Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 01:32 AM   #1
jstokes1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169998
Default IR Defense/ Trijicon Thermal optics

Anyone here have any experience with the IR Defense (now Trijicon) thermal scopes? Specifically the REAP-IR? I know it's a long shot but I was wondering if anyone has ever used/owned one.
jstokes1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Got mine in today, will post some pictures later
Old 03-29-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
bcktx

AKaholic #: 180617

They are amazing, Trijicon jacked up the price though... screw them. Nothing changed but the owner.

If you want to spend bookoo $$ reap-ir is hard to beat. I just recently got into thermals, but both my 640 zeus and reap-ir are amazing. The Reap-ir isnt woth the extra money for what I do (hog hunting)
bcktx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcktx View Post
They are amazing, Trijicon jacked up the price though... screw them. Nothing changed but the owner.

If you want to spend bookoo $$ reap-ir is hard to beat. I just recently got into thermals, but both my 640 zeus and reap-ir are amazing. The Reap-ir isnt woth the extra money for what I do (hog hunting)
How much did you get your REAP-IR for?
Old 03-30-2017, 12:48 AM   #5
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Old 03-30-2017, 12:49 AM   #6
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Kind of tough to get pictures, but this is a good idea of what you are seeing, even though the image is a little more clear through the eye piece.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
Mrgunsngear
AKaholic

AKaholic #: 161751

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstokes1 View Post
Anyone here have any experience with the IR Defense (now Trijicon) thermal scopes? Specifically the REAP-IR? I know it's a long shot but I was wondering if anyone has ever used/owned one.

I shot them a bit and my thoughts were that the image is better than the specs say. I didn't expect it to be as good and fast as it was with the ratings....

They need an ACSS reticle though; that'd be money.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:31 AM   #8
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
I shot them a bit and my thoughts were that the image is better than the specs say. I didn't expect it to be as good and fast as it was with the ratings....

They need an ACSS reticle though; that'd be money.

I agree with the ACSS reticle addition. I really got to test it out today on the scar and it was amazing... The clarity and target acquisition are nothing short of phenomenal. And the range of adjustments for the image is very nice as well. Going back tomorrow to shoot it some more on some of my other rifles, since you can sight-in 4 to be saved.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
bcktx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstokes1 View Post
How much did you get your REAP-IR for?
Sry for the late reply, bought it used for 5000 from a guy at work. Only reason I bought it, was wanting to get another Zeus for around the same price at the time.

They are top of the line, I agree they need a decent bdc reticle, most of my shots are within 100 yards though.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:47 PM   #10
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcktx View Post
Sry for the late reply, bought it used for 5000 from a guy at work. Only reason I bought it, was wanting to get another Zeus for around the same price at the time.

They are top of the line, I agree they need a decent bdc reticle, most of my shots are within 100 yards though.
That is a damn good price and well worth it, these cost 8k now. I paid a little less though for mine, but was still a tough bite to chew.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #11
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Last edited by jstokes1; 04-26-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #12
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

I'm waiting for Flir to come release the Q14's with the new cores which will significantly lower the cost of thermals. Eventually IR Defense will be releasing their own competing versions and then I'll buy. The IRD thermals have always looked amazing to me and have caught my eye. I can't wait for the lower cost higher resolution thermals that the future will bring, watching the developments in thermals over the past few years has been exciting and more is to come.
nofreetime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
Rev06
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185972

NFT -- any sense of dollar costs or timeline? Also what do you (or anyone else) think of the entry level Flir Scout (around $600 I think).
Old 04-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #14
bcktx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
NFT -- any sense of dollar costs or timeline? Also what do you (or anyone else) think of the entry level Flir Scout (around $600 I think).
The scout is what it is... more of a toy than a useful optic to me. Detection range is low, resolution is low, very slow. IR is a get what you pay for device. Ive looked at a hog at 50 with a scout, could tell it was something... thats about it.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #15
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
NFT -- any sense of dollar costs or timeline?
Thermals have made some great strides in both coming down in price and their capabilities have been growing for the past few years which will continue. Which is why I mentioned the next gen of Q14's. Newer processors are being released by Flir in the Q14 which will significantly lower the cost of the Q14 line and will possibly be the next step in thermal development. Flir's announced a 640 res Q14 @ $4, 000 (current 640 res Q14 is $8, 000) and a 320 model for $2k (current 320 Q14 is $4k). They showed them at shot but pushed back the release date shortly after the show to IIRC early 2018. The new processors drop the price of the Q14 by 50%, it will interesting to see how that effects the rest of the industry my hope is that over time we'll see developments like this accross entire product lines as thermal developers are very competitive with each other.

