Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 11:19 PM   #36
Longshot725
Patriot
Contributor

AKaholic #: 168398

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Wouldn't that be the same case with their competitors. After dropping and cracking them, they would keep working until they got wet?
I'm just thinking that it's one more spot to fail. To me the solar power is just ginger bread. I've yet to pick up one of my rifles and had a battery dead.

I own a Holosun 403B and run it on my Mossberg 930SPX. Maybe 150 rounds through it so far and it does a very good job. My least favorite thing about it is the battery tray. It takes a tiny phillips head screwdriver to get at the battery. I'm not hating on these Holosuns but for me, the more simple the better.
Longshot725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:24 PM   #37
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176461

Anyone know of a optics planet discount code? I’d like to grab one but would like the 10% off
Stopsign32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:28 AM   #38
plastikman47

AKaholic #: 188391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Anyone know of a optics planet discount code? Id like to grab one but would like the 10% off
You could use GUNSNGEAR10

So I got a 510c about 3 weeks ago. I've had it for 2 whole weeks, and it quit working. Won't turn on with or without battery or solar. Nothing emitting. No amount of pressing buttons did anything. I never even took the damn thing outside.
Thankfully optics planet seems to have a good RMA process (so far), hoping to get it exchanged for a new one and I just got a bad one.

All that being said, It was pretty damn nice when I had it. The reticle is just superb.
plastikman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #39
army_eod

AKaholic #: 195038

If I had unlimited funds, I would only buy Trijicon optics. I own two of them now. I may replace the Holosun at some point with a Trijicon.
army_eod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #40
Stopsign32v
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176461

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
I may replace the Holosun at some point with a Trijicon.
Why?
Stopsign32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #41
army_eod

AKaholic #: 195038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Why?
I like the reflex sights; no batteries.
army_eod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #42
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183128

^
The model being discussed can work without batteries but most reflex sight do have batteries. That is not what makes a reflex sight a reflex.
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #43
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

AKaholic #: 157162

These seem to have gone up in price pretty much everywhere since the inital release. Optics planet has them in both black and FDE with red or green reticles right for $263 shipped with code HSUN12

So tempted to grab a FDE one
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #44
wolf762

AKaholic #: 193313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
These seem to have gone up in price pretty much everywhere since the inital release. Optics planet has them in both black and FDE with red or green reticles right for $263 shipped with code HSUN12

So tempted to grab a FDE one

Just hold out until they have 18% "red dots" off . That coupon code whatever it may be works on a wide range of non magnification optics . Sign up for news letter / call them and say you don't want to wait for the coupon and see if they'll do it then . Good luck
wolf762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:26 AM   #45
locknload
Master Tinkerer

AKaholic #: 155795

Shot a friends Tavor with a 510c, I liked it.
Quick on target, seemed well built.
Felt a bit heavy compared to my micro dots.
$202. at Optics Agent.

http://www.opticsagent.com/view_cart.asp

LL
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
locknload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #46
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by locknload View Post
$202. at Optics Agent.

LL
Oh man.......at $202 I might have to buy it just to kill my curiousity
Old 01-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #47
ah-k

AKaholic #: 168741

Are these "holographics" any better for people with astigmatism than the tube-style dots? I remember looking through an EOTech years ago and it seemed pretty crisp but it's been quite a while.

"I'd rather see a rifle "Magpul-fucked" than "Tapco-fucked". - Flankenstein
ah-k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #48
wolf762

AKaholic #: 193313

I given up completely on tube red dots/ mini dots because of my astigmatism . These type of sights are what you seek . My Meopro Tru-dot RDS is same concept as the holoson and the dot is 100% clear to me
wolf762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #49
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

Im not quite sure this Holosun uses the same kind of tech as an Eotech. I thought eotechs used laser to make a holographic image, and this holosun is still LED like their micros, just in open reflex sight fashion
Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #50
ah-k

AKaholic #: 168741

Quote:
Im not quite sure this Holosun uses the same kind of tech as an Eotech. I thought eotechs used laser to make a holographic image, and this holosun is still LED like their micros, just in open reflex sight fashion
I guess that's my question. If it uses the same type of emitter as a tube style how would it be any better/different?

