Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Galils, Valmets and the R series

Notices

Old 12-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #36
red89notch

AKaholic #: 179812

I'm just starting to get a little impatient is all. I want an ARM but I do not want one if I can't have a nice wood handguard and an authentic styled carry handle. That may sound weird but those are a must for me. I have held off on buying a kit just because of this. Now that wood handguards are available I am just needing 1 thing that I paid for 7 months ago.
red89notch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #37
aresshrike

AKaholic #: 180010

I just spoke to Lewis & Black.
They said they just got the carry handles in from Israel, and have to look them over, but there're sure the handles are in great condition, and these orders should be in the hands of those who've ordered, within 10 days or so.

It was no problem contacting them at all.
They said full refunds were, and are, always available, if you get sick of waiting.

The carry handle/front retainers production promises were off, because of manufacturers issues, that were not foreseen.
(Additionally, the family patriarch just passed away, so they were "out of sorts" for a little while, but they're back on track now)
aresshrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #38
red89notch

Good news!
Old 01-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #39
Dillman2

AKaholic #: 196790

Anyone get theirs yet?
Dillman2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:34 AM   #40
Ilyushin2

AKaholic #: 173182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillman2 View Post
Anyone get theirs yet?
Not yet.
Ilyushin2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #41
red89notch

I got mine in today and was a little disappointed that it and the split collar ring are made out of aluminum. I thought it was suppose to be true to the originals but what can you do. Guess I'm just glad I received something.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #42
Traveler2

AKaholic #: 151027

received mine.....as noted above, material is Alum, geometry is not true to original IMI in several areas-- it's quite thinner .318" vs. .360" (IMI & Makman90) the offset on the handle thru bore area is such that I would have to relieve my handguard more for it to seat flat on the end. I don't have a original IMI to measure for comparison but the handguard fittment tells me it's offset between .05 and .100" more that the OG unit.

The aluminum is an obvious issue on durability, if you're gonna actually tote the weapon around with this handle then this retainer/pin is gonna distort as well as the bipod retaining area will get beat up with it's use also.

I'm gonna run the Makman90 unit I got last year, it's steel, made the correct thickness, and is plain robust to actually last with normal usage, I'll happily use this until I can come across an actual IMI piece or someone makes an accurate copy of the IMI unit.

the fit and finish of the L&B piece is quite nice, it's burr free, and anodized I believe. I just think they missed the mark by making it out of Alum instead of steel, it's a heavy weapon and toting it around by the handle as originally intended at least doesn't make sense to make it out of a soft delicate material like they did.

I saw a pic by block tactical?? with a fairly accurate copy of the IMI retainer in what looks to be steel, anybody have any info on this??

Just my .02 on this, L&B has been great to deal with- parts for my build, questions, ect. I'm probably gonna contact them regarding my concerns and go from there, this retainer and pin may likely be for sale soon.
Traveler2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #43
Ilyushin2

AKaholic #: 173182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2 View Post
received mine.....as noted above, material is Alum, geometry is not true to original IMI in several areas-- it's quite thinner .318" vs. .360" (IMI & Makman90) the offset on the handle thru bore area is such that I would have to relieve my handguard more for it to seat flat on the end. I don't have a original IMI to measure for comparison but the handguard fittment tells me it's offset between .05 and .100" more that the OG unit.

The aluminum is an obvious issue on durability, if you're gonna actually tote the weapon around with this handle then this retainer/pin is gonna distort as well as the bipod retaining area will get beat up with it's use also.

I'm gonna run the Makman90 unit I got last year, it's steel, made the correct thickness, and is plain robust to actually last with normal usage, I'll happily use this until I can come across an actual IMI piece or someone makes an accurate copy of the IMI unit.

the fit and finish of the L&B piece is quite nice, it's burr free, and anodized I believe. I just think they missed the mark by making it out of Alum instead of steel, it's a heavy weapon and toting it around by the handle as originally intended at least doesn't make sense to make it out of a soft delicate material like they did.

I saw a pic by block tactical?? with a fairly accurate copy of the IMI retainer in what looks to be steel, anybody have any info on this??

Just my .02 on this, L&B has been great to deal with- parts for my build, questions, ect. I'm probably gonna contact them regarding my concerns and go from there, this retainer and pin may likely be for sale soon.
+1
Ilyushin2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #44
mullicrk
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169520

Did I miss something here?

Where did they say that the retainer was aluminum?

Is the handle real?.....or is it even made of steel?

You guys knows that retainer will fail right? Those weapons were not made to be toted by soft metal and I think it boarders on Dangerous.

Of course that if you are foolish enough to put it on a real firearm and not a toy.

I started a Gunbroker, Ebay and general airsoft scammer section for bullshit scammer parts and this one would fall under that category. Even the airsoft retainer is made of pot metal and not aluminum! Thats not much better but still better.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #45
mullicrk
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169520

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...ghlight=warned
Old 01-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #46
Traveler2

AKaholic #: 151027

Per my emails with Mr. Tucker yesterday, material is 7055 t6 Alum.

The handle appears to be original IMI part but don’t have an original to compare it to.

The problem is once deformation gets beyond its threshold, alum will fail as compared to even 1018 mild steel. 7000 series Alum is some strong stuff, but in this application I believe it’s the wrong choice.

Last edited by Traveler2; 01-18-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Traveler2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #47
Oldmandan

AKaholic #: 178063

Donít know why he made it out of AL, after all the negative comments about the airsoft version? It is obvious, to me at least... that there would be some pissed off customers
Oldmandan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #48
Saw

AKaholic #: 194061

Got mine a couple days ago. Packaged in a ziplock bag...hmm. Anodized aluminum airsoft retainer. Very disappointed.

Just rechecked website. Pictures of the assembly clearly shows a cast steel piece (possible factory OEM). Definitely different than the aluminum one received.
Saw is online now   Reply With Quote