Quote:
Also what do you (or anyone else) think of the entry level Flir Scout (around $600 I think).
It's a good base model unit with limited capability. Good for hand held scanning for heat signatures 0-50 or 0-100 yards, but not enough resolution for target ID very far away or for navigation in brush. I think the Leupold LTO's have higher specs than these at a similar price but I'm not the most informed on these types of thermals.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #16
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Last edited by jstokes1; 04-26-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #17
Rev06
Curio & Relic

Thx for the responses folks.

NFT that is exciting on the Q14. The shots above are absolutely amazing.

I bought a 60s era Zeiss NV made for the HK G3 about 5 years back. It's not bad for what it is, and goes nicely w my PTR-91. But my next buy will be thermal.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #18
Rev06
Curio & Relic

I bought a 60s era Zeiss NV made for the HK G3 about 5 years back. It's not bad for what it is, and goes nicely w my PTR-91. But my next buy will be thermal.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #19
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yeah man a good quality thermal is a sweet addition to add to the collection, and very useful. I was discussing with my dad the possibility of tracking deer blood and finding the carcass in places that might normally obstruction visibility such as high grass.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:07 AM   #20
Night Owl
Taxed to death

AKaholic #: 158477

That is incredible resolution in those images and I'm sure it's significantly better behind the scope.

Just wow....

"It is not hard to see it isn't long before there will be nothing left of liberty except butchery of children, taking it up the ass and the right to the hard earned work of others." -DrJarhead

" During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell
Night Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #21
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
That is incredible resolution in those images and I'm sure it's significantly better behind the scope.

Just wow....
You got that right. Taking the picture through my phone makes the image lose some of the definition due to the auto-focus. I have a picture that I would love to post because of the definition that I took on the actual unit itself, but taking the picture with my phone takes away some of the finer details. This unit for the cost, relative to what you get, is nothing short of amazing.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #22
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yes it is good news. I'm waiting hopefully for lowered costs to work their way over to the IR Defense IR Patrol. Also hoping that after Trijicon recently purchasing IR Defense they'll keep up the same level of quality IRD was known for. The IRD units are money from my research they stand out against the others for sure. If jstokes is just taking pics with a phone you're not seeing the true image quality, here's some pics and videos to show what IRD's can do.

I'm jealous jstokes, that's bad ass bro.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #23
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreetime View Post
Yes it is good news. I'm waiting hopefully for lowered costs to work their way over to the IR Defense IR Patrol. Also hoping that after Trijicon recently purchasing IR Defense they'll keep up the same level of quality IRD was known for. The IRD units are money from my research they stand out against the others for sure. If jstokes is just taking pics with a phone you're not seeing the true image quality, here's some pics and videos to show what IRD's can do.

I'm jealous jstokes, that's bad ass bro.

Thanks for complements and commentary brother, This is an awesome optic for the money (relative to the cost of other thermals in this class). I'd like to own an LWTS one day.

Last edited by jstokes1; 04-21-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #24
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

Damn you guys. You know I collect optics right? How am I going to resist this now, after seeing all these photos and reading the comments? I'll never be able to retire at this rate, haha

Seriously though, thanks for such extra detail. I have really had my eye on the REAP-IR and have been swinging back and forth for months and months. I think this is the deciding factor

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #25
jstokes1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Zen View Post
Damn you guys. You know I collect optics right? How am I going to resist this now, after seeing all these photos and reading the comments? I'll never be able to retire at this rate, haha

Seriously though, thanks for such extra detail. I have really had my eye on the REAP-IR and have been swinging back and forth for months and months. I think this is the deciding factor
It really is a great optic in the price range it is placed in. Howver judging by your budget, I'd go with the LWTS. It's about 12K but seriously nice. But if you want to stay under 10k, the REAP-IR hands down is the thermal optic to get.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #26
jstokes1
Veteran Member