"I'd rather see a rifle "Magpul-fucked" than "Tapco-fucked". - Flankenstein
ah-k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #51
s10nova

AKaholic #: 163662

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah-k View Post
I guess that's my question. If it uses the same type of emitter as a tube style how would it be any better/different?
I'm pretty sure they don't use the same type....that's why EOtechs look like a bunch of little dots vs. solid reticle or however you would word it
...I got a 512 about a month ago and shot with it for the first time yesterday...I liked it a lot...
When I messed with it on my gun and first looked at it all the little dots that make up the reticle kinda bothered me...when in use though it's not an issue...
I think thousands of soldiers and LE people would agree.
But Holosuns stuff looks great also...longer battery life...
I may pic up one of their offerings next.
s10nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #52
jonjon

AKaholic #: 176916
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by locknload View Post
$202. at Optics Agent.

LL
Thanks, just bought one..
jonjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #53
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

I will give holosun this, I lost the caps to my 403a and I contacted them today about replacement, thinking I would pay a small fee for them of course, and they got back to me in an hour and said just give us your address and we'll get them right out, no questions asked.

The next Miss America will be David Hogg- Owen Benjamin.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #54
Polytech_81

AKaholic #: 194253

Got a well used one from my buddy locally cheap a few weeks ago and have been running it on my Mossberg 590SPX while I wait for my 11.5" AR upper to come in. So far I love it! 115rds of random full power buckshot and slugs and it holds zero. Reticule is way more clear than EO-Tech, and I like I have 3 reticule options as well. My only complaint is the battery tray design but with the solar panel (not worried about that) and much longer battery life over EO-Techs I shouldn't have to mess with the tray too much.

I used to have a EO-Tech 512 years ago and the batteries corroded while sitting in my safe. L3 was cool enough to clean it up and send it back to me but I sold it shortly afterwards. I said screw EO-Tech way before the thermal drift debacle.

I already had a older Primary Arms/Holosun MD-06 red dot on the Mossy before and that worked great on there as well, with the OEM screw mounts (I don't trust any screw mounts, especially after having an issued RCO with thumbscrew mount fail on me before).

Even the vaunted Aimpoint T1 has failed me, I had one that would no longer zero and had to send it back to them. I got my two on sale years ago around $500 and haven't bought anymore as Aimpoint seems to jack their prices up every year.

Holosun makes good stuff that is affordable, definitely be buying more.
Polytech_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:33 AM   #55
burninglegs
Where we go one we go all

AKaholic #: 183372

Those of you that bought the 510C in the last few weeks, have you had a chance to use it and what are your thoughts so far?
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #56
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

Quote:
Those of you that bought the 510C in the last few weeks, have you had a chance to use it and what are your thoughts so far?
thats what Im wanting to know........I really wish we got an answer on if the glass has red reflection all over it when there is a light source behind it. One video i saw th eother day, it appeared the top and bottom of the glass had 1/4" thick red lines straight across it, outdoors with the sun behind the optic
Old 01-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #57
PORTER
Been there done that.

AKaholic #: 184098

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
I will give holosun this, I lost the caps to my 403a and I contacted them today about replacement, thinking I would pay a small fee for them of course, and they got back to me in an hour and said just give us your address and we'll get them right out, no questions asked.
I have had a similar situation, bought the solar powered micro and broke the mount bolt as I tightened it too tight. Called them up and they sent out another and threw in some extra bolts just in case no charge. I have 6 Holosun micro dots and have been running them hard in the PNW winter/summer and I am convinced they will serve me well. Very happy with their products as well as their customer service.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #58
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

Holsouns Elite line now comes with a lifetime warranty on the glass / metal and 10 years on the LED / Illumination vs the 5yrs previously. This is only on their "elite" series though, which according to their website, the 510c falls under
Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #59
burninglegs

Quote:
thats what Im wanting to know........I really wish we got an answer on if the glass has red reflection all over it when there is a light source behind it. One video i saw th eother day, it appeared the top and bottom of the glass had 1/4" thick red lines straight across it, outdoors with the sun behind the optic
Me too. Plus I'd like to hear more opinions regarding the clarity of the glass and reticle. Hopefully more of you will chime in.

Quote:
Holsouns Elite line now comes with a lifetime warranty on the glass / metal and 10 years on the LED / Illumination vs the 5yrs previously. This is only on their "elite" series though, which according to their website, the 510c falls under
That is good to know. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #60
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor
Veteran Member

Quote:
If looking straight trough like you are suppose to and it's mounted at the mid position (not to close to the eye but more in the middle of the rifle) it has no reflection. Closer it has a red reflection in a form of a bar in the upper or lower but you really have to look for it.
Glass is VERY clear. For the money, I don't think they could have made a better sight.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #61
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon&AlcoholDistributor View Post
If looking straight trough like you are suppose to and it's mounted at the mid position (not to close to the eye but more in the middle of the rifle) it has no reflection. Closer it has a red reflection in a form of a bar in the upper or lower but you really have to look for it.
Glass is VERY clear. For the money, I don't think they could have made a better sight.
Thanks for chiming in. That mirrors what I saw, and come to think of it, dude did have the camera zoomed in a little to show the reticle better (although not super zoomed in).

