Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Notices

Old 02-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
SA58

AKaholic #: 3981
Default PSL kit is in... have a question for Romak owners

Just picked up this kit... PB&J as well as DogPiles not included. Looks pretty nice!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Everything appears to be there. Kit looks like it's excellent to new condition... it still had the arsenal paper stuffed in the bore. Numbers matched on the bolt, carrier, recoil spring and gas tube... trunnion and barrel had no numbers, reciever cover had a different number unfortunately. Came with a sling, cleaning kit, oiler, cleaning rod, pouch to contain it all, 4 mags.. pouch and etc.

My question is for those of you that have an up and running PSL. What the hell are these parts, and how do they go together?? (I assume they're part of the bolt stop mechanism) Where and how do they go in??

[IMG]
SA58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

That piece on the lower right, second one in sure looks like some kind of autosear.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
Ozmodias

AKaholic #: 5256

Kit looks great. Where did you find it?
Ozmodias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
SA58

militarygunsupply.com carries the kits. When you subtract the overall cost of the 4 mags with the pouch I figured it was a pretty good deal. I figure kit cost + $150 for a 100% reciever minus the cost of the mags/pouch (lets say $100) that means I can build up a scopeless rifle for $510 give or take. Not bad.

Only problem is I can't see how the bolt stop mechanism works... might become more apparent as I start putting it together. I'm surprised there's nobody out there who can answer any questions... can't seem to find any info on it.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
saintdeath

AKaholic #: 5381

One part is an auto sear and the other is the bolt stop for the mag being empty. for me to tell you about to the sear is Illegal. You have to find out on your own but you can get the bolt stop info on several sites for technical data for the schematics on how to build the gun! I will get back to you on some sites. I Dont suggest the SEAR being put anywhere on that GUN!
saintdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
SA58

No no... I have no interest of the installation of an autosear. I just needed to know which parts were which. I found some info from somebody else about the bolt stop and etc so it's all good.. but do post some links, cus I didn't find hardly any information about these anywhere except for Dragunov.net... and there are dam few people offering up any info.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
54sks762

AKaholic #: 176911

Old thread I know but I've searched about 50 pages in this sub forum and this is the only one with a good pic of the part I have a ? About. In the OP s first post third pic between the bho spring , bho retainer pin and safety sear , there is a small washer like item that I'm trying to find out where it goes ? Possibly a spacer for fcg? Any help would be appreciated as I'm down to my not so smart phone and no pc .
54sks762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
streetfighters

AKaholic #: 168255

Auto sear? PSL? I had no idea that was ever conceived. Very interesting!
streetfighters
streetfighters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
Holescreek

AKaholic #: 124983

Not an auto sear, it's a safety sear so that the weapon cannot fire until the bolt is fully closed and locked. Unfortunately our over-wise BATFE doesn't allow the use of the safety sear in the US because it has the word "sear" in it's name.

I don't know what the washer/circular spacer is in the pic, I don't recall seeing one in any of my kits.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
Choppa city

AKaholic #: 188753

I have a romanian imported romak with bolt hold open feature. Ill take pics of it and post when i get home
Choppa city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #11
streetfighters

AKaholic #: 168255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holescreek View Post
Not an auto sear, it's a safety sear so that the weapon cannot fire until the bolt is fully closed and locked. Unfortunately our over-wise BATFE doesn't allow the use of the safety sear in the US because it has the word "sear" in it's name.

I don't know what the washer/circular spacer is in the pic, I don't recall seeing one in any of my kits.
Ahh, thanks Holescreek, I get it now.
streetfighters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #12
54sks762

Another member had posted in one of the thousand threads I went through that the small washer like thing is actually a spacer that goes on the right side of the disco to properly space the disco in the trigger? Anyone know if that's the case or have a good pic of an original rifle? Thanks guys hate to have extra parts left over!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #13
flyguyeddy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171611

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54sks762 View Post
Another member had posted in one of the thousand threads I went through that the small washer like thing is actually a spacer that goes on the right side of the disco to properly space the disco in the trigger? Anyone know if that's the case or have a good pic of an original rifle? Thanks guys hate to have extra parts left over!
That is exactly what it is for.
flyguyeddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #14
54sks762

Thanks for the help guys , im gonna stick it in tjis evening after messing with the gas tube im modifying right now.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:32 AM   #15
lantz4425

AKaholic #: 185364

Ur missin the center support part of the bho i got pics but cant load them
lantz4425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #16
54sks762

Those are another members pics I just bumped his thread as it had a good pic of the part in question. My kit was complete and is currently waiting to be test fired. I installed the entire bho with some help from holescreek.the other reviever I have has a regular type center support.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #17
nuckldust
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 9533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holescreek View Post

This ^^ the washer is a spacer that goes in the trigger assembly like a shim.
nuckldust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:26 AM   #18
freakazoid

AKaholic #: 162555

Quote:
Unfortunately our over-wise BATFE doesn't allow the use of the safety sear in the US because it has the word "sear" in it's name.
I don't believe that is correct. Older PS90s had a trigger pack with a safety sear.
freakazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #19
mdees

