Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #841
yuik
Member
 
AKaholic #: 188386
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarhead View Post
So yuik, what is your strategy?

Be honest about that, especially to yourself.

What's your mindset?
How does your brain work?
How do YOU approach the market, or maybe how should you?

Identify that approach and then you'll know better what to do. We'd sure know better what kind of advice to give you.
Here it goes.

Mindset
In short I am I most likely always have more things in my pipeline to do than I can finish and I will prioritize what are the most important given my current amount of free time. The same goes with investing, I always welcome more ideas and thoughts and I will often add them to a list and when i Have time prioritize them to vent them and possibly make an action plan on the ones i Like. My backlog always grows faster than i Can research them.

My approach
retirement

- parents were not well off however I work in software with a good income for my age so in short my strategy is to be over-prepared with a focus on growth to achieve that.
- this involves being as tax efficient as possible and as Fee efficient as possible.
- pretty much max my pretax 401k (i think 18k is the limit) and max my roth IRA, next year I will need to do a backdoor roth IRA because stock grants and bonuses make it hard to keep my AGI down.
- less than 3% bonds im in my late 20s and I will possibly considering changing this once I get married (2-3 years time, and when i have my first child 4-5 years time).


Other Approach
Wealth growth (surplus of funds not in retirement)
- Allocation focused on long term growth.
- Whatever strategy I can do to generate as much wealth as possible in 10-30 years
Current plan
- 66% of my investments on the best growth strategies / stocks that i can think of long term. So I will take a facebook or even google (growth of waymo self driving car or them picking up the slack in the cloud) over say an oracle even if i need to pay 3 times the p/e for the growers.
- focus on tech because i understand software and tech the best (I understand finance well to due to working at an investment bank in nyc as an internship but I am less bullish in general on the industry, especially due to the crazy buecratic overhead they have).
- Focus on pharma and healthcare because I am employeed in the industry and I think I understand the USAs healthcare roadmap towards value based care regardless of the legislation (like i think cerner will continue to kill it and I would love to buy Epic if they were public).
- 1/3 of my money invested can be on home run attempts for nonprofitable companies. See Cancer targeting pharmas or non profitable tech companies like Twilio or even tesla.

Previous plans
- used to be entirely speculative or way more speculative which had me passing up on decent blue chip stocks or other growth plays in less sexy industries. I remember buying twitter over dominos pizza 5 years ago when I took my first job out of grad school because I tried to pick stocks that could out earn everything in my portfolio. bad move but some how i rationalized twitter had a better growth case than dominos and tech can grow faster than consumer fast food. Some home runs did occur like ISIS pharma at the time now IONS , and incyte pharma Facebook and Jazz Pharma. I bought facebook when they were unprofitable after not getting an offer after an interview there with the thought with that many smart people will figure out how to make that user base profitable. But for each big win like that i think i have 1 meh play and 1 fail.

-I had too many misses that lead me to not beating index funds in 2016 where I had to make a change. For example JUNO HALO FIREEYE PALO alto networks were all specs but i was rolling the dice on too many companies that werent profitable yet.
- Also made the decision that growth cases can still be profitable if I wait till the company is profitable because there is still some room to grow. For example on the facebook investment I doubled down at 55$ a share and at 90$ (at the 90$ i remember looking at my other buy plans and liking facebooks growth case more than the competition that i was weighing).
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #842
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard
 
Jabes0623's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 173872
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: (740)
Posts: 4,036
Default

Yuik, you seem to have a well thought out strategy, for the most part. You're looking way into the future & that's good.

However, 1/3 of your investments being on long shots, "home-runs" as you say, is way too large a percent. You're young you can afford to buy & hold, dollar cost average & wait for pullbacks/recessions/crashes to maximize your investing value. You appear to be quite intelligent so I'm sure you'll pick up on the ebb & the flow of the market fairly quickly. Once you feel out the patterns you realize they're every bit as important to investing success as the individual companies you buy.

Don't forget to think outside the market when it comes to making money. Rentals (I prefer vacation & corporate, higher gains & far less hassle), peer to peer lending, the possibilities are endless.

The last thing I'll say is learn to forget about the missed opportunities. Everyone misses opportunities every minute of every day. There's always another train coming. Learn from it & let it go.

Oh & try to have fun.
__________________
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Jabes0623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #843
yuik
Member
 
AKaholic #: 188386
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 147
Default

Yeah one change is I was to be at 15-20% cash through saving not selling. That way when we get something like Russia invading Ukraine I can buy more where everything goes down. I haven't had a large enough cash position to buy always during international issues that may not be 100% correlated to our markets.