Im very confident in holosuns sights being able to take a beating and being good enough for real life firefights as long as im not next to an IED going off, and the new and improved warranty on the Elite stuff makes it super easy to sleep at night......when my Aimpoint sells it will either be this 510c or the new 503GU Elite with the Green LED 2moa dot / 65moa switchable combo. My current 503GU has been excellent to date, im really interested in seeing how my eyes respond to the green...........decisions
Old 01-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #62
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon&AlcoholDistributor View Post
You were the one that have/had a Eotech EXPS2 and said you still like the 510C better than it, right? Just curious if after more time with the 510C you still feel it is as durable as the EOTech long term. I know the titanium hood on the 510C is a nice feature. Just wonder about the internals and whether they have been designed for heavy duty use?

Any issue with the auto ON/auto OFF feature?

Have you run a magnifier behind it and if so any issues with that at all?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #63
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

Correction.........the regular 510C is covered by the 5yr illumination warranty, the 510C elite is covered by the 10yr illumination warranty. The entire elite line, with double the illumination warranty, consists of green reticles............wonder what holosun figured out with their new green series vs red that they are that much more confident in.

510C elite with green reticle...........THIS i might have to get, i hope some real pictures of the reticle pop up soon now that its SHOT show time

https://holosun.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=63

Also, look at this thing..........the 512T with an MSRP of almost $600

https://holosun.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=79
Old 01-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #64
burninglegs

I don't see anyone with that HS512T in stock. Is it discontinued? Can't even find any field reviews of it.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #65
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor
Veteran Member

Quote:
You were the one that have/had a Eotech EXPS2 and said you still like the 510C better than it, right? Just curious if after more time with the 510C you still feel it is as durable as the EOTech long term. I know the titanium hood on the 510C is a nice feature. Just wonder about the internals and whether they have been designed for heavy duty use?

Any issue with the auto ON/auto OFF feature?

Have you run a magnifier behind it and if so any issues with that at all?
If I had to pick one for SHTF or War, I'd definitely go with Holosun 510C.
When you hold one, you'll definitely know it's quality build gear (Not that Eotech isn't).

If Eotech was battery free and or 50,000 hour battery life it'd be a hard choice as I really like Eotech's laser reticle. It's just something about grainy reticle that's cool. But it's short battery life is a deal killer for me when compared to Holosun.
I never used any magnifiers.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #66
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

Quote:
I don't see anyone with that HS512T in stock. Is it discontinued? Can't even find any field reviews of it.
Basically none of the "elite" series on Holosuns page show up anywhere on the internet yet, just the 503GU elite does at a few retailers but no reviews yet. Im guessing these are all new releases, with the 503GU being the first one out the gate, and all the others to follow within the months after SHOT
Old 01-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #67
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

on a side note........just took my Holosun 503GU outside in GLARING sun (not a cloud in the sky).......holy shit that 650MOA reticle was crystal clear outdoors on the brightest of bright days.......walked around the entire parking lot aiming the optic 360 degrees and basically no red reflection at all.........think im sticking to the 503GU series, veryyyyy impressed with the glass and daylight brightness..........might sell all my sig romeo 5s
Old 01-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #68
burninglegs

Quote:
on a side note........just took my Holosun 503GU outside in GLARING sun (not a cloud in the sky).......holy shit that 650MOA reticle was crystal clear outdoors on the brightest of bright days.......walked around the entire parking lot aiming the optic 360 degrees and basically no red reflection at all.........think im sticking to the 503GU series, veryyyyy impressed with the glass and daylight brightness..........might sell all my sig romeo 5s
Same clarity as the blem PA Advanced Micro Dot?
Old 01-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #69
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

Quote:
Same clarity as the blem PA Advanced Micro Dot?
id say better........no tint at all (i felt the PA had a DROP) and the PA blem had a some noticeable reflection at angles with light behind it
Old 01-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #70
burninglegs

Quote:
id say better........no tint at all (i felt the PA had a DROP) and the PA blem had a some noticeable reflection at angles with light behind it
I didn't notice that with my PA blem. I'll have to take it out on a bright day and play with it at different angles like you did with the Holosun.