Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 03:20 AM   #1
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226
Default Video Review Of My Semi Auto From HMG

Not the first video on this rifle on youtube I know, but here's our take on it anyway....

https://youtu.be/A7pq3YDGhZo

cheers,
Jay & Misha,
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:31 AM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

After all these videos you've posted, are you still unaware you can embed them here for us to watch?
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:40 AM   #3
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Unaware? no; unable, yes. Please go and read the T91 Clone thread. We were talking about this very thing there just a few days ago.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
After all these videos you've posted, are you still unaware you can embed them here for us to watch?
People just do it to annoy you nails. After all its your forum and we're just on it.
ncreptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Unaware? no; unable, yes. Please go and read the T91 Clone thread. We were talking about this very thing there just a few days ago.
You know it's just typing, right?

You appear to be completely able to type.

This is all it takes:

Code:
[youtube]A7pq3YDGhZo[/youtube]
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

He's blind..
He likely uses a speech to text program to type. He's also one of the smartest(Far smarter than I am) gun collectors out there so cut him a little slack maybe?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

http://www.semiuk59.com/cetme-l-mailing-list-.html

This is the one I have a interest in. I like that it is offered with a Picatinny rail.

hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Hey, i just am happy that i have a Mod.L of any kind at all. If you go back a few weeks in the HMG STG thread, people were suggesting I get my kits back from they before i lost them altogether. Afterall, they are worth $400ish each now. So just a few weeks ago, i thought I'd be lucky not to loose them. Now, I actually have a pretty cool and well functioning rifle. Hey, gotta give credit where credit is due right?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

To save nails from having a stroke.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #10
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Yeah, guy seems like he is a little on the high-strung side.

The funny part is we were just having a talk about the inbedding thing a couple days ago, and Nails always tells people who ask questions that have already been answered to use the search (or something along those lines).
Old 04-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #11
soul rebel
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167399

Interesting rifle. Fared well in the infamous inrangetv mud test.
soul rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 PM   #12
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul rebel View Post
Interesting rifle. Fared well in the infamous inrangetv mud test.
I would not put much credence in that mud test. The M1 Garand failed that mud test big time but that rifle has gone down in history as one of the best
battle rifles of WW2. Spanish Soldiers were generally not impressed with the CETME L at all. As mentioned in the Video it had a very short service life.

All that being said It does make a nice collectors item for someone into Spanish firearms of the Mid - late 20th century. I'm still on the fence as to getting one. I guess it will depend on what Dave Bane will charge for one.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:22 AM   #13
mishaco
Curio & Relic

This one just seemed to be intended for me. So who am I to argue with fate?

Good news is that the cost was so spread out over literally years, that getting it now feels like basically getting a free rifle heh.

I do enjoy shooting it.
It actually shares as much in common with the SiG PE57 as it does the HK33 or G41.
I know that sounds odd, but think about it for a minute.

Regarding mud tests online, yeah definitely take any of them with large grains of salt.
They are done to entertain, which is 100% fine; but they aren't really done to any kind of scientific standard or anything like that.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #14
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansellhd View Post
I would not put much credence in that mud test. The M1 Garand failed that mud test big time but that rifle has gone down in history as one of the best
battle rifles of WW2. Spanish Soldiers were generally not impressed with the CETME L at all. As mentioned in the Video it had a very short service life.

All that being said It does make a nice collectors item for someone into Spanish firearms of the Mid - late 20th century. I'm still on the fence as to getting one. I guess it will depend on what Dave Bane will charge for one.
The G41 rifles were not that great either but we both have those. Grab yourself a Cetme L when you can. Besides I doubt it would be the go to SHTF gun if you ever needed one. We have our trusty AKs for that.

Also worth mentioning they are very photogenic and since you love sharing photos the L would be right up your alley.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:26 PM   #15
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

I've been tempted to pick up a CETME LC kit to have built up. Haven't looked lately but I bet they're few and far between still. Cool looking variant that's even more obscure. Or if anyone knows where I can find just the stock so I can interchange with my L from HMG, that would be great. I need to dig mine out of the safe and finally shoot it.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #16
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
The G41 rifles were not that great either but we both have those. Grab yourself a Cetme L when you can. Besides I doubt it would be the go to SHTF gun if you ever needed one. We have our trusty AKs for that.

Also worth mentioning they are very photogenic and since you love sharing photos the L would be right up your alley.
Well Reptile if the new one's come in < 2K I most likely will get one just to go with my other Spanish stuff.

BTW I don't own a G41, just G/K43 rifles. I never did warm up to the looks of the G41 and yes it did suck in combat.

