Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 04-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #36
brawny
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187460

When I moved to SC I was shocked at people not wearing helmets because I've never seen people on the road without one. Still makes me shake my head. I heard someone say that once you spend a weekend at an ER you'll never even want to ride a bike.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

The devil whispered in my ear, “Your not strong enough to withstand the storm.”

Today I whispered in the devil’s ear, “You're.”
brawny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #37
WinterWar
Cpl, FDF reserve

AKaholic #: 190784

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXGreg View Post
I see riders all the time putting in ear plugs because their exhaust is too damn loud. THAT'S decreased hearing. Put a good exhaust system on the bike and wear a helmet, you'll live longer.
BS. I used earplugs, even when wearing the helmet, because of the wind noise. No matter what helmet I used, the wind noise was always a problem. I have rode motorcycles for over 25 years, shot guns for over 30 years so I need to protect my hearing, or what is left of it. I hate using the ear plugs but...

Finland 100 years 12/6/2017
WinterWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #38
Konstantin

AKaholic #: 170025

Quote:
I see riders all the time putting in ear plugs because their exhaust is too damn loud. THAT'S decreased hearing. Put a good exhaust system on the bike and wear a helmet, you'll live longer.
That's not for the exhaust noise, it's for the wind. I don't ride anymore, but I blame most of my hearing loss on riding without ear protection.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #39
WinterWar
Cpl, FDF reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin View Post
That's not for the exhaust noise, it's for the wind. I don't ride anymore, but I blame most of my hearing loss on riding without ear protection.
Yup, that's my blame also. And one reckless mofo shooting a 357 Magnum right by my ear when I was 17.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #40
shajopma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171347

Quote:
I never ride without ear plugs and a full face, no problem hearing whats going on around me. Part of the noise is exhaust sure, but hours of wind noise really gets to you too.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #41
WinterWar
Cpl, FDF reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawny View Post
When I moved to SC I was shocked at people not wearing helmets because I've never seen people on the road without one. Still makes me shake my head. I heard someone say that once you spend a weekend at an ER you'll never even want to ride a bike.
I know a riding instructor who used to work as an EMT and firefighter for couple of decades. He is laughing when some of his students ask that how can you still ride after seeing all the horrible motorcycle crashes. He says that people tend to make motorcycle crashes sound so horrible, and of course they are. But at the same time there is more car crashes that are as horrible or even worse. He has seen more of those. And nobody ever asks him if he is afraid of driving a car...

People who stop riding just because there are horrible accidents involving motorcycles are just f*cking idiots. You are in a risk every second of your life, you can get electrocuted at your own home, you can crash your car, you can walk by the side of the road and get hit by a semi, train you are riding in might crash, someone might have ND at gun range and hit you, you might get beaten up in a bar and get a brain damage(like one of my friends) etc etc. Well ok, if you are scared of riding maybe it actually is better to stop doing that. I have seen riders on a road that are clearly scared and because of that they are a danger to themselves and the others.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #42
brawny
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187460

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWar View Post
I know a riding instructor who used to work as an EMT and firefighter for couple of decades. He is laughing when some of his students ask that how can you still ride after seeing all the horrible motorcycle crashes. He says that people tend to make motorcycle crashes sound so horrible, and of course they are. But at the same time there is more car crashes that are as horrible or even worse. He has seen more of those. And nobody ever asks him if he is afraid of driving a car...

People who stop riding just because there are horrible accidents involving motorcycles are just f*cking idiots. You are in a risk every second of your life, you can get electrocuted at your own home, you can crash your car, you can walk by the side of the road and get hit by a semi, train you are riding in might crash, someone might have ND at gun range and hit you, you might get beaten up in a bar and get a brain damage(like one of my friends) etc etc. Well ok, if you are scared of riding maybe it actually is better to stop doing that. I have seen riders on a road that are clearly scared and because of that they are a danger to themselves and the others.
I'm with you. The guy said it in the context of bringing his son to the ER. I've seen a lot of wrecks and don't recall ever seeing a motorcycle wreck. I've never ridden, only because of not having discretionary funds to do so. I'd love a 650 but such is life. My dad had his kneecap ground off and had several road scars from bike crashes. If he were still alive he'd give me more grief about wanting a bike than my wife or mom. Life is full of risks, can't live under a rock.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

The devil whispered in my ear, “Your not strong enough to withstand the storm.”

