Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
MotoG5

AKaholic #: 192323
Default Completed DPM Build

Early last year I started out to build a DPM kit. Bought the kit and planned on doing a reweld build. In the time following several things too complicated to list here changed for me and I decided to do the build using one of SMG's receivers. I also used their semi auto conversion kit and barrel. I do plan on going ahead and doing a second gun and reweld the cut receiver I have from the kit along with a second kit I picked up. What I have learned doing this rifle will help with the second build and I now have my new shop set up and have replaced my welding set up and shop tools. ( Long story to explain all this.)
At any rate I have completed and tested the pictured DPM. It ran OK with everything looking good. I did have a few times the trigger set didn't reset but I think that a bit more careful grinding will fix the issue.

MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
Black Canyon prospector
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 155881

Very nice!

...including the two left feet.

Stand together Men

If more than one goose are geese, why arn't moose meese?

ATF should be a convenience store

#nolivesmatteronlymoneydoes

PBR Street-Gang...

This is Over-Lord... Roger?
Black Canyon prospector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
OHVET

AKaholic #: 190610

Looks good and they are a blast to shoot. Mine reminds me of shooting a label maker. I built a fixture and a friend welded it for me. I was going to use the same trigger design but no one had them in stock. I made a mock up of the design to make my own but discovered that it was a bad design for a number of reasons so I modified mine to use an AK FCG. I was piercing primers so I had to bush the firing pin hole and make a new firing pin. The weather turned to crap here but I am looking forward to getting back out with it again in the spring.
OHVET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

The receiver is the IMPORTANT / hard part and once that is complete the other smaller issues can be tackled. Pretty cool guns and design , too bad the parts to make them dried up.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #5
OHVET

It does take some talent to weld. You assemble all the parts in the receiver with the barrel stub in place and clamp it together with a "GO" gauge installed to set headspace and locate the front section, the grip frame installed to locate the tail piece, and clamp on a piece of flat stock to keep it flat, then tack it all together. Then you strip it down and weld a little at a time leaving the flat stock clamped to keep it straight. When you're done it will probably shrink slightly but lapping the locking flap a bit will bring it right in. The grip frame may need minor lapping also. The main thing is to keep it flat and straight after it is stripped back apart.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
OHVET

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HaD7eio.gifv[/IMG]
This is my lapping set-up
Old 01-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #7
MotoG5

Ben messing around with the Cajun Country jig I bought last year and found it to be something less than I had hoped. I think I can use it with some "additions" for a tacking jig basically using the method OHVET suggests. The welding part isn't an issue now that I have a tig set up again. I was a gas turbine maintenance tech and plant welder for over forty years. The CC jig will work for keeping things in alignment AFTER having tacked the sections up in the proper locations. I don't recommend this jig by the way. But with a few mods I think I can get it to handle the tack up.
I plan on adding some flat strap clamped to the sides to keep things in alignment for tacking. Then flip the whole assembly over to do the finish welds. I will also do some tig build up and grinding to get the gaps close to decent v-groove open butt joints for the finish welds checking as I go to maintain correct fit up. After doing the head spacing on the first rifle I know what needs to be done on the weld up to get that done. Looking forward to the more difficult build now that I have what is needed to get it done.
Hey OHVET you might find some of the parts in the pics kind of familiar.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #8
MotoG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHVET View Post
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HaD7eio.gifv[/IMG]
This is my lapping set-up
Outstanding!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #9
OHVET

Yes they were the cause of many sleepless nights my friend. The jig doesn't look like you can install the bolt carrier and that is important to have aligned. I made my own jig. I also located my denial pin under the rear sight and widened and deepened the ejector slot on the bolt so a full auto bolt can't be installed. Lucky for me my receiver was only 3 pieces.
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

Welding is half the battle and a moot point if its not the proper length and fixtured properly.
A good holding fixture and staggering the welds with tacking it in multiple places, staggering the welds then giving it a soak @ 400~500F for an hour wraps it up.

WAY cool guns and a lot of meat on the receiver to work with.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 PM   #11
MotoG5

Nice jig and a really innovative approach to the rec denial. Only one pin and a much easier mod to the bolt than the two side pins and matching side cuts needed on the bolt. Cool.
Yea, the Cajun Country jig is an expensive piece of scrap aluminum but the one I got is a good level bed to work off of to cobble up something that may work for measured tacking and then a base for final weld up, with additional work of course. I would not sell it to someone else so may as well make the best of it.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #12
OHVET

Once you know what needs to be done you can modify the jig, it is still on the right track. I added angle to the 4 corners to hold the length and squareness and then removed one angle at a time as the welding in that area was done then replaced it. At some point there is enough weld that the fixture is not needed anymore and just keeping it from warping and twisting is all that is important.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
MotoG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal50 View Post
Welding is half the battle and a moot point if its not the proper length and fixtured properly.
A good holding fixture and staggering the welds with tacking it in multiple places, staggering the welds then giving it a soak @ 400~500F for an hour wraps it up.

WAY cool guns and a lot of meat on the receiver to work with.
Absolutely, the best way to work on controlling warping and shrinking. You still will get some shrinking but I hope that some time spent first building up and cleaning the joints then making proper v-grooves out of them will also help. When the correct locations are set up some of the gaps as they are from the torch cuts are pretty wide and very uneven. A quick fix for this is to buy another kit and mix and match the sections so one can saw cut nice clean straight joints and make for one less weld but I have already spent all I care to on this so I am going to just do the best I can with what is left over. After all its really just something fun to do and I now have plenty of time to do it.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #14
MotoG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Canyon prospector View Post
Very nice!

...including the two left feet.
Not quite....
This was two left feet that came with the kit.

I sent the extra left back to Bowman's and they sent the right foot in the build pic. Except for some reason the metal flap is on the front of the leg instead of being on the back. Thought about flipping it around but I am really not too worried about it.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #15
OHVET

Nice weld job on the shroud.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #16
17 Vive liberatum 76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 193776

So much fun! Very cool OP

The NRA is worse than the Amerikan left. They are traitors and betray with a kiss.

Leftism is Satanism. The left is the main enemy of these united States of America.
17 Vive liberatum 76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #17
dnepr0mike

AKaholic #: 156623

any details on the semi-auto mods? i find very little info on it so far. either old threads from decade ago with no photos and vague explanations or just pic-threads of already completed builds.

from what i understand i need to:
1. make receiver unable to accept original bolt and/or carrier (clarification needed on exacts)
2. mill-away sear catch on the carrier underside portion
3. plug somehow pin/wedge hole in the bolt to prevent accepting original pin/wedge.
4. remove pin portion from pin/wedge part

anything else i'm missing/unaware of?
dnepr0mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #18
Dee2012

AKaholic #: 164700

This is a cool thread. Not sure how I missed it.
I love the carrier lapping set up. I can set up something like it using my lathe on threading speed rather than hand lapping. Looks like a machine from the Industrial Revolution...
Dee2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #19
OHVET

I adapted an AK47 FCG and a transfer bar to mine. I will try to get some pics this weekend. I mocked up the striker design but it had too many bad design areas that made it less than acceptable to me.