Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #176
mavisky

AKaholic #: 195076

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATO 5.56 View Post
Mav, it looks like you can file some of that plastic stock base where it meets the reveiver to angle up some of the stock. Maybe not level but not so angled.
The issue is the rectangular crossbar in the end of the receiver and the slot I cut for it to lock into are at the wrong angle. That's what's keeping it from sitting flush. I failed to take the difference in the angle of the crossbar and the back of the receiver into account. Too much match and missed a portion.

Quote:
These shotys look gansta. Better than the present Academy version imo.
Certainly agree there, although I could do without the thumbhole stock myself.

Quote:
I own neither Saiga or Vepr so i dont know. Will those Vepr handgaurds fit a Saiga ?
Saiga and Vepr handguards don't interchange and I don't think the VEPR's will work on the JTS12 based upon how diffrerent their attachment methods are on this install video from CSS.

https://youtu.be/RXEZm6WQYSs
mavisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #177
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavisky View Post
Unfortunately that's how much material I had to remove to get them to lock into place on the gun. I am sure there may be some manufacturing inconsistencies with these shotguns, but both mags sit at the internal lugs when locked into the gun. Now these magazines are unloaded, but there is almost 0 slop vertically when they're in the gun.
I'm not seeing anything wrong in the photo, even if say the rail was was welded crooked to the receiver then the bolt carrier would also hang low which would correct the height.. I'm not seeing how that is possible.

It may be best if the issue is not resolvable to contact for a refund return.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #178
mavisky

I'm going to take them back to the range here soon to test functionality. Units worked fine 100% of the time on 3" shells on the first 5 rounds, but the last 5 were the issue. Could be a spring/follower issue where the spring isn't bringing the round up high enough fast enough or the follower isn't rising smoothly in the mag. More testing to come.

Just to clarify here I'm just trying to catalog my issues for others as I'm happy that you've personally gone out of your way to make magazines for this gun at all. I'm not afraid of putting in some manual labor or tweaking things to fit when it comes to modifying a non-standard platform like the JTS-12.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #179
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

Fair enough.

What gas setting did you use with the 3 inch shells? Reason I ask is, If the setting is too high the bolt will bounce off the rear trunnion and close substantially faster which can result in failures to feed.

PS anyone see the new shotguns from JTS group???
Here is what looks like a side charging m26ish shotgun, it says semi auto but I think that is an error.
http://jtsgroup.us/blog/m12pt/

Here is what looks like a ban state model JTS-12, with wood stocks.
http://jtsgroup.us/blog/m12ak-s1/

Here is an AR-10ish pattern shotgun that uses a different pattern of magazine.
http://jtsgroup.us/blog/m12ar/

And and AR-10ish patterned one that has poly grips.
http://jtsgroup.us/blog/m12ar-b1/

Interesting stuff to me at least.

Last edited by csspecs; 01-24-2018 at 02:57 PM.
csspecs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #180
mavisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
Fair enough.

What gas setting did you use with the 3 inch shells? Reason I ask is, If the setting is too high the bolt will bounce off the rear trunnion and close substantially faster which can result in failures to feed.
Setting 3 and 2. Didn't go down to setting 1, but I suppose I could have. I will try that next round of testing.

Saw those new shotguns too. I posted a link to them a couple posts above. Some curious designs for sure and that floppy charging handle looks like it could raise hell if it starts cycling back and forth.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #181
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

Quote:
Setting 3 and 2. Didn't go down to setting 1, but I suppose I could have. I will try that next round of testing.

Saw those new shotguns too. I posted a link to them a couple posts above. Some curious designs for sure and that floppy charging handle looks like it could raise hell if it starts cycling back and forth.
Yeah give setting 1 a try.

Ok I'm guilty of reading a little too fast.. I saw the mention of new shotguns followed by the picture of the AK-12 line up.. I figure the one that looks kinda like the M26 is actually manual action because it has no gas block, and like you said that charging handle would be dangerous.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #182
KC913

AKaholic #: 155912

AK upper handguards will fit the JTS-12 without much work. Some may fit without any modification. I was working on something last night and decided to take a break to try these old cheap polymer handguards. The lower handguard was damaged while working on a project a few years ago, so they've just been sitting in a parts box. I pulled the factory upper handguard off and this one went on without any problems. I had previously modified it to fit on a GSG AK-22, but I think it would have fit the JTS-12 right out of the box.

Factory lower handguards will not fit, however, without a little modification. A tab will need to be added, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm going to try a few different handguards later today to see what I can come up with.