Today I whispered in the devil’s ear, “You're.”
brawny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #43
sigking
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 8744

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajopma View Post
I see idiots stopping on the NC/SC border taking their helmets off all the time, I just don't get it. I have two rashed up helmets that saved my face at least.

Me too. I live next to a border with NC. It's crazy.

Take them off and tie them to grab bars/back rest.

Most are just for looks, a thin plastic shell.

I always get shitted on for wearing mine.

When I fall...let it be from a bullet and not a blade to the throat..

That's what I believe, but I wake up in tin foil pajamas everyday.
sigking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #44
Thruxton-Texas
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174649

ATGATT: All the gear, all the time. Shorthand for a philosophy that complete motorcycle safety gear should be worn at all times, and gear should not be reduced at times when the perceived risk is less.

When you ride on the street, everything solid that you can hit, or be hit by, is made of concrete, asphalt, steel, with a bit of wood (in the form of trees) thrown in for good measure. I cringe every time I see some idiot on a bike dressed in a T-shirt, shorts, flip-flops, and no helmet.

At 30mph, in a slide on pavement, the material in a new pair of bluejeans wears through to the skin in less than 4 feet. There was a horror story circulating several years back; the fine details escape me now. It seems that a young woman in Arizona was riding "bitch" on the back of her boyfriend's crotch-rocket, dressed only in a T-shirt, Capri pants, canvas tennis shoes, and a full-faced helmet. When he reached a speed of approximately 140-150mph, she was somehow blown off the back. During her slide on the hot road surface (there was no solid collision), she suffered severe abrasion injuries; one of her breasts was ground-off flush with her chest. A helmet alone is not enough; all it does is keep you alive so that you can endure the pain from your other injuries.

I quit riding a couple of years ago; too many cell-phone zombies, psychotic aggressive drivers, and head-up-the-ass "cagers" to contend with. It quit being fun after awhile; and at my age, the healing process isn't as quick as it used to be. But when I rode, it was always "ATGATT"; full-faced helmet, gloves, leather jacket (the "ballistic nylon" types just melt into your skin), boots, and a set of knit Kevlar "long johns" (made by the Draggin' Jeans company) under my blue-jeans. Even then, I was under no illusion that I was "bullet proof".
........James.

EDIT: Here's the link to the gory details of the accident recounted above; I knew it was still out there somewhere: http://www.getyourownbike.com/BrittanyMorrow.htm
Building guns whose pressure-bearing parts are made from low quality castings, of unverified materials, from a 3rd World foundry, is the moral equivalent of selling hamburgers made by a cook who didn't wash his hands after taking a dump. ........James.

Last edited by Thruxton-Texas; 04-14-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Thruxton-Texas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #45
sigking
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Damn, those Draggin Jeans seems to be the way to go.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #46
mp.

AKaholic #: 217

Meth is a dangerous drug.
mp. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #47
shajopma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171347

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigking View Post
Damn, those Draggin Jeans seems to be the way to go.

Geezus, dudes lucky he's not a eunuch now, lol!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #48
WinterWar
Cpl, FDF reserve

Sometimes I think that motorcyclists are like gun enthusiasts, there is two camps (well at least), FUDDS against "tactical" crowd. Helmets ALWAYS vs helmet use by choice.