Last edited by hansellhd; 04-18-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #17
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado View Post
I've been tempted to pick up a CETME LC kit to have built up. Haven't looked lately but I bet they're few and far between still. Cool looking variant that's even more obscure. Or if anyone knows where I can find just the stock so I can interchange with my L from HMG, that would be great. I need to dig mine out of the safe and finally shoot it.
The buttstocks will not interchange. Checkout Misha's Video.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:25 AM   #18
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Yep, the L and LC use different receiver configurations.
One of the big differences is the location of the recoil spring. Beyond that an LC also has a 12.5" barrel rather than 15.75", so its not just a stock swap there either.

These really aren't much like the HK33 at all.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #19
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

Well damn. Now I have to get an LC. I really thought they would interchange. Admittedly, I didn't get a chance to watch the full video. I watched a few minutes and then had to get ready for work. I won't be going the SBR route if/when I do get the funds to have one built. With mine and my wife's choice of careers, I can't afford to have rifles that are illegal in commie states. I'm still after an AR180 or a Colt M16A2 clone so until those are tucked in the safe, the LC will have to wait.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #20
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Well Reptile if the new one's come in < 2K I most likely will get one just to go with my other Spanish stuff.

BTW I don't own a G41, just G/K43 rifles. I never did warm up to the looks of the G41 and yes it did suck in combat.
I've always thought they were a rather homely looking rifle too. Still worth adding one of each to the collection. That green really pops in pictures.(Cetme L.. Not a G41, I'd be sad to see a green G41)
Old 04-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #21
WebleyMKVI

AKaholic #: 194428

Quote:

Really? I always thought both G41s look neat. I like how the (M) has the bolt handle and all, and how both have the gas trap at the end. Look pretty mean in my opinion.
WebleyMKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #22
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyMKVI View Post
Really? I always thought both G41s look neat. I like how the (M) has the bolt handle and all, and how both have the gas trap at the end. Look pretty mean in my opinion.
I guess I was just never willing to put 5K into a rifle that form an historical perspective was a failure on the Battlefield. From a collectors standpoint it would be a nice addition.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #23
WebleyMKVI

AKaholic #: 194428

Quote:
I guess I was just never willing to put 5K into a rifle that form an historical perspective was a failure on the Battlefield. From a collectors standpoint it would be a nice addition.
Understandable. I prefer shooting my G41s to my G43. Wacky and interesting shooting experience for sure, and the gas trap system is just super mechanically interesting!
WebleyMKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #24
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

Quote:

Agreed.

The mud test is interesting, but it is not the end all be all test of reliability. The ability of the average soldier to keep the rifle working is the true measure. A less reliable design that is easy to clean and return to service is better than one that is more reliable but difficult to clean/service.
It is really the whole package that needs to be looked at not just one tiny aspect.. What in range TV does is to help clear up myths, their testing has basically shown that a 1/4 teaspoon of dirt in the right spot on any gun disables it. The bolt lugs and chamber are especially vulnerable.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #25
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Hey a G41(w) is down right cheap compared to a gas trap model M1 Garand.
There's always that hehe.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:45 AM   #26
gun papa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 8912

Quote:
He's blind..
He likely uses a speech to text program to type. He's also one of the smartest(Far smarter than I am) gun collectors out there so cut him a little slack maybe?
I love his videos and his knowledge, but the whole time I watch I ask myself, "Fuck, is this guy blind?"

Three cheers for him. Great knowledge. Nothing cooler than a blind gun nut.

Too late of a reminder, on the belt off to the Grinder. papa
gun papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #27
greendevil41

AKaholic #: 8106

Informative video. Glad he was able to get his kits built and the rifle looks great.

In regards to the G-41 rifle, it seems odd the Germans went with the Bang gas system when they already had examples of the SVT 40 to reverse engineer. Teutonic pride I suppose. I have one and they are interesting from a historical stand point but as previously noted it possesses a significant front end weight bias and the fixed mag also sucks. Its arrival at the front must have been a disappointment to the soldiers hoping for a better weapon. The complicated G-41(M) even more so.
greendevil41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #28
mishaco
Curio & Relic

The no hole in barrel (for a gas port) thing seems to have been important to the Germans.

While yes they had the SVT to examine, remember that it wasn't known for superb accuracy.
Perhaps they thought its gas system was to blame, so that was why they forced the use of the gas trap system?

Also, the earlier SVT38 had problems with its mags falling out. So perhaps the Germans wanted to avoid this by just using a fixed one?

Either way, it is clear that they learned their lesson pretty fast with the G43 appearing just a year later.

BTW:, the G41 i mention in this video is decidedly not the G41 of WWII fame. Just wanted to note that.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #29
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
The no hole in barrel (for a gas port) thing seems to have been important to the Germans.

While yes they had the SVT to examine, remember that it wasn't known for superb accuracy.
Perhaps they thought its gas system was to blame, so that was why they forced the use of the gas trap system?

Also, the earlier SVT38 had problems with its mags falling out. So perhaps the Germans wanted to avoid this by just using a fixed one?

Either way, it is clear that they learned their lesson pretty fast with the G43 appearing just a year later.