Also my girlfriend and I listen to bigger pockets a ton, Nj is very difficult to cashflow with rental property due to our property taxes but in 1-4 years we may consider something near philly the poconos Pa or in Chicago as a buy and hold real estate play. Her dads a plumber in Chicago. I like chicagos real estate market much more than anything I see in NJ. The numbers are not very favorable here and too many people buy to break even hoping appreciation will be their real estate ROI which I don't like. You can't bank on neverending appreciation. It's hard to call I too but I would love a property to have sound cash flow from day 1.
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #844
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard
 
Jabes0623's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 173872
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: (740)
Posts: 4,036
Default

I just came back to say, the vast majority of wealthy people aren't wealthy because they know how to make money. They're wealthy because they know how to save money.
__________________
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Jabes0623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #845
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor
 
drjarhead's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5952
Join Date: May 2006
Location: north
Posts: 41,272
Default

I agree that 1/3 is too much for "spec plays."

But that's MO and it's not my money.

I didn't see anything on there about dividend payers either. Reinvest those and let it grow.

Certainly, going for growth is not a bad plan for younger people.
All for that.
But there's solid growing companies and real high risk plays.

Risk:Reward

Expected reward has to be plausible.
__________________
FIGHT HARD
FIGHT FAST
FIGHT EVERYWHERE
drjarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #846
rstrobel
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 167348
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 5,420
Default

there's a lot of discussion right now behind closed doors about eliminating the traditional tax-deductible 401k as part of the tax cuts bill

all contributions would be roth contributions and therefore increase short-term .gov revenue to offset the tax cuts


yuik, you should read a book called "the one page financial plan"
rstrobel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #847
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor
 
drjarhead's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5952
Join Date: May 2006
Location: north
Posts: 41,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrobel View Post
there's a lot of discussion right now behind closed doors about eliminating the traditional tax-deductible 401k as part of the tax cuts bill

all contributions would be roth contributions and therefore increase short-term .gov revenue to offset the tax cuts


yuik, you should read a book called "the one page financial plan"
Why do you need an entire book for a one page financial plan?



Most people should be doing Roth's anyhow.
__________________
FIGHT HARD
FIGHT FAST
FIGHT EVERYWHERE
drjarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:13 AM   #848
yuik
Member
 
AKaholic #: 188386
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrobel View Post
there's a lot of discussion right now behind closed doors about eliminating the traditional tax-deductible 401k as part of the tax cuts bill

all contributions would be roth contributions and therefore increase short-term .gov revenue to offset the tax cuts


yuik, you should read a book called "the one page financial plan"
What's in it and what do you like about it?

Eliminating the 401k will suck I don't see the republicans doing that sounds like a democrat move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarhead View Post
Why do you need an entire book for a one page financial plan?



Most people should be doing Roth's anyhow.
Why because you only see America getting more liberal and socialist thus the tax rate going higher for everyone in the future?

My friend whose a mechanic had an interesting perspective on why he does half Roth and half traditional in his 401k. He said he isn't confident of taxes going up or down in the future.

I personally feel like he can and will clear the 90k bracket and everything should be going in as Roth for him but I still respect his mindset.
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #849
yuik
Member
 
AKaholic #: 188386
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 147
Default

very happy i bought NVDA, I am still hesitant on AMD beating them on GPUs because their rhyzon architecture doesnt do anything for GPUs.

I think I may look to try and buy Adobe next.

Twilio intrigues me because it is getting slammed but i dont understand why amazon or microsoft cant just knock off 80% of their features in a year if they throw 100 people at it.
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #850
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard
 
Jabes0623's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 173872
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: (740)
Posts: 4,036
Default

SWIR

Take a look & give me some feedback?
__________________
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Jabes0623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 AM   #851
yuik
Member
 
AKaholic #: 188386
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 147
Default

Sierra wireless. Too small of a market cap and even though my undergrad was in computer engineering I don't really know hardware or wireless as well as most people with electrical engineering backgrounds.

I can't really give an opinion on them as I don't know their competitors nore do I understand their economic moat.

I will say I don't like sprint ATT or Verizon. I like the later two for their yield which I think is safe but I think they have more to loose with their current customer base than to gain. I also don't like how att is trying to buy growth, I think I would have prefer them buying twilio or even Twitter.

I also am not super crazy about T-Mobile because their 5g plan is kind of lacking imop. They could really get their ass kicked and be late contrary to what their CEO says.

