey088; 06-29-2017 at 12:09 PM.
josey088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #975
dsmtsi23

AKaholic #: 158079

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
Here it is my 16 inches 54r with the new CSSPECS mag .
Because it is shorter than the plastic SGMs , it will be easier to shoot from a bench position , I believe .
The only con is the lack of a bottom plastic or rubber base . Without it , the mag can be scratched easily or that wide and long bottom opening can get loaded with mud , earth , whatever , depending on the terrain because it will be touching the ground for sure .
These mags are not cheap by any means at $52.00 at pop , so I want to take good care of them .
if you don`t use gloves (I don`t) after loading these mags a few times the palm of the hand starts to hurt because of the very edgy end of the bottom of the mags .
In my Vepr , the mags seat in tight , so I have to push them firmly and after a few times the palm of my hand starts to feel it .
Besides that , it is a great mag , looks great , seems to be very tough with very thick metal and very likely it will last forever .
Definitely a good buy . If CSSPECS adds a plastic base that can be inserted in or press on , it will be not just good , but a great buy , instead .
I installed the Zhukov adjustable folding stock so the rifle can be carried folded easily and save weight . This is a very heavy rifle when fully loaded with full mag , bipod , sling and scope , so compactness is a great thing when walking with this monster across my back AK style and I can distribute the weight much better . I also installed a Red Star arms fully adjustable two stage trigger , which is way better that the original that came with the rifle .
Here are a few pics :

What Scope rings are you using? 1" tube? Thanks
dsmtsi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #976
josey088

AKaholic #: 171046

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmtsi23 View Post
What Scope rings are you using? 1" tube? Thanks
30mm medium rings .

Last edited by josey088; 06-29-2017 at 04:02 PM.
josey088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #977
AK_Guru

AKaholic #: 180356

Any new progress on the higher capacity models? I have buckets of the SGM Tactical 10 rounders and they seem to work fine (until they break) but was hoping to see something eventually about a higher capacity version.
AK_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #978
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Here is an idea for some of you that have access to the resources like a 3D printer. Can anyone fabricate a base pad/ end cap for these mags made of polymer or hard rubber?
Although these mags are excellent and the best option in this caliber they are pretty sharp along that bottom edge.
I will buy them if some one can make one that reasonably works and doesn't look odd.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:02 AM   #979
Gadsden_flag_man

AKaholic #: 189260

Quote:
So we finally got around to testing my joined spring magazine. I was not happy with the spring tension as the spring pitch is still too flat. Results did not surprise with an average of 1 empty chamber per 30 fired rounds.

I'm going to check with my spring guy to see if he can get me some springs with a higher spring pitch to increase tension about 30%.

Still getting to many empty chambers for them to get approved.

Hey, theres a lot of closet 30 06 owners out there creaming our pants about a 20 round 30 06 semi auto magazine dump.. for $800 we got a semi auto 30 06? All we need is mags?? We will buy these. I was so excited to see how fast you cranked out the proto type. JUST DO IT <3
Gadsden_flag_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #980
aceoutdoor

AKaholic #: 162084

Please give an update on the expected date on the 15rd 54R Vepr mags. Been waiting on these for years. Thanks
aceoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote