Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #36
Laufer

AKaholic #: 188070

"VZ58 Trigger fix, the Gremlin" on Youtube. This guy with "Polenar Tactical Media" installed a very tiny ring which he calls a bushing.
It was to cure the lack of trigger reset.

Sometimes this problem (based on "IntoWeapons" VZ 58 video) is reported to be caused by flipping the safety on, then off (or vice versa), when the bolt carrier is in a certain position.

mishaco: thanks very much for the detailed evaluations.

Last edited by Laufer; 10-14-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Laufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #37
Fortis
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 16269

Glad I was able to snag my D'Technik several years ago for $660 (w/ box, both stocks & 5 mags). I recently decided to try the black poly fixed stock from Czechpoint as opposed to the folder, I think I like it better. The selling price was actually $650 but neither of us had change so I said screw it, still a good deal...lol.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests” - Patrick Henry
WTB-`82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.
It's MY Island! Mine!
Fortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #38
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Agreed with the idea that back when the VZ2008 was $400 or even $500, and was coming with 5 mags, bayo, and accessories; it was a really good buy.

Now though with it in the $700+ range and few accessories coming with, I think the notion of saving up a bit more to get a D-technik/CSA import is the right way to go.

Czechpoint has had 3 slightly different guns; all in stock within the last year.
1) Current & modern production imports - built in the Czech Republic with a mix of new production and original surplus parts. Features a true milled receiver, 16.1" cold hammer forged & chromelined barrel made in Germany by Walther (they claim they tested these against Czech mfg barrels and found the Walthers to be better), 14x1 right hand muzzle threads, removable muzzle device (either nut or brake depending on variant), and a whole range of furniture options.
2) Older D-Technik Imports, recently converted by Czechpoint - Pretty much same as above, but these are old stock sporters imported several years ago and in storage til now. They have the original 15.4" barrel, so will come with a muzzle device pinned on (either the original extension or a Czech 'beercan' muzzle brake), built with a mix of new & surplus parts, but more likely to have more surplus for having been built earlier. Sold with military furniture; either wood or bakelite, and fixed or folding stock. Could be black or dark grey finished.
3) Czechpoint assembled kits on original Czech receivers - These are kind of like the old Arsenal SA M-7s. Czechpoint did make them here in the USA, but with a complete parts kit with original barrel and imported receiver marked D-Technik. This is the only Czechpoint model that I am aware of with a working bayonet lug, and it has a beercan brake pinned onto the original 15.4" barrel. All parts are military surplus, except for the Czech milled receiver and the 922(r) parts (FCG, follower, and floorplate).

I have all 3 myself, and honestly my favorite is the third option, because it has the bayo lug, came with the scope mount on the left side, and because its all surplus parts. Yes, it was put together here, but Czechpoint is a great outfit and did it right.

Option #1 is great too and retains the ability to switch out the muzzle device, while still having an excellent quality barrel. Plus it has a neato Czech Lion on the receiver.

Option #2 is good for having a lot of surplus parts too, but since it lacks both the bayo lug and the removable brake (plus no neat lion crest), it tends to be my least favorite. That said, It was my first Vz.58 and I like it for that reason. Mine actually came from Century and was one of the first 100 Vz.58 Sporters to ever come in. I had to convert it myself...but the Czechpoint D-Technik converts look identical to it.

Any Vz.58 built on a Czech milled receiver will serve you well. Anything sold by Czechpoint will be of great quality. They hold themselves to a high standard. They really remind me of how Arsenal Inc. used to be back 2002-2005; small company that really takes pride in its work.

Anyway, these are the reasons I like the Czech import over the Century kit build:
1) Collectibility/Desirability, the imports will simply hold value better and be easier to move along later down the road....and if not for you, maybe for your kids or grand kids when you're long gone.
2) True milled receiver - Not sure if the Century VZ2008 has an actual milled receiver? or one that is first rough cast and then machined into final shape. They have always been pretty sketchy about those kinds of details. What is know is that the imports have a true milled receiver.
3) Barrel - Really here there's no contest, the import barrel (be it Czech or German) is of higher quality with a longer service life.
4) Quality of parts - The import either has like new surplus or new new parts. The VZ2008s were built with parts ranging from int condition down to just 'Good' condition. I have seen some pretty heavy wear on some of their parts; not enough to effect anything but enough to be cosmetically 'meh.'
4) And this is a weird one, recoil - For some reason, the Century VZ2008 (at least some of them) has more felt recoil than an import. I do not know why this is, but it has been observed by myself and several others when firing both back-to-back. Three possible reasons come to mind...could be that the Century receiver has different structure and thus transmits vibrations/recoil differently. Or could be that the recoil springs that Century uses have more milage on them, so are a bit weaker than the ones in the imports. Or could be that the Century barrel has a larger gas port, thus the rifles have a slightly more violent action? All just guesses really.

In the end, the Czech imports are just better guns....however, if you do stumble upon a VZ2008 for $500 or so and it has a lot of mags, its not a bad rifle and would be a fun plinker.
But if you have to pay much more, just save up and get the real thing. I really think in the end you won't regret it. And hey, if you do just e-mail me and I'll buy it off you. I've never regretted any of the imports; either buying for myself or for my store. I've sold a good number of them, both Century and imports.
Customer satisfaction has been 100% with the imports. Seriously, I can not recall a single complaint or major issue. One time I sent a guy a steel trigger because he didn't like the polymer one, but no big deal. Those triggers are cheap.
As for the VZ2008s, most I sold guys really liked but we did have a few problems and a couple guns that just didn't work and had to be sent back.
One of the problems was actually with the gun that went to Jay (my youtube partner). His FCG was pretty messed up right out of the box. He had to take it out of the VZ2008, correct a couple things, and then reinstall it. The rifle worked fine after that, but in the end he sold it and bought a Czechpoint.
+1

I have owned all of them however now down to one only and that one is #3 off your list.

I like that it has all the military features including the bayonet lug unlike the earlier imports that were neutered. As stated above quality is first rate.

Last edited by hansellhd; 10-14-2017 at 11:45 PM.
hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:52 PM   #39
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Old 10-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #40
mojo00
AK SNOB

AKaholic #: 9021

VZ2008 here.

It's been flawless for years. Smooth operator, don't know what this blather about felt recoil is about...nearly no recoil at all, fast handling, feels lighter, although milled, than stamped AKM clones.

Don't know about other VZ2008s, one post mentioned muzzle device interchangeablity with AKs.....my barrel is threaded opposite of AK/AKM threads, only Czech devices will fit. I replaced the compensator on mine with a VZ58 muzzle nut.

I like the bayonet lug on the VZ2008, Czech imports don't have it, only because they have the original length barrel, the VZ2008s is slightly longer...hardly noticeable.
libertarians can suck my sweaty balls
mojo00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #41
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172236

Czechpoint also subbed out the rifles to get the magwells opened up by different firms; I know Waffen Werks did some. Thank God that's all they did with them. I'm pretty sure CZ-USA imported some too, I think just before Czechpoint started up.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #42
sboone
MAK Attacker

AKaholic #: 179556

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo00 View Post
VZ2008 here.

It's been flawless for years. Smooth operator, don't know what this blather about felt recoil is about...nearly no recoil at all, fast handling, feels lighter, although milled, than stamped AKM clones.

Don't know about other VZ2008s, one post mentioned muzzle device interchangeablity with AKs.....my barrel is threaded opposite of AK/AKM threads, only Czech devices will fit. I replaced the compensator on mine with a VZ58 muzzle nut.

I like the bayonet lug on the VZ2008, Czech imports don't have it, only because they have the original length barrel, the VZ2008s is slightly longer...hardly noticeable.
Some of the century VZ 2008’s were threaded 14x1 LH like AK’s while some (most I think) were threaded 14x1 RH which is actual 58 threads

"When I die, I want to be buried 1" below the surface that way 1/2" of me can still poke up to say "hey there pretty lady."."

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327470

For Rmiller^^^
sboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #43
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Quote:
VZ2008 here.

My Czechpoint (Knoxville Build) VZ58 CQB has the Bayonet lug, Original 15" barrel and the original steel trigger.

It's as close to an original Military issue VZ58 one can get in this Country.

Last edited by hansellhd; 10-20-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:12 AM   #44
mojo00
AK SNOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansellhd View Post
My Czechpoint (Knoxville Build) VZ58 CQB has the Bayonet lug, Original 15" barrel and the original steel trigger.

It's as close to an original Military issue VZ58 one can get in this Country.
Permanently​ attached muzzle brake I suspect?
Old 10-21-2017, 03:24 AM   #45
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
If it wasn't, it'd be a felony.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:54 AM   #46
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

Either that, or the biggest waste of $200 and a tax stamp ever.

I did meet someone once who was going to file a Form #1 for his Vz.58....for 0.6"...riiiight.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #47
mishaco
Veteran Member

Talking about Czechpoint, I was told by their manager that they were the ones doing the work under contract for CZ-USA back when the SA Vz.58 Sporter was being sold under their name.
As I said earlier, Century was the first to import the sporter model but they never did any conversion work. They just sold them with a single stack magwell and thumbhole buttstock.

Czechpoint was the big outfit to come along and first convert them, and then make and/or retail various parts and upgrades for the Vz.58.

Also, howdy fellow Vz.58 CQB buddy....that's teh one I selected too as it had everything. Sure it was assembled here in the USA, but by guys who knew what they were doing and from all Czech parts, most military surplus.
Mine came with the metal trigger too, though I've seen some variants that did not.

My only small gripe? I wish mine had the fully inclosed ring front sight protector. Instead it has the open topped style, but at least it is the later one with the lightening cuts.
My Czech import Vz has the earliest front sight base without those cuts, so at least they are a bit different.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #48
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Yes, it's explained in the video. I don't mind as I like the VZ MB that came with the Rifle so I would never replace it anyway.

As for a $200.00 tax stamp......well No Fucking Way!

Old 10-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #49
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172236

Have a couple of the brakes (one blind pinned by me); would love to find someone local who could (economically) swap FSBs; don't really need a bayo lug, but I just want one.....with a beaver barf bayonet.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #50
mojo00
AK SNOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cztulsa View Post
Have a couple of the brakes (one blind pinned by me); would love to find someone local who could (economically) swap FSBs; don't really need a bayo lug, but I just want one.....with a beaver barf bayonet.
Don't really need a bayonet lug either, but I like to keep the rifles I own, looking close as possible to it's original.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #51
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Don't really need a bayonet lug either, but I like to keep the rifles I own, looking close as possible to it's original.

Me 2.

BTW nice looking Vz2008. I had one myself but sold it.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #52
LCR

AKaholic #: 191617

the vz58 is my favorite rifle. short stroke best stroke. no melting gas tubes or cracking bolt lugs to worry about

it does have a few issues out of the box, like no heatshield for the lower handguard, but once you get those fixed it is the BEST
LCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #53
Laufer

LCR:
There have been constant comments about the inadequate heatshield on the lower handguard, but it's nice of you to remind people who don't yet own one.

If I find one at an acceptable price at the huge show, the heat won't matter much in the summer time, because when a barrel first gets hot, I switch rifles.

Last edited by Laufer; 10-31-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #54
mishaco
Veteran Member

I just swapped my modern Czechpoint with the 16" barrel for an older D-Technik with the original 15.4" barrel.
It is one that Czechpoint reworked; opening up the magwell and removing the original extension and replacing it with a Czech muzzle brake that's pinned.