BTW:, the G41 i mention in this video is decidedly not the G41 of WWII fame. Just wanted to note that.

http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/hk-g41

Just wondering how the CETME L is superior tp the HK G41? I know the HK G41 never went into serious production but it would seem to me after owning
many HK roller delayed Riles that the HK has a step up on the "L" in the quality department.

The CETME L just seam's to be a cheap rushed not too well thought out weapon to me. If I had to be in a real fight I would rather roll with the HK33/41, Sig 550-1, FN-FNC, Stg77, AR70, Daewoo K2, FAMAS or even (I dare say) the M16. I won't even mention the AKM/VZ58 seeing they were the opposition. LOL

On a side note the CETME L has no combat record to speak of. (that I can think of)

I agree about the collectability factor if one is into Spanish Guns.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #30
soul rebel
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167399

I don't know what you guys are talking about - I base all of my firearms related decisions on the results of those mud tests!
soul rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #31
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul rebel View Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about - I base all of my firearms related decisions on the results of those mud tests!
Every single gun I own was 100% in combat. I mean I don't own one single gun that was not the golden standard in a war.

I don't understand folks who bash the Cetme L, I can't tell if its jealousy or what it is but anytime I mention it or show it lots love to see the rifle but there's always that person thats gotta mention "well they were a failure" as if we only collect the most perfect of guns that were in service for 30+ years. The luger is a far from perfect handgun that had many issues in combat compared to later more reliable pistols, does that make it a bad handgun or change the fact people love to collect them and shell out $100,000+ in some cases for the rarer ones?

Going off on a rant I apologize!
Old 04-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #32
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Every single gun I own was 100% in combat. I mean I don't own one single gun that was not the golden standard in a war.

I don't understand folks who bash the Cetme L, I can't tell if its jealousy or what it is but anytime I mention it or show it lots love to see the rifle but there's always that person thats gotta mention "well they were a failure" as if we only collect the most perfect of guns that were in service for 30+ years. The luger is a far from perfect handgun that had many issues in combat compared to later more reliable pistols, does that make it a bad handgun or change the fact people love to collect them and shell out $100,000+ in some cases for the rarer ones?

Going off on a rant I apologize!

When the P06/P08 was introduced (1906/08) it was one of the best military side arms in the world. Can the same thing be said about the CETME L when it was introduced as the new Spanish Assault rifle.

In my case jealousy has nothing to do with it. People collect Military surplus Guns for many different reasons. My interest in Military History was the driving factor for me to start shooting/collecting back in the day.

Maybe when I get my own CETME L my position on the gun will change, but I doubt it. Like I stated 2 or 3 times before it will make a nice addition to my Spanish collection and it will also be a addition to my roller delayed rifle collection.

It is my belief that Spain should have replaced the CETME with the HK G41.
If they did that instead of producing their on domestic (mediocre) Assault Rifle I believe the G41 would still be in service today. They would have never had to adopt the G36. (as we all know the G36 has it's own set of problems)

Old 04-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #33
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Sorry, but I don't think i said the CETME-L was superior/better to the HK33 or HK G41. I did say in the video that it has some elements of the G41, especially the whole magwell thing.
From a mechanical standpoint, i do find the L to be more interesting than the HK33, but that doesn't equal 'better' just different.

I wouldn't call the gun a rousing success, but it wasn't the only design to go into and out of military service quite rapidly during the 1980-2000 time period. Technology for optics and devices and all that was progressing rapidly at the time, so not a few models were left in the dust.
Honestly, the L85 should have been one of these, but national pride and financial investment have kept it in service.
I think Spain was feeling something similar with the L, wanting a domestic design.

I will say this about the thing over the HK33 though. It has more of a purpose built for 5.56mm feeling compared with the hK, which just feels like a scaled up MP5 or down G3.
And i do like how the L shoots more. It is more straight-back and has a less massive bolt bouncing around in there.
It was also cheaper to produce for Spain.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #34
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

Hansell I know your budget is beyond needing to be jealous of someone else's stuff and I was not referencing you but speaking in general.

Many of us have guns in our collection that were never top of the charts. Take the Makarov or the PSL.. my god how many times do I hear people talk shit about the Dragunov as "my PSL is just as good as a dragunov which is not a good design" When I could not afford a Dragunov when I was a kid and had a PSL I said the same shit and it's all about jealousy and the inability to afford what you really want.. Now I own both because both are great guns. So when I hear the same bs about the Cetme L?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #35
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

I don't want to belabor the point. IMHO the "L" will always be a second rate Rifle fielded by a second rate power. The only reason they are popular amongst collectors is their rarity in N. America. I see no other attribute to owning one other than that. Reptile funny you should bring up the PSL. I feel the same way about that Rifle also, that's why I sold the one I had 5 years ago.

Part of this is just me playing Devil's advocate, no need to get hot under the collar.If you Guy's like the "L" well God Bless.

Last edited by hansellhd; 04-20-2018 at 11:29 PM.