I choose not to wear helmet where there is no helmet law. Personal preference, you do whatever you want. But quit whining about my choice and quit pushing your agenda about helmet use. I'm not pushing mine.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if some people go overboard with the full gear thing. I mean I don't ride wearing shorts or flip flops. But also seeing some "hardcore" touring motorists back in Spain several years ago for instance, they were coming from Scandinavia. All in full face helmets, leather gear (jacket and pants), motorcycle boots, the ones that are awkward to walk on, gloves etc etc. It was close to 95F, these guys were sweating like pigs because not used to the heat, close to heatstroke even while riding and they wouldn't get any of the gear off. Me, I was riding wearing half helmet, jeans, long sleeve shirt and gloves and enjoying myself. I could argue that those guys having fatigue because of the full gear making them hot were more prone to accident than me without full gear. I was more alert.

That was not the only time I have seen that. I have been in riding courses where people are close to passing out during maneuvers because they are using too heavy gear, full face helmets instead of half helmets etc. Had a 6' 3" guy in one, wearing a leather jacket and full face helmet, it was 82F and sunny. He made it through half way of first exercise and was done. Next time he showed up in half helmet and long sleeve shirt and did fine.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #49
Thruxton-Texas
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sometimes I think that motorcyclists are like gun enthusiasts, there is two camps (well at least), FUDDS against "tactical" crowd. Helmets ALWAYS vs helmet use by choice.

I choose not to wear helmet where there is no helmet law. Personal preference, you do whatever you want. But quit whining about my choice and quit pushing your agenda about helmet use. I'm not pushing mine.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if some people go overboard with the full gear thing. I mean I don't ride wearing shorts or flip flops. But also seeing some "hardcore" touring motorists back in Spain several years ago for instance, they were coming from Scandinavia. All in full face helmets, leather gear (jacket and pants), motorcycle boots, the ones that are awkward to walk on, gloves etc etc. It was close to 95F, these guys were sweating like pigs because not used to the heat, close to heatstroke even while riding and they wouldn't get any of the gear off. Me, I was riding wearing half helmet, jeans, long sleeve shirt and gloves and enjoying myself. I could argue that those guys having fatigue because of the full gear making them hot were more prone to accident than me without full gear. I was more alert.

That was not the only time I have seen that. I have been in riding courses where people are close to passing out during maneuvers because they are using too heavy gear, full face helmets instead of half helmets etc. Had a 6' 3" guy in one, wearing a leather jacket and full face helmet, it was 82F and sunny. He made it through half way of first exercise and was done. Next time he showed up in half helmet and long sleeve shirt and did fine.
You're free to do whatever you damn please; I didn't say otherwise. As long as you're willing to accept the consequences of your actions, you're free to use whatever level of protection that you're comfortable with.

I rode in Houston summer weather; it gets up to 100* F +. If you stay hydrated, you can develop a tolerance for higher than normal temperatures. As a weldor, I made my living wearing a hood, leather sleeves, gloves, etc. while next to a hot welding arc, all year round. I won't say it was pleasant; but I got used to it.
Sweating like a pig is how the body regulates temperature.

The environment of a riding course, is not the same as riding at speed on the street; and there are not any dangerous obstacles, other than the road surface itself. You can get away with a lesser level of protection in that environment.
.......James.
Building guns whose pressure-bearing parts are made from low quality castings, of unverified materials, from a 3rd World foundry, is the moral equivalent of selling hamburgers made by a cook who didn't wash his hands after taking a dump. ........James.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #50
HEELS357

AKaholic #: 185585

I used to joke with my friends that riding my bike across town was my extreme sport. They can bungee jump, skydive, rock climb, I'd stick to ride my bike. But now it's become a life-or-death situation. Used to be if you could get eye contact with other motorist you were good to go but now they look you straight in the eye and run you down and not even bat an eye and you know who the winner winner chicken dinner is going to be even if they're at fault?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #51
Barth
Likes Suchkas

AKaholic #: 168359

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEELS357 View Post
I used to joke with my friends that riding my bike across town was my extreme sport. They can bungee jump, skydive, rock climb, I'd stick to ride my bike. But now it's become a life-or-death situation. Used to be if you could get eye contact with other motorist you were good to go but now they look you straight in the eye and run you down and not even bat an eye and you know who the winner winner chicken dinner is going to be even if they're at fault?
Some bitch old lady tried to run me off the road last weekend.
Came up from behind, pulled beside me and proceeded to come into my lane!
Forced me off the road onto the shoulder while I laid on the horn.
And I was driving a Tacoma!!!