What are your thoughts on the wireless industry as a whole?
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #852
yuik
Member
 
AKaholic #: 188386
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 147
Default

Not sure if anyone watched bios today by Microsoft but I think their cloud business will continue to grow faster than Amazon in the next year. Not sure this is enough to move the entire company but nothing I saw I hated.

Have owned msft for a while and sold had a while back maybe 1.5 years ago but thinking about buying more but I think I would get salesforce first.
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:50 PM   #853
okak47
Member
 
AKaholic #: 172044
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Down south in the Zapata field of nat gas
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
Not sure if anyone watched bios today by Microsoft but I think their cloud business will continue to grow faster than Amazon in the next year. Not sure this is enough to move the entire company but nothing I saw I hated.

Have owned msft for a while and sold had a while back maybe 1.5 years ago but thinking about buying more but I think I would get salesforce first.
Not just the cloud but Microsoft Office is a cash fucking cow it has been forever.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
Keep it here, nobody report a god damn thing and you 3 can verbally butt fuck each other til the cows come home. We don't care.
okak47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:51 PM   #854
okak47
Member
 
AKaholic #: 172044
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Down south in the Zapata field of nat gas
Posts: 484
Default

Something interesting about the S&P. I dint think about this but I have been thinking about how boring the market has been lately.

S&P failed to move + or - .5% in 13 trading sessions.https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...132200609.html
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
Keep it here, nobody report a god damn thing and you 3 can verbally butt fuck each other til the cows come home. We don't care.
okak47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 PM   #855
yuik
Member
 
AKaholic #: 188386
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okak47 View Post
Not just the cloud but Microsoft Office is a cash fucking cow it has been forever.
Very true I like everything but Bing.

I also like how they have a new small version of windows to compete with chrome books. It will be like 200$ laptops with a free version of minecraft.
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #856
c0dy33
Odin Akbar
 
c0dy33's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 158752
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 9,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okak47 View Post
Not just the cloud but Microsoft Office is a cash fucking cow it has been forever.
I switched to LibreOffice years ago. Fuck Microshit.
__________________
You don't need eyes to see; you need vision.

"I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees." -Stéphane Charbonnier (1967-2015)
c0dy33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #857
okak47
Member
 
AKaholic #: 172044
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Down south in the Zapata field of nat gas
Posts: 484
Default

Bought EPD last Wednesday at sold it on Friday. Planned on holding for a few months for the divvy but couldn't turn down the 2 day profit.

$1,380 PROFIT mother fuckers!! Thanks to this thread it got me back day trading again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
Keep it here, nobody report a god damn thing and you 3 can verbally butt fuck each other til the cows come home. We don't care.
okak47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #858
TheSundanceKid
Member
 
AKaholic #: 189907
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Murrca
Posts: 481
Default

can anyone recommend me any good investment advisors? or do you guys do it all yourselves?

im 25 and have no debt

im looking to make some substantial 10 to 20 year investments that will give me an roi of 7% a year. any recommendations? not for particular stocks, but for particular investment groups (stocks, bonds, etc.) Im not looking to do anything crazy high risk right now until im more educated on this.
__________________
.

Last edited by TheSundanceKid; 05-27-2017 at 02:38 AM.
TheSundanceKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #859
okak47
Member
 
AKaholic #: 172044
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Down south in the Zapata field of nat gas
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSundanceKid View Post
can anyone recommend me any good investment advisors? or do you guys do it all yourselves?

im 25 and have no debt

im looking to make some substantial 10 to 20 year investments that will give me an roi of 7% a year. any recommendations? not for particular stocks, but for particular investment groups (stocks, bonds, etc.) Im not looking to do anything crazy high risk right now until im more educated on this.
As you know there are thousands of investment vehicles.

If you want to keep it simple with low fees and beat 99% of all investments buy the S&P, its that simple and easy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
Keep it here, nobody report a god damn thing and you 3 can verbally butt fuck each other til the cows come home. We don't care.
okak47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:51 AM   #860
yuik
Member
 
AKaholic #: 188386
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSundanceKid View Post
can anyone recommend me any good investment advisors? or do you guys do it all yourselves?

im 25 and have no debt

im looking to make some substantial 10 to 20 year investments that will give me an roi of 7% a year. any recommendations? not for particular stocks, but for particular investment groups (stocks, bonds, etc.) Im not looking to do anything crazy high risk right now until im more educated on this.
Any low fee index fund
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
yuik
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©2015 The AK FIles