Normally I don't use these kinds of handguards with all of the rails and such, but I picked these up to try something a few years ago for around 10 bucks and I think I'm going to leave this on here for now. The lines go with the factory lower handguard decent enough and it gives it a different look.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #183
mavisky

i had wondered if the uppers might line up. If you were willing to take an aluminum quad rail and open up the throat of the lowers for the larger barrel contour, I think you could easily tig weld on a tab that would allow you to utilize a standard stamped receiver AK quad rail. Unfortunately I don't have a tig welder or a good way to machine out the throat of the lower handguard or I'd have tried this with a cheap rail system already.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #184
KC913

Would be nice if the parts for these things were imported, but that's how it goes with most of these Chinese guns. I would rock the wood handguards with a fat Polish wood grip or something, all refinished. I also still wish I had some extra factory grips for other guns. Love the grip these come with.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #185
mavisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC913 View Post
Would be nice if the parts for these things were imported, but that's how it goes with most of these Chinese guns. I would rock the wood handguards with a fat Polish wood grip or something, all refinished. I also still wish I had some extra factory grips for other guns. Love the grip these come with.
I took this from their FAQ page and reached out to this e-mail to inquire.

Q: Can I purchase parts for my M12AK?
Yes, our warranty center has inventory of all parts for the M12AK. Parts can be ordered by emailing Tac-47 at info@tac47.com
Old 01-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #186
KC913

I contacted Tac47 a month ago and got no response. Useless.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #187
KC913

Actually I just looked and I contacted them on November 26th. No reply. Great service lol
Old 01-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #188
mavisky

I emailed them via their chat box on their website as well. May resort to calling them next week when I have some down time.

https://tac47.com/
Old 01-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #189
KC913

I tried talking to the JTS group on their official Facebook page but they ended up blocking me after I posted a link to buy extra factory magazines (because their Facebook store didn't work) and criticized things once or twice. This was last month as well. Great guys lol

Which reminds me, are the factory magazines actually the same as ProMag Saiga 12 mags with a couple of humps added for magwell stability? They look nearly identical, but I don't own any ProMag Saiga 12 mags to compare.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #190
mavisky

Got a voicemail from tac47 apologizing for taking so long to get back to me due to them being at Shot Show. He asked me to call back as soon as I could to discuss options for my JTS shotgun. Ill be calling tomorrow and will report back.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #191
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

Quote:
I tried talking to the JTS group on their official Facebook page but they ended up blocking me after I posted a link to buy extra factory magazines (because their Facebook store didn't work) and criticized things once or twice. This was last month as well. Great guys lol

Which reminds me, are the factory magazines actually the same as ProMag Saiga 12 mags with a couple of humps added for magwell stability? They look nearly identical, but I don't own any ProMag Saiga 12 mags to compare.

Factory mags and promags are not the same.. They look similar but that is it.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:29 PM   #192
KC913

Quote:
Got a voicemail from tac47 apologizing for taking so long to get back to me due to them being at Shot Show. He asked me to call back as soon as I could to discuss options for my JTS shotgun. Ill be calling tomorrow and will report back.
No shit? Nice. Sure would be cool if they checked emails and replied. Let me know what they say about grips!
Old 01-28-2018, 11:41 PM   #193
mavisky

Quote:
No shit? Nice. Sure would be cool if they checked emails and replied. Let me know what they say about grips!
Will do, plan on asking him about a number of different topics and I'll report back. Are you interested in pistol grip replacements specifically? I believe that most everything that fits an AK will work with the JTS M12AK from what I've seen.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #194
mavisky

Just got off of the phone with Keith over at Tac47. He informed me that the aftermarket stocks were fitted by welding on a backplate to make the guns compatible with any of the ACE stocks. They perform this service for $150 and that leaves the gun "in the white" as they have to strip part of it for painting.

At that point he would suggest that it be painted or coated and they can do entire guns for $200.

He did confirm that in their experience the only thing that's "bolt on" are upper hand guards and pistol grips.