Could have played bumper tag with the (*&_(* but she had a $800 beater truck
and likely no insurance
Just wasn't worth it.

Used to ride motorcycles.
Had some close calls
Decided I liked my chances driving a truck instead.
Barth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #52
bubbazan68
black honda

AKaholic #: 3654

great actor untill

You can lead a Human to knowledge. but you can’t make him think.
bubbazan68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #53
WinterWar
Cpl, FDF reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruxton-Texas View Post
You're free to do whatever you damn please; I didn't say otherwise...
Oh, I wasn't referring to you on my post, if you thought that. I meant in general. Sometimes some people are pushing that "wear a helmet" agenda like dems are pushing gun control.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #54
Gunr223
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164442

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Trollo Mejor View Post
He is a soggy pile of gorilla shit. I'm bummed he made it.
Yeah, the first one is a LITTLE understandable, but he was probably going faster than his skill level.
The second one he deserved worse than he got.
Gunr223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #55
Thruxton-Texas
Veteran Member

Quote:
Oh, I wasn't referring to you on my post, if you thought that. I meant in general. Sometimes some people are pushing that "wear a helmet" agenda like dems are pushing gun control.
Fair enough. FWIW, I don't agree with mandatory helmet or seat-belt laws either.
Common sense cannot be mandated by law; despite the best efforts of the busy-bodies who make legislation about things they don't know shit from Shinola about.

As a grown man I accept responsibility for my own wellbeing. I don't need someone to demand that I wear eye/hearing protection when I shoot, seat-belts when I drive, or to wear a helmet/gear when I ride my bike. But it doesn't stop me from putting in my two cents worth when the subject come up for discussion.
........James.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #56
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor

AKaholic #: 73701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
This is america where you should be able to do as you want. A lot of motorcycle guys i know dont like the decreased hearing and visibility of a helmet.
Damned straight. Long, long ago I crossed the 500K mile threshold - most of it ridden without a helmet.

The DOT-approved helmet is designed to pass testing for a 13.6 mile-per-hour impact speed - essentially falling backward from standing straight up. Nothing more, and no guarantees of anything.

Safe riding trumps safe crashing EVERY TIME.

Ing. Robert Forbus, International
Tools & Solutions For The Safe Disassembly & Assembly Of Your Kalashnikova Variant
Email - Robert.Forbus@robertforbus.com
Please do not use the PM system here to contact me!
Website - https://www.robertforbus.com

Tennessee Firearms Association member
Gun Owners of America member
N̶R̶A̶ ̶M̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ (that's right - those mofos sold us out)
Patriot Guard Rider

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge...Stupidity is a commitment to ignorance. The first is easily remedied with facts...The second cannot be fixed...
Rforbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #57
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
This is america where you should be able to do as you want. A lot of motorcycle guys i know dont like the decreased hearing and visibility of a helmet.
I agree with you 100%.

While we make choices that OTHERS want to criticize because of health, safety, etc
I feel you should be able to do whatever the hell you want , as long as it follows the rules of the road and isn't endangering others.

Those that like to judge others free choices (within the law) are doing exactly what Liberals do with their anti-gun sentiment.
It is YOUR life, and you're a grown ass man, do what makes you happy. Eat 1lb of bacon a day, or ride without a helmet.
It's your life.