Also, took my Czechpoint Vz.58 CQB with us to the range last Friday. It shot great as always. It has the fixed beaver barf stock.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:53 AM   #55
Laufer

mishaco: at least those stocks have much more color than my 100% original Saiga's black plastic.

The "beaver" stocks must be fairly rugged, as I've not read about any tendency to crack, despite the narrow profile.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:14 AM   #56
mishaco
Veteran Member

Thinking of doing a video....thought i'd ask you folks what you thought and ask for opinions...

It would be a comparison of the various semi-auto Vz.58s in the USA: OOW Vz.2000, orig D-Technik imports (Century, CZ-USA, TGI, and Czechpoint all had these), Vz.2008 series, and the newer CSA marked imports.
Also of course various other kit builds like the CNC Warrior and Czechpoints on D-T receivers like Hen and I have.

Just seems like there have been a lot of questions on the semi Vz.58 recently.

Also BTW: Czechpoint has the Vz.58 Military with black furniture and Vz.58 Military Select with beaver barf both in stock right now.

I know the price isn't cheap, but trust me...worth it all the way.
These guns are seriously great.
They have mags on sale too for $18 and bayonets for $10.
Or even better "moldy mag pouch's for $3 hehe. I want to buy one of those just because of the brutally honest advertising lol.

Oh and they got in some of those Alfa-Proj revolvers...anyone ever shoot one? I am kind of interested.
The .22 versions are under $300 with the .357s under $500 retail.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #57
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Thinking of doing a video....thought i'd ask you folks what you thought and ask for opinions...

It would be a comparison of the various semi-auto Vz.58s in the USA: OOW Vz.2000, orig D-Technik imports (Century, CZ-USA, TGI, and Czechpoint all had these), Vz.2008 series, and the newer CSA marked imports.
Also of course various other kit builds like the CNC Warrior and Czechpoints on D-T receivers like Hen and I have.

Just seems like there have been a lot of questions on the semi Vz.58 recently.

Also BTW: Czechpoint has the Vz.58 Military with black furniture and Vz.58 Military Select with beaver barf both in stock right now.

I know the price isn't cheap, but trust me...worth it all the way.
These guns are seriously great.
They have mags on sale too for $18 and bayonets for $10.
Or even better "moldy mag pouch's for $3 hehe. I want to buy one of those just because of the brutally honest advertising lol.

Oh and they got in some of those Alfa-Proj revolvers...anyone ever shoot one? I am kind of interested.
The .22 versions are under $300 with the .357s under $500 retail.
Do it Bro, Do It.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:02 PM   #58
mishaco
Veteran Member

Just borrowed a friend's Vz.2008, and I have the D-T & CSA Czechpoints myself.
Going to look for a VZ2000 but not optimistic.

Wish i had a 100% unconverted VZ.58 sporter here with the single stack magwell & skeleton stock too.

There are always pictures at least.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #59
Sirex
Goldmember

AKaholic #: 181199

I have one of the Century VZ2008 rifles, and it has been a great rifle. I never had the trigger gremlin, but had a tab welded to be on the safe side. Trigger is heavy, but the rifle is accurate. I think it may be one of Century's better rifles, as another machine shop milled the receiver, Green Mountain made the barrel, the rest were surplus parts, and Century just assembled it. Can't recall the machine shop that made the receiver, I think it was in Ludlow, MA perhaps? The barrel isn't chrome lined, but I have my Vepr if I ever need heavy duty usage, the VZ2008 is a range plinker. Since the receiver is made here, I don't think it is bound by any 922r nonsense, so being an American made firearm, you can add whatever you legally want. I can't speak for the Czech made VZ58s but I have heard nothing but good reviews about them. I got a great deal on my VZ2008, and that is really the only reason I chose it over the VZ58, timing and opportunity. But, it is fun.

The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war."
Sirex is offline   Reply With Quote