That being said they have incorporated some custom made muzzle brakes and other modifications for customers as they are a full function gunsmith shop. Flickr seems to be down, but then I'll share some photos of a JTS12 they're building for customers.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #195
mavisky

From Keith at Tac 47

Old 02-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #196
CDD

AKaholic #: 191311

I have taken mine to the range twice now. I started out with buck and slugs for the first 200rnds. No issues with either. Next session was with 180rnds of Remington/Winchester high velocity game loads @ 1350-1325fps, no issues. Aftrer that I loaded up 50rnds of Winchester bulk loads from Walmart, 1200fps. All functioned fine. I am using two factory five round mags and two SGM 12rnd mags, all of which have worked without any issues.
CDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:31 PM   #197
mavisky

Well the cheap modification of the Tapco T6 stock failed, but oddly it failed because the screw I used sheared off. Not the failure I expected to be honest.

That being said it appears as though the factory stock is hollow and perhaps the steel insert in the stock could be pressed out and used as the basis to attach a stock. Trying to track down a factory stock for testing this option with.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #198
1ib31

AKaholic #: 190388

So a short update:

I have around 3k rounds of low brass birdshot through my JTS and it works fantastic. I have replaced all of my mags with the CSSpec steel mags (Highly reccomend grabbing some). The pistol grip was replaced with a run of the mill AK MagPul Grip. I also modified the Magpul Zhukov for the saiga to fit the JTS and it looks and feels fantastic.

\\\, on Flickr

Some more pictures!
1ib31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #199
mavisky

Very nice. Curious about the mods you did to the forearm to make it work. Confirmed a replacement factory stock is $30 so may be picking one up soon to press the attachment out of it and try to build a stock adapter off of that.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #200
chewie

AKaholic #: 193828

Do you happen to know a part number for that handguard? Thanks.
chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #201
mavisky

Looks like the full length piece for Ak74/47's - MAG586 . I've seen the 870 shotgun style modded to fit Saigas before with some machining and custom milled aluminium adapters, but never the standard AK forearms. Curious as this looks like a much better solution than mine.

https://www.magpul.com/products/zhuk...uard-ak47-ak74
Old 02-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #202
chewie

Hey JTS owners, I found an interesting problem with the gas block ports on my JTS. They do not line up very well. I used a borescope that attaches to an android smartphone for one of the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside small.jpg (29.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg outside small.jpg (42.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #203
chewie

better picture of port
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outside small.jpg (91.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #204
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

So I found this video from early January when we made the last batch of JTS magazines. Maybe a few of y'all would find it interesting, laser cutter is making the body panels and a few retainers and floorplates.. It is a little hard to see because the front glass is almost as dark as a welding helmet..

Old 02-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #205
mavisky

Well the search to figure out an affordable solution for installing a different stock continues. Did some math on modifying a milled receiver version of a Tapco T6 adjustable to fit, but unconvinced it would work any better than my previous attempt.

Doing some researh brought me across this item which I thought may be able to work, but i'm no confident there will be a good way to attach it

http://stormwerkz.com/stock-adapters...rbine-adapter/

I'd also looked into a VZ58 adapter as the angle at the rear of the receiver would match correctly, and there may be a way to use the central bolt location and the central locating tab slot on the rear of the receiver, but I think this would still result in a welded attachment for ultimate security.

http://stormwerkz.com/stock-adapters...pe-2-straight/

Old 02-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #206
Dre363

AKaholic #: 195692

This thing is meant for a saiga, but I wonder if it can be modified for our use?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sgmmagwell.jpg (34.4 KB, 2 views)
Dre363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:46 AM   #207
mavisky

Were you thinking of using that so our shotguns may be capable of utilizing drum mags or just because it's made of better materials?

Got a new toy in today. Bonesteel Arms muzzle brake installed thanks to a Tom Cole choke tube adapter that utilizes the internal remchoke and pairs them with saiga12 external threads. Luckily was able to thread the brake on all the way and snug it down nicely without having to use a lock washer. I'll be dropping some blue loctite onto it and taking it to the range this weekend.

Attempted to install an old finger grooved ATI grip from my AK, but the thread size and pitch is just slightly different on the JTS vs the standard AK grip bolt. The grip I had used the traditional long bolt, otherwise I could have just easily re-used the factory grip bolt from the JTS. I could install a standard AK gripnut to match and may try this, but it seemed rather loose and sloppy compared to the much larger sized JTS grip-nut.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #208
Dre363

Wow! That looks very sharp! And yes that was my idea with the magwell adapter.
After further reading it appears that thing only works with certain mags, but im sure there are other magwells to check out.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #209
Dre363

Mavisky which tome Cole choke tube did you go with? It likes like there are a fee different Remington styles.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:18 AM   #210
mavisky

I picked this one up from cadiz gunworks.

https://cadizgunworks.com/store/inde...&product_id=57