With that being said, I still wear a lid, gloves, boots, and a jacket or vest when I ride.
ALWAYS wore a full face SNELL helmet with all my rocket bikes, but the harleys after a few years I wear small helmets, not DOT or SNELL.
Full face absolutely restricts alot, so yeah it is safer AFTER a crash but visibility and hearing is cut down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruxton-Texas View Post
You're free to do whatever you damn please; I didn't say otherwise. As long as you're willing to accept the consequences of your actions, you're free to use whatever level of protection that you're comfortable with.
Agreed with this.

We all know what we're up against riding in the 1st place

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961

Last edited by Aceshigh; 04-15-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #58
Thruxton-Texas
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rforbus View Post
The DOT-approved helmet is designed to pass testing for a 13.6 mile-per-hour impact speed - essentially falling backward from standing straight up. Nothing more, and no guarantees of anything.

Safe riding trumps safe crashing EVERY TIME.
The DOT standards are a joke. As long as the helmet being tested doesn't break into a million pieces when dropped on the pavement, it passes; cheap helmets for cheap heads. I have a full-faced Shoei helmet that conforms to the Snell standards; the same as the professional racers use. Even then, they're only good for one impact; and as you say, there are no guarantees.

I can't argue against safe riding. I was constantly on the lookout for threats; just like a fighter pilot. The other "road users" (read: unobservant/hostile assholes) are a bit like terrorists. They only have get lucky once; you have to be lucky every time. If it weren't for them, I'd still be riding. ......James.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #59
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Quote:

Likely more to reduce wind noise in there ears.
I don't think in my state you can legaly wear ear plugs when you ride.

I'd rather be heard coming.
I don't need stupid loud but I don't really want a quiet bike.

Last week I almost changed lanes into a bike but I heard him first.
Would have been my fault.

I wear a helmet most of the time.
My choice.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #60
ColonelKorn
Certified Certifier

AKaholic #: 6198

I almost scream when I see goobers riding crotch rockets wearing wife-beaters, shorts and flip-flops. Not wearing a helmet is 11 on the retarded scale
Old 04-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #61
sigking
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbazan68 View Post
great actor untill

Plus +1

Going to research to be sure. If so, 100% helmet would have kept him in the game.

https://youtu.be/BSNQ3F0DWPE

it wont let me embed. by user

Last edited by sigking; 04-15-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #62
WinterWar
Cpl, FDF reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigking View Post
Plus +1

Going to research to be sure. If so, 100% helmet would have kept him in the game.

https://youtu.be/BSNQ3F0DWPE

it wont let me embed. by user
Yeah his massive drug use had nothing to do with him being that way.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #63
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
Yeah his massive drug use had nothing to do with him being that way.
LOL Exactly, dude was a coke fiend.
His motorcycle accident was 1988, and he's done MANY movies after 1988 where he was still normal.

His cocaine addiction is what really contributed to his whacked out mentality.
He OD'd in 1995 and went straight cookoo years after that.

One of the best movies I liked him in AFTER his motorcycle accident was 1992's Under Siege.
You'd have never known he was nearly killed 4 years prior.

You can see exactly how active in acting roles he's been the 30 years past that MC accident.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000997/

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #64
Mauserdude67

AKaholic #: 193901

We've had some shit weather here in the Texas panhandle, 50 mph wind and severe drought combine to create shitty riding weather. Yesterday (Sunday) was picture perfect. About 70 degrees and no wind. I geared up and made the 40 mile run to Palo Duro Canyon. On they way I saw all sorts of "outlaws" with their patched vests and zero helmets. I also saw the "sensible" old-timers on their Goldwing trikes with head to toe protective gear.

The beauty of this country is being able to make your own decision, whether informed or idiotic.

Me? I wear full face helmet, leather jacket, leather gloves, kevlar lined jeans and leather boots. It's my choice and I'll live or die with it.

The state of Texas has a law on the books that allows you opt out of wearing a helmet AS LONG as you can show proof of insurance that will provide you with adequate medical care if you crash. It doesn't keep people from needing assistance, but it sure beats me having to pay off the care needed for their mistakes.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #65
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:

Good post.

