Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Vendor Discussion Forums > Palmetto State Armory

Notices

Old 04-04-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
Thumper5102

AKaholic #: 192215
Default Round __ "My PSAK Build Experience" Rather than complain, improve.

Hello,

New member here who found the forum after already placing an order for a PSAK based on reviews of Rob Ski and a couple others. I went with the kit because of cost, the non-blem rifles were out of stock and I like to DIY where I can.
I applaud PSA as well as other US AK manufacturers for their efforts to put out a quality AK at a reasonable price, for this reason I have no Ill feelings at this time for my experience, I just hope the "bugs/QC" issues get worked out.

To make this post shortER, the kit arrived within a week, I went to my FFL where I picked up the kit, its not well lit there, so I looked to make sure all the pieces were there and took it home. My thoughts:

When I opened the box, dust cover still in place, the rifle’s finish looked great, one of the best finishes I’ve seen on an AK, great job! I then take the dust cover off to find a CAST Bolt Carrier, instead of the Forged one that xxx said would come with it, because that was a “Fixed issue” with the GB2 kits.

Now for the additional issues with the barreled receiver.

1. The bolt/BCG will only seat into the trunnion with a good deal of force.
I believe this is due to the incorrect installation of the ejector (Edit Not ejector, extractor)(point 2). Additionally, the Firing Pin and Ejector should be user serviceable, as is the case with all my other AK’s. This one the Firing-pin retaining-pin is crushed, looks like a square peg in a round hole. I was unable to remove it as I can on all my other AK’s from various manufactures.
2. The extractor is protruding quite a bit out of the bolt, much more so than my other 2 AK’s, will not hold a round, and is difficult to move as compared to my other AK bolts. Also, the bottom of the extractor sits above the bolt face .
3. The flash hider retaining pin is so loose that it will not keep the slant brake from turning. A non-issue with my Midwest industries brake installed, but this shouldn't be the case and the spring is weak compared to other AK’s. Possibly too much material taken off of the retaining pin.

4. The piston head is deformed, most likely by a grinder, meaning it isn’t the shape is should be, I don’t know how that will effect the ability of the rifle to function as I haven’t received the rest of my build kit yet and haven't shot it. Additionally wouldn’t want to shoot it with the BCG/Bolt problem.

5. Roll pin is being used to hold the Piston. I can’t imagine that has the holding capacity of a rivet? Not a big issue, had to be noted.

6. Rivets for rear trunnion not formed correctly? May be a non-issue, though, Rob Ski’s and others I have seen have the mushroomed rivets.

7. Cast carrier is of poor quality, meaning the casting looks to be porous. If the Carrier on the test PSAK sent to Rob Ski has a Cast carrier, it is of a much better casting or it was worked, smoothed over prior to him receiving the rifle. To me, the issue with this carrier seems to be more than just a “finish” issue. It is also oversized or the the bolt is, the bolt has to be inserted just right for it to go in and it is a tight fit, somewhat difficult for me to explain in writing.

So, those are the issues I had with mine, not sure how many others with "Sticky bolts" realize the ejector may be the issue. Someone from PSA has replied to my service request (took a day for initial reply, another day for a 2nd reply, and someone will be contacting me tomorrow since I have to send a serialized part back) and I plan to send the receiver back on Thursday, if I have the RA and shipping label.

To be continued......
Thumper5102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Palmetto State Armory

AKaholic #: 182740

Thank you for your Purchase.

IM us your order number and we will be happy to take a look at the issues you addressed. Your receiver kit carries a lifetime warranty against defects, and we will be happy to fix any such problems.

The cast carrier is indeed what was in the Robski gun, and we are confident it is both reliable and durable enough to offer the customer a lifetime of service. We have a warranty to back it up. However, if you have one of the non-freedom kits purchased before Feb 8th., you are eligible for a carrier upgrade.

Please IM us your order number and we will fix you up.
Palmetto State Armory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
Thumper5102

Default Cast or other than cast?

PSA Freedom GB2 Cast carrier

[IMG]Rear left PSA BCG Cast by Andrew Jasper, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Rear PSA BCG cast by Andrew Jasper, on Flickr[/IMG]

One from Rob Ski's review
[IMG]FullSizeRender-9 by Andrew Jasper, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0612 by Andrew Jasper, on Flickr[/IMG]

Notice the difference in the quality of the casting?

Last edited by Thumper5102; 04-05-2017 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Photo sizing
Old 04-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
ceverhart

AKaholic #: 191593

I think you guys really need to double check the build kits. I have bought 2 barreled recievers and 2 MOE plum build kits. My 1st build kit was missing the grip insert and the screw as well as the stock attachment hardware...kit#2 received Monday is missing the grip insert and the screw. It is kinda irritating to not have the parts in the build kit....I bought several ar kits from you guys over the years and never had this problem.
ceverhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Thumper5102

They received the barreled receiver on the 9th. Here it is the 19th, still no word as to when I might expect it back. Ordered on 3/24 and still have yet to be able to have a firing rifle.... almost 1 month later!
Old 04-22-2017, 12:02 AM   #6
Thumper5102

Spoke to PSA Thursday, still no word as to when it will be back in my possession. Hopefully when I get it back it will be right.

- Frustrated but hopefully
Old 04-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
RG Coburn
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7184

In the photo of the bolt carrier...
Is the carrier actually made of cast? Or is that some sort of funky coating? Look down at the lower right corner...looks like its starting to flake off.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Thumper5102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
In the photo of the bolt carrier...
Is the carrier actually made of cast? Or is that some sort of funky coating? Look down at the lower right corner...looks like its starting to flake off.
My bolt carrier is actually a cast piece, a poor one at that. You can see the casting marks, showing the mold edges. By a poor casting, you can see how porous the casting appears. If Rob Skis carrier is cast, it is a very good casting, meaning, you cannot see many pores in the casting and the casting marks are not easily visible in the pictures.

I'd be happy with a quality cast bolt carrier, if it looks like the one pictured on Rob Ski's rifle.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:15 AM   #9
Thumper5102

5 more days, still no word. Now has been 18 days since they received my rifle and since 3/24 when I purchased.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
Palmetto State Armory

AKaholic #: 182740

Thank you for your patience,

We apologize about the trouble you have experienced. A new AK replacement with the forged carrier components is being shipped out to your chosen FFL shortly. We have provided the necessary contact information to have your transfer fee covered upon receipt. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Again, we thank you for your patience.

Last edited by Palmetto State Armory; 04-28-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Palmetto State Armory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
Thumper5102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto State Armory View Post
Thank you for your patience,

We apologize about the trouble you have experienced. A new AK replacement with the forged carrier components is being shipped out to your chosen FFL shortly. We have provided the necessary contact information to have your transfer fee covered upon receipt. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Again, we thank you for your patience.
Thank you for your reply and the phone call. I look forward to receiving and building my kit with the Forged carrier.