AKaholic #: 164090

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakazoid View Post
I don't believe that is correct. Older PS90s had a trigger pack with a safety sear.
I'm not sure on the P90, but I think the safety sear for the PSL required its own pin which sits in like position to the evil third hole where the AKM auto-sear is located. It did not operate the same but it looks scary enough to those willing to disregard the operation characteristics of a design part over aesthetic concerns.
mdees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #20
54sks762

Test fired the new psl and have some work to do. action is sticking bolt carrier to the rear. Headed out to the shop to file ,and stone it till it smooths out. think it's a combination of drag on the rails and hammer.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #21
Mark75H
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158645

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54sks762 View Post
Test fired the new psl and have some work to do. action is sticking bolt carrier to the rear. Headed out to the shop to file ,and stone it till it smooths out. think it's a combination of drag on the rails and hammer.
... and a weak recoil spring
Mark75H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #22
54sks762

I beat it in to submission, rear of reciever was a little out of spec and pinching the bolt carrier.the kit was complete #matching and looked very lightly used with little to no wear on any reciprocating parts. Punch, brass hammer, file sharpie, and a stone! the reciever was a romy gunsmith special.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #23
Mark75H
Veteran Member

I keep hearing how the Romies are so superior and desirable.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #24
54sks762

I picked the receiver up out of the marketplace here as scrap. Needed the ejector rail replaced and during the Demill the rear of the receiver must have gotten tweaked some. Not a big deal ....nothing I couldn't fix once the issue surfaced. Don't think I'll have an issue shooting it today. The recoil spring appears as the rest of kit does,and don't think it's weak or worn at all. Gun cycles well and carrier drops back and forth rather easy on a stripped receiver . I used a blueing paste from Birchwood casey to do the receiver and got it to match the rest of the kit rather well, and I'll touch it up after I run a couple mags through it today.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #25
Mark75H
Veteran Member

Let us know how far the empty cases fly
Old 04-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #26
54sks762

Still haven't shot it after the fix but I'll do that soon ,kids are off this week and need a camera girl'
Old 04-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #27
nuckldust
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 9533

you not going to be able to feel or see a worn PSL spring. From my experience if your bolt is sticking in the rearmost position it was from a worn spring. I replaced mine with a surplus and it fixed the problem. I understand you have a little different setup going though. Czech silver tip does not agree with mine either. Its just too hot for it.
nuckldust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #28
54sks762

The receiver issues are fixed and I got about 65 rnds through her today . the G2 hammer was giving me issue with sticking 3-4 times so I slicked it up when I got home and I'm going back out tomorrow with the youngest to shooot her new mosin so going to put 4 mags through the psl with her help . Offhand at 60 yards I could make gravel out of a 10 in rock shooting at the biggest piece each time as fast as I could with no scope.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #29
54sks762

Couldn't get out yesterday as it was raining and still is today and where I shoot new builds is out at the farm and it's very muddy. Forgot to mention that I dug around in the woods and found about 90% of my spent casings(deer ticks all over)and the psl was putting them in a 2 ft radius approx 15 ft to the 4 o'clock position . When I had the 3-4 hang ups I did think about nuclkdust and his point about the recoil spring but it was obvious to me when I looked that it was the g2 issue . Think I'll look up the original fcg parts. I did profile the hammer after I got home and after doing so could not reproduce the sticking. On a side note it looks as though the hammer ....hammered the firing pin off to one side and formed a burr? Maybe drop the original fcg parts back in an see how it goes . So if I am smart I'll start looking up a new recoil spring now for future use . Where are you guys finding new ones? This kit when I built it had little to no finish wear on any parts and looked new .i may start looking at the gasblock mod to shoot heavy ball , I think I picked up the correct set screws when I started this build but have to look them up , hopefully i stuck them together with the og fcg parts. I'm courius as to what size holes you guys have been using and working for you also is there a preference as to type of tap 3-4 flute ?bottoming tap ?I also noticed that the gas block is slightly canted to the left a little (came populated) not sure if my OCD will let it stay that way , it's barely noticeable.....but . I'll post after a little more testing and then try and sight the scope in ( any tips) .
Old 05-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #30
54sks762

Managed to get to the range for a couple mins today and got two more mags through it with no issue before it started downpouring . It seemed real accurate at 75 yrds (100yrd target was in standing water and only had crocs on) had 6 rnds in 3 jagged holes and the rest were spread out with in 2 inches of those . shooting offhand and rapidly with no cooling at all or adjustment to the sights. all rnds were in the about 3 in low and 1.5 to the right. going to adjust it next time out and then try the scope. hopefully tomorrow it doesnt rain as bad and i can get back out for more range time.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #31
Mark75H
Veteran Member

15 ft is a long ways

There are no new recoil springs; you take your chances with getting a better used one than you have.

You won't be able to start a bottoming tap in the hole. 3 or 4 flutes doesn't matter if you know what you are doing. Go super slow and remove all chips (by taking a small bite and backing out), the bore is very hard. 3 flutes might be better for clearing the chips vs getting caught on chips.