So much can kill us everyday. I choose to enjoy life, and when fate decides it's time to end me, I get ended.
I'm not living under a rock worried about it. I do however avoid going downtown on my Harley's though

The taxi drivers and lunatics in the city (I'm one of them) are crazy on the streets, and thieves are my biggest concern
Taxi's are often my biggest worry with the Habib's and Africans.

I would be fake if I were to lie and say I've contemplated selling my bikes completely because of my kids.
So I just have to be more diligent and watch drivers more, and stay out of the left lane ......

That center yellow lines are just an imaginary contract between a driver and the state , and attentions spans get deviated easier these days.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #66
Mclaughlin

AKaholic #: 186391

It's bad in PA majority ride with no gear and don't even have a endorsement/insurance

Just wish more people would take advantage of the free MSF course offered by the state but then again some people only learn the hard way
Mclaughlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #67
TangoUniform
за мой Автомат Калашникова
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 167175

Only cover what you want to keep.
Это моя винтовка. Существует много, таких как она, но эта единственная моя!
TangoUniform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #68
slmjim
At the CK interface

AKaholic #: 173895

Sometimes a Standard Citizen will ask me why I wear ATGATT, especially in hot weather. My usual response is:

"Ever see what moving skin does to concrete? Leaves a long, oily reddish streak with bits of meat & bone in it. Sometimes begins to stink, but eventually rain will wash it away and it's as if it never happened."

They usually get it.

I don't know of any pro Moto GP, Superbike or Motocross Rider that doesn't wear ATGATT on the street. Those Riders have more talent in the tip of their little fingers than I've accumulated in 50 yrs. of street Ridin'. That's well beyond good enough for me.

Good Shootin'
slmjim
((DB)) #7.62 Mooselimb Mudslimer

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved
at the same level of thinking we were at
when we created them."
Albert Einstein

“The refusal of the Western elite class
to protect their nations from jihadist infiltration
is the biggest betrayal in history.”

Serge Trifkovic
slmjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #69
WinterWar
Cpl, FDF reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmjim View Post

I don't know of any pro Moto GP, Superbike or Motocross Rider that doesn't wear ATGATT on the street. Those Riders have more talent in the tip of their little fingers than I've accumulated in 50 yrs. of street Ridin'. That's well beyond good enough for me.

Good Shootin'
slmjim
That could also be an insurance/contract thing for professional riders. Of course not saying it is the only reason.

Like that riding instructor I know, when they sign a contract it says that regardless of state laws etc helmet use in mandatory. Also they must ALWAYS use riding gloves, boots etc that cover the ankle, long sleeve shirt or jacket and long pants. If he is caught riding without those he is violating the contract and could be fired.

Same thing with other professional athletes etc. For instance one Finnish F1 driver used to drive rally races using a false identity, also one Finnish NHL player did that. That was because their contracts forbid any dangerous activities or sports.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #70
El Trollo Mejor
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 186187

Quote:
That could also be an insurance/contract thing for professional riders. Of course not saying it is the only reason.

Like that riding instructor I know, when they sign a contract it says that regardless of state laws etc helmet use in mandatory. Also they must ALWAYS use riding gloves, boots etc that cover the ankle, long sleeve shirt or jacket and long pants. If he is caught riding without those he is violating the contract and could be fired.

Same thing with other professional athletes etc. For instance one Finnish F1 driver used to drive rally races using a false identity, also one Finnish NHL player did that. That was because their contracts forbid any dangerous activities or sports.
Its actually mandated by the FIM as a rule for competiton. See section 2.4.5.2 "Riders Safety Equipment" at http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/d...09/no_cache/1/

Also, I think most of the equipment is common sense when you're flying around with dozens of other riders at 100% and 210 MPH

None of the above is legal advice, ese. All posts are the mere opinion of El Trollo. Think of abuelita before doing anything that might make you a criminal.
El Trollo Mejor is online now